I'm Back for a New Grow

well here are the new pics. She is very droopy. I hope she will make it through the next 7 or so weeks.

rsz_0017.jpg

rsz_0039.jpg

this is one of the main tops, all the new growth is drooping on this one:
rsz_0048.jpg

same thing on the other side.
rsz_0057.jpg

Hopefully she makes it through, im going to try and find a heater of some kind. but funds are tight at the moment.

...well at least i havent been talking to completely myself for the last 10 days. I'm almost positive the problem is temp related, however i dont know how im going to raise the temps all day long. This box is in an outdoor room and there is no way for me to move it indoors. I will get a propane heater either before or right after Christmas but i wont feel comfortable running it 24 hrs unsupervised. And ideas on how to get around that problem?
I'll also be doing an update later as long as the plant isn't dead. I havent been home all weekend so i haven't seen it since thursday night.

i have one of those electric heaters, they scare me, when i turn them on before i was even growing it there they would dime the lights, plus i wanted an off the grid heat source. i can pass off the the power consumption fo the light as heat for the room, as my friends and I hang out in there, however if i were to add and electric heater the power usage would be noticeable.

nice to have you along rocafella.

I guess i'll turn this into a mini update. Today is the start of week 4 of 12/12. The cold temps are starting to effect some growth higher up on the plant, however she is still putting out pistils. I think she is through stretching, however i could be wrong with the cold and all. She is drinking water alot slower than normal im attributing that to the cold as well. Pics will come in the next day or so.
sorry for the post length...ripped:smokin::ganjamon:

Hey Stizz1e sup my man, just caught up on your grow here. Sorry to hear about the temp issue. Is there anyway you can add more insulation to keep the room warmer? I know what you mean about electric heaters, they draw alot of amps and can easily trigger a breaker especially if its on the same circuit as your grow lights.

How big is the room, even a candle burning in a coffee can filled with sand can up temps in small enough spaces (cars for example). Of course open flame is never safe unsupervised. Seems like a tough issue to solve bro.

Good luck I will be watching and hoping it all goes well, thanks for stopping by my grow as well.

L8ER

i have one of those electric heaters, they scare me, when i turn them on before i was even growing it there they would dime the lights, plus i wanted an off the grid heat source. i can pass off the the power consumption fo the light as heat for the room, as my friends and I hang out in there, however if i were to add and electric heater the power usage would be noticeable.

nice to have you along rocafella.

I guess i'll turn this into a mini update. Today is the start of week 4 of 12/12. The cold temps are starting to effect some growth higher up on the plant, however she is still putting out pistils. I think she is through stretching, however i could be wrong with the cold and all. She is drinking water alot slower than normal im attributing that to the cold as well. Pics will come in the next day or so.
sorry for the post length...ripped:smokin::ganjamon:

Dang man... i forgot about that... groo has a good idea... add some insulation that will keep a little of the heat that the lights give off... and no problem loves watching the babys get big.... :nicethread:

these heaters often draw 1800w which is obviously more than a 1000w ballast would. They shouldn't be plugged into the same circuit as a ballast because on a typical 15A breaker, it could overload it or cause melting issues.

amperage = wattage / voltage. Thats why 240v is better :p less amperage. If your lights are dimming, your electricity situation is far from optimal (I realize the dimming was from the electric heater, and you don't use one now)

I use my rooms electric baseboard heater, easy separate circuit. Check out how many watts your electric heater is. If you can, plug it into another circuit if you have to run some heat in there. DO NOT run it through an extension cord. Many cords are not rated high enough to handle the 15 amp load and WILL NOT "trip" like a breaker will. It'll just melt off at the connection most likely.

When selecting an extension cord or loading a breaker, you need to maintain 80% continuous load. It can spike higher, up to 15 amps before it trips, and that is okay - items turning on will often quickly have a higher amperage load for just a few milliseconds - technically enough to trip the breaker. As long as the 100% load is not constant, the breaker will not be likely to fail or overheat. A typical breaker can service 3-5 wall plugs. This would typically be a 15A breaker. The maximum load you should have is 12A running continually. TV's don't run too high (120w/120v=1A) but things like higher output surround systems and kitchen equipment, computers etc can run fairly high. Bathroom equipment too.... hairdryers consume as much wattage often as these electric room heaters we're talking about. Be careful you're not -just- overloading your breaker.

I personally check daily all my extension cords, wall plugs, timers, digital ballast, everything to make sure that it's not hot. I also occasionally check on the breaker to make sure it's not hot either. Overkill? Yeah, but i'm not explaining to the firemen why I have a hydroponic garden in my house :) I was however able to detect excessive load on my 1000w lamp timer and managed to remove the extra plug that was connected, resolving the heat buildup, and potentially stopping something bad from happening.

So I'd say the verdict is: If you have to heat the place, use an electric heater. Make sure it's plugged into a circuit will a small load. If you use an extension cord, make it an extra ultra heavy duty one that is rated for 18A+ NO LOWER Than 18. This should be okay, considering an 1800w heater runs at 15A, an 18A extension cord is just shy of that 80% sweet zone... 14.4A

*note i'm not an electrician. please research my rantings before considering them :rollit:

Tuned in to watch this sexy lst action. :nicethread:

So I've caught a lucky streak with the weather warming up a bit. I also installed my light proof curtains on the doors to my cabinet and wrapped some insulation around the outside of the box. temps were in the mid 70's last night and she is looking perkier. I will feed on monday like week 4 never happened and hope that i can just continue on from there. Only time will tell. I hope she bud out though because there are tons of tops.

sorry to say this grow has all but been abandoned. I can not keep the temps warm enough and the plant is freezing. I will keep light on it to see if it pulls through but i doubt it will happen. Thanks to any one who watched i appreciate it. I will be back with a new grow, hopefully soon

Bummer Stizz1e!! Best bet mebbe is to plan for a spring grow. Its just around the corner. Mebbe do some starts inside. Then put em out there when ready. Sorry the grow is not working out this round. Hope to see you back in the saddle real soon. Stay Green.

L8ER

Back
Top Bottom