Hempy Headquarters

what do you mean by lift technique? I don’t know that I’ve read a way to check what’s left in the reservoir.
Another way I found worked for me was to know how much my container held before I put the media and plant into it. I just dump straight water into the container until it drain out. Than poured what was remaining in the hempy container into a measuring cup. I know it gets kind of technical but it does work. That is a good starting point for sure. Once you get growing you'll fine tune the amounts because the plant eats more at certain stages. And, you'll get a feel for how the watering action develops.

Another way I found worked for me was to know how much my container held before I put the media and plant into it. I just dump straight water into the container until it drain out. Than poured what was remaining in the hempy container into a measuring cup. I know it gets kind of technical but it does work. That is a good starting point for sure. Once you get growing you'll fine tune the amounts because the plant eats more at certain stages. And, you'll get a feel for how the watering action develops.

Were there any crazy ideas people came up with over the years for checking the rez?

No doubt, there have been many.
Remember... we're talking about a simple hydro res here. Methods other hydro grower's use work here as well.
The most effective method I've seen is the simple exterior clear tube.
Here's one...
full

That person put some tape on the sides to keep the light out some, but you can still view the plastic tube and see the water level very easily.

I would try to resist the temptation to make hempy more complicated.
:hippy:

As a general rule of thumb, you would be safe if you fertigated no less than every 2 days during veg, and every day during flowering. This kinda depends on the size of your reservoir - my experience is with a hole 2” above the bottom of a 2 gallon DS bucket.

Of course, watch your plants, and increase the frequency as needed.
:headbanger:

Are you sold on a scrog? Have you considered Quadlining?
I'm not sold on anything, more information the better. I'm trying to find whatever methods will make things easier for me. Scrog sounds like it would be more challenging with hempy because it might not be possible to lift check.

I was reading about mainlining + , I think that is the same thing, Nebula's Manifold - Cannabis "Main-Lining" | Grow Weed Easy. It discouraged the technique for sativas or plants that really like to stretch which is why I was looking into scrog + hempy instead of mainlining
I would try to resist the temptation to make hempy more complicated.
:hippy:

As a general rule of thumb, you would be safe if you fertigated no less than every 2 days during veg, and every day during flowering. This kinda depends on the size of your reservoir - my experience is with a hole 2” above the bottom of a 2 gallon DS bucket.

Of course, watch your plants, and increase the frequency as needed.
:headbanger:

I'm with you 100% man, I just want it to be easy and avoid problems. I am going to go with the Quadlining lift check instead of scrog and complicating things for myself on my first grow.

No doubt, there have been many.
Remember... we're talking about a simple hydro res here. Methods other hydro grower's use work here as well.
The most effective method I've seen is the simple exterior clear tube.
Here's one...
full

That person put some tape on the sides to keep the light out some, but you can still view the plastic tube and see the water level very easily.
This is interesting, thanks Tead, what about treating it like an oil check if the plant is really encumbered. Insert something down the side pull it out and look at the level indicator.

IMG_20190529_171842.jpg

The stuff on the right is from the Depot. Not sure the size. They both work alone or together.

Which perlite would you recommend I start my seedling in? I was going to use a humidity dome + perlite + rapid-rooter to germinate and once I get my first finger leaves I would remove the dome and transplant to it's final container.

Would it be weird to keep a hygrometer in the humidity dome?

EDIT: please poke holes in this strategy if it is a bad one

Which perlite would you recommend I start my seedling in? I was going to use a humidity dome + perlite + rapid-rooter to germinate and once I get my first finger leaves I would remove the dome and transplant to it's final container.

Would it be weird to keep a hygrometer in the humidity dome?

EDIT: please poke holes in this strategy if it is a bad one
nurse them up in a rapid rooter

Which brand do you use for #4? Thank you for this

I found this at my local grow store for $25. I was so astounded at the price that I bought 2 bags. It’s very easy to recycle though, so I haven’t opened the second bag yet.

EAF8EBAB-03B2-4FC2-9C00-B171540339EE.png

BD4A073A-9213-4BEA-B3D1-70656A42D1E4.jpeg

C70A7B4E-1F72-4E18-98D4-56D2F317537F.jpeg

this is helpful thank you, that is the brand I was planning to get, corse version for seedling and the #4 for the 5 gal.

You will love it!

To recycle, I knock loose as much as I can from the roots, rinse on a 1/4” sieve - pick out most remaining roots, put into boiling water for 2-3 minutes, cool, reuse.

Wow this is quite some thread going on here, I've skimmed through all of it over the last 5 days, and you've all got me sold, Hempy here I come :D

It's funny really. I drowned my first attempt at growing, my second attempt was a success thanks to setting up a SWICK. I dropped the SWICK a few grows ago, and have been attempting plain soil ever since, with mixed success.

I've been searching for another way to grow, and found myself here. Re-usable medium, no more trying to pH (as long as Advanced Nutrients do their job), light and easy to move. Thanks @SweetSue, twice, ;).

The wife's not so happy about having perlite about again, but I'm getting No4, the big stuff. Won't be a problem, right? ;)

So I'm waiting for an order to arrive, nutes and perlite :), I've got some small cup size pots and I'll be go go go.

The only downside is I have 2x, 1 week old Auto seedlings in soil that I need to transplant, not ideal, but in for a penny and all that. If they fail I have more seeds and I'll have learnt something I'm sure.

Thank for all the info in here people, some lovely looking plants. Keep 'em green

:Namaste:

May I be the first to welcome you to Hempy!
:high-five:

Transplanting from soil in a solo cup to a coarse perlite hempy should be fine. Don’t try to get the roots out of the dirt - they will get damaged. Just let it get a bit pot-bound so there isn’t too much loose crumbly dirt.

Edit: Oh hey, I just checked out your new 2020 journal - I didn’t realize that you started some Autos in little peat thingies. In this case, don’t let them get pot-bound - they might stunt. Instead, put them in the top of the moist perlite as soon as you see roots.
:passitleft:

Cheers for the welcome @FelipeBlu

Edit: Oh hey, I just checked out your new 2020 journal - I didn’t realize that you started some Autos in little peat thingies. In this case, don’t let them get pot-bound - they might stunt. Instead, put them in the top of the moist perlite as soon as you see roots.
:passitleft:
I noticed you were about, and just popped back to ask that very question cheers

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom