Hippie 66 First Indoor Attempt

Thank you Musgand, the damn drop trays don't let them get much closer than they are. That said, i will see what I can do. The light is about 22" above right now, don't want to get much closer than that I don't think.
As for the cable sleeve, I'm not sure I know what you mean. I think everything is tied up. I'll look back at some pics to see what you mean tho. Thanks again. Please hang around.

Sent from my XT1064 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

As for the cable sleeve, I'm not sure I know what you mean. I think everything is tied up. I'll look back at some pics to see what you mean tho. Thanks again. Please hang around.

I see it and it has been closed. Upper left corner​ correct? That was right after I moved and set it back up.

420-magazine-mobile808466681.jpg

Nine days​ after transplanting to the new pots, the roots have reached the bottom and are poking thru. Much faster than expected. I had no intention of transferring them again. May have to rethink that now.

Nine days​ after transplanting to the new pots, the roots have reached the bottom and are poking thru. Much faster than expected. I had no intention of transferring them again. May have to rethink that now.

Roots from plants grown from seed will hit the bottom of the pot quickly then spread out. How big are the new pots?

As a rule of thumb I usually wait until I have to water a plant every 2-1 days before I feel the need to transfer it. If your growing with coco you can judge it by how dry the coco is between watering. Work with what is comfortable with you :thumb:

Roots from plants grown from seed will hit the bottom of the pot quickly then spread out. How big are the new pots?

As a rule of thumb I usually wait until I have to water a plant every 2-1 days before I feel the need to transfer it. If your growing with coco you can judge it by how dry the coco is between watering. Work with what is comfortable with you :thumb:
They are 3 gallon pots with Happy Frog soil. Giving a quart of water every 5 days, then pouring any runoff from the trays back into the pots the next day. ( Is that not a good thing? Been 2nd guessing that move)

420-magazine-mobile815443366.jpg

Been doing a lot of defoliation the last few days in an effort to expose the lower growth. I think I am done for now. Going to water this evening or tomorrow morning depending upon how they look later. Still no nutes as everytime I water I seem to show the slightest burn on my leaf tips. The soil I'm assuming is a touch hot yet. If I can get them to accept water without burning, then I will introduce the slightest dose next time around. Today is five weeks above ground.

One thing I have yet to decide on is a nutrient regimen. I am leaning toward advance iguana juice grow/bloom. I am hoping that @Versais will weigh in on this as it is his choice and his journals are where I became aware of this product. I have used advance big Bud and Bud candy outdoors during flowering, but IJ is something I am curious about.

I decided to go with botanicare PBP grow, liquid karma, and calmag for veg, with PBP bloom for flowering. At almost two weeks they got a 1/3 recommended dosage today.

Looks like I saw showed up late, but I'd still recommend Iguana Juice. It was recommended to me as a noob-friendly organic option because it's hard to burn your plants with it. I think the organic nutes are not immediately available and take longer to be broken down and then taken up by the plant, so maybe that's why it's less likely to burn.

Botanicare organic line may work the same.

Looks like I saw showed up late, but I'd still recommend Iguana Juice. It was recommended to me as a noob-friendly organic option because it's hard to burn your plants with it. I think the organic nutes are not immediately available and take longer to be broken down and then taken up by the plant, so maybe that's why it's less likely to burn.

Botanicare organic line may work the same.
Iguana juice was discontinued. I tried to find it though

There's still 7 in stock on Amazon! But yea, better to move on to something else then.
Yup
Didn't want to risk it. My local hydro shop had grow, but couldn't get bloom.(or vice versa). They told me straight that they were not able to get it.

420-magazine-mobile814037532.jpg

Ok. So today is six weeks, and things are really moving now. Doing a lot of lst, and they all got the slightest dose of nutes yesterday. Still watering every five days, one quart each with no signs of being stressed for water, so hopefully I won't need to uppot after all. Still hoping to veg til 4-30, but who knows at this point. Maybe a bit sooner. Only time will tell. Til next time!

Do you have a TDS meter Hippie? I'm on my 7th grow now and just got one, but the difference it has made in just a few days makes me wish I got one all the way for my first grow. Found my vegging plants, same size as yours, were being overfed as the runoff ppm was 1200-1500. Plants this size only need maybe 600-800 ppm. I flushed my plants with 10 minutes of tap water each (down to 800 ppm) and 1 day later the difference was HUGE! Having the correct ppm concentrations in the water helps the plant drink properly, and that huge flush I did really saturated the root zone with water. The plants went from dark green to lime green and almost doubled in size overnight.

Just mentioning my results because your ladies seem a little dark green and slow-growing. I'm sure you'll be flowering by 4/30 either way, but you may be surprised if you measure your soil runoff ppm. I know I was. I also got a reverse osmosis machine so I can start using pure water and feed with only the exact diluted amount of nutrients I need. But I haven't even gotten that far yet; just measured ppm with the meter and flushed and woooahh, totally worth it already.

Keep training those longer / taller branches out laterally to keep that nice flat canopy going. Can even top the tallest branches if you want to give the others a chance to catch up. Can also defoliate any large fan leaves that are blocking new growth shoots. Since you're feeding all the nutrients she needs she really won't miss a few leaves if you're tactical about it.

Looking good!

Do you have a TDS meter Hippie? I'm on my 7th grow now and just got one, but the difference it has made in just a few days makes me wish I got one all the way for my first grow. Found my vegging plants, same size as yours, were being overfed as the runoff ppm was 1200-1500. Plants this size only need maybe 600-800 ppm. I flushed my plants with 10 minutes of tap water each (down to 800 ppm) and 1 day later the difference was HUGE! Having the correct ppm concentrations in the water helps the plant drink properly, and that huge flush I did really saturated the root zone with water. The plants went from dark green to lime green and almost doubled in size overnight.

Just mentioning my results because your ladies seem a little dark green and slow-growing. I'm sure you'll be flowering by 4/30 either way, but you may be surprised if you measure your soil runoff ppm. I know I was. I also got a reverse osmosis machine so I can start using pure water and feed with only the exact diluted amount of nutrients I need. But I haven't even gotten that far yet; just measured ppm with the meter and flushed and woooahh, totally worth it already.

Keep training those longer / taller branches out laterally to keep that nice flat canopy going. Can even top the tallest branches if you want to give the others a chance to catch up. Can also defoliate any large fan leaves that are blocking new growth shoots. Since you're feeding all the nutrients she needs she really won't miss a few leaves if you're tactical about it.

Looking good!
Buddy, that's all foreign to me. TDS meter, ppm? I have never checked my runoff as there is very little to speak of. Plants suck it right up

You're doing just fine without worrying about it. But I avoided learning about it for too long because it sounded complicated. Now I'm kicking myself because such a simple variable makes a big difference. But I don't see any signs of nute burn on your ladies so you might be just fine. It's just worth knowing in my opinion.

TDS = Total Dissolved Solids, which is measured in PPM (particles per million). Distilled water and Reverse Osmosis water have 0 PPM and are considered pure. Tap water and well water can have over 1000 PPM of dissolved solids just from the natural minerals, pollution, and city treatment additives. Usually it's only a few hundred PPM in the water, but overtime these base unknown particles can build up in the root zone and throw off soil PH and plant health. If you feed too many nutrients at a time, your PPM will rise in the soil and change the pressure of the water, making it difficult for the roots to take up the water and nutrients. Instead of transpiring properly, the plant will take water from its foliage to send back down to the root zone in attempts to dilute the concentrations. When this happens the leaf tips are the first to change color and dry up from the lack of water caused by built-up nutrients. It also stunts growth in general.

TDS meters are about $20 but the value of knowing the runoff PPM and the feeding water's PPM is going to be worth a lot more. I also meant to suggest you water your plants with more than 1 quart at a time. I bet they could handle a half gallon each, or more if you dunk them in a bucket and let the pot become completely saturated.

You're doing just fine without worrying about it. But I avoided learning about it for too long because it sounded complicated. Now I'm kicking myself because such a simple variable makes a big difference. But I don't see any signs of nute burn on your ladies so you might be just fine. It's just worth knowing in my opinion.

TDS = Total Dissolved Solids, which is measured in PPM (particles per million). Distilled water and Reverse Osmosis water have 0 PPM and are considered pure. Tap water and well water can have over 1000 PPM of dissolved solids just from the natural minerals, pollution, and city treatment additives. Usually it's only a few hundred PPM in the water, but overtime these base unknown particles can build up in the root zone and throw off soil PH and plant health. If you feed too many nutrients at a time, your PPM will rise in the soil and change the pressure of the water, making it difficult for the roots to take up the water and nutrients. Instead of transpiring properly, the plant will take water from its foliage to send back down to the root zone in attempts to dilute the concentrations. When this happens the leaf tips are the first to change color and dry up from the lack of water caused by built-up nutrients. It also stunts growth in general.

TDS meters are about $20 but the value of knowing the runoff PPM and the feeding water's PPM is going to be worth a lot more. I also meant to suggest you water your plants with more than 1 quart at a time. I bet they could handle a half gallon each, or more if you dunk them in a bucket and let the pot become completely saturated.
That's a lot of water considering that they aren't asking for it. I will look into a TDS meter at the local shop. My water source is a well. pH out of the tap is around 9. Yesterday was the first time that I added any nutes since transplant. They just haven't asked for it. The growth in the last week is impressive to me

Back
Top Bottom