Going to seed

I have been growing some Tropical purple kush from seeds, and sadly 3 of my 4 plants are male. I disposed of 2 of the males but am interested in letting the female go to seed. I was just curious on others experiences. How much potency of THC will be lost from going to seed?
Hi Jay, Do you mean to use the pollen to pollinate it first. It'll suffer with bud full of seeds but Better than nothing.

It's impossible to quantify the exact decrease in potency due to so many variables. There will definitely be a decrease in both consumable bud weight and potency as the plant will divert it's energy from flower formation to seed formation. The seeds you will get will be your own and a direct result of your work. I think it's a great idea to harvest some seeds from this venture. In the future I suggest planting twice as many seeds as the # of females you want to reach harvest. Even if you have more females than males you can choose the phenos or the healthiest plants to move forward with. Good luck and post some updates on the seeds please. I love seeing people do this. It's so much better than clones.

I have been growing some Tropical purple kush from seeds, and sadly 3 of my 4 plants are male. I disposed of 2 of the males but am interested in letting the female go to seed. I was just curious on others experiences. How much potency of THC will be lost from going to seed?
Honestly if you are growing to smoke the flower, I wouldn't grow the male with the female at all, in fact I would get rid of the male immediately. By the time you end up picking all the seeds out, its a hassle and you still may get immature seeds in you flower which taste horrible when smoked.

Now with that being said... intentionally breeding your plants (or pollenchucking) as a lot of us call it is AWESOME! and just a single plant 2' tall can produce HUNDREDS of seeds. So if you want to have enough seeds to last the next decade, and really like the strain you are growing, I would highly recommend letting the female get pollinated as you will never have to worry about getting seeds again and if you really wanted you can pick out the seeds and still have some flower shake to smoke or make edibles out of.

Will potency be lost? I would say its hard to know without lab testing and a perfect side by side experiment. In my non scientific opinion, you will still get high off the shake but you probably will lose quite a bit of resin busting up the buds and picking them apart to get the seeds. Its ok though because from studies that have been conducted, most people really can't tell the difference between a 18% thc and a 26% THC plant in terms of the actual high, as really the terpenes and ratios of cannabinoids really is what shapes the high you feel, not so much the THC level.

Either way you choose there is a win at the end! Happy growing!

This plant is fully seeded and still looks like it will be pretty potent when done...

I had some stuff that was really seedy - my neighbour gave it to me harvested - once I removed the seeds, for future growing, I decided to keep the chaff - it vaped really well and I would guess that if you decarbed and made edibles or tincture, what the heck!! The triches are all on the outside anyway. This was on a small scale but if you didn't want to pick out seeds from all of it, I think it is still pretty useful.

It's impossible to quantify the exact decrease in potency due to so many variables. There will definitely be a decrease in both consumable bud weight and potency as the plant will divert it's energy from flower formation to seed formation. The seeds you will get will be your own and a direct result of your work. I think it's a great idea to harvest some seeds from this venture. In the future I suggest planting twice as many seeds as the # of females you want to reach harvest. Even if you have more females than males you can choose the phenos or the healthiest plants to move forward with. Good luck and post some updates on the seeds please. I love seeing people do this. It's so much better than clones.
I've always wondered about that. I've read that trichomes and cannabinoids are to protect the seeds, so why would the plant produce less of those when it actually has seeds?
If it's been pollinated from the start of flower wouldn't it just build fewer flowers with better protected seeds?
I wonder if anyone has removed all the seeds from the bud of a seeded clone and tested the level of THC against bud from a clone from the same mother? That would be interesting.
You can make ice water hash from seeded bud. It's plenty potent, and the seeds are still viable after going through the water. My buddy's plants last year were proof of that.

ice water hash from seeded bud
I'm going to try my hand at hash with last years junk once I get a minus 30 degree day but when reading up on ice water hash I got to thinkin' (always an adventure) could I use salt brine to wash thru. The water could get much colder but I wondered of the salt would have a detrimental effect on the triches???? Would there be any salt left in the product?? and if so, would that matter??

I'm going to try my hand at hash with last years junk once I get a minus 30 degree day but when reading up on ice water hash I got to thinkin' (always an adventure) could I use salt brine to wash thru. The water could get much colder but I wondered of the salt would have a detrimental effect on the triches???? Would there be any salt left in the product?? and if so, would that matter??
Interesting question.
I would assume there would be residual salt in the hash, and that might affect how it would smoke.
Maybe a thread based on that question would be a good idea?

I've always wondered about that. I've read that trichomes and cannabinoids are to protect the seeds, so why would the plant produce less of those when it actually has seeds?
If it's been pollinated from the start of flower wouldn't it just build fewer flowers with better protected seeds?
I wonder if anyone has removed all the seeds from the bud of a seeded clone and tested the level of THC against bud from a clone from the same mother? That would be interesting.

You can make ice water hash from seeded bud. It's plenty potent, and the seeds are still viable after going through the water. My buddy's plants last year were proof of that.
Valid questions. I am basing my beliefs on my experience. I have not done qualitative studies and controlled experiments to prove anything. These are my opinions and those expressed here do not represent anything factual. I should put that in my bio. :cool: If you have two identically twin female plants, you grow them identically and you pollinate one of them as completely as possible, you will have one plant that has less THC. If you extracted the THC from both plants you will have less THC POTENCY overall on the pollinated plant. I believe that is what @JayD1980 original question was, "How much potency of THC will be lost from going to seed?" Which is why I first clearly stated, "It's impossible to quantify the exact decrease in potency due to so many variables." I think this is just another typical post where people have opinions then there always has to be that guy who has to be correct while everybody else has a wrong opinion, lol.

mic drop

Valid questions. I am basing my beliefs on my experience. I have not done qualitative studies and controlled experiments to prove anything. These are my opinions and those expressed here do not represent anything factual. I should put that in my bio. :cool: If you have two identically twin female plants, you grow them identically and you pollinate one of them as completely as possible, you will have one plant that has less THC. If you extracted the THC from both plants you will have less THC POTENCY overall on the pollinated plant. I believe that is what @JayD1980 original question was, "How much potency of THC will be lost from going to seed?" Which is why I first clearly stated, "It's impossible to quantify the exact decrease in potency due to so many variables." I think this is just another typical post where people have opinions then there always has to be that guy who has to be correct while everybody else has a wrong opinion, lol.

mic drop
Sorry if I came across as argumentative, I was just asking a question.
I'd just like to find out so we have a better answer in the future.

I was just going to let them grow together. There's ventilation to keep air moving for pollen transfer, I'm just curious about how the pottency will be reduced. I fugure it will be a surgical procedure on the buds to get the seed out, lol. I just
I did the same thing with a Grand Daddy Purple and a Liberty Haze, by accident, when I first started. Didn't smoke anything from it, just saved the beans...the result was a fantastic mistake...:morenutes::morenutes:

I did the same thing with a Grand Daddy Purple and a Liberty Haze, by accident, when I first started. Didn't smoke anything from it, just saved the beans...the result was a fantastic mistake...:morenutes::morenutes:

Wow! Those are really nice spears!!! :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom