Gelato, Cali Orange & Cheese: HID 400W

Hey Jay, they’re looking happy in their new homes :high-five:

Well it's been a couple days.. went ahead with LST. Used pliers and foam covered wire (removing most of the foam). Made longer jagged pieces of wire to hold plants down, and foam piece wire plus elongated "u" to pull stem in opposite direction.

Screenshot_2019-08-03-00-14-19.png

Screenshot_2019-08-03-00-19-43.pngScreenshot_2019-08-03-00-20-41.pngScreenshot_2019-08-03-02-01-31.pngScreenshot_2019-08-03-02-01-53.png

Nice job on the bend Jay, they've been opened up nicely.

Hi all. Have two questions I've been pondering lately if anyone has an opinion..

1) Are tips of new leaves looking burnt always a sign of nute burn? This is unlikely to be a sign of needing more right?

2) What would be the absolute first signs of needing water?? Would leaves start drooping down? It's still difficult to tell sometimes. I stick meter in one side close to roots and seems dry as a bone. Stick in other side, and still get solid reading.

Hi all. Have two questions I've been pondering lately if anyone has an opinion..

1) Are tips of new leaves looking burnt always a sign of nute burn? This is unlikely to be a sign of needing more right?

2) What would be the absolute first signs of needing water?? Would leaves start drooping down? It's still difficult to tell sometimes. I stick meter in one side close to roots and seems dry as a bone. Stick in other side, and still get solid reading.
no, tip burn doesnt always mean nute burn, and some deficiencies can look like burns after the plant cannibalizes the leaf for needed nutrients. So, it depends on what it looks like... send a picture.

If you are guessing about when and if to water, you are not keeping track of the wet/dry cycle. It will be some time ( I am still waiting for it ) before you will just be able to look at your plants and know that it is time to water. The droop isnt always it, since the plants often droop just to get ready for the dark part of their day. Then, are you looking for droop all over, droop at the top, droop at the bottom or are you waiting for the stem to droop? Droop is a rather subjective term.

Sticking a meter in on the sides and getting different readings probably has to do with the depth you stuck the probes in, and I invite you to read my work on how to properly water so you can understand that you were probably seeing the underground lake that exists in your container. To determine when to water, it is best to use the lift method and you can use that meter if you do it right. A finger in the soil, or a wet/moist meter used improperly will not tell you.
Stick your water meter in the soil and watch the meter while you stick it deeper and deeper. At some point the meter will peg out and instead of moist it will now read WET. You have just found the top of the water table, the lake that sits in that container and falls steadily as the plants use the water. Use that meter to see when the water table drops down into the last inch or two of the container... that is the correct time to water.

Ok thanks Emilya. I read your article twice when first discovered it.. however been doing plenty of growing and learning since and wouldn't hurt to go over again! Certainly never take in all the info after a read or two. ... Especially on a subject your not familiar with.

I use the lifting pot method a lot as well :) Just transplanted to 5g pots and is my first time using them. Only watered once in the 5g, so still getting used to weights.
Any burning tips are JUST starting to show and barely anything yet.. Thought I'd ask incase it started getting worse. This is as bad as it gets for now.. camera is hardly good enough to show it.

Screenshot_2019-08-04-22-27-48.pngScreenshot_2019-08-04-22-27-57.pngScreenshot_2019-08-04-22-28-08.png

Dang you're good!!

The first two are what I was really worried about, and the third pic is from a plant who's leaves were struggling all over.. not just the nute burn mentioned.

Third pic, with more showing

Screenshot_2019-08-04-22-50-38.png

So clearly you nailed it! Was more going on with this leaf. I have fed nutes twice and up-potted since the leaves were going bad like this picture... Seems to have stopped it. But now the tips are slooowly turning as shown before.

One more funny thing... Think I mixed up the California Orange and Cheese seeds... The Gelato's are correct for sure.

Had the Gelato's in one paper towel, and Cali and Cheese in another. Cheese is the only sativa based.. but look at the pics. The plant marked Cali looks like the sativa to me!

Gelato's and plant marked Cheese

Screenshot_2019-08-05-00-18-05.pngScreenshot_2019-08-05-00-17-50.pngScreenshot_2019-08-05-00-17-32.png

Plant marked Cali.

Screenshot_2019-08-05-00-18-27.png

Also feel they look maybe a bit puffy, overwatered?

Hey Jay! Looks like Emy has got you covered on the watering.
I found it very important to have a good idea of how your pot should feel weight wise when needing water.
Had the Gelato's in one paper towel, and Cali and Cheese in another. Cheese is the only sativa based.. but look at the pics. The plant marked Cali looks like the sativa to me!
Those pics weren't labeled so i'm unsure what's what. But i'd give it another week or two and we should have a better look at their leaf structure and it may be easier to differentiate between the two.

Who is the breeder of your genetics? Cali Orange from Dutch Passion is a 50/50 sativa/indica hybrid - so if you've got a sativa-leaning phenotype she'll definitely produce a thinner leaf structure. Cheese is generally a sativa leaning strain but is also a hybrid - most cheese strains have a sativa/indica ration around 60/40 so do not be surprised if you get some indica-leaning cheese phenos.

:passitleft:

You got me curious! Had to go back to the website and look through genetics again. I bought from seedsman.ca.

According to their site:

Gelato OG : Indica dominant
25% thc
55-60 days flower

Cali. Or. : Hybrid
High THC
9 weeks flower

Cheese : Sativa dominant
High THC
9-10 weeks flower

They're taking nicely to the LST.

Screenshot_2019-08-07-19-47-54.pngScreenshot_2019-08-07-19-48-03.png

The 2 Gelato OG plants

Screenshot_2019-08-07-19-48-57.pngScreenshot_2019-08-07-19-48-32.png

Plant marked Cheese

Screenshot_2019-08-07-19-48-45.png

Plant marked California Orange

Screenshot_2019-08-07-19-48-17.png

All healthy in there :yummy::morenutes:

The girls are looking good :welldone:

@Emilya described perfectly what nute burn would look like a perfect little triangle at the end of the leaf.
thought I would share a picture of nute burn on one of my plants to make it easier for you to spot if it happens to you.
20190808_210052.jpg

Back
Top Bottom