Hyena's Never-Ending Adventures In Growing

Ps love the attic scrog. I did a t5 scrog last year 6 plants and 12 ounces from 660w of t5. I only did it because everyone says you can't grow quality or quantity with t5. And although I would never trade any of my flower lights for a t5 it was still fun to try it once. Same quality less density. Longer veg time.

Welcome Rooster, I knew we would be friends.

The Dutch bucket system I employ still seems to be the king of simplicity and until I find a better way I will endorse it.

I personally like hydro over soil for controlability. So much easier to avoid mysterious imbalances and pests, plus less guesswork and no matter what anyone says, the herb will still taste just as good. ;)

My way isn't the only way or maybe even the best way but I will help you any way I can.

Thanks for the kind words.

Peace, Hyena

I just went through a spider more bout. Azamax blew them away in 15 days but it's the second scare I've had in a year. Hydro seems so much more predictable without the need of contaminating my grow with a new batch of soil. No matter what anyone says I do not believe there is any soil on the market that will be pest free 100% of the time.

But I know my water doesn't have mites.... Just saying

My take...

The first real key to a great grow is ABSOLUTE CLEANLINESS especially from the standpoint of never introducing pests, diseases, etc. Unless you completely and intelligently seal your grow environment it is an open invitation to the micro world and all its nasty critters and they WILL get in.

2) Many hobby growers like to have frequent contact with their plants. Pro growers do not. The most-likely way your plants will meet trouble is if you bring it in, on your clothes or shoes or hands or hair.

So, contact with your plants is the number-one threat to them if we really want to be honest about the subject of cannabis problems.

Hydro offers many advantages. It is not difficult to dial in the perfect hydro solution and keep it clean. Plus you can change the entire thing in mid-grow if necessary. Hydro growing media whether coco or hydroton or perlite are all free of threats unless you contaminate them somehow. Hydro systems are easy to inspect and maintain, and unless you are an idiot it's quite easy to keep the nutes and the PH in line. Heck, I AM an idiot and I can do it just fine. :thedoubletake:

Soil makes it all-or-nothing. With soil you are often limited to trying to control pests or disease without being able to eliminate the source: the soil. So once a soil grow goes south it's hard to really do much about it until the next grow. I must agree with Rooster that it seems unlikely to me any soil is 100% threat-free, plus soil is the natural environment for most things that hurt cannabis so it's a continuous open invitation to introduce some pest or nuisance along the way.

I have done over ten soil grows back in the day. Now five hydro runs. Now that I have experienced both sides it's hard for me to make a case for soil when growing indoors.

Outdoors I think you might not have a choice... :hmmmm:

Peace, Hyena

And, as always, that's just one man's opinion. Plenty of great budz coming from dirt grows.

Peace, Hyena

I think anyone would be dumb not to want to grow Hyenas!! Please get the seed project going seems like a lot of growers have a huge intrest in the great genetics created in the secret attic!!!

Been reading this for a couple of days reads like a literary journal I accidentally skipped to the end and spoiled my surprise of you having more seeds

Thanks for the kind words!

I have always been accused of talking too much, so this forum gives me the chance to blab randomly and it's pretty much saving me thousands on professional therapy... :thedoubletake:

Stop by often. Strangest thing about my story is it's true. I still can't believe thousands around the world know all about it, but my wife, family and friends have no idea what is going on. The Scarlet Pimpernel of Pot?

Peace, Hyena

Happy Monday! Yet another update...on Project 25

We are just over 7 1/2 weeks since the old flipperoo and it's a fuzzy fun factory folks!

20170710_080900.jpg

The tails are all standing as tall as a herd of scared raccoons...every indicator is that they are healthy. I know there must be some pressure on them since it's the middle of summer and this is an enclosed attic grow (on the full sun side no less!) where the temperature would be over 110 F normally. I have my trusty AC unit in there and she still keeps things 86-88 tops and things look pretty good but I'm sure we are right at the upper range of being able to produce good sticky buds. Last summer's disaster, where the temps were not AC augmented and reached over 100 F produced worthless weed. I hope we are in the zone we need to be in and the next three weeks or maybe four should tell.

If things keep swelling (a couple more waves of flowers) I think the stash will be sweet. I hope to preserve the tasty taste of my blends and I'm not really sure how hot is too hot. I could turn the AC down lower but I don't want to make its goal impossible and have it just running 24/7 with diminished return either. That's why I call this a lab...I am learning things by experimenting, grow by grow. Fun!

Buds are starting to pack more on...

20170710_081516.jpg

20170705_061835.jpg

Meanwhile, on the pollen/seed project, the pollen sacs on the isolated branches are looking awfully ripe but still no bursters. Don't know where it will end up but they have to pop sometime.

20170710_081749.jpg

Now we start to be able to evaluate the Hyena quality.

I clipped a couple buds last week and after trying some this morning, well, I'm really high.

20170710_082552_1_.jpg

Tasty too, so to this point at least it's working. You get a little nervous when you get near the end. After smoking.

Now I'm just cruising and hoping for not too many heat waves the next three weeks or so.

I am not yet starting another run, though I would normally be cracking beans right about now but I'm still deciding what I will do and what I will grow. If the seed project stays my first goal I will basically run the same ones again and fertilize them. I'm only a short time from having the pollen (hopefully!) and that's the last piece of the puzzle. On the other hand, my seed bank numbers 40 strains and so many of them would be fun to grow. 90% chance the Hyena seed project will take precedence but just keeping my options open in case no pollen shows up.

On a 420 Mag note, it's almost that time again when I have buds suitable for creating fine portraits for the enjoyment of all, in the monthly photo contest. Don't know if it will be a later entry this month or (more probably) an early one for next, but it's coming! I'm so excited.

Stay tuned! And enjoy this great day!

Peace, Hyena

Happy Saturday! Mine sure is.

Just wanted to share the love and an update on Project 25 as it winds down to a conclusion. I HAVE concluded a few things...

First, how we look:

20170715_064101.jpg

There's no doubt the blooms are bloomin'. I'm pretty pleased with the overall garden, every plant producing its fair share and everything looking healthy from end to end.

I finally did decide to lower the AC to 80 max temp. It might allow them to become just a little more aromatic. The heat in the upper 80s for the last month has reduced the fragrance some but the samples I'm smoking are plenty stony. Just like maximum flavor too....hard to achieve if the temps get above 90 and I'm starting to think even over 80 is reducing the juiciness and aroma to some degree. It's an attic grow and there's only so much one can do and I have to accept that.

Getting good structure and filling out more..

20170715_064259.jpg

They are mostly sativas no doubt...

20170715_064126.jpg

Pretty girls though.

So, not much has changed, just seeing how fat I can get them before the trichomes start to turn amber. I check them regularly and still everything is clear so we have some more time to go.

The pollen project has taken another strange turn for the worse...the development of the pollen pods on the treated branches never matured enough to actually burst and produce pollen! It's like they just got nearly there, then stopped growing. Both branches look like shit. I'm going to just remove the whole thing and reconsider my methods and the adjustments needed to be successful next time. We live and learn. Hyena seeds are still but a dream...

Again, it's tough to regulate the grow room temperatures when it's summer and you're in an attic so maybe that's why it happened (didn't happen). In general, cannabis is a very hardy and resilient plant, but to achieve maximum perfection is not as easy as it seems. Every grow is a little different.

I am leaning toward opening my prodigious seed vault and pulling out some really famous varieties next time around, and see what I could do with them in my little lab. The fall/winter and the winter/spring grows are easy because the temps stay perfect the whole way and the buds will be all they can be.

I have some great candidates, among them:

-Jack Herrer
-Cheese
-Early Skunk
-Big Nugs Fast
-Candy Cream
-Original Skunk #1
-Blueberry
-Sweet Soma
-White Widow
-Neville's Haze
-Amnesia Haze
-Train Wreck
-Plush Berry
-Critical
-Liberty Haze
-Holy Grail
-Ripper Haze
-Blue Dream
-Primus
-Critical Kush
-Sour Jack

Anyone care to make a suggestion? I will choose 3 or at most 4 to try. They all sound good to me! :thumb:

Have a great weekend!

Peace, Hyena

Hey Hyena the one that stands out to me is HOLY GRAIL!! Have a grow ive been following by terpking and he had a great grow with it. So good he jus started another grow journal yesturday with the same atrain! But they all look fantastic wouldnt go wrong with any you select. And of course i will stick around and see what the secret attic has in store. Really sucks u didnt get seed project iff and going but hey ur right we live n learn. Hopefully one day you will get the seed project going and i will be able to make a order and have my own baby hyenas!! Looking good and hope the rest of your Saturday goes great as the start!!

Hyena may I sugguest opening up the critical kush. I love the fuel flavor. Definitely a great plant to grow. I recently dropped it from my arsenal so I could experiment with some other strains but prior to dropping it it absolutely was my best strain.

I dropped everything and opened a whole new collection to broaden my horizons but I will be going back to the critical kush eventually. Crowd favorite

Awesome lab/garden hyena I only have experience with a couple of those strains bt I just harvested a Barney's farm liberty haze a month or so ago. Already might be my favorite smoke of all time. Her buds produce a strong ceberal high that melts my mind and relaxes my body. She had the strongest pine smell to her and was as sticky as they come. She stretched a good amount. Probably too much for my tent bt she thickened up and produced over 5 ounces in a 5 gal of soil which is a high for that size pot for me. I recommend every one tries her at least once. Myself and potchimp experienced a europhic flashback after trying her for the first time. The most unique cerebal high I've experienced.

Back
Top Bottom