GratefulBud's Summer 2023 Outside Grow

Yesterday I built the 5 gallon SIP buckets following the instructions here.
Took about an hour (if you remove the time I spent fiddling about, smoking a doobie, and looking for the right tools).

The center hole for the "wick" is only about an inch and a half round - hope that is enough.

I used a grinder to notch the bottom that sits in the water. This should help airflow.

I read recently that airflow is important to the roots so instead of using the half inch PVC for the overflow I used 3/4 - same as the fill tube.

I'll put tiny fruit netting bags on both pipes to keep critters out. I used some blue painters tape to cover the bottom third of the buckets to help reduce algae growth. May not be an issue as the irrigation piping is black and not much water will sit outside of the donut.

Today I up-potted the SFV Gorilla OG and SFV OG into the SIP buckets. Took about an hour.
I used half FFOF and half used soil from last year (which was new FFOF). Also added lots of perlite - especially to the bottom third. I also added the GROW DOTS to the soil for timed-release nutrients. I placed about a third of the soil into the bottom of the bucket, thoroughly soaked the soil and lightly pressed it down into the center hole. Added another third and soaked the soil. Added the last third on top then transplanted. I ended up short of the soil I added DOTS to so I just added some of the used soil mix on top - about an inch. This puts the DOTS goodies lower so no biggie.

Here they are sitting pretty and dribbling a little out of the overflow.

I'm a little worried about the DOTS releasing nutes in a timely manner. I may need to add some liquid nutes and top water. We'll see if they start to yellow a bit again.

Oh and here is a gigantic hibiscus flower in the yard.
View media item 1902686
Freedom Isn't Free - today we remember our fallen warriors.

Yesterday I built the 5 gallon SIP buckets following the instructions here.
Took about an hour (if you remove the time I spent fiddling about, smoking a doobie, and looking for the right tools).

The center hole for the "wick" is only about an inch and a half round - hope that is enough.

I used a grinder to notch the bottom that sits in the water. This should help airflow.

I read recently that airflow is important to the roots so instead of using the half inch PVC for the overflow I used 3/4 - same as the fill tube.

I'll put tiny fruit netting bags on both pipes to keep critters out. I used some blue painters tape to cover the bottom third of the buckets to help reduce algae growth. May not be an issue as the irrigation piping is black and not much water will sit outside of the donut.

Today I up-potted the SFV Gorilla OG and SFV OG into the SIP buckets. Took about an hour.
I used half FFOF and half used soil from last year (which was new FFOF). Also added lots of perlite - especially to the bottom third. I also added the GROW DOTS to the soil for timed-release nutrients. I placed about a third of the soil into the bottom of the bucket, thoroughly soaked the soil and lightly pressed it down into the center hole. Added another third and soaked the soil. Added the last third on top then transplanted. I ended up short of the soil I added DOTS to so I just added some of the used soil mix on top - about an inch. This puts the DOTS goodies lower so no biggie.

Here they are sitting pretty and dribbling a little out of the overflow.

I'm a little worried about the DOTS releasing nutes in a timely manner. I may need to add some liquid nutes and top water. We'll see if they start to yellow a bit again.

Oh and here is a gigantic hibiscus flower in the yard.
View media item 1902686
Freedom Isn't Free - today we remember our fallen warriors.
What does this do for the plant? What’s the reasoning behind this?

What’s the reasoning behind this?
Have a look at this- should answer your questions:

What does this do for the plant? What’s the reasoning behind this?
Hiya Blazin!
Check out the link to SIP club.
I'm doing two plants in SIP and 4 in fabric pots this year. Just to see if SIP is really the way to go for my outside grows.
Have a look at this- should answer your questions:

Thanks Carcass!
Hi Scoobs!

Nice growing!
Hiya Tra!
So far so good!
Although I did knock the first nodes off of the White Widow when I transplanted them today. Oops. I was probably going to take them off soon anyway.
Brilliant shed engineering, I like your thinking
As for the doobie then searching for tools - yeah, happens a lot esp ones you just put down lol
Hiya Roy!
It took me a while to wrap my head around the SIP concept. After looking at many SIP container options I choose this style because it seemed really easy to do (it was). Also went with the grow dots because Carcass had recent success using them. I like easy. The fabric pots will be using FF Trio liquid nutes - which is what I used last year.

Bit off topic, but I love your pool. We are in the process of trying to update ours. It’s going to mean tearing up the deck, new filter box, change piping, pack, concrete pool tiles and coping.

#SummerGoals

Bit off topic, but I love your pool. We are in the process of trying to update ours. It’s going to mean tearing up the deck, new filter box, change piping, pack, concrete pool tiles and coping.

#SummerGoals
Hi Tra!

We redid ours ten years ago and one thing I did that I'd never heard of - and neither did my pool guy - was I had him plumb in a PVC water line to refill the pool. Ran it to a nearby sprinkler valve. I set that valve timer to "water" the pool 2 or 3 times per week for ten minutes. It works great! If I notice the water evaporating faster I just add a day. When it is rainy I turn it off. If you are redoing the plaster / piping I highly recommend this. Just make sure the sprinkler valve is at least a foot higher than the level of the water in the pool.

Before doing this I had to manually turn on the hose and if I forgot to turn it off, well, you know.
Good luck on the remodel!

I intentionally tried to FIM several when I topped just to see what would happen. Here are the results.

Critical Kush now has several new tops coming up!

White Widow has two tops on the sides where you would normally see them, but also has a third in the center where I missed.

SFV OG looks typical

As does the SFV Gorilla OG.

I'm very curious to see how they will develop.

I have not yet topped Mimosa as she still looks a little wobbly. I probably should have staked her to a stick to keep her steady in the wind outdoors.

Here is the Watermelon Kush.

The group of 4 that will go into 7 gallon pots.

And the SIP ladies - I have not touched them since putting them in the SIP buckets. They look healthy so far (knock wood).

Their growth seems stunted to me. They popped out of the seeds around April 20th. They were tall enough to leave outside in the sun on May 13th. Unfortunately it has been cloudy and overcast for the past few weeks (May gray).
Today will be nice and sunny, as will the next few days. I'm expecting rapid growth.

Back
Top Bottom