GDB: Old Dog -- New Tricks

That was yesterday man! It's palm trees today! :rofl: It came out really good! I just now finished doing the math. Here ya go.
Check my math before believing me please.

The recipe: Edit: Thankfully InTheShed has mentioned that rosen has been historically in the 70 to 80% area thc. I remember reading that now! I can't fix this right now. I presume the fix is to divide drops by 4? If 80% Since I used 20%. This tincture may be 4 x stronger than 7.5.
7.5 x 4 = 30mg per 8 drops Yikes!

4 grams of rosen @ 20% thc . Decarbed for 35 minutes on a stovetop at 230 to 250F. Until it stopped bubbling. Then I added the oil 10 ml at a time stirring.

That 20% = .8 grams thc

I plugged those numbers into a dosing calculator

And used 7.5 mg for the end dose
40 ml for my oil which is fractionated coconut oil
And .8 grams for input weight

The calculator gave me .4 ml for the dose.

So I went to the drops to ml conversion place

And got 8 drops to dose 7.5 mg of thc. New updated thc figure is 8 drops = 30 mg thc I'm almost sure. Gratitude to @InTheShed ! I hope the new figure is correct. You all have to be able to understand that this is strongish. I find it perfect. My wife will probable want to dilute it by 50%. It's all good as long as testing is one drop at a time if you're easy to get high with edibles. My opinion.

Edit 2: So I plugged 3200 in in
stead of 800 in the thc section of the calculator for weight amounts and got .1 ml and in the drops calculator that works out to 2 drops. That's pretty strong! I'm doubling my wifes before a mistake happens.

I tried 5 or 6 drops 2 hours ago and had/have a good mild Zoot. My wife tried 2 drops and she was happy with that for a first try. I could double my go at it for a good Zooting. It was mild yet there. Still is. Most folks would be happy with that I think. My edible tolerance is weird. It's pleasant in my mouth as I held it as long as I could sub ling.
Don't forget to check my math before you do yours folks.

31 minutes since and it's Zoot city! This might replace toking more than I thought. Thanks for the collaboration @InTheShed ! I'm in need of a village! ☘️
I will say this. In my own personal experience with ingesting cannabis through the gut ..... It seems that it becomes even more effective the less that I vape/smoke out. Might just be me but it seems like it's just increased in strength and time even though it's the same dose. Happy Tuesday to you!! 😎✌️

That's what I use to set my light, since the dial only has 25/50/75% on it (and those numbers aren't even close to accurate..)
You can pick up a Kill-a-watt at Harbor Freight for $28.00, takes the guesswork out of setting your light..
So this meter tells you what Carcass, how many watts you're pulling from the wall? Why is that need-to-know info?

Say I'm using a light meter of some sort to regulate the light my plants get. And let's say my desire is 500 par and I adjust the lights (height or intensity) to make it so. Then I use a kill-a-watt meter and find that my, say 100w light, is only pulling 85 watts. Then what? As long as I'm getting 500 par to the plants why would I care? Are you using wattage targets during various stages of your grows?

Hello all.

It's Day 27 for the New Trick girls and our heatwave has ended!

It's 41F as I type this morning, nearly 40 degrees below what it was a few days ago. The tent is a cool 80F with 50% RH. I'm calm again!

The plants are no longer getting bombarded with too much light, hopefully. I'm giving them 39K lux per my Photone app.

Here's a pic from this morning:
NT girls 3-19-24 D27 tent.jpg

They've been moved around. The Lemon Bubble is now back left. Hash Lover back right. Cosmic Lights is front left. And front right is Blue Cindy.

Last night I topped off the reservoir of the 2 in the rear with plain water. Each res took about a 1/2 gallon. The solution that was already in the res was a full dose of Strive nutrients. So now those 2 plants will be getting a diluted dosage of Strive. I'll let their bases nearly run dry and then refill them with another gallon of plain water. After they drink most of that I will resume Strive feedings. (They've gotten a bit too much N due to lack of any water-only feed to this point.)

The plants in the front also got their reservoirs topped off. Since they're on Grow Dots, they just get plain water with calmag @ 2ml per gallon. They also took nearly 1/2 gallon each, but a little less than the rear plants.

--------------------------

Last night I also topped the LB & HL and started training on their upper two nodes.

I'll do the same to the BL today.

I'm up in the air about the The Cosmic Lights. I may not be topping her. In fact she may just get some mild LST. She was the first plant to emerge from soil and is now the smallest one in the tent. My gut says to stress her as little as possible, just let her grow and remain relatively healthy so that I can get some nice, healthy cuts. But my naysayer on the other shoulder says, "What if the cuts don't root? Then you've got an untrained plant that will not produce as much as you could have gotten out of a trained one, and you don't get another chance." (I have no more CL seeds and the strain has been discontinued.)

I'll give it some more thought. I've still got time to go either way.

Question for the masses: Will a cut from a plant that is not entirely healthy produce a clone that is not entirely healthy?

-----------------------------

I used new tan pots for this grow for a reason -- because of the SWICKS.

I was hoping that I'd be able to see how the water was moving up through the medium by changes to the shade of the pot material. That has worked but with unexpected results.

You can see in the pic above that each pot seems to have water concentrated in a certain section of the pot (those darker-looking, greenish areas). Initially those darker areas appeared on only one section of each pot. As the days pass, the darker areas are beginning to appear in other sections. Still, I find it interesting that in the beginning, it looks like each pot was channeling water to a specific area.

--------------------------

For the record, I didn't fully follow AC Infinity's (ACI) recommendations when I set up the swick bases. ACI suggests setting two wick lines in the shape of a plus sign like this:
ACI wick recommendation.jpg

But I chose to do mine using 4 wick lines (of shorter length than the ACI way) forming a square. The ACI way leaves 4 wick lines in the res. The way I did it leaves 8 wick lines in there.
My swick set-up.jpg

------------------------------

So it's nearing day 30 and that's when I said I would begin Phase II of this grow! :yahoo:

I'm going to limit Phase II to 2 plants -- probably in 5 gallon pots -- and I'll be going back to soil.

But which two?

It's usually very hard for me to pick, but not this time.

I was very disappointed a while ago when I couldn't get a Chemdog #4 to strike. So I'll be trying another of those. Herbie's describes it as a blend of landrace Thai and Nepalese genetics. I want it 'cause it sounds like something I've never had before!

As for the second plant, it's been hard to ignore the hype surrounding the potential of the Cap Junky strain. So I'm going to try one of those.

I know Shed is growing one this summer, so my little CJ will be a good set-up for his big one, which could easily turn out to be the crème de la crème of CJs for this summer (his being a redemption grow and all that 😁).

------------------------------

That's all I've got for today.

As you already know, your presence here is always appreciated!

PEACE

Here's a pic from this morning:
I find it interesting that in the beginning, it looks like each pot was channeling water to a specific area.
Looking nice 👌 and I've been observing the same channeling of water.. you think it's just the more root dense areas slowly spreading out. They must really be pulling it up! Very intriguing. Didn't expect to to see it as we are so cheers 👊
Will a cut from a plant that is not entirely healthy produce a clone that is not entirely healthy?
A clone is a clone as I would see it.. it would come back to health as the mother would but I have taken clones from unhealthy plants and majority of the time they take longer to root. With food in dwc cloner they actually revived before rooting but again took longer.

Congrats on the topping! I'd train the CL in some way and take cuts of some of the smaller growth. There's always smaller growth that you might have taken off for yield but can leave long enough to make a clone of.
So this meter tells you what Carcass, how many watts you're pulling from the wall? Why is that need-to-know info?

Say I'm using a light meter of some sort to regulate the light my plants get. And let's say my desire is 500 par and I adjust the lights (height or intensity) to make it so. Then I use a kill-a-watt meter and find that my, say 100w light, is only pulling 85 watts. Then what? As long as I'm getting 500 par to the plants why would I care? Are you using wattage targets during various stages of your grows?
The reason to know was because you were comparing your 1000w light to Carcass' 250(?) watt light. If you're going to compare light intensity you have to at least make sure you're measuring what's really happening. If your 1000w light at max is really only pulling 850w then you have to factor that into the comparison.

But if you have an accurate meter none of that matters. It's only because you were using his as a basis.
Question for the masses: Will a cut from a plant that is not entirely healthy produce a clone that is not entirely healthy?
What GV said below. They can take longer to root (if they do) but can be regular healthy plants after that.
his being a redemption grow and all that
That would be nice!
A clone is a clone as I would see it.. it would come back to health as the mother would but I have taken clones from unhealthy plants and majority of the time they take longer to root.
This! ↑↑↑

For me, I wouldn’t consider taking a clone from a struggling plant. I wouldn’t want to continue those genetics. I only clone good looking or X Factor plants.

Omg hello you!

When you gonna journal again?

420 Mag needs a Sauga!
That's a good question. I don't have an answer to that though. Lots always on the go, and I never seem to find the time to commit to even posting pics. Glad to see you're still giving it here. I hope all is well on your side of the world.

GBD ive done the chem #4 kept it around for the longest time it ALWAYS produced AWSUME flowers it was on my peeps favorite list so keep trying with that one + its a EASY grower with pretty dense flowers and good yeild not to mention the flavor ✌️ so its a GOOD ONE
That's welcome news SOG! I hope I get one of relatives! :Rasta:

Looking nice 👌 and I've been observing the same channeling of water.. you think it's just the more root dense areas slowly spreading out. They must really be pulling it up! Very intriguing. Didn't expect to to see it as we are so cheers 👊

A clone is a clone as I would see it.. it would come back to health as the mother would but I have taken clones from unhealthy plants and majority of the time they take longer to root. With food in dwc cloner they actually revived before rooting but again took longer.
Thanks GV.

I expected the pots to change shades evenly around the circumference and then work its way up the pot. NOT! :Rasta:

Congrats on the topping! I'd train the CL in some way and take cuts of some of the smaller growth. There's always smaller growth that you might have taken off for yield but can leave long enough to make a clone of.

The reason to know was because you were comparing your 1000w light to Carcass' 250(?) watt light. If you're going to compare light intensity you have to at least make sure you're measuring what's really happening. If your 1000w light at max is really only pulling 850w then you have to factor that into the comparison.

But if you have an accurate meter none of that matters. It's only because you were using his as a basis.

What GV said below. They can take longer to root (if they do) but can be regular healthy plants after that.

That would be nice!

This! ↑↑↑
I topped the CL, Shed. Had a change of heart. :)

For me, I wouldn’t consider taking a clone from a struggling plant. I wouldn’t want to continue those genetics. I only clone good looking or X Factor plants.
I have a history with this strain Tra. I can't afford to be selective. It's was/is my last seed/chance since the strain has been discontinued. I want clones. :Rasta:

One of the reasons I'm doing this is really kind of dumb Smoke, but I'll save that for last.

Besides my "dumb" reason, I'm just trying to keep things interesting. I enjoy growing more when I have to do the research and head-scratching required to learn something new. Moving from soil to coco requires me to do that. This is prolly the biggest reason for doing it -- the mental exercise.

Also, I want to see what kind of results I get compared to a soil grow. I think I'm going to see plants with chunkier trunks, sturdier petioles and, hopefully, fatter colas!

And my last reason, coco is pleasing to my eye.

That's right. I just like the way it looks sitting in the pot. Believe it or not, I used to put a layer of coco on top of my soil grows just because I (and Mrs. GDB) thought the reddish stuff looked so much better in the pots. I know it's wacky, but I'm being truthful.

I agree with you, this is evolving into something that I believe will be a bit more labor-intensive than I had envisioned. That's okay though. I've got the will to do it and the time!
GDB, looking forward to watching your new grow. Me, lazy organic soil grow. I can go several days without opening my cabinet downstairs. Cheers

GDB, looking forward to watching your new grow. Me, lazy organic soil grow. I can go several days without opening my cabinet downstairs. Cheers
A pleasure to have you cr8grow.

If inside my tent looked liked yours, there's no way I'd let a day pass without taking a peek! :Rasta:

Hello gang.

Day 28.

Let me get the "not so good" news out of the way first.

I fully expected this swick/coco thing would be a great way to grow for a low-energy guy like me.

I could not have been more wrong. :straightface:

Several commenters led me to realize the possibility of Ph drift in my reservoirs if the plants don't use the feed soon enough. So this morning I decided to check. I had Ph'ed a 4 gallon bucket last night and only used half of it to feed the plants. I tested the half bucket and overnight the water had gone from 5.8 to 6.1.

"Uh oh" won't do.

Fuck a Duck! Unless I use it immediately, I'm going to have to Ph any water being given to my plants even if I've already set it to the desired Ph. If it sits overnight, I'll need to check it again. :straightface:

I haven't let my reservoirs go empty, so there's been plenty of time for whatever fluid is in there to drift.

So I begin the arduous task of checking the water in each base. I have to move the plants up front in order to get to the ones in the rear. Then move the rear one's forward where I can work on them from my chair. All these moves must be done gently so as not to splosh water from the bases all over the tent floor. Once in place at the front of the tent, remove the plant from the base and set it in a plant saucer. Then remove the cover from the base so that I can get to the water with my Ph pen. Correct the Ph (more about that shortly), replace the cover and the put the plant back in its original position. Repeat three more times.

The plants on Strive (rear) had drifted to 7.0 and 7.1. The forward plants on Grow Dots were at 6.3 and 6.5.

Where's that damn duck! I'm also going to have to check the Ph of the base water everyday, whether I put anything in there or not! :straightface:

My Lazy-Meter started chirping as soon as I started this process. By the end it was at full fire-alarm volume.

Me and my bright ideas. New Tricks my ass. New Tricked. I'm now a grumpy old man.

But I shall persevere.:Rasta:

(BTW, I beheaded the Cosmic Lights and the Hash Lover this afternoon. More about that at another time.)

NT girls 3-20-24 D28 tent.jpg

PEACE

Back
Top Bottom