GDB: Old Dog -- New Tricks

I see the same thoughts go through our heads. 81F and 55% RH- Can't argue with that.
I hadn't really registered that lowering the light would be more of a chore in the "playhouse". (I think thats a good name for this tent by the way).
I've never thought about naming my tent SC. :Rasta:

Looking great brother I'm back up to date! If not too much trouble would you consider switching the front ladies to the back and see if growth speed switches up?

Also not sure if you noted in your notes as I'm blizzled lol sounds like something trala would say anyways ho many days does it take to empty the trays? And does your mix sit stable in that time?

A few short questions made long by me 😎 but their looking good all round bro 👌✌️
Thanks GV.

I moved the front plants to the rear this evening.

I don't know how long it would take for them to empty their reservoirs, as I have not let them get to empty. They seem to be drinking nearly half of it every day so I imagine they'd be empty or nearly empty in 2 days.

When you ask about stability are you referring to Ph? If so, I have not tested the contents of the reservoirs. Could the Ph drift out of range over the relatively short amount of time liquid remains in the tray?

Hello all.

I had an interesting evening yesterday. No, I had an eye-opening evening yesterday!

I started using the Photone app. (After I used a piece of bond paper to fashion a diffuser.)

Holy, moly. At the exact same spot above a plant where my lux meters reads 38K, the Photon app says 53K!

Something is amiss.🤨 (Duh!)

Is 38k what the photone app says?
The reason I ask, is at 185 watts, and 2 feet away from my light, the lux reading is 40k..
I wonder if my meter is wonky or something...:hmmmm:
Your meter is prolly fine @Carcass! Mine, on the other hand, may be useless. Since our lights are hung at the same distant and mine is a tad more powerful than yours my value should be higher.

---------------------------

but I'm watching the curling leaf edges (particularly Hash Lover and
Lemon Bubble) for signs of additional light stress.
But get this. To get a reading of 38K on Photone I had to go from 10 to 4 on the adjustment dial!

Yikes. @InTheShed you were right (but it was awfully hot too).

---------------------------

But the 2 plants in the rear have not been showing the same signs. Why is that? The lux readings vary little from the front positions to the rear ones. Hmm.
If not too much trouble would you consider switching the front ladies to the back and see if growth speed switches up?
So as @Greenvein suggested, I switched the plants positions.

-----------------------------
You three gents have been really helpful in greasing these rusty wheels! Don't ever change! :thanks:

Apparently I was blinded by the light. :straightface:

Thanks for looking in.

PEACE

My Photone app was also completely out of whack until I calibrated it to my lux meter, and now the readings make much more sense!
Shed, I want to believe my Photone reading is accurate, or at least much closer to accurate than my lux meter! It seems you read it another way.

My lux meter was designed to read lux, while my phone camera was designed to take selfies. :)
Well my lux sux. Carcass got a reading of 38K from 2 feet beneath 185 watts. My lux meter gave me that same reading from 2 feet beneath 1000 watts.

Have you tested the watts at the wall with a Kill-a-watt meter? They're about the same price as a new lux meter though (~$35).

Also, two different lights for what it's worth. His fits in a 2x2 and yours covers a lot more area.
A Kill-a-watt meter? Hell no! That sounds like something that would endanger my well-being if I touched it. :)

You're still applying grease though! Ahhhh.

I've got a 150 watt light in my 2x2. Tomorrow I see what my lux meter/Photone comparison yields in that tent.

:thanks: again!

I moved the front plants to the rear this evening.
👌 Im observing this one as mine do the same hopefully they even out.
Could the Ph drift out of range over the relatively short amount of time liquid remains in the tray?
Short answer is yeah. But if you have food mixed sitting before the trays the should be ok. Just something I'd watch for for a few days in veg and a few days with flower mix.

Hello all.

I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT?

If you were here yesterday you know that I think my lux meter is inaccurate. I came to this conclusion because after loading the Photone app on my phone it provided measurements that were way out of line with my lux meter readings.

I did a comparison this morning, using both my lux meter and the Photone app in my 2x2 tent.

For my baseline I used information that @Carcass provided about his light. He grows in a box. I'm unsure if it's 2x2 but it looks close enough to those dimensions for the purposes of this test. He says his lux meter reads 38K from 2 feet below 184 watts of light.

I have a 150 watt light in my 2x2 tent. I raised it to 2ft above the tent floor. I then laid both my lux meter and the Photone app on the tent floor directly below the light.

Since Carcass got a 38K reading at this distance from 184 watts I should expect my lux to get a slightly lower reading from the same distance with a 150 watt light.

Here's what I got:

lux-photone compare 3-18-24.JPG

So the Photone app is the one the gives a value slightly lower than what Carcass got. The lux meter is significantly lower than his result. A value of 9000 separates the two reading.

To take it a step further, I held both meters up to a window on this partially sunny day. The lux meter read 52K, the Photone app 61K. Another difference of 9000.

At some point I'll need to embrace one meter or the other and just go with it. I think I've reached that point. Based on the results I've seen this morning, my lux meter sux!

I've been lucky lately. For my past few grows I haven't really used my lux meter to determine how much light my plants are getting. Since I've been growing with @ViparSpectra lights I've mostly relied on the positioning/intensity recommendations from the vendor. I only used the lux meter to report what the meter was reading from the position and intensity recommended by Vipar. That is, my lux meter was not used as a tool to guide me but more as a reporting tool.

With this new Phlizon light, I'm in the dark (Ha!). I need lux/dli readings that I can use for a guide.

I'm putting my faith in the Photone app for now.

-----------------------

Please feel free to be critical of any assumptions I have reached in this post. I make no claims to knowledge of scientific principles. I'm sure there is ample room to find fault with my testing methodology or some other aspect of my effort.

At some point, I may download a different light meter app to my phone and compare that app's readings to the Photone app. Getting readings from another app that are in line with the Photone readings would increase my comfort level.

-----------------------

Thanks for your time.

PEACE

I'm waiting for the journal "New Dog, Old Tricks". I know the old dog too well.
Say what you will geezer. I'm going to keep wagging my tail! 😁

Another thing. 14 pages in and I get the call? Wow. I used to be down around the 11 or 12 page mark. Glad to see you found a few more friends.
:kisstwo:
I didn't call you.

Hey! Did anybody in here call Sleepy MrSauga?!

I'm putting my faith in the Photone app for now.
The way to test the meters is to use the chart from the lighting manufacturer. Set the light to the height they specify and measure in the areas they do. They've put those charts together using calibrated quality meters so that should be your reference point.
I didn't call you.

Hey! Did anybody in here call Sleepy MrSauga?!
Yeah, you did! ↓↓↓
Only post every 25 days? You're confusing me with @MrSauga!

I make no claims to knowledge of scientific principles. I'm sure there is ample room to find fault with my testing methodology
And here is the proof:
The way to test the meters is to use the chart from the lighting manufacturer. Set the light to the height they specify and measure in the areas they do. They've put those charts together using calibrated quality meters so that should be your reference point.
Thanks Shed. Will do!

Yeah, you did! ↓↓↓
That wasn't a call, that was a mention! 😁

Have you tested the watts at the wall with a Kill-a-watt meter?
That's what I use to set my light, since the dial only has 25/50/75% on it (and those numbers aren't even close to accurate..)
You can pick up a Kill-a-watt at Harbor Freight for $28.00, takes the guesswork out of setting your light..

Back
Top Bottom