Hydro RDWC - Dr. Krippling's Puff Puff Passout - Advanced LED 350 XML

Update time.

Well the girls look very nice overall. The buds have started swelling up nicely. Not every top has started but more and more get going every day. The more dominate tops started swelling early last week and now about ~85% are swelling. I am not sure if this means I will have a smaller than expected yield or that these plants want to go longer. I will be keeping an eye on them and just let them do their thing.

I checked trics and they are ~90% clear with the remainder cloudy. So there is a long way to go judging by that. Plus as I said the buds are still swelling up. On one hand I am very excited about that, and the other I am wondering why these are taking a bit longer than last grow. Part of me thinks that I screwed up my last harvest by chopping way too early. It was my first time and I know that I was over thinking every thing. Part of me thinks that the colder temps of this grow are slowing down the development of the buds. Then there is the def issues that I had last month. Plus doing 2 defols in flower. So many things to consider. It makes it feel like I am growing for the first time again.

Well, nothing to it but to finish and weigh it and see where I land. It does look like there is at least a 1kilogram of bud in the tent. I am absolutely sure of that. The size of the nugs and the amount of them gives me confidence to say that. The fact that they are getting bigger right now gives me hope that there will be a good bit more than that, but I know that I am only drawing ~960 watts. There are so many great growers on this site that do not get over 1gr/w, that it makes me doubt that I will be able to overcome that. We will def know in 4 weeks. One way or the other. i will just stay positive and keep on keeping on. :) lol

Ok, I did a res dump on thursday, I also at that time added cal/mag and bloom a/b. On Friday I added in all the supplements. This got my PPMs up to 810. Last night, my PPM was at 660, but I did add another 5 gallons of water (the girls drink a lot still). I will check everything when lights come on in thirty minutes. I plan on nuting them up to 800 - 850 ppm. I def do not want them to go hungry this week as I am hoping for some epic swelling and developing. :)

Here are a couple of pics. They are not great, I apologize for that. I will take some more this morning if there is something cool to see. Thanks for stopping by and have a great week everyone.
2016-02-13_22_23_44.jpg
2016-02-13_22_23_52.jpg
2016-02-13_22_24_03.jpg

Thanks LA! I know there is still some more time for sure. I am curious as too what your experience has been. After the buds stop swelling, how long do you wait to harvest them? I know that during the swelling, they are still a bit airy and you have to let them get solid. What I dont know or have experience doing, is judging when they are solid and should be harvested. Is it purely looking at cystals? Or is there a couple of other factors that go into it? I have read more than one opinion that it is believed that by harvesting even one week early can adversely affect your yield by 20% or more. So I am trying to really get my head around the concept of how to judge a chop.

If anyone has an opinion on this, please let me know. Thanks LA and have a great week. :)

OK I'm lucky to have an awesome scope so go by trich colour to get the most precise judgement on what buzz I want off each strain. That said I don't use it much apart for cool close up pics. I like to just go by eye and have for an age. Understand I'm an odd one and will go without measuring anything if I can. To me the more I'm just winging it by experienced judgement, the more I feel entwined in my grow and therefore get a better understanding of my plants!
So when going by eye I also use things like how much water they're taking on. Combining all the info you have gives best picture. So if water uptake is stalling and all calyxs are swelled with all or most hairs turned orange and wilted, then your getting in the right place! Yet then leave em another week :)

Now for autos I'm a firm believer in run em till they look dead!! As you will know your roughly coming to an end by simply knowing the lifespan etc then you would be on just water for the last cpl of weeks. At this point an auto should tell you when she is ready, she should look like death itself lol. This is when I harvest autos :)

OK I'm lucky to have an awesome scope so go by trich colour to get the most precise judgement on what buzz I want off each strain. That said I don't use it much apart for cool close up pics. I like to just go by eye and have for an age. Understand I'm an odd one and will go without measuring anything if I can. To me the more I'm just winging it by experienced judgement, the more I feel entwined in my grow and therefore get a better understanding of my plants!
So when going by eye I also use things like how much water they're taking on. Combining all the info you have gives best picture. So if water uptake is stalling and all calyxs are swelled with all or most hairs turned orange and wilted, then your getting in the right place! Yet then leave em another week :)

Now for autos I'm a firm believer in run em till they look dead!! As you will know your roughly coming to an end by simply knowing the lifespan etc then you would be on just water for the last cpl of weeks. At this point an auto should tell you when she is ready, she should look like death itself lol. This is when I harvest autos :)

I have zero experience compared to LA but the last plant i just harvested I flushed a solid two weeks and it turned yellow like a fall time tree... GOOD flush. So by doing so the plant was a tiny plant and the last week of flush visually didnt change alot but it was getting dense in the middle of the bush and nugs. Took forever to trim such a small thing cause it was so crystalized and dense nugs. No evidence but the "feel" was that the plant finished impressively strong. (it was beat up all in flower). Weights will determine some stuff but the looks of the harvest it outdid some of my others. I attribute it to the flush to let it pull from the leaves... my thinking.. What ever it needed was what it was pulling from them..So that last two weeks it was eating exactly what it wanted or needed. I let it go maybe 2 days too long but it just made it look uglier as far as I can tell... It made me lean towards utilizing a long flush going forward.

Got lost there... So yes my answer is the last week is important in yield as well as tric's so you need to decide wether to follow the tric's and harvest based off that. Or harvest based off it appearing finished... That currently is what method I am using. I just knew the TW was done for me... The plant told me in many ways... Testing, results may determine if i stick with this method in the future... Visually I like the look of the harvest for sure.

Just some random newbie thoughts from the far east...

FE

Update time

I know I just did an update, but I wanted to put this down as well. I had super low pH yesterday. I do not know why. My PPM went down to 746 and my pH went to 5. So I told my self, "self, do a flush tomorrow." I did not do a flush today because my PPM was at 730 and my pH was 5.7. So I decided not to do it. The buds are growing still very nicely. I am feeling a bit better about how they are swelling up. I was a little concerned over the weekend. But after looking at pics from 15 days ago and looking at them now, It is easy to see they are getting much bigger. It is just a day by day comparison that you lose perspective on how much it is growing.

I appreciate FE and LA for giving their opinions. You guys are awesome. I do like having other people to bounce my thoughts off of. Plus you guys have been through what I am going through so that gives me confidence. Thanks again.

Here are some pics of the grow as it is right now. Temps have gotten a bit warmer so it is much easier to keep them consistent. My res temps are now not dropping into the 50's anymore and I think that helps with how much water and nutes the plants are able to take. Anyway, here are the pics.
2016-02-15_14_32_02.jpg
2016-02-15_14_32_14.jpg
2016-02-15_14_32_23.jpg
2016-02-15_14_32_33.jpg
2016-02-15_14_32_44.jpg
2016-02-15_14_32_57.jpg
2016-02-15_14_33_05.jpg

The last two pics I was trying to show the whole grow so to speak. I know there are some ugly leaves. I am considering pulling them but have not because it has not been 20 days since the last defol. Anyway, these girls are on death watch now. lol :) By that I mean I am keeping my eye on the trichs and the look of the flowers. I will monitor the res as always, but am really trying to judge a time to start the flush. I am in week 8 now. Friday will mark the end of week 8. I am pretty sure I will go another week after that to get to week 9. But I am flexible. If the trichs or the buds start to scream at me that they are done, I will flush earlier. :)

I am going to try to stick to the 9 week schedule that I planned for, however I also like being able to change my mind. lol have a good week everyone and thanks for stopping by. :)

Looks great man. What day flowering are you on? Also, can you share some pics right before/after the led lights turn on/off? Would love to see the natural coloring.

What's your grow space size? 3'x3'? That looks like it will be about 9-11oz dry. I'm at day 32 flowering with my girls. This round is growing super bushy, and I got 5 plants crammed into a 3x3 space. So I tried some defoliation this past weekend to open up the lower budding sites to light. I have already started seeing and explosion in bud.

Looks great man. What day flowering are you on? Also, can you share some pics right before/after the led lights turn on/off? Would love to see the natural coloring.

What's your grow space size? 3'x3'? That looks like it will be about 9-11oz dry. I'm at day 32 flowering with my girls. This round is growing super bushy, and I got 5 plants crammed into a 3x3 space. So I tried some defoliation this past weekend to open up the lower budding sites to light. I have already started seeing and explosion in bud.

Hey steppastyle! Thanks for the complements. I am on day 55 of flower. I will try to get some natural light pics later. My tent is a 4 x 8 x 7. If that only comes out to 9 - 11 oz I will burn the damn system to the ground! lol. These are 8 plants, I have 2 rows of 4 five gallon buckets. It is all connected together with two different hose lines. One is the supply line that feeds water to the buckets, the other is the return line that feeds into the res. It is a RDWC system. I really hope they bud up nice for you after that defoliation. I noticed a lot of growth but now my canopy is pretty closed up again. I am almost done with this grow though, so I do not plan on taking another defoliation. I will probably start the flush this weekend.

I thought that I would have another week left, but the plants are starting to finish. All of the buds are swelling up now and there are fewer and fewer white pistils. I checked the crystals last night, and they are about 50/50 clear/cloudy. That is a big change from a couple of days ago. They were mostly clear then. I also only had to fill up my res with 2 gallons of water instead of 5 this morning. So all the signs are pointing to a finish in about 10 days. I am thinking that I can start the flush on Sunday, and let that go for few days until they finish. I will say that the swelling over the last 5 days has been truly impressive. It is still too early for me to predict a dry weight, but I am hoping for a strong showing. Last grow I got just shy of a kilo. So this would be a success at 1.5 kilo. I just have to be patient and let the plant do it's thing. :) It is getting harder and harder not to get in there and start chopping. lol. Oh, almost forgot, the stink on these girls has gotten a lot stronger in the last 4 - 5 days. This morning when I opened the tent it was immediately like slapping my nose. lol

Ok kinda an update,

Step asked me to take some pics in natural light. So I did. I know my camera work sucks, thats ok because I am not a photographer. lol :) Attached are the pics. I tried to take them in 2 x 4 sections. The last two pics are of two different colas. The first one looks like it has 2 weeks left to go, and the second looks like it is past time to chop. That is the story of the grow at this time. When I look at about 40% of them I think, 2 more weeks. When I look at the rest I think chop this weekend. LOL. I am very confused at the moment.

I really think I will start the flush on Friday now. Let that go for a couple of days and see what happens. I just checked my res to compare to last nights readings. Last night they were at 1000 PPM and a 5.9 pH. Today they are at 974 PPM and a 5.8 pH. I do not know why they pretty much stopped eating. I am getting a feeling that these girls are done. That is why I moved up the flush date.

Here are the pics. Enjoy and let me know what you guys think. :)
2016-02-17_20_28_28.jpg
2016-02-17_20_28_52.jpg
2016-02-17_20_28_59.jpg
2016-02-17_20_29_07.jpg
2016-02-17_20_29_34.jpg
2016-02-17_20_29_45.jpg

Ok so I started chopping today. I checked my res and looked in on the girls this afternoon. The ones that look pretty close to done looked even more so. I took out my scope and checked the trichs and they were mostly cloudy with about 15 -20% amber. That is really fast how they are turning on me. I did not do one massive chop like I did last time. I am doing a plant at a time and only chopping what I think will take me a little while to trim and then going back to get more. I did a res dump and filled it with RO water. So the flush is started and the last plants I take will be the ones that look like they need a few more days. So most of the plants will get a flush, but the first couple of plants will not get much of one. I will be chopping and trimming for a few days. lol :)

I did a quick wet weigh of the nugs I trimmed. It came in at 41.2 grams. So should be around 10 grams dry. I took a pick of the little bowl I put trimmed nugs in as I am trimming and a pic of the plant that I had pulled these guys from. I hope that it can give you a sense of the size of what I am working with here. lol. :) Enjoy the pics.
2016-02-18_16_52_35.jpg
2016-02-18_16_52_58.jpg

Ok update,

It has been four days. I am getting a little better than one plant a day right now. lol. RL and family always come first. I have taken the first half of five plants. I have some explaining to do. I did not take pics yet but I will tomorrow I promise. I took the tops off of five of the plants. This consisted of about the top 12 - 18 inches of the plant. This is obviously where the big nugs where. Well, there is a hell of a lot of undergrowth. I mean a lot of it. I decided since I did not have the time to break the system down while I was in the middle of harvest I would just let them be for now to see if they would get any crystals on them. The lack of light getting to them meant that they were popcorn and very little in the way of THC. I am happy to report that now they are starting to get frosty. And their little leaves are turning darker. So, who knows maybe get a couple of grams of popcorn, or more likely, use it as material for hash making.

I do not have any numbers on yield yet. I started out taking wet weight numbers on thursday night. That ended Friday...lol. It was just too much and I was getting tired. My initial guess was looking for 2k/gr. That is not going to happen. I will say that I do believe I will be around 1.2 - 1.4k/gr. That is not great. I had some issues this grow. Nothing major, but all the little issues had a cumulative effect. I really believe that to be the case.

I do not want to be to definitive in my summary of this grow just yet. I will be getting some dry numbers by Thursday, and should have all of the numbers by next weekend. I have only three more plants to chop, but they are looking really nice yield wise. We will just have to wait and see. I had some nice test nuglets this weekend. Have to say, the PPP really is a night time smoke. This stuff is really heavy on the stone. It is very fresh so not a very good taste or smell yet. But it does stink like nobodies business. I was also able to chop the Tut. was a pitiful yield. Seriously doubt that it had 110 grams dry from that one. We will have to see what it comes too, but I am not overly optimistic. I will say that it got frosty as you would like. I have no way of testing it, but from the look it is way more frosty than the PPP. Have not sampled it yet. I just chopped it down last night and finished the trim this morning. So it will be a few days. I am more than happy to have some of the PPP to smoke, so it is all good.

I know I have a separate thread for the veg tent, but I have to say that those girls are looking fantastic! All seedlings are growing, and the PPP clones are like bushes already. Going to be hard to keep them in check when we flower them. The seedlings will need some time to catch up, but they will not need a bunch of it. They are going on the fourth node except for the GC. But that one is going on its 2nd. So it is not far behind.

Guys I hope you all had great weekends, and thanks for the kind words and well wishes. I send them back to you guys. Check back in a couple of days for pics and hopefully some numbers soon. Also once I get an idea of what the numbers look like, I will give my summary of this style of training and all of that. Thanks again.

Ok I took some pics yeserday and have them uploaded now. These are just to show what i was talking about. Enjoy. I will be taking down the five plants today. i will trim any buds that are big enough. The rest will become hash if they have any THC on them. I do not expect anything much from them. I want to give the other 3 plants some time to finish. They do not look to be done growing at the moment. I will keep an eye on them. I do not want to let them go much longer as I want to be able to put the veg tent girls into the flower tent as soon as possible. So maybe let the last three go over the weekend. They are only getting plain ro water at the moment. So they should be showing a lot more distress I would think than they are. But live and learn. It will be interesting to see what they do the rest of the week.

2016-02-23_20_40_39.jpg
2016-02-23_20_40_44.jpg
2016-02-23_20_40_48.jpg
2016-02-23_20_40_52.jpg
2016-02-23_20_40_57.jpg

Ok, I had not realized that it has been a couple of weeks since posting. I have been very busy. Let me get started now.

I was harvesting and trimming very slowly over about a 2 and a half week period. The reason for this was the plants seemed to be finishing at different times too me. I am not sure why. But some seemed to be ready and the others took their sweet time to get ready. Plus I was also busy with RL. So the harvest was not one big event, but several days of taking what I had time to trim and dry. That being said, I was able to finish trimming on the 11 of march. I had already spent two days cleaning the flower tent and hydro system. I then moved the veg tent plants over to the flowering tent and one of the Kripple shock plants had died. It got a case of root rot and it just went very quickly. The other plants were looking great in the veg tent, but wilted and went into serious shock as soon as they were transplanted. This happened to a lesser degree the last time I moved from veg to flower. This time it was very dramatic.

The plants have now recovered and are doing very nicely. I popped another Green Crack seed and will be putting it in the bucket that was vacated by the dead Kripple Shock. This means I will not be flipping on the 15th. That really sucks but, the other plants spent five days in severe shock and have only just recovered to a point that I feel comfortable giving them a defol and a topping. This will set me back 2 - 3 weeks before flipping. It is no biggie, but it is a setback.

Now back to this harvest. It was a disappointment overall. I do not have the final numbers as I am still drying the last plants that I harvested. I can say that I was only getting 3 - 4 oz/plant for the first 5 plants. That is a big disappointment. Now, it is hard for me to say what the reasons were for this. I had issues with burning the plants, plant deficiencies, and a different training style. I really was very ambitious about this grow and it bit me in the butt. I will say that the skill of the grower (me) had the biggest impact on the low yield. I screwed up too many times during the grow. Also, defoliation may have been a big factor in the final outcome. I just do not have the experience or skill yet to pull it off.

The smoke report is the same as last time. This stuff is great night time smoke. Strong body stones and intense heady high. Smells are very strong and like skunky citrus. Just really powerful stuff. I will say that my final numbers will be ~ 1 kilo gram (2.2 lbs). That is pretty sad considering these are supposed to be high yielders and the equipment that I have. It really is a poor reflection of my skill at growing this stuff.

Having said all of that, I am determined to get better and have better results. I have my third grow in the tent now and feel super confident that I can get them up to size in the next couple of weeks. The signature has the link to the new grow. This will be my last post for this one.

I want to end by saying thank you to everyone that has been a part of this grow. You guys are great, and mean so much to me. I am very grateful for all the help, and support that you guys give. I also want to say thank you to everyone that stops by to see what is going on. I hope you liked what you saw and could learn something or whatever. Thanks again to 420 for just being a great community. See you on the next one. :)

Ok, I had not realized that it has been a couple of weeks since posting. I have been very busy. Let me get started now.

I was harvesting and trimming very slowly over about a 2 and a half week period. The reason for this was the plants seemed to be finishing at different times too me. I am not sure why. But some seemed to be ready and the others took their sweet time to get ready. Plus I was also busy with RL. So the harvest was not one big event, but several days of taking what I had time to trim and dry. That being said, I was able to finish trimming on the 11 of march. I had already spent two days cleaning the flower tent and hydro system. I then moved the veg tent plants over to the flowering tent and one of the Kripple shock plants had died. It got a case of root rot and it just went very quickly. The other plants were looking great in the veg tent, but wilted and went into serious shock as soon as they were transplanted. This happened to a lesser degree the last time I moved from veg to flower. This time it was very dramatic.

The plants have now recovered and are doing very nicely. I popped another Green Crack seed and will be putting it in the bucket that was vacated by the dead Kripple Shock. This means I will not be flipping on the 15th. That really sucks but, the other plants spent five days in severe shock and have only just recovered to a point that I feel comfortable giving them a defol and a topping. This will set me back 2 - 3 weeks before flipping. It is no biggie, but it is a setback.

Now back to this harvest. It was a disappointment overall. I do not have the final numbers as I am still drying the last plants that I harvested. I can say that I was only getting 3 - 4 oz/plant for the first 5 plants. That is a big disappointment. Now, it is hard for me to say what the reasons were for this. I had issues with burning the plants, plant deficiencies, and a different training style. I really was very ambitious about this grow and it bit me in the butt. I will say that the skill of the grower (me) had the biggest impact on the low yield. I screwed up too many times during the grow. Also, defoliation may have been a big factor in the final outcome. I just do not have the experience or skill yet to pull it off.

The smoke report is the same as last time. This stuff is great night time smoke. Strong body stones and intense heady high. Smells are very strong and like skunky citrus. Just really powerful stuff. I will say that my final numbers will be ~ 1 kilo gram (2.2 lbs). That is pretty sad considering these are supposed to be high yielders and the equipment that I have. It really is a poor reflection of my skill at growing this stuff.

Having said all of that, I am determined to get better and have better results. I have my third grow in the tent now and feel super confident that I can get them up to size in the next couple of weeks. The signature has the link to the new grow. This will be my last post for this one.

I want to end by saying thank you to everyone that has been a part of this grow. You guys are great, and mean so much to me. I am very grateful for all the help, and support that you guys give. I also want to say thank you to everyone that stops by to see what is going on. I hope you liked what you saw and could learn something or whatever. Thanks again to 420 for just being a great community. See you on the next one. :)

All you need to do bro is stay on top of it more. You know what to do now. But yes especially in hydro it can be alot of work and is easy to "take nights off". It really is all centered around the Ph for 90% of us... Most deficiencies I see are caused by this.

Just keep on top of it... DWC buckets as I learned are constant maintenance. Not a simple system to keep balanced... Alot of people do it and it isn't horrible but takes effort. I am confident you will get it down it's just a matter of getting back in the swing of things...

:peace:

FE

Finally caught up with this one and I feel you Bama, it must be very disappointing to harvest only one kilo of really powerful stuff :laughtwo:

But jokes aside with every grow you get more experience for the next one! In the first you were having a hard time to germinate the seeds (if I recall correctly), now you had a less than expected yield, hopefully in the next one you'll get where you want. And the equipment is already there too so minimal investment :cheesygrinsmiley:

Back
Top Bottom