GratefulBud's Summer 2023 Outside Grow

Happy 420 Everyone!

I got really high and thought today would be a great day to start a new grow journal!
This grow will be similar to last year but hopefully less drama.

I grow outdoors in fabric 7 gallon pots. Best placement for sun is on my concrete patio where it can get very HOT! I like the pots because I can move plants a few feet into shade if needed.

Soil will be half recycled FFOF soil from last year, and half fresh FFOF.

Nutrients - I'm planning on using up the Fox Farm liquid nutrients I already have, along with some FF nutes that a buddy has left over. I'm also pondering a few other options - such as Grow Dots or GeoFlora. I like easy.

Right now the plan is to grow 6 plants. I dropped 6 beans a few days ago and all got tails within a few days in a glass of water. Currently all are in plastic solo cups with soil - although only 5 have sprouted. The Mimosa seed took the longest - 4 days - to pop its tail. So hoping I get 6 out of 6.

Seedlings are in the garage under a Mars TS1000 LED grow light. I'll move outdoors when they are strong enough. Bout two weeks maybe.

Seeds
Royal Queen Seeds
Mimosa
White Widow
Watermelon
Critical

Also have one SFV OG and one SFV Gorilla OG. I grew these two strains last year and really like the effects.

Thats about it for now. No pics until things get interesting.

Have a great 420!

Hey Amigo. :ciao:
I'm in.:thumb:

#VIVOSUN #Love What You Grow
Bill284 😎
Hiya Bill!
Should be fun. I just checked the seedlings and all 6 are above ground and growing. Mimosa still has a cap on her head but that should fall off in a day or two I think.

Hiya Bill!
Should be fun. I just checked the seedlings and all 6 are above ground and growing. Mimosa still has a cap on her head but that should fall off in a day or two I think.
Happy Birthday :theband::woohoo:

#VIVOSUN #Love What You Grow
Bill284 :cool:

Omg I’m not late am I?

And thank God Bill and Shed are here. Toileting in this dress is a 3 person job….

I’ll just sit quietly in the corner while you fetch me a pink gin and some nibbles.

B73C86EC-BE2C-49E8-BF3A-31E68C8E9105.jpeg

Omg I’m not late am I?

And thank God Bill and Shed are here. Toileting in this dress is a 3 person job….

I’ll just sit quietly in the corner while you fetch me a pink gin and some nibbles.

B73C86EC-BE2C-49E8-BF3A-31E68C8E9105.jpeg
Hi Tra!

Glad you showed up! I"m looking forward to mayhem. Kind of.

Speaking of which - I think I killed Mimosa before she even got a chance to get going. She was funky from the start - took 4 days before exploding a huge tail in a glass of water. I placed her in a cup of soil near her sisters and she poked thru the dirt wearing a cap. It fell off last night but this morning she is wilted and falling over. I don't think she is going to make it so I'll probably drop another Mimosa seed.

Hi Tra!

Glad you showed up! I"m looking forward to mayhem. Kind of.

Speaking of which - I think I killed Mimosa before she even got a chance to get going. She was funky from the start - took 4 days before exploding a huge tail in a glass of water. I placed her in a cup of soil near her sisters and she poked thru the dirt wearing a cap. It fell off last night but this morning she is wilted and falling over. I don't think she is going to make it so I'll probably drop another Mimosa seed.
I love the mimosa strain.

I’m cheering for you!

Just might pull through! And I was taught by @Amy Gardner that 24 hours is the absolute max to soak in water. After that it goes into dirt tail or no. Some take longer to come up that way but it keeps them from blowing out of the casing while still in water.
Ahh. Good to know.
All were in water more than 24 hours. Mimosa was in water close to 50 hours.
Will see how she's doing in the morning. I found a little bit more of the shell on her and picked that off.

I put them straight into dirt. I’ve never paper towelled. Hadn’t even heard of it till joining this forum.
Yeah I had a brain fart. I knew not to leave it in the glass for long but I guess I forgot. Last year I moved to damp paper towels after one day and the next day they had tails - then moved to soil.

All good - 5 seedlings are doing just fine. The Mimosa is still showing signs of life. Her cotyledon leaves have opened a bit more. Will see how she is doing in another day or two.

Five of the little seedlings are doing great!

Mimosa is lagging behind but I think she will pull through.

Still in the garage under the light but will probably move outdoors in the next day or two. I cranked up the TS1000 to about 75% and they are doing just fine.

I saw a few gnats hanging around so instead of watering from the top (it's been hot and the soil dries out quick) I filled a solo cup half full of filtered water and dipped the soil cup in that and bottom watered. Up to about 2/3 of the soil cup. Then discarded the water from the second cup leaving the soil soaked from the bottom. This keeps the top of the soil dry (although water does wick up almost to the surface). Any excess water drips out of the clear cup into the solo cup.

Any downside to doing this? They seem to be doing just fine. I've done this twice now. No gnats lately but I did see a dead mosquito hawk in the pan.

Those babies are in for a treat once they get acclimated to that Valley sunshine!

I don't see a problem with bottom watering, and if you can keep the very top of the soil dry you might want to sprinkle some DE on it to kill whatever crawls our from below.
Thanks Shed!

Yeah they are getting bigger every day - even the Mimosa.
I'm probably going to build 2 SIP buckets and give one to my brother to grow. The other I will grow right next to my fabric pots. The SIP buckets will be grow dots while the 7 gallon fabric pots will be FF Trio.

Hey GB! What zone are you in? I really wanted to do an outdoor grow this year in the PNW, zone 8b, but decided to hold off and focus on indoor. I'll still do veggies tho of course outdoors!

I'm super late to the party but something Shed said I really want to elaborate on:

Just might pull through! And I was taught by @Amy Gardner that 24 hours is the absolute max to soak in water. After that it goes into dirt tail or no. Some take longer to come up that way but it keeps them from blowing out of the casing while still in water.

I've learned as well that a 24 hour soak is the maximum, and that's so the embryo in the seed doesn't drown and die. The reason to soak is to soften the outer shell and allow the embryo inside less resistance in unfurling and growing. It looks like you remembered that and addressed it a few posts ago so I'm only typing this out for the record that I agree with all of the above :)

Definitely following along on your outdoor grow!

Back
Top Bottom