HashGirl Grows Runtz Punch & Sugar Black Rose Sponsored By Herbie's

I'd say neem and iso/water for veg. It's a lot less work. Save the Safers for flower.

I sprayed with iso this morning. I haven't received the new sprayer yet for the Neem mix but plan to incorporate it when I get it.

Do you rinse off the the neem when it dries? What about the iso?

*** Weekly Update ***

Good afternoon.

Lots of activity in the garden this week. Highlights include:
  • they were treated for thrips 2x this week
  • they were all topped this week
  • I cloned the Sugar Black Rose top
  • and, I uppotted Runtz Punch 1 and the Sugar Black Rose to 5-gallon pots. I will be uppotting RP2 tomorrow
I have cloning questions. The method I used was cutting the top and then shaving the stem a bit, dipped in cloning gel and coated the stem and then dipped in rooting powder and planted in a peat puck and is now in my seed starter kit with the lid on.

How old is the clone? Is it 5 days old because I cut it 5 days ago or is it 39 days, which is how old the SBR is?

She's still holding a lot of moisture in the puck so I haven't fed her with anything yet. When I do, how many grams/gallon of MegaCrop should I start her at?

I'm planning on transferring her to a 1-gallon pot once she has roots.

Here are this week's pics:

Photo 1 - 420 Update.jpg

RP1 - Day 39:

Photo 2 - RP1.jpeg

Photo 3 - RP1.jpeg

RP2 - Day 39:

Photo 4 - RP2.jpeg

Photo 5 - RP2.jpeg

SBR - Day 39:

Photo 6 - SBR.jpeg

Photo 7 - SBR.jpeg

SBR-C - Day ???:

Photo 8 - SBR-C.jpeg

And, that's it. I'm looking forward to getting help with the clone.

Clones are the same age and as sexually mature as the mother was. That just means if the mother was ready to flower then the clone could be flowered too. So you could kind of say she's 39 days old. No need to feed until they root but once they do then they should be able to handle the same nutrients the parent had. I feed lightly until they get established but I'm far from an expert on cloning. Getting them to root is the easy part... My clones always stall for few weeks after the fact.

*** Weekly Update ***

Good afternoon.

Lots of activity in the garden this week. Highlights include:
  • they were treated for thrips 2x this week
  • they were all topped this week
  • I cloned the Sugar Black Rose top
  • and, I uppotted Runtz Punch 1 and the Sugar Black Rose to 5-gallon pots. I will be uppotting RP2 tomorrow
I have cloning questions. The method I used was cutting the top and then shaving the stem a bit, dipped in cloning gel and coated the stem and then dipped in rooting powder and planted in a peat puck and is now in my seed starter kit with the lid on.

How old is the clone? Is it 5 days old because I cut it 5 days ago or is it 39 days, which is how old the SBR is?

She's still holding a lot of moisture in the puck so I haven't fed her with anything yet. When I do, how many grams/gallon of 420 should I start her at?

I'm planning on transferring her to a 1-gallon pot once she has roots.

Here are this week's pics:

Photo 1 - 420 Update.jpg

RP1 - Day 39:

Photo 2 - RP1.jpeg

Photo 3 - RP1.jpeg

RP2 - Day 39:

Photo 4 - RP2.jpeg

Photo 5 - RP2.jpeg

SBR - Day 39:

Photo 6 - SBR.jpeg

Photo 7 - SBR.jpeg

SBR-C - Day ???:

Photo 8 - SBR-C.jpeg

And, that's it. I'm looking forward to getting help with the clone.
Did you remove large lower fan leaves on RP2? Those two huge ones up top, phew.

Clones like humidity early on but I prefer to spray the inside of the dome and not the leaves themselves as that can invite trouble.

I've had issues leaving them under a misted dome for too long so now I wean them out fairly quickly, over a period of four days. Day one is under a misted and non-vented dome, and then I gradually expose it to more and more outside air over the next three days until day four when it is completely open to the veg space air.

If it wilts when I take the dome off that tells me I rushed it a bit, but I'm trying to get it out from pampered status as quickly as reasonably possible.

:ciao: hiya HG. Yes, like you intuited and Reggie said the clones are as old as the original seedling would be. Say if you had a clone of the original Chemdog’91 and you took a cutting five days ago. That cutting would still be a 30+ year old plant. Hard case huh?

Getting them to root is the easy part... My clones always stall for few weeks after the fact.

I like to stall clones. It helps with my workflow to keep pressure down on planning. Too often cuttings stall for me before I would call them clones - before roots show. If I harden them off well they’ll push roots out alright.

Clones like humidity early on but I prefer to spray the inside of the dome and not the leaves themselves as that can invite trouble.

I've had issues leaving them under a misted dome for too long so now I wean them out fairly quickly, over a period of four days. Day one is under a misted and non-vented done, and then I gradually expose it to more and more outside air over the next three days until day four when it is completely open to the veg space air.

If it wilts when I take the done off that tells me I rushed it a bit, but I'm trying to get it out from pampered status as quickly as reasonably possible.

Most of the cuttings I kill that fail to thrive in the Stable is from mishandling the hardening. Encouraging the things to switch from feeding/hydrating through their leaves to putting out roots.

It was hit and miss for me until I read some advice from... I want to say @beez0404 ? (Correct me if I’m wrong?)
The advice was simply to use the timer on your cellphone and stick to it.
5 minutes with the lid off day one, increasing in 5 minute increments twice daily to 30 min.
[edit to clarify: we bump the timer up five minutes once per day, but remove domes two or three times] cheers.
Then my memory has blurred some of the instructions and I’ll let them go 10 or 15 minutes more (twice or thrice daily) every day to an hour. If they stand up without droop/wilt after an hr they get to keep their hats off subject to regular inspection. I’ll puff a dome and cover one to rehydrate it, but generally if they are still standing after an hour in the air (a week after cutting) then they’ll show roots within a few days.

Has anyone seen those plastic pods you can fill with damp soil and clamp around the branch of a plant? You can make branches/clones root before you even cut them off the donor plant! I have only seen them online not irl.

I hope your knee is better HG? Say hi to Felonious.

Has anyone seen those plastic pods you can fill with damp soil and clamp around the branch of a plant? You can make branches/clones root before you even cut them off the donor plant! I have only seen them online not irl.
You can make some really big clones that way. And you can accomplish the same thing with some plastic wrap, a couple of pieces of string and some moist sphagnum moss.

Pretty cool tech. Called "air layering" I believe.

Air layering

You can make some really big clones that way. And you can accomplish the same thing with some plastic wrap, a couple of pieces of string and some moist sphagnum moss.

Pretty cool tech. Called "air layering" I believe.

Air layering

I want to try this. It will be diy-style when I do. Thanks for the link and the right nomenclature too. :cheer:

I personally count Day 1 of Veg the first time I see new growth with my clones. In a monstercropped clone this can take up to 40 days! Lol. 40 days for day 1! Lolllll

Did you remove large lower fan leaves on RP2? Those two huge ones up top, phew.

Yeah, I removed the damaged lower leaves. And, yes, the top 2 fan leaves look huge because of that.

:ciao: hiya HG. Yes, like you intuited and Reggie said the clones are as old as the original seedling would be. Say if you had a clone of the original Chemdog’91 and you took a cutting five days ago. That cutting would still be a 30+ year old plant. Hard case huh?

I like to stall clones. It helps with my workflow to keep pressure down on planning. Too often cuttings stall for me before I would call them clones - before roots show. If I harden them off well they’ll push roots out alright.

Most of the cuttings I kill that fail to thrive in the Stable is from mishandling the hardening. Encouraging the things to switch from feeding/hydrating through their leaves to putting out roots.

It was hit and miss for me until I read some advice from... I want to say @beez0404 ? (Correct me if I’m wrong?)
The advice was simply to use the timer on your cellphone and stick to it.
5 minutes with the lid off day one, increasing in 5 minute increments twice daily to 30 min.
[edit to clarify: we bump the timer up five minutes once per day, but remove domes two or three times] cheers.
Then my memory has blurred some of the instructions and I’ll let them go 10 or 15 minutes more (twice or thrice daily) every day to an hour. If they stand up without droop/wilt after an hr they get to keep their hats off subject to regular inspection. I’ll puff a dome and cover one to rehydrate it, but generally if they are still standing after an hour in the air (a week after cutting) then they’ll show roots within a few days.

Thank you, Donkey. I will try this.

I hope your knee is better HG? Say hi to Felonious.

Thank you. I have another appointment with the surgeon/surgeon's team on Tuesday. At my last appointment, they recommended me for knee replacement surgery. I'm hoping the surgery happens before the summer so that I can enjoy walks and hikes again in the nice weather.

Will do.

All of the above! :thumb:

I recommend a solo cup.

The leaves are really big and will probably extend over the cup's edges. Is that not a problem?

Clones are the same age and as sexually mature as the mother was. That just means if the mother was ready to flower then the clone could be flowered too. So you could kind of say she's 39 days old. No need to feed until they root but once they do then they should be able to handle the same nutrients the parent had. I feed lightly until they get established but I'm far from an expert on cloning. Getting them to root is the easy part... My clones always stall for few weeks after the fact.

:thanks:

That's what I've been doing: just spritzing the dome and tray not the clone itself.

I've had issues leaving them under a misted dome for too long so now I wean them out fairly quickly, over a period of four days. Day one is under a misted and non-vented dome, and then I gradually expose it to more and more outside air over the next three days until day four when it is completely open to the veg space air.

If it wilts when I take the dome off that tells me I rushed it a bit, but I'm trying to get it out from pampered status as quickly as reasonably possible.

:thanks:

That's what I've been doing: just spritzing the dome and tray not the clone itself.
Perfect.

I'm trying out a slightly different version this round that seems to be working quite well. Basically I put the clone in some rooting media (I'm using a 2:1 mix of sand and leaf mold) and then put that container into an outer shell (I'm using a couple of takeout salad containers.)

Then I put water in the lower half and cover it with a similar inverted container and put the whole thing on a heat mat. The mat warms the water enough to produce humidity in the outer shell.

I have low humidity issues in my grow space right now and the localized humidity seems to be working well. I have a round going that's about 12 days old and no roots yet, but the cut looks just about as good as it did the day I cut it.

Not a problem at all. The old adage about transplanting when the fans are wider than the cup never made any sense to me. It's all about the roots. When there are enough roots for it to need water every 24-36 hours, that's when it's time to upcan.
Perfectly said. I think that adage comes from using larger pots as well. By the time the leaves and branches are large enough to overhang say a 1 or 2 gallon pot, the roots are likely in decent enough shape to transplant. So, an easy visual cue.

I start mine out typically in an 8 oz cup, so they overhang the edges pretty much from the start so that adage is useless for me.

*** Weekly Update ***

Good afternoon.

It was a quiet week in the garden and the only highlight is that all 3 plants have now been uppotted to 5-gallon pots. They were also sprayed with Neem a couple of days ago. They're the only plants I have currently that I can use Neem spray on since I'm planning on putting my Pineapple Expresses and Blue Dream into flower this week.

Here are the pics:

Photo 1 - 420 Info.jpg

RP1 - Day 47:

Photo 2 - W22 - RP1.jpeg

Photo 3 - W22 - RP1.jpeg

RP2 - Day 47:

Photo 4 - W22 - RP2.jpeg

Photo 5 - W22 - RP2.jpeg

SBR - Day 47:

Photo 6 - W22 - SBR.jpeg

Photo 7 - W22 - SBR.jpeg

SBR - Clone - Day 47 (13):

Photo 8 -  SBR-C.jpeg

And, that's it. Thanks for following along and if you have any questions or comments, please feel free to post them.

Back
Top Bottom