Group Grow - Autos Only - Seeds Must Be In Soil By The 25/07/2017 Latest

Anyone have an idea as to why my grow cab would suddenly get much hotter than usual?

Got home and my flowering cab was on 93F.. usually it's 72 during Lights on.

Same Lights, same schedule, fans are all working..

What is temperature outside? Humidity outside ?

Has anyone ever used water from the humidifier to water the plants? Or even rain water...woukd rain water be better then ph tap water?
seriously amigo, more critical than the source, is ph, ph, ph .... i use rainwater, lake water, tap water, well water , whatever water. just have to adjust the ph .....

What is temperature outside? Humidity outside ?
Temperature outside the box ranges from 52-67F (Night-day). So it's nice n cool seeing as it's still pretty much "winter".

(I grow with CFL to keep the heat down to minimum)

Noticed that two (of the same brand) of my bulbs are getting much hotter than the rest of them (to the point where I actually cant touch the bulb or it's ballast for longer than about 3 seconds).

I don't think that my wiring could be an issue? Am I putting too much load on it?
It's regular 240V appliance wire, all my lights wired in sets of two, going to a junction box where they meet up with the slightly thicker wire which goes in the wall socket.

Other Lights feel hotter than usual as well, but can hold on to them no issues, doesn't burn just gets hot.

Temperature outside the box ranges from 52-67F (Night-day). So it's nice n cool seeing as it's still pretty much "winter".

(I grow with CFL to keep the heat down to minimum)

Noticed that two (of the same brand) of my bulbs are getting much hotter than the rest of them (to the point where I actually cant touch the bulb or it's ballast for longer than about 3 seconds).

I don't think that my wiring could be an issue? Am I putting too much load on it?
It's regular 240V appliance wire, all my lights wired in sets of two, going to a junction box where they meet up with the slightly thicker wire which goes in the wall socket.

Other Lights feel hotter than usual as well, but can hold on to them no issues, doesn't burn just gets hot.

Okay well a way to tell if your overloading been told touch your fuse box if it feels warm remove some power also any power cords or extension cords feel for heat on it? If it feels warm anywhere remove a light bulb or two ? It will suck to lose the intensity but during veg the light can be a little weaker then bloom?

Also check your fuse box . to see what amp fuse you have ? 15 amp recommended 20 safer

Of your running a ac unit or dehumidifier on top of fans. Lights etc of not a good fuse strong enough can be a fire hazard. So be safe. I got told this by livetoskate on here awhile back I pm Ed him kindly as he said in a post he was electrician by trade and was kind of to teach me what I just shared with you. I hope it helps let's see if we can get this straight for you.

Got an email today saying Seedsman just picked up like 8 new seed bank vendors. Stoked to see what they bring to the table.
Anyone else read this today? Heard of any of these new seed banks?
Preston, theyre all pretty dank and legit companies. Ive seen them all over instagram and theyre legit. They are already out of stock on the new dankest strains. Theyve been out for about 2 months already. Ive been checking the breeders list every week and nothing has changed since then. Im hoping they get in stock in the next few weeks so i can order some beans.

Okay well a way to tell if your overloading been told touch your fuse box if it feels warm remove some power also any power cords or extension cords feel for heat on it? If it feels warm anywhere remove a light bulb or two ? It will suck to lose the intensity but during veg the light can be a little weaker then bloom?

Also check your fuse box . to see what amp fuse you have ? 15 amp recommended 20 safer

Of your running a ac unit or dehumidifier on top of fans. Lights etc of not a good fuse strong enough can be a fire hazard. So be safe. I got told this by livetoskate on here awhile back I pm Ed him kindly as he said in a post he was electrician by trade and was kind of to teach me what I just shared with you. I hope it helps let's see if we can get this straight for you.
Good advise Joe, I'm an electrician by trade also, to add to the above if you have wired the junction box your self turn it off and check the terminations make sure they haven't come loose which can happen by vibration of fans located near them, they need to be tight! , also you say it all goes into the wall socket and mention 240v so guess your not in USA as I think they run at 110v, if it all comes from a wall socket and your in the UK? That will normally be 13a fused ( can check by opening the plug or removing the fuse in the plug top-assuming ur in the UK again) 13amps with 230v can run 3000watts safely which I doubt u are running unless u got a massive tent fully loaded or running big heaters or coolers, you can calculate your total loading/ amp draw to check your not overloaded, this is simple maths, add all the wattage of your electrical equipment lamps fans and heaters together, (fans and heaters will have the wattage or Kw indicated on a sticker somewhere, for Kw multiply by a thousand, example 1.5 Kw is 1500 watts) and divide by voltage (230v for UK), that will give u a result in amps. If this is ok and not above or equal to your fuse in the plug your not overloaded, I would also check the 2 lamps are screwed in nice and tight (not too tight tho or they will be hard to remove and could break) sometimes lamp holders get a bit of carbon build up on them this can be checked by removing the lamp and looking at the little copper tabs that touch the screw in part of the lamps if the tips look black /chared they have carbon build up, if this is the case they are arching slightly creating extra heat a quick fix is to switch it off and use a small file to very carefully file of the carbon build up till u see nice shiny cooper, if u push to hard u may move the cooper connectors you can very carefully bend them back into position, becarefull if u bend them back and forth repeatedly they will snap off so be careful and always make sure the power is off before attempting any electrical work! Hope this helps? If u need help working out your loadings let me know, happy growing everyone enjoying the thread
Just notice u mention ballast getting hot also if all the above is ok check leads to and from the ballast unit if they are ok, it could be an internal problem in the ballast or lack of air flow round them try to get a small fan blasting on them see if that helps also check all air vents are free of obstructions

Hey lion, I got a little telling off for my last post didn't realize it was against forum rules to offer what I did haha, just an update I watered down the bug spray by 20% and all seems good now with little lady indoors, just noticed this morning some tiny pre flower, who on here suggests LST with autos? Seen so many different opinions most suggesting it does reduce yields? What are people's thoughts?
notice u got hit by them too little f**kers hope that's all cleaned up now, journals looking great bro some interesting stains growing, tight buds all ✌️

Hey bud !
Hahaha , yea so did I .. But don't stress it's a honest mistake :)
Send us a couple of pics
LST is a good option for autos or ponnytailing the top leaves a couple of hours a day giving the lower branches time to catch up to the top ones.
Hope that helps you buddy !
What did u use to get rid of your lil bastards haha ?

Hey bud !
Hahaha , yea so did I .. But don't stress it's a honest mistake :)
Send us a couple of pics
LST is a good option for autos or ponnytailing the top leaves a couple of hours a day giving the lower branches time to catch up to the top ones.
Hope that helps you buddy !
What did u use to get rid of your lil bastards haha ?
420-magazine-mobile194339964.jpg

That's the bug killer I used watered it down 20% sprayed under leaves fist as they dropped like a bitch then tops and stems, little mist over top of the soil and fed her the day before all seems clear now, guna get a bug filter on my supply fan to stop new invasions haha got a few little holes on a few leaves from the damage they made but hopefully caught it in good time to stop major damage.
I'll update some pics tomorrow or Monday as got a full house, so to start LST I just slowly pull down and hold the main stem yeah? Then this makes the lower nodes shoot up? Creating multiple main buds right.
Must say little lady is much more bushy smaller and less stretched then the GH ones started flowering much earlier to, hoping she starts a real good stretch over the next few weeks, I added another 4* 2 ft t5 fitting to her as well making 72watts of 6500k lamps and 72watts of 3000k lamps she seems to be enjoying it!

Hey lion, I got a little telling off for my last post didn't realize it was against forum rules to offer what I did haha️

Tried sending you a PM (disabled so couldn't reach you in private) is this about the electrical advise or something different? Just want to make sure before I respond to your previous (actually helpful) post. Would like to elaborate, could clear some things up about my setup. Help would be superb, I've been electricuted a few times before (always think I can manage without touching live wires - I've learned my lesson though, been a while, much more careful)

Tried sending you a PM (disabled so couldn't reach you in private) is this about the electrical advise or something different? Just want to make sure before I respond to your previous (actually helpful) post. Would like to elaborate, could clear some things up about my setup. Help would be superb, I've been electricuted a few times before (always think I can manage without touching live wires - I've learned my lesson though, been a while, much more careful)
Hey JGibs no that's about some thing else how can I help u buddy?

Good advise Joe, I'm an electrician by trade also, to add to the above if you have wired the junction box your self turn it off and check the terminations make sure they haven't come loose which can happen by vibration of fans located near them, they need to be tight! , also you say it all goes into the wall socket and mention 240v so guess your not in USA as I think they run at 110v, if it all comes from a wall socket and your in the UK? That will normally be 13a fused ( can check by opening the plug or removing the fuse in the plug top-assuming ur in the UK again) 13amps with 230v can run 3000watts safely which I doubt u are running unless u got a massive tent fully loaded or running big heaters or coolers, you can calculate your total loading/ amp draw to check your not overloaded, this is simple maths, add all the wattage of your electrical equipment lamps fans and heaters together, (fans and heaters will have the wattage or Kw indicated on a sticker somewhere, for Kw multiply by a thousand, example 1.5 Kw is 1500 watts) and divide by voltage (230v for UK), that will give u a result in amps. If this is ok and not above or equal to your fuse in the plug your not overloaded, I would also check the 2 lamps are screwed in nice and tight (not too tight tho or they will be hard to remove and could break) sometimes lamp holders get a bit of carbon build up on them this can be checked by removing the lamp and looking at the little copper tabs that touch the screw in part of the lamps if the tips look black /chared they have carbon build up, if this is the case they are arching slightly creating extra heat a quick fix is to switch it off and use a small file to very carefully file of the carbon build up till u see nice shiny cooper, if u push to hard u may move the cooper connectors you can very carefully bend them back into position, becarefull if u bend them back and forth repeatedly they will snap off so be careful and always make sure the power is off before attempting any electrical work! Hope this helps? If u need help working out your loadings let me know, happy growing everyone enjoying the thread .
Just notice u mention ballast getting hot also if all the above is ok check leads to and from the ballast unit if they are ok, it could be an internal problem in the ballast or lack of air flow round them try to get a small fan blasting on them see if that helps also check all air vents are free of obstructions .

Nice now I know two electricians lol

Nice now I know two electricians lol
Networking with tradesmen is key to life! LoL

I'm retired military and a contractor by trade. I have 2 friends who are plumbers, a few landscapers, and an electrician. We trade favors regularly.

Now If I can just find a friend who is a world renowned chef.

Hey JGibs no that's about some thing else how can I help u buddy?
Okay I'll try and keep this as short and simple as possible:

On the main box I've got this:
420-magazine-mobile749847015.jpg

On the second "plug" breaker I have 3 wall sockets(outlets) in my living room/hallway.
First one runs a Refrigerator (apparently 0.9A) and my Intercom telephone (sometimes a cellphone charger as well)

2: barely in use, runs my laptop when I use it (every other day) and a cellphone charger.

3: TV, Docking Station (speaker),PS4 and a 5 meter extension cord that goes to my grow box and workdesk (desk has a desklamp and fiance's laptop)

Grow box:
3x small PC fans
2x Bigger PC fans
Fans powered by old 150w powersupply.
Bloom box has 10 CFLs inside (self ballast which are the ones seemingly getting hot) all wired together (goes into one cord into wall socket adaptor). Total of about 200 watt (small growspace 2ftx2ftx4ft) these are on a digital timer.

Same wall socket runs my veg cab with 120watts total (one cord)

And.... That's about it..

Here's some photos of my setup:
420-magazine-mobile33174076.jpg

Box at the top is where all the wires meet and go out to the wall socket.

420-magazine-mobile502763466.jpg

Inside that box is one of these (sorry this probably looks like a nightmare to you lol) this is the one behind my veg cab reflector (will be making one for flower cab soon as well, need to focus those lights)

Am I living dangerously? Haha.. oops
Haha I've seen worse! so I think I can make out your not in the UK? As I don't recognise the make of the fuse box, also I can say you are not overloading judging by the total power you are running, based on 240volts? That you mention you have there, the open connectors and the terminals to lamp holders are a little dangerous if its getting humid in there so don't reach above them with out turning it off or your have another shock to add to you list, so from your original post you mention that only 2 of these are getting excessively hot? Is that right? The clf lamps do generate alot of heat being used for that period of time constantly and I struggle to keep my hands on them sometimes, the only thing that stand out to me is you have different lamp holders so I'm wondering if the 'hot' ones are both in lamp holder that are the same? Lamp holders do have a max wattage rating so I wonder if you are exceeding this? Let me know if this makes sense?

Haha I've seen worse! so I think I can make out your not in the UK?

Haha, no not from UK. I'm from South Africa.

That you mention you have there, the open connectors and the terminals to lamp holders are a little dangerous if its getting humid in there so don't reach above them with out turning it off or your have another shock to add to you list

I don't touch anything except my pots while power is on, will do my absolute best not to get a shocking experience again.

so from your original post you mention that only 2 of these are getting excessively hot? Is that right? The clf lamps do generate alot of heat being used for that period of time constantly and I struggle to keep my hands on them sometimes, the only thing that stand out to me is you have different lamp holders so I'm wondering if the 'hot' ones are both in lamp holder that are the same? Lamp holders do have a max wattage rating so I wonder if you are exceeding this? Let me know if this makes sense?

It makes sense, to be honest the ones that are getting hot are screw in bulbs with the ceramic? holders, same ones inside the CFL floodlight, they were the first to get very hot, hense the small fan blowing directly into the reflector as seen below.

420-magazine-mobile632890149.jpg

Networking with tradesmen is key to life! LoL

I'm retired military and a contractor by trade. I have 2 friends who are plumbers, a few landscapers, and an electrician. We trade favors regularly.

Now If I can just find a friend who is a world renowned chef. .

I'm a little handy. Been told a hard worker by some pretty big boys

Haha, no not from UK. I'm from South Africa.

I don't touch anything except my pots while power is on, will do my absolute best not to get a shocking experience again.

It makes sense, to be honest the ones that are getting hot are screw in bulbs with the ceramic? holders, same ones inside the CFL floodlight, they were the first to get very hot, hense the small fan blowing directly into the reflector as seen below.

420-magazine-mobile632890149.jpg
I think the ceramic ones can handle 100w so don't think that will be the problem did u wire it all yourself? Are the fans screwed or touching the cupboard? I'm thinking the little screws on the lamp holder that holds the wires could be slightly loose or being loosened by the vibrations this will definitely heat it up, also make sure there is a nice amount of cooper in the screw terminals and no outer pvc insulation in the connections, also checked for blackening of the cooper bits where they touch the lamp as mentioned before, this is a big problem with the screw in type the other push and twist type (BC) both gets this problem over time well worth a look, if all that is ok I wouldn't worry too much and try to supplement the extra heat by upgrading the ventilation, I have a 28w clf in my loft/attic if I'm in there for a while i can't touch it after, periodically check the cables going to the lamp holders for signs of heat (blackening near the screws) like Joe said check if they are getting hot by feel, if they are try to get a slightly bigger size cable on them or more heat resistant like they use for water heaters

Back
Top Bottom