Help please - Interior leaves discoloring

Canobud

I could use some quick help here. This widow strain is in Ocean Forest/perlite and has been watered with spring water thus far. First feeding was last Thursday using 1/4th strength Big Bloom and Grow Big. Monday I noticed some lighter leaves on the interior of the plant, some with some discoloration. At first I thought it's just because they get absolutely no light in there (this plant is very thick and dense.) Now I wonder if this is the beginnings of nutrient deficiencies, despite the first light feeding four days ago. I watered Monday with straight spring water, so they're good on water for a few days now. Any thoughts? Would really love to get an early jump on potential problems. Should I feed again with 1/2 strength Big Bloom and Grow Big? Or should I use something else for this issue? I have some 8-8-8 Nelson's non-burning Grow Best liquid plant food at my disposal, if that would be better here. I'm nearing day 60 and had planned to flip to flowering light schedule this weekend. HELP!

Here is the entire plant, for reference:

IMG_284516.jpg

And then the interior leaves:

IMG_284717.jpg

IMG_284311.jpg

IMG_284816.jpg

That a beautiful looking plant brother!

I wouldn't change a thing. That mild discoloration is probably due to the fact that you have really tight nodes and a dense canopy, so they aren't receiving much light, and therefore are not photosynthesizing as well.

You say 1/4th strength of BB and GB, was that .25 tsp/gallon?

If it were me: I would do a minor defoliation before switching to flower. it will help open up the lower nodes and get some more light down there. I would also through in .25tsp/gal of Tiger Bloom right before switching to flower if you are using the FF trio, or Open Sesame if you are using the advanced line.

That plant does not need additional nute's. It looks to be thriving.
I think the light color is probably due to the dense leaf growth. You obviously have plenty of 'N' going on. Personally I would remove some of those internal leaves. They aren't getting enough light or air movement to help the plant, IMO. They could provide a home for mold, PM or pests. Let the plant put its energy into the parts that will yield.

That a beautiful looking plant brother!

I wouldn't change a thing. That mild discoloration is probably due to the fact that you have really tight nodes and a dense canopy, so they aren't receiving much light, and therefore are not photosynthesizing as well.

You say 1/4th strength of BB and GB, was that .25 tsp/gallon?

If it were me: I would do a minor defoliation before switching to flower. it will help open up the lower nodes and get some more light down there. I would also through in .25tsp/gal of Tiger Bloom right before switching to flower if you are using the FF trio, or Open Sesame if you are using the advanced line.

Well looks who back, UltraDan! :thumb:

Thanks guys, I feel a bit better now. I actually did some light defoliation this morning, mainly a few of those leaves that were literally laying on the soil. This plant is so bushy it's actually a challenge to water it properly in the 3 gallon smart pot with those leaves down there. I will snip some of those internal leaves that are discolored as well. Those are so well hidden under the canopy that I have to spread the canopy apart to see any of them. Initially I'd planned to try and make a hole in the canopy to get some additional bud sites out of those internal leaves but I'd probably have to whack some important fan leaves in the canopy to do it. This is my first grow and with switching to flower schedule in ~5 days I think I'll be satisfied focusing on the bud sites I have. My LEDs are now at 18" above the canopy.

Although one of you suggested no nutes, and the other suggested adding Tiger Bloom just before flowering...hmm. UltraDan - the FF schedule suggested 6tsp Big Bloom and 3tsp Grow Big; I used 1.5tsp and 0.75tsp/gallon, respectively.

I appreciate all the help, gents. It's been a fun ride thus far trying to learn this plant.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

To be clear, I didn't say "no nutes". I said no additional nutes (as in going from 1/4 strength to 1/2 strength).

To be clear, I didn't say "no nutes". I said no additional nutes (as in going from 1/4 strength to 1/2 strength).

Ahh! Thank you for that! Ok then...perhaps I'll stick with 1/4-strength big bloom and grow big this week and add in 1/4 strength tiger bloom before switching to flower this weekend.

I've been using the gas light routine through veg. Any opinions on a dark period before flower? Or should I just delete that one hour lights-on period in the middle of the night and go straight to 12/12?

Either one works.

Shes a fine looking widow my friend, my widows leaves started doing that to, its the lack of light getting though. Ive gone and lollipoped the lower part of the stems before I flipped her, makes watering so much easier as well

Although one of you suggested no nutes, and the other suggested adding Tiger Bloom just before flowering...hmm. UltraDan - the FF schedule suggested 6tsp Big Bloom and 3tsp Grow Big; I used 1.5tsp and 0.75tsp/gallon, respectively.

Everyone has their own preference regarding nutes and feeding. I like to feed a little heavier and back it off if needed. Especially right before flower.

i have some of the same discoloring on my lower leaves , i think from splashing a little of the water nutrient mix that burns them some.. maybe ?? but yes man, very healthy happy plant there

Back
Top Bottom