Growing for the first time

stump

lots of people ask, "how much will my plant yield?" and get vague answers because the question is too general. Here is a very specific one: I am growing two plants in a 10 gallon bucket. Rocks on the bottom, a layer of sand, then vermiculite & potting soil as the basic medium, mixed in with just a bit of the clay soil out here at the base of the front Range of the Rockies. The seeds were salvaged from a purchase last year, and have no idea what breed they are. I planted around Mother's day. One looks Sativa- long, narrow leaves, non-overlapping, lighter color, late manifestation of trichomes. The other looks Indica- earlier bushing out, darker green, lots of trichomes now, all clear to slightly milky. They have both been topped twice so that I have four tall stalks, with buds growing almost all the way down to the soil, as I choked up on the central stalks when I transplanted from a five gallon bucket about a month ago. max height is about 21 inches. I've been clipping out leaves that shade nice pre-flower production. I'm also "bonsai" training the stalks with baling wire to spread the plants out for max sunlight access. Given the size of the 10 gallon bucket I don't anticipate them getting any taller. I live in Denver, and the sunlight is predictably strong. I've been using a bit of Miracle Grow with a spray gun every Saturday. Anybody want to speculate about how much yield I'll get? I think the Indica will be ready to harvest soon, the Sativa will take longer, I think.

lots of people ask, "how much will my plant yield?" and get vague answers because the question is too general. Here is a very specific one: I am growing two plants in a 10 gallon bucket. Rocks on the bottom, a layer of sand, then vermiculite & potting soil as the basic medium, mixed in with just a bit of the clay soil out here at the base of the front Range of the Rockies. The seeds were salvaged from a purchase last year, and have no idea what breed they are. I planted around Mother's day. One looks Sativa- long, narrow leaves, non-overlapping, lighter color, late manifestation of trichomes. The other looks Indica- earlier bushing out, darker green, lots of trichomes now, all clear to slightly milky. They have both been topped twice so that I have four tall stalks, with buds growing almost all the way down to the soil, as I choked up on the central stalks when I transplanted from a five gallon bucket about a month ago. max height is about 21 inches. I've been clipping out leaves that shade nice pre-flower production. I'm also "bonsai" training the stalks with baling wire to spread the plants out for max sunlight access. Given the size of the 10 gallon bucket I don't anticipate them getting any taller. I live in Denver, and the sunlight is predictably strong. I've been using a bit of Miracle Grow with a spray gun every Saturday. Anybody want to speculate about how much yield I'll get? I think the Indica will be ready to harvest soon, the Sativa will take longer, I think.

thanks for all the info. although its still hard to predict a yield from text. post a pic and I will have a guess for you..

Ok, I just uploaded a couple of photos. make a guess. 1/4 oz? 3 pounds? gimme a ballpark estimate... I'm guessing around an ounce...

2013-9-24_042.JPG

View image in gallery

thanks for the input! this is a lot of fun. I will post more photos when the trichomes start changing. should I trim back the leaves a bit more?

For those who are growing for the first time (or first time in 35 years!) and ask how much product to expect from a modest hobby project, above find photos of Thelma (Indica, the plant in back in the first photo above) and Louise (Sativa, foreground) the subsequent pix are a close-up of Thelma: she is thick with trichomes, and they're just starting to show amber. Then a close-up of Louise. SHe's taking longer to come in but the trichomes, still clear, are thickening. The next two are nice close-ups of Thelma's buds, and then at last one of Louise's developing buds. THe plants still stand about 20 inches high. You should know that when I germinated the seeds, I was slow to check on them and they had grown super-long falling-over stems, and I had to bury them up to their necks right away. SO they had a bit of a stressful start and so I don't know if the 20" limit is because of that, or the ten gallon bucket that limits root growth, or maybe the topping I did as soon as the main stalks showed two sets of five-pointed leaves on Louise, one set on Thelma. I'm still spraying a weak Miracle Grow mix on Saturdays. Louise will probably be ready to chop out of the bucket next week or two, Thelma, maybe another three-four weeks??? I'm still assuming that the total take will be around two ounces per plant? maybe less on Thelma, but she still has time to get a bit more bushy/bud-dy. Zoot! Light Addict! what do you think?

For those who are growing for the first time (or first time in 35 years!) and ask how much product to expect from a modest hobby project, above find photos of Thelma (Indica, the plant in back in the first photo above) and Louise (Sativa, foreground) the subsequent pix are a close-up of Thelma: she is thick with trichomes, and they're just starting to show amber. Then a close-up of Louise. SHe's taking longer to come in but the trichomes, still clear, are thickening. The next two are nice close-ups of Thelma's buds, and then at last one of Louise's developing buds. THe plants still stand about 20 inches high. You should know that when I germinated the seeds, I was slow to check on them and they had grown super-long falling-over stems, and I had to bury them up to their necks right away. SO they had a bit of a stressful start and so I don't know if the 20" limit is because of that, or the ten gallon bucket that limits root growth, or maybe the topping I did as soon as the main stalks showed two sets of five-pointed leaves on Louise, one set on Thelma. I'm still spraying a weak Miracle Grow mix on Saturdays. Louise will probably be ready to chop out of the bucket next week or two, Thelma, maybe another three-four weeks??? I'm still assuming that the total take will be around two ounces per plant? maybe less on Thelma, but she still has time to get a bit more bushy/bud-dy. Zoot! Light Addict! what do you think?

personally I think they have more than 2 weeks left. biggest mistake you can make is chopping early. wait until more of the pistals are red.. you might even get more than 2oz

at a rough guess id say about an oz dry, the buds dont look to fat but they look more long,

mg is not the best food to use but it will do the job,
get yourself a cheap scope or magnifying glass, some of the cheap hardware stores of 99p what ever the cheap stores are where you are sell scopes and mag glasses, i got mine of the net for 99p or $1.50ish
we have sponsors that sell scopes for $6ish i think last time i checked,

anyway what you need to do is have a really close look at the buds all over the plant and check the mushroom looking crystals on the buds and bud leaves, then use the following guide,
clear trichs means the plant is not ready
100% cloudy or their abouts means that thc is at its peak and the plant is ready for harvest, clear trichomes look like ice and milky ones look like milky water or slightly cloudy water
so thc is at its peak at all cloudy trichs, but if you want a stronger couch lock affect then wait until the trichs have started to turn amber, when the trichs turn from cloudy to amber this means that the thc is turning into cbn which is what gives us the couch lock affect,

how ever most indica heavy strains will have a strong couch lock affect at 100% cloudy, so letting it go amber is only going to make it slightly stronger, i like to harvest between 20 and 40% amber.
the scope i use is 60x and cost next to nothing to buy, so using a scope you will know exactly when the plant is ready, some strains really bulk up in the last 2 weeks of flower, the seed pods (calyx )start to swell and look like they got seeds inside do to the swelling, so a lot of plants put on the weight in the last 2 weeks,

Actually I have the eyepiece from a spotter on an 8" telescope and it shows trichome detail well. The indica is showing a very few amber trichomes in some places but mostly clear to slightly milky. So it sounds like I should harvest that one soon? The sativa is not as thick with trichomes, all clear. But there's another issue! the overnight lows are going down into the mid forties these days. Should I carry the plants inside at night? what's the minimum outdoor temp I should allow the plants to experience?

It snowed a bit last night. The girls spent the night in my bedroom. Slightly stinky:thumb: a window exhaust fan took care of that. Lows for the next several days will be around freezing or just above. A fresh look at trichomes tells me it will still be a while. I may go out and get a couples of specialty light bulbs. on the bright side, the indica plant is starting to sparkle all around the hairy parts.

Above you will find photos from this morning. The Indica now sparkles with tiny trichome diamonds all around the hairy parts. The colors run 50%clear, 25%milky, 25% amber. The sativa (smaller & less dense buds in the photos) is still almost completely clear. I bring the bucket inside when the overnight low is below 50. Since I don't really know what specific breed I'm growing, I figure is'ts better safe than sorry. I have a sun room but can't put it in there because it turns out (word to the wise!!!) my cat likes to munch a few leaves and then go throw up. Below you will find pix that show off the number of buds a bit better. the sativa buds in particular are kinda small but over all I'm hoping for a couple of ounces anyway once I've cured both plants.

Back
Top Bottom