Hempy Headquarters

The wife's not so happy about having perlite about again, but I'm getting No4, the big stuff. Won't be a problem, right?

I feel that the big #4 perlite is too big. I think the spaces between the chunks are too big to wick water efficiently and that the smaller perlite gives just the right air spaces between the bits to allow for better water motility. I found that the bigger chunky stuff is great when mixed about 1/2 and 1/2 with the small stuff to fill in the gaps between the big chunks.

2 cents delivered.

I found that the bigger chunky stuff is great when mixed about 1/2 and 1/2 with the small stuff to fill in the gaps between the big chunks.

2 cents delivered.

Not a bad tip. Last summer, I found the #4 perlite would wick up sufficiently high in 5 gallon buckets. However, I would usually transplant deep into the perlite - so that the bottom of the roots was not very far (<6”) from the reservoir, and the buried stem would also send out roots (like burying a tomato stem). You can see the perlite is pretty encased up to the surface in this photo.

425493BD-6579-4CDE-8EBA-2B4185E1F22D.jpeg

It was actually the bottom that only had a few thick roots going through it. I think I could have gone with a 2 gallon bucket on this plant.

Tead with your fine collection of perlite I'll take your word as gospel ;), and a mix of large and small perlite makes perfect sense to me.

The No.4 perlite "not being a problem" was more a story for the Mrs. She was not chuffed at the idea of having perlite in our lives again. Got a bit messy with the SWICK's, the larger No 4 stuff won't blow around as easy will it ;) .

Secretly I ordered a bag of each :p

:Namaste:

Not a bad tip. Last summer, I found the #4 perlite would wick up sufficiently high in 5 gallon buckets. However, I would usually transplant deep into the perlite - so that the bottom of the roots was not very far (<6”) from the reservoir, and the buried stem would also send out roots (like burying a tomato stem). You can see the perlite is pretty encased up to the surface in this photo.

425493BD-6579-4CDE-8EBA-2B4185E1F22D.jpeg

It was actually the bottom that only had a few thick roots going through it. I think I could have gone with a 2 gallon bucket on this plant.

Did you transplant from a solo cup to another container then waited until roots hit the bottom then moved into the 5 gal with roots 6 inches from the bottom of the reservoir?

Did you transplant from a solo cup to another container then waited until roots hit the bottom then moved into the 5 gal with roots 6 inches from the bottom of the reservoir?

No, directly from solo cup to 5 gallons.

CD20B56D-7E09-4A8A-A51A-4ABB91536F2A.jpeg

If this hadn’t been a reveg of a solo cup 12/12 from seed, which got potted up to 5 gallons in late July, it probably would have filled the 5 gallon bucket with roots. But it started flowering only a month later.
31C72F4F-6FF3-4EC6-A6D9-105D8E8470F6.jpeg

has anyone gone mental and companion planted in an outdoor hempy?
I would have thought a companion plant in a Hempy would just compete for nutes, but I'd also be interested to know if anyone has.

I'm thinking of growing some insect repelling plants around my grow this summer, but I wasn't going to do them in Hempys.

has anyone gone mental and companion planted in an outdoor hempy?

I have rosemary and basil planted adjacent - both are very good repelling a number of pests, like thrips, mites, and aphids.

So my Hempy adventure has started, got them rolling last Wednesday

IMGP1062.JPG

and gave them they're second feed today.

IMGP1089.JPG

I'm impressed for 4 days. I thought the up potting would stunt them a little, but it seems not.

I'm using Advanced Nutrients base range, Bloom, Micro, Grow and Sensi Cal-Mag Xtra. Hoping the pH perfect they rave on about works.

Any of their other products worth while? Their schedule suggests B-52, Big Bud, and Overdrive. Worthwhile or gimmick?

Cheers for the help

Are you sold on a scrog? Have you considered Quadlining?

Or a SOG:

I'm thinking of growing some insect repelling plants around my grow this summer, but I wasn't going to do them in Hempys.

Some kind of marigold that has a relatively high pyrethrum level? If so, I might plant that directly in the container with the cannabis plant. Seems like I once read or heard that it can "exit" via the root system. I could be misremembering, though. I'm pretty crispy around the edges ;) .

If you have rabbit-flavored varmints, border your garden with a six-inch spacing of onions. I'm told they don't like it - and you can grill the onions with the rabbit.

If you have rabbit-flavored varmints, border your garden with a six-inch spacing of onions. I'm told they don't like it - and you can grill the onions with the rabbit.

Any rabbit-flavoured varmints would have been hunted to extinction long ago in my garden.

I love rabbit :)

@Chris Scorpio @FelipeBlu
SOG 12 plants, 6 x 6. Was thinking 2 1/2 gallon hempy pots or should I go smaller or go up to 3 1/2 gallon pots?

depends on available area and veg time.
hempys support a larger plant vs pot size over soil. akin to coco. get a straight hempy grow in first to see if you haven't already. you can top and train any way you choose in hempy.

just some clones and simple training.

Back
Top Bottom