Growing for the first time

Hi mate,

plants look ok, not sure whats going on with the trichs on it though, they normally start off clear like ice which means no thc, then they turn cloudy and around 100% cloudy means thc is at its peak, then they start to turn amber after cloudy, this is when thc turns into cbn which gives the stronger couch lock affect,

another way to judge when a plant is nearly ready is when the white pistils have stared to turn orange or brown, then when the plant stops growing pistils (the while hairs) this means the plant is getting near to the end of its life, while its still producing white hairs its still growing, the white hairs are attatched to a calya(seed pod) now in the last 2 weeks of growth these seed pods swell up and look like they got seeds inside, this is when the plant puts on the most weight,

so just keep an eye on it, each pistil is attatched to a seed pod, so the pistils will start to shrivel up and die and turn orange or brown, then the caly(seed pod) will swell up and look like its seeded, this usually happens in the last 2 weeks of growth so its best to wait until the plant has stopped growing pistils, something else might of caused the trichs to change colour early such as stress like heat stress or lack of or to much nutrients, as long as the plant looks healthy and the pistils look healthy then its still got some way to go before harvest,

when i harvest my plants the pistils have shrunk back onto the buds and turned brown and you can then actually see the seed pods swelling up.

any problems just give us a shout back, im subbed to lots of journals so if you need to get hold of me a bit quicker just drop me a pm and ill get back to you the same day, usually within an hour or 2, it just takes me a while to get through all the journals so pm me if you need to get hold of me a bit quicker,

keep checking the tricks and see how they look, clear looks like ice, cloudy looks like milky water, amber looks like the trichome has shrivled up a bit and looks like its falling over and will have an orange look to it, its best to check the trichs under natural daylight as light bulbs can give a false reading,

its best to check the buds all over the plant, check the sugar leaves attatched to the buds at different parts of the plant and that will give you a good idea of when its ready,

its ok to harvest at 100% cloudy, its ok to harvest before then if you dont want to much thc affect but when its cloudy its ready to harvest, but i like to wait until they turn 20 to 40% amber as i know for sure that the plant is finished and starting to go past her best, but while the pistils look ok and its still growing pistils then the plant is still growing and the buds will get bigger,

ive just put up some pics of my plants and you will get a good idea from them as to when the plants nearly really, if you click on the link below in my signature, its the top link the 400watt hps grow, click on that then go to the last 2 or 3 pages and have a look through my pics, find the jack flash plant and its been grown 12-12 from seed so i can sample the buds before deciding if im going to grow a bit plant of this as its a slow growing plant so need to make sure its the correct jack flash strain before i commit to a long grow time, but have a look at that pic and my jack flash is a week or 2 from harvest, its mostly cloudy now with the odd amer but can easily go another week or 2, its only been in the last 2 weeks that the buds have started to get bigger

17_oct_2013_005.JPG
17_oct_2013_017.JPG
17_oct_2013_021.JPG
17_oct_2013_036.JPG
17_oct_2013_040.JPG
ct_2013_009.JPG[/img]
17_oct_2013_012.JPG

I checked the trichomes with a different eyepiece and found that the indica plant is about 40%amber. it's tricky because I need to get the light coming through the trichomes to really tell clear from milky from amber. Anyway I got a good look in bright sunlight and decided I will be cutting Thelma tonight. Next stage: drying and curing, while waiting for Louise to come in. I have a pretty dark garage, and an exhaust fan in the window. I'm just wondering how much smell there will be. Right now I am guessing I'm going to get about 2 ounces of dried cured product. anybody have any idea how much odor that might produce? I'm thinking about running the fan only between 10 PM and 6 AM...

WOW. I started this thread with the musical question, "how much pot will a couple of pot grown pot plants give me at the end of the season?" Here is an initial preliminary answer: I cut the indica plant and weighed it. Thelma, fresh (full of water weight) and including the entire stem down to the soil, came in at 3.9 ounces. I'll weigh her again periodically over the next week or so as I dry & cure. In the meantime, Louise is still putting on weight and so I am pretty sure I will get a few ounces out of this!!! And I didn't really spend a dime. Now I'm waiting to see what the quality of the smoke is.

40 hours later the weight on Thelma has dropped to 2.9 ounces. I have her in a bathroom with an exhaust fan. The odor isn't overwhelming. For that small an amount maybe you don't have to worry about the neighbors so much. Louise is still taking the morning sun, with little or no sign of amber trichomes that I can tell, but I'll be watching that closely. Tomorrow afternoon I'm going to disassemble Thelma: trim the leaves, toss out the main stems, and put the buds in a giant (10" tall) sealing mason jar and open it for a few hours every day for a week, and then do a final weigh of bud & trim. But the Sativa, Louise, is still to be processed so I am still working on that final answer to the question, "what if I'm just an amateur hobbyist who already knows how to grow plants in general, and I just want to grow a plant or two in my sunroom & backyard in a big pot? How much herb will I get? I'm zeroing in on probably around four ounces total? time will tell.

nice, well done on the harvest,

just be careful with the jar process as moisture can build up pretty quick in the jars, what i do is the first day i put them in the jar i leave the lid off, then i tip the buds out 24 hours later and find that the moisture level in the buds has raised due to them touching each other, so i spread them out on a tray and let them dry for a couple of hours before putting back in the jar, this time i put the lid on.

then the next day i open the lid and check moisure in the buds and if they are moist again then they come back out the jar for an hour before going back in, once moisture is stable and not getting higher over night or over a few hours then i just burp the lid for a couple of minutes a few times a day, i tip the buds out every couple of days so they dont end up all stuck together as they cure, but then once the moisture level is stable the lid can stay on and left for a longer cure.

most strains will lose around 70% of the harvest weight, not all strains follow this rule but most do, but ive had as little as 50% weight lost but that was on a plant that had sold dense buds, so the lighter and more fluffy the buds are the more weight they tend to lose, but if a plant produce dense buds that foxtail then usually the weight loss is less than 70%, but 70% is a rough guide i use when i weigh the buds at harvest, but i get anything from 50% to 70% depending on strain and how dense the buds are, only once have i hit 50% welght loss, id say the average is around 60% for me from harvest to cured

I will be posting more photos soon. Thelma came in at .75 oz after curing. Tastes diesel-ish, very heady stone. Louise is still bulking up, and maybe will get a half oz out of her when all is finished.

One of the issues that home-growers might think about is how sticky a good healthy plant gets as the trichomes build. I notice that my yellow lab and grey tabby both shed, and on a sunny day I can see that Louise has attracted quite a few animal hairs. Unavoidable, I guess, as Louise is still not ready7 to harvest and the outdoor temps at night are around freezing so I have to keep her inside most of the time.

Which brings up another grow issue that first-timers might not think about till it's too late: my cat loves to chew the leaves. Fortunately she doesn't eat the buds, just the big leaves. But I won't have much leaf trim when I harvest my second plant! PS has anyone else ever run into this problem?

Back
Top Bottom