Haystack Has Cannabisitis And He's Sour About It

I have not posted any update pics in a while, so I'm posting a few pics tonight. Today is the beginning of week three of flower as well and things are coming along great.

I did a lot of cleanup tonight, removing most of the useless lower branches. I also added the SCROG trellis ad well.

The flowers are finally starting to grow! I'm pretty happy with that.

Here is how they look after the cleanup. Looks pretty good to me.

Looking good haystack. You seem to have taken right to DWC. How do you like it so far? The plants look good they seem to like what you're doing.
Thanks Sam. I'm really enjoying growing in DWC it's different and a lot of fun. I'm almost wishing I would have started 4 plants in RDWC. But that will be the next grow.

The things I like most about hydro is the amount of control you have with the nutrients and how fast the plants seem to grow. In the coming weeks I'll find out how the buds grow, but from what I've seen so far, they will be better than what I've done in soil.

The main difference that I noticed with DWC compared to Coco is that the time to start them flowering is a little longer. They sort of have a soft start to flowering rather than the explosion you get when they are in smaller sized pots. WhenI asked the question the theory I got is that there is nothing constraining the roots so rather than the plant filling up the pot with roots and diverting it's growth to the top side everything grows. When they hit their stride everything else is status quo.

Glad you're having fun with it. In the end it is a lot less mess.

@SamSmith
You are definitely right about the slow start to the flower cycle. It took almost 2 weeks before I saw signs of flowering. I'm out of town today, but I have a feeling when I get back, I'll see a noticeable difference in the buds.

Hi all,
It's been a couple of weeks since I have updated this thread. The holidays and work kept me a little too busy to hang out here like I usually do.
But, the plants are doing great. This is the beginning of week 5. I thought it was done stretching, but it's not. They just keep getting taller and taller. The buds are finally filling out as well. I could be wrong, but it seems like they are taking longer to fill out in hydro than what I am used to in soil. At this point it looks like it will be about 10 weeks of flowering till they are done. But Only time will tell. I still continue to defoliate a little, but not as much as previous weeks. So, it looks like the fan leaves are slowing down a bit, which is good. It was taking a lot of time to keep up on trimming.
Here are a few pics of how they look this morning.

They are getting taller for sure

And the buds are really starting to fill out.

They just look so nice looking at them from the tops down.

I also had a friend over this weekend. We setup a 20 ton press and made a little rosin. We used buds from my summer outdoor grow. We started with about 11.5 oz and ended up with about 37 gm of this nice sticky goo. This shit gets you fucked up good!

I'm not sure how much I should be getting out of an oz of flower, so if any of you all do a lot of pressing, I'd like to know how much you get per oz. I'm thinking I should be getting closer to 5 gm per oz, but I'm not sure.

Looks good Haystack. Did you squeeze the buds twice?
I did press twice. But I didn't get much on the second press. The old 6 ton press got a decent amount on the second press, but this new 20 ton press gets just about every thing out on the first press.

Holy crap! That’s a lot a squeezin...I could do 37 grams...pretty sure I’d hit it. :nomo:

That does seem like a rather small return. Lots of factors like, the bud, how you prepared, how you squeezed, what temperature, blah, blah, blah. You’re only getting about 8% (assuming my math is correct). I shoot for over 20% return, but I’m not squeezing close to ounces at a time. I usually just squeeze about 5-10 grams per squeeze x 2...since it’s just for me.

I’d love to come over and take a look at that stuff for ya... :ciao:

P.S. nice grow! I love dwc too.

Holy crap! That’s a lot a squeezin...I could do 37 grams...pretty sure I’d hit it. :nomo:

That does seem like a rather small return. Lots of factors like, the bud, how you prepared, how you squeezed, what temperature, blah, blah, blah. You’re only getting about 8% (assuming my math is correct). I shoot for over 20% return, but I’m not squeezing close to ounces at a time. I usually just squeeze about 5-10 grams per squeeze x 2...since it’s just for me.

I’d love to come over and take a look at that stuff for ya... :ciao:

P.S. nice grow! I love dwc too.
I had a feeling I was a little short on the returns. I didn't do much to prep the buds. I just pulled them out of the mason jars and picked out some of the thicker stalks and removed the larger leaves that were still on the buds. I temp on the press was set to 80 degrees. I'm still kind of experimenting with the temp though. I don;t really know what I'm doing yet. I think the returns on the 6 ton press were a little better the last time I pressed. Unfortunately I didn't document the before and after weight, but it just seems like the return was a little better. The only difference was the 6 tone press and using a temp of 85 degrees.

If I got 20% return that would be great. That would be more than double what I got. So over 70 gr? Wow. On my current grow here, I'll probably be pressing a bunch of it just to see iif it's any better. Keep in mind the stuff I pressed over the weekend was grown outdoor. I don;t know if that makes any difference, but maybe it does.

Lastly, thanks for the feedback. It helps a ton. And feel free to stop by. I have a house full of guys I live with that would love to meet you. Well, maybe not a house full. There's only four of us. But we all get stoned on a pretty regular basis

Thanks Sam, but me and @Grandpa Tokin are just a couple of old stoners and mostly full of bullshit.
:rofl: I'm an old stoner too. I know how to grow and I know how to smoke. But I know nothing about pressing or any other kind of concentrates. Even hydro is new to me. 99% of my grows have all been outdoor grows. It wasn;t until last year that I started trying out indoor tents and lights. I love it though.

It takes some experimentation with temps and times with each batch, especially if your plates and heaters are diy home built like mine. With mine, I’m smashing at about 105c (220 F). Try more heat next time. You’ll find that sweet spot.
wow, 105? That's a lot. Is your stuff really dark? I lowered the temp down to 80 just to try and give it a little lighter color.

Back
Top Bottom