HashGirl's First Indoor Grow: Dark Devil Autos In Hempy, 2020

and insisted that hempy was the best way to grow

There is no best way to grow. Often, when someone uses those words, it translates to either the most recent method they used or the first method they used (and got a successful harvest). People treat cannabis like it's some kind of special plant that is in its own class in regards to... everything in the universe. And they get fixated on whatever happens to work for them. That probably gets reinforced by the fact that they're usually #%&^ing stoned when they think about it (if they think about it :rolleyes: ). The hempy method is a compromise between a traditional soil grow and active(ly-aerated) hydroponics. As such, it has both good points and bad ones.

In regards to the growing of cannabis, it's just a plant. And not even a particularly difficult one to grow, at that.

I used to recommend people start down the path by doing a single-plant DWC grow in a relatively large (20 to 25 US gallons) highly-aerated reservoir. It removes a lot of variables. The large reservoir is more stable, It's less supportive of an insect population than soil. When the gardener does a thing, the results are generally very quick to show. Assuming great airflow, the plant has an excellent defense against high temperatures. If done as a proper SCROG grow - and assuming a decent (length of time) growth phase - one plant can easily fill an eight square foot space with "wall to wall" buds; it could even do the same with a larger grow space, although the reservoir capacity should be scaled up accordingly. Instead of buying bags of soil and/or perlite or another media... the gardener can grab a red Solo cup, drill/melt as many 1/4"-sized holes in it as they can, fill it with some kind of expanded clay media, jam the cup into a hole cut into the center of the reservoir's lid... and done. A 16-ounce or 18-ounce cup full of media and end up with a plant that requires you to go find a saw at harvest time. Even a small 10-liter bag of the stuff will last several years. Only one plant, so no need to mix multiple batches of nutrient solution. Easy enough to learn - and provides enough knowledge in the process - that the method makes for a great 4th-grade science project for the teacher to use as a teaching tool (using a different plant, of course ;) ).. I won't state that it's idiot-proof, because the universe has a remarkable ability to produce some top-shelf idiots, lol - but it's close.

However, that's not the best way to grow cannabis - because, again, there isn't one.

and since she was supposed to be my mentor, I let her convince me. :laughtwo:

As always, her heart was in the right place.

Felonious wanted me to learn how to grow in dirt so that I could help him identify issues that he has when growing in dirt.

Hey, Felonious, use the dirt to fill in holes in the yard, and go DWC - and lose the issues in the process. (Just kidding... sort of.) Oh, and your General Hydroponics stuff works great in DWC (or any other hydroponic setup).

He has plans to try coco coir soon so that might be the next medium I try so that he and I can learn together.

It's okay. If you mean hand-watered, it's just another passive hydroponic method. I suggest he "go active." I cannot say that he'll end up deciding that it's going to be what works best for him, of course. But if he can "figure out how to pour piss out of a boot without having to have the instructions written on its bottom," as they say, it'll work for him, and work well. It's a nice blend of simplicity and... awesome, lol. You don't need to use the size reservoir I mentioned above, of course. I feel that a five-gallon bucket is a bit small, but lots of people use them. If he wants to run multiple strains in the same grow space, reservoirs of five- to ten-gallon capacity (each) would enable him to fill that space.

And, of course, I still have lots of perlite left so I'll probably do hempy a few more times as well.

It never expires or spoils. It's a great soil lightener for soil-grown plants, in the cannabis grow space, for houseplants, in the food garden outdoors, etc. You'll undoubtedly find a use for it, even if you end up deciding that hempy / hand-watered passive hydroponics isn't the way you want to grow cannabis.

Hi HG,

Using the Flora Trio, Late Growth (week 3 and extended veg) provides (full dose):

110 ppm N
23 P
112 K
81 Ca
27 Mg

Early Bloom (weeks 5 and 6) provides (full dose):
71 N
34 P
76 K
65 Ca
31 Mg

Mid-Bloom:
71 N
40 P
86 K

Late Bloom:
65 N
52 P
71 K

At the end of week 1 of flowering (regardless of day, for an Auto), you should probably be using the full Early Bloom dose on their schedule.

I agree with Felipe but I also like to take "baby steps", especially in hydro, and since you've been giving them 1/4 dose early veg, I'd give them 1/2 dose of early bloom and, assuming they take that fine, up it from there. You definitely want to start pushing the nutes, though.

So, just to confirm, you guys are advising that I increase my nutes to half of the Flora Series recommendation for the Early Bloom stage?

That is, the feed-chart shows:
  • 4 ml Micro
  • 1 ml Grow
  • 5 ml Bloom
So, are you saying I should give them:
  • 2 ml Micro
  • .5 ml Grow
  • 2.5 ml Bloom

That the DDA1 would show toxicity at 27N (1/4 LG dose) only confirms that the plant is over-sensitive. Hopefully, 36N (1/2 EB dose) won’t prove too much for it.

So, if DDA1 is showing toxicity at 27N, why would increasing it to 36N be any better?

Good evening.

Yesterday was fertigation day but it didn't happen until around 5:30 p.m. because we had to go out and buy a new pH meter. I told Felonious I wanted a better one and that I would even be willing to pay for it personally if he didn't think "we" could afford it.

But, he concurred and we are now the proud owners of this beauty:

Hanna pH meter.jpg

It was more pricey than the ones I had found on Amazon but as soon as Felonious saw it was red, he said he knew we were going to buy it since red is my favourite colour. :battingeyelashes:

I fertigated the plants at 5.9 pH and DDA1 has gained 1/2 an inch and is now 11.5 inches tall. DDA2 is holding steady at 9 inches.

DDA1:

Photo 1 - DDA1.jpeg

Photo 2 - DDA1.jpeg

Photo 5 - DDA1.jpeg

DDA2:

Photo 6 - DDA2.jpeg

Photo 7 - DDA2.jpeg

Photo 8 - DDA2.jpeg

Photo 9 - DDA2.jpeg

Attachments

• Photo 3 - DDA1.jpeg
    Photo 3 - DDA1.jpeg
    586.4 KB · Views: 28
Good afternoon.

I promised Felipe an update yesterday but I was too tired so I'm posting it today. I hope Felipe will understand. :battingeyelashes:

Both plants are 50 days old now. Both were fertigated yesterday at 5.9 pH. DDA1 is now 12.5" tall and DDA2 is 10.5".

Here are the photos:

DDA1:

Photo 1 - DDA1.jpeg

Photo 2 - DDA1.jpeg

Photo 3 - DDA1.jpeg

Photo 4 - DDA1.jpeg

Photo 5 - DDA1.jpeg

DDA2:

Photo 7 - DDA2.jpeg

Photo 8 - DDA2.jpeg

Photo 9 - DDA2.jpeg

Photo 10 - DDA2.jpeg

Let me know if they look like they need anything.

I'm currently feeding them the Week 6 nutes even though they're 51 days old today. Should I up the nutes to the Week 7 (Mid Bloom) nutes? Mid-Bloom is the same as Early-Bloom except that FloraBloom is now 2.5 ml and in Week 7, it moves up to 3 ml and it stays there for Weeks 7 and 8 and then in Week 9, you're supposed to stop adding FloraGro to the mix.

if it were me i would be using mid bloom schedule for the rest of the week and then cut the floragro on day 57 or some time next week. being 51 days old, technically you are 2 weeks into week 8. they still look like they have a couple weeks to go for sure, but gro nutes really late into the flower cycle seem to really effect the taste according to some folks. i try to not use any grow for like the last 4 weeks of the plants life. so think if these girls are gonna go 90 days youd wanna cut gro by day 62. they dont seem like theyre gonna go 90 days to me.

Beautiful colors! The pistils really stand out! :yummy:

The colours are part of Dark Devil's allure, that and the smoothness of it and the intoxicating high. It was my first love before Carnival, which is my current favourite along with Girl Scout Cookies, both of which I want to grow next. :battingeyelashes:

Thanks for the update! :thanks:

:hug:

if it were me i would be using mid bloom schedule for the rest of the week and then cut the floragro on day 57 or some time next week. being 51 days old, technically you are 2 weeks into week 8. they still look like they have a couple weeks to go for sure, but gro nutes really late into the flower cycle seem to really effect the taste according to some folks. i try to not use any grow for like the last 4 weeks of the plants life. so think if these girls are gonna go 90 days youd wanna cut gro by day 62. they dont seem like theyre gonna go 90 days to me.

[QUOTE="FelipeBlu] I like politoed’s plan.[/QUOTE]

Okay. So, I'm fertigating again tomorrow, which will be day 52. So, just to confirm, so I'm to start mid-bloom, aka week 8 nutes with tomorrow's feeding and then stop the Gro portion altogether by day 57, which according to my records is still only week 8?

[QUOTE="FelipeBlu] I like politoed’s plan.

Okay. So, I'm fertigating again tomorrow, which will be day 52. So, just to confirm, so I'm to start mid-bloom, aka week 8 nutes with tomorrow's feeding and then stop the Gro portion altogether by day 57, which according to my records is still only week 8?
[/QUOTE]

Yep, sounds good. :thumb:

Good evening, folks.

I retired from my job yesterday after 30 years there and the first thing I wanted to do on my first official day of retirement was learn how to grow cannabis. I've been reading about growing hempy for a while now and have lots of great help from the guys on Hempy Headquarters like @FelipeBlu , @Buck5050 , @DrDoob , @CADBOY , @Piña Delores, @bluter and, last but not least, @SweetSue. If I forgot anyone, I apologize in advance.

So, as you can tell from the title, I will be growing 2 Dark Devil Autos in Hempy. I chose hempy because that's Sue's preferred growing medium and she has agreed to mentor me. :battingeyelashes: And, I chose Dark Devil because I :love: it.

Okay, here are the basics:

What strain is it?
Dark_Devil_Info.jpg

Dimensions (L x W x D) of grow space?

3x3 Mars Hydro tent

Mars Hydro 3x3 Tent.jpg

Outside of Tent2.jpg

Powerbar.jpg

Filter Before Hookup to Vent.jpg

Filter After Hook Up to Vent.jpg

Venting2.jpg

Inside Tent.jpg

Medium?

Hempy (100% perlite)

Pots & Sizes?

Currently, the seeds are in 16 ounce plastic cups covered with plastic wrap. When they're ready to move to bigger pots, I will be moving them to two 5L black pots.

Size of light?

Mars Pro II Epistar 320 LED

Is it aircooled?

Yes?

Temp of Room/cab?

It's 73F in the tent but the seeds are in plastic cups about 9" under an LED light.

RH of Room/cab?

What is RH?

PH of media or res?

Type and strength of ferts used?

For the first feeding, I mixed 1/4 teaspoon General Hydroponics FloraGro and 1/4 teaspoon General Hydroponics FloraMicro into 3.79 liters of well water. I then poured out enough of it to fill 2 16-oz plastic cups with it.
Congrats on your retirement! I think RH is relative humidity?? I'm totally new to this as well...my weedbaby is outside

Back
Top Bottom