GratefulBud's Summer 2023 Outside Grow

Great looking bunch, GB!

You have a great line up there :)
Thanks Tra!

I'll top above 4th node in a few days. Then up-pot into final containers next week - 2 into 5 gallon SIP buckets and the other 4 into 7 gallon fabric pots. Or should I move those 4 into one gallon pots for a few weeks?

Here they are today with a guardian watching over.

Then up-pot into final containers next week - 2 into 5 gallon SIP buckets and the other 4 into 7 gallon fabric pots. Or should I move those 4 into one gallon pots for a few weeks?

If you understand the difference in watering between the two options, it shouldn't matter (other than not going through the work of transplanting). The reason you'd go from the cups into 1 gallon, then final, is to build the root ball. It makes watering easier because there isn't a huge moisture gradient for the roots to get 'complacent' and not search water out.

Conversely, going from cup to final container, you have to be cognizant in where you apply the water. If you water near the stem the roots won't search for water down below or in the bottom corners of the big pot. They'll get complacent. They have everything they need right there, why go searching? This requires watering from the outside edge of the big pot so the roots can sense there's more moisture and start growing in that direction.

I typed all that out and then realized you had the watering link from Emilya in your signature, so you probably know all that already haha. It would come down to personal preference I suppose at that point.

If you understand the difference in watering between the two options, it shouldn't matter (other than not going through the work of transplanting). The reason you'd go from the cups into 1 gallon, then final, is to build the root ball. It makes watering easier because there isn't a huge moisture gradient for the roots to get 'complacent' and not search water out.

Conversely, going from cup to final container, you have to be cognizant in where you apply the water. If you water near the stem the roots won't search for water down below or in the bottom corners of the big pot. They'll get complacent. They have everything they need right there, why go searching? This requires watering from the outside edge of the big pot so the roots can sense there's more moisture and start growing in that direction.

I typed all that out and then realized you had the watering link from Emilya in your signature, so you probably know all that already haha. It would come down to personal preference I suppose at that point.
Hi Aspen!

Yes I think you are spot on. I just have not decided yet. I see others here going from cup to 5 gallon pot, and carefully watering edges. I'm leaning towards that route. With the SIP I think I'm good as long as I drench the soil first to get the wicking action started.

Let I smoke a doobie and ponder it further . . .

Hi Aspen!

Yes I think you are spot on. I just have not decided yet. I see others here going from cup to 5 gallon pot, and carefully watering edges. I'm leaning towards that route. With the SIP I think I'm good as long as I drench the soil first to get the wicking action started.

Let I smoke a doobie and ponder it further . . .

You're right about the SIP...but I do want to give you words of caution on that. I followed some really awesome advice here on getting ready for transplant. I found that my plants were too little at the time for there to be 1/2 gallon in the reservoir, so it took them ages to empty it. That spiraled into nutrient deficiency because they weren't being fed at a regular cadence, because I was only watering the res every 2 weeks or something ridiculous like that. Then @Azimuth taught me to only keep a couple days worth of water in the res at a time and bingo, off they went.

My point is if you leave too much water in the res at transplant, it might be quite a long while for them to empty the res for you to add more feed/water or whatever.

You're right about the SIP...but I do want to give you words of caution on that. I followed some really awesome advice here on getting ready for transplant. I found that my plants were too little at the time for there to be 1/2 gallon in the reservoir, so it took them ages to empty it. That spiraled into nutrient deficiency because they weren't being fed at a regular cadence, because I was only watering the res every 2 weeks or something ridiculous like that. Then @Azimuth taught me to only keep a couple days worth of water in the res at a time and bingo, off they went.

My point is if you leave too much water in the res at transplant, it might be quite a long while for them to empty the res for you to add more feed/water or whatever.
Excellent point - thanks for the tip!

There was a rumor that there might be a SIP in this grow so, naturally, I'm in!
Hi Azimuth!
Yes I’m going to jump into the SIP club!
Currently waiting for my plants to get a little bigger before I move to 5 gallon SIP buckets.
Please feel free to drop in anytime - I would appreciate your input.

Hi Azimuth!
Yes I’m going to jump into the SIP club!
Currently waiting for my plants to get a little bigger before I move to 5 gallon SIP buckets.
Please feel free to drop in anytime - I would appreciate your input.
Looking forward to the up-pot! Ask any questions here or in the SIP thread. :thumb:

6 Seedlings sprouted above soil around 4/19.
Royal Queen Seeds
(1) Mimosa
(1) White Widow
(1) Watermelon
(1) Critical
Also have (1) SFV OG and (1) SFV Gorilla OG.
Been outdoors 24/7 since 5/13​

Hello Growers!

Update on my 2023 outdoor grow.
All six plants look good! Was starting to get more yellowing so I upped the nutes. They look better now.
It has been cloudy and overcast for the past week or so - May gray. So the plants really have not grown that much. Today was the first real sunny day in a week, and they sure look happy this afternoon.

Over the past few days I topped all except Mimosa - I'll let her go a few more days. The others I kinda intentionally FIM'd so we'll see how that turns out. Seeing new growth and with the sunny day today they should start to take off (I hope).

Pics

I also have been adding SNS209 as a bug deterrent. Today I saw two tiny bite marks on one leaf. Apparently something dropped by and took a bite, didn't like the taste, and moved on. At least that's what I'm thinking happened. Although in reality it may take a few more days for the SNS209 to make a difference.

Still have not built the SIP containers but I now have everything I need - so that will get done in the next day or so. The plants are still in cups and not quite ready yet for transplant. I'm thinking 3-4 more days. For the two going into SIP buckets that should coincide nicely with the timed release schedule for the Grow Dots in the soil. The other 4 will go into 7 gallon fabric pots when they are ready (cups full of roots). I'll water carefully to get them acclimated to bigger containers.

Hope you have a wonderful Memorial Day Weekend!

Congrats on getting some sun up there...send some over the hill when you get a chance! I went to a Memorial Day barbecue this afternoon in a sweat shirt and a heavy sweat jacket on top of that.

They're looking hungry. Are you feeding them before they get the Dots?
Hi Shed!

Yeah I've been feeding them more - Grow Big, Big Bloom, and a little SNS209. They are actually looking much better. I built the two SIP buckets today and will move the two SFV girls into them in the next day or two.

I'm on the fence - do you think I should move 4 others into one gallon pots, then after 2 weeks move to the 7 gallon fabric pots? That should give them another 2 weeks in final pots before they flower. Or should I just go from cups to the 7 gallon? Appreciate your advice.

Back
Top Bottom