Grand Daddy Black Grows A Stack

Hey Black!

Guess who’s back, back again. Trala’s back tell a friend… 🎶

Lolling.

Kk. First let’s gets some Little Monster Music. Set the mood. I’m legit living for this song atm.

My advice since you asked. Oh and I just want to say, I’m not proclaiming this is the way, it’s a way to train. And the best thing when it comes to advice, you can take it or leave it lol.

So as I think you know, I’m always thirsty for that CarCanopy. While I never actually achieve it, I’m always chasing it. I like a low even canopy. I just wish my plants did lol.

So that strange curly weird growth you will be seeing. I pin it super low. I know growers in here absolutely freak out if a leaf touches dirt. I do not lol. To me the top layer of dirt is like a bed sheet. No harm comes from a few strands of your hair hitting the bed sheet. Well I don’t think it does.

IMG_20231107_071442_resized_20231107_072332491.jpeg

That curly growth will then throw single bladed mong leaves. It’s basically your clone trying to work out wtf is going on. I pin that mong growth as low as I can.

IMG_20231107_071442_resized_20231107_072332491.jpeg
IMG_20231107_071519_resized_20231107_072332117.jpeg

As my plant starts to recover from the wtf shock. She starts throwing normal growth. I know there are a lot of growers who freak about removing leaves. I do not lol. So for every new piece of normal growth, I remove a mong leaf.

IMG_0687.jpeg

IMG_20231107_071721_resized_20231107_072233112.jpeg

You will soon see little monsters have arms on arms. I went digging in my Bee Cemetery. This is a monstercropped clone carcass. And if you look down low you can see where I have pinned those arms close to the dirt. I know a lot of growers are root obsessed. I am not lol. But the pic clearly demonstrates how those low branches equate to more roots.

IMG_0688.jpeg

Anyhoo thanks for asking how I train. It made me feel good to share my technique.

Good luck :)

I’ll be watching.
Thanks Tra!

I removed all of the "mong" leaves tonight. I also cut off a few normal nodes from the bottoms.

These plants will likely get a bit unruly. I cleared the bottoms so that when I up-pot them I can put the deeper into the soil. I might even end up cutting of the tops of those long main branches.

I shall see. I need to listen to the plants!:meditate:

FF clone 11-7-23 Soil 27.jpg

PEACE

I'm glad to see you resurrected this thread. :thumb:
Interesting info on the monster cropping. I've never tried it, but have considered trying it a couple of times. :popcorn:

How far along are your plants when take cuttings and what is your strike rate for roots compared to taking the clones in veg?
Good morning Azi my favourite SIPstar 🤩

I’d have to guesstimate. I think between 3-4 weeks.

I think my strike rate for both is 100%. Monstercropped clones are a long game, where clones strike really quickly. They kind of remind me of a duck on a pond. While they look like they’re doing nothing, underneath the dirt they are making a carpet of roots.

Growing is a hobby for me. I enjoy the cultivation challenge cloning a bud gives.

Thanks Tra!

I removed all of the "mong" leaves tonight. I also cut off a few normal nodes from the bottoms.

These plants will likely get a bit unruly. I cleared the bottoms so that when I up-pot them I can put the deeper into the soil. I might even end up cutting of the tops of those long main branches.

I shall see. I need to listen to the plants!:meditate:

FF clone 11-7-23 Soil 27.jpg

PEACE
They look really good, Black.

Really really good!

👹♥️👹♥️👹♥️

Good morning Azi my favourite SIPstar 🤩

I’d have to guesstimate. I think between 3-4 weeks.

I think my strike rate for both is 100%. Monstercropped clones are a long game, where clones strike really quickly. They kind of remind me of a duck on a pond. While they look like they’re doing nothing, underneath the dirt they are making a carpet of roots.

Growing is a hobby for me. I enjoy the cultivation challenge cloning a bud gives.
Ok, thanks. I took some cuttings 3 weeks after pistils just to see if my cloning process would root them and then they'll head to the worm bin.

One more question, given the messy branch structure on them once they root, I assume it's better to use them to produce cuttings rather than flower them out? With so many branches I'd imagine you get lots of cola's, but smallish ones.

Ok, thanks. I took some cuttings 3 weeks after pistils just to see if my cloning process would root them and then they'll head to the worm bin.

One more question, given the messy branch structure on them once they root, I assume it's better to use them to produce cuttings rather than flower them out? With so many branches I'd imagine you get lots of cola's, but smallish ones.
Hi again :)

No you assumed wrong when it comes to my grow style. I am not mother plant inclined. And I don’t think they are messy. With the right training I think they are beautiful. I’m about taking nothing and try and make it something. If a plant strikes for me, I do my best to make her sing. Plant health and beauty is what drives me. Size doesn’t matter to me.

You've got them looking normal(ish), so step 1 went well... 😄
Now the fun begins!
This is fun, Carcass! Because I don't quite know what to expect it's almost like my first grow. :)

I don't quite know what to expect

Yeah, I really want to watch how you do this- it looks a bit confusing from here...since everything I train is symmetrical...monster crops are like the opposite of that.. 🤔

Yeah, I really want to watch how you do this- it looks a bit confusing from here...since everything I train is symmetrical...monster crops are like the opposite of that.. 🤔
I've got a plan! I just need to bury them deeply when I up-pot them in order to see if my plan will work. :)

Hello all.

I got to up-pot one of the Forbidden Fruit clones today. I couldn't do them both because I hadn't prepped enough soil. :straightface:

I documented the procedure not so much for your edification, but for mine! :)

Both clones have been in soil for 28 days and both are going into 5 gallon pots (that's COP #1). COP = Change of Plan. Get used to seeing that acronym in my grows!😁

I'm using used Fox Farms soil (Happy Frog and Ocean Forest), and used Lush soil. In other words, I dump all my used soils in the same bins, caring not what brand they are.

I prepped the soil in two 3 gallon buckets. I amended with about 1/2 cup of neem meal and 2 tsps. of soil activator in each bucket. Then I dampen it and let it sit for a few days.

Here's the process in a nutshell:

Establish the base of the soil. Because I want to bury the clones deeply I only put about 2 inches of soil in the bottom of the pot. The roots will have to grow "up," and they will. Put a plastic pot on the base and fill around it with soil but not all the way to the top. Then I use my spray bottle to further moisten the soil around the plastic pot so that when I pull it out I'll have a nice hole remaining.
FFc1 11-8-23 deep bury prep S28.jpg

I did the roll and press (put pot on its side and roll back and forth while applying weight) on the 1 gallon clone pot to loosen the soil. Then start pushing up on the bottom of the pot until the plant is freed. It came out easily and held together. (By last night the clone pots were dry as could be so I gave each .5 liters of water to moisten them up just a bit. I find that a little moisture is necessary to get them out cleanly.)
FFc1 11-8-23 root intact S28.jpg

Pull the space holder out of the new pot and sprinkle mycos on the soil base. Then moisten with a spray bottle.
FFc1 11-8-23 mycos in base S28.jpg

Moisten roots of clone with a spray bottle and sprinkle mycos all over the root ball.
FFc1 11-8-23 mycos on roots S28.jpg

I put the plant in the hole that I had made and got a really good fit.
FFc1 11-8-23 good fit S28.jpg

From here it's easy-peezy. Just dump soil in the pot until the plant is nice and cozy. I got her in as deep as I wanted. I even covered up a little of the junk that remained at the bottom of the plant.
FFc1 11-8-23 in deep S28.jpg

Finally, I scrape in about 3 tablespoon of EWC on top of the soil. Then I water it until minimal run-off (haven't done this yet, but I will). After that, I won't need to bother her again for at least a week, maybe more!

She now looks a little more manageable (and trainable)!
FFc1 11-8-23 uppot final Soil day 28.jpg

That's it.

Since I wasn't able to do them both, she'll go back into the 2x2 for now. When I up-pot her tentmate either tomorrow or the next day, both 5 gallon pots will be moved into the 4x4 tent. I think that just the 2 of them will make good use of the space!

Thanks for your interest.

PEACE

Hello all.

I got to up-pot one of the Forbidden Fruit clones today. I couldn't do them both because I hadn't prepped enough soil. :straightface:

I documented the procedure not so much for your edification, but for mine! :)

Both clones have been in soil for 28 days and both are going into 5 gallon pots (that's COP #1). COP = Change of Plan. Get used to seeing that acronym in my grows!😁

I'm using used Fox Farms soil (Happy Frog and Ocean Forest), and used Lush soil. In other words, I dump all my used soils in the same bins, caring not what brand they are.

I prepped the soil in two 3 gallon buckets. I amended with about 1/2 cup of neem meal and 2 tsps. of soil activator in each bucket. Then I dampen it and let it sit for a few days.

Here's the process in a nutshell:

Establish the base of the soil. Because I want to bury the clones deeply I only put about 2 inches of soil in the bottom of the pot. The roots will have to grow "up," and they will. Put a plastic pot on the base and fill around it with soil but not all the way to the top. Then I use my spray bottle to further moisten the soil around the plastic pot so that when I pull it out I'll have a nice hole remaining.
FFc1 11-8-23 deep bury prep S28.jpg

I did the roll and press (put pot on its side and roll back and forth while applying weight) on the 1 gallon clone pot to loosen the soil. Then start pushing up on the bottom of the pot until the plant is freed. It came out easily and held together. (By last night the clone pots were dry as could be so I gave each .5 liters of water to moisten them up just a bit. I find that a little moisture is necessary to get them out cleanly.)
FFc1 11-8-23 root intact S28.jpg

Pull the space holder out of the new pot and sprinkle mycos on the soil base. Then moisten with a spray bottle.
FFc1 11-8-23 mycos in base S28.jpg

Moisten roots of clone with a spray bottle and sprinkle mycos all over the root ball.
FFc1 11-8-23 mycos on roots S28.jpg

I put the plant in the hole that I had made and got a really good fit.
FFc1 11-8-23 good fit S28.jpg

From here it's easy-peezy. Just dump soil in the pot until the plant is nice and cozy. I got her in as deep as I wanted. I even covered up a little of the junk that remained at the bottom of the plant.
FFc1 11-8-23 in deep S28.jpg

Finally, I scrape in about 3 tablespoon of EWC on top of the soil. Then I water it until minimal run-off (haven't done this yet, but I will). After that, I won't need to bother her again for at least a week, maybe more!

She now looks a little more manageable (and trainable)!
FFc1 11-8-23 uppot final Soil day 28.jpg

That's it.

Since I wasn't able to do them both, she'll go back into the 2x2 for now. When I up-pot her tentmate either tomorrow or the next day, both 5 gallon pots will be moved into the 4x4 tent. I think that just the 2 of them will make good use of the space!

Thanks for your interest.

PEACE
nice job GDB any particular reason to have the roots grow up ?

nice job GDB any particular reason to have the roots grow up ?
Thanks con.

It's buried so deeply that they can't grow but so far down, and they will. But there is plenty of "rootless" soil at the top of the pot and they will grow up into that void!

Hello again.

I got both plants back in the 2x2 and I think I sense a little pot envy! 😁

Clones 11-8-23 S28 pot envy.jpg

PEACE

Thanks con.

It's buried so deeply that they can't grow but so far down, and they will. But there is plenty of "rootless" soil at the top of the pot and they will grow up into that void!
so no real reason, just a shits n giggles thing

so no real reason, just a shits n giggles thing
Not exactly con.

I had to plant them deep in order to (try to) train them the way I'd like to. :)

Nicely tucked in there! And it looks like you might need to punch some grommets into the GeoPot...
Thanks Shed.

So you're a fan of grommets now? 😁

Back
Top Bottom