Increasing yield with defoliation indoors: What's it mean? How to do it?

Giga, yeah it is, but for the second part, where he says just jump right to 10-14, and stay there until the last week or two, then drop to 9-15.

I like the idea of my plants only growing 10% in flower, so I can better control the height.

I learned something from an hem policy lecture. If u veg in the 12 light then 1 hour to prevent flowering then when you flower go strait to 10 on 15 off, your plants will only grow 10 percent larger and grow no new leaves. They also finish a week earlier. The guy has experimented and grown this way a while with great results. U also save power\money.

This way u don't have to stress ur plants.

10 on 15 off? do you mean 10 on 14 off?

I have been using GLR and diminishing light schedule. My current grow was on 13/11 and last night I flipped her to 14/10 after that vid. What the hell, why not.

But I also have 7 plants in 2L hempys I was growing as a filler grow while I start new seeds so I can set up 2 tents in flower at all times. So I flipped them last night as well and went straight to 14/10. They didnt get GLR as they were young clones, but again, I'm not going to worry about it, and we'll see what happens.

The Hempys wont get the normal hi defoliation routine as they are being kept so much smaller than my normal grows. So they wont apply to this technique and I'm not growing them for max yield. Just a smaller filler and I may take 2 clones from the 2 Master Kush's.

I'll try to remember later when I have more time to put some more recent pics up of my normal defoliation current grow up though.

Hey Bassman59,

Thankyou for the lovely letter in the other place there, i will be catching up with you about the special link real soon...:)...Had some leakage issues as well as a 3 day snowstorm which didn't help, we are sorting out, i love your thread on here, we use this technique with smashing success, works real well....Thanks for bringing it out to this forward thinking community....:)....Zodiac

Hey guys hope youre all baked as hell;) Lol.. Just wanted to say that my girl is flowering now, and is gaining size but not as big as my previous due to the longer Veg time before.
She has about 20 days to go or so, there have been some slight illuminination of a soft white Cfl vaguely geting to my G/space, she may be held up a little due to not totally black as black dark time. Its not bright in there, ya cant see the plant if you peek in just a thought tho?
If the dark cycle had been inter upted a little during flower, how much extra time would it take to finish up?
Anyways heres a couple of my girl:)
2013-02-17_20_45_06.jpg

2013-02-17_20_46_33.jpg

2013-02-17_20_45_14.jpg

This grow has been ok but I doubt Ill get anything above 7oz from this grow, If that!! She needs to bulk up abit more:(so things will be tight. lookiing forward to next round:) Have a good one everyone, Smokmeup

If the dark cycle had been inter upted a little during flower, how much extra time would it take to finish up?

I don't know that it will increase flowering time. It might, but I'm not sure. What light leaks CAN do is cause them to hermie. In the past, I've had plants hermie that I attributed to a light leak. This doesn't mean yours will, but my goal is to make the flowering room pitch black. I actually stood inside my flowering room and sealed myself inside with every light in the basement, outside the flowering room, on. I think that's the only way to tell how much light is leaking in. I thought the lights on my fan were not all that bright. Then I did my test by putting myself inside the flowering room. Boy was I wrong about how much light they put off! Let's just say both fans have some nice new hats to cover up those lights. :winkyface:

If you're "peeking" into the room, you could be letting light in through where you're looking that will affect your test. If you can't see anything inside, you're probably fine. I have no idea what your flowering room looks like. If you can't get yourself inside, can you at least get your head in there and get a good light seal still? The last option might be to put your phone inside while it's shooting video, close up the room, then take it out and review the footage to see if the phone "saw" any light leaks. You might have to run this test several times with the phone pointing at each area of potential light leak separately. I've never done this, so I'm not sure how well it would work. I'm just trying to come up with another way to test. Now that I think about it, every place I've ever grown, I've been able to put myself inside the flowering room haha. Even a small closet has enough room. :)

Thanx Hiker;)
Yeah well thats what I was thinking too, I dont know if these seeds are stable in their genetic make up but both plants have started to show 1 or 2 seed pod-looking things in the largest cola's. They arent seeds, and they dont like pop open or nothing, just kinda looks like the beginning of a seed pod.
All the other buds are perfectly normal, its just the largest cola's from this C99xPR seeds I had seem to form a couple of these things.. WEIRD??!!
And yeah, Ive thoroughly cheked out her room for light leaks, and have since taped up and covered all openeings. When I stick my head in, its dark mate, theres just a shade of light ( enuf to just see in front of me ) But inside her space is dark,the only thing I noticed when I opened the door a crack, was a faint shine off the Mylar sheeting, but the plant is not visible. So hopefully shell be right.
And I think it was just a lack of patience on my behalf why I started to think maybe she was being held back due to light or something, But now she is fully engaged into flower - Im seeing a bunch of new swollen calyxes daily now and pistils are about 60% orange so far.. TRICHS LOOK NICE + FROSTY!! And lol.. I can fit in my space easily ( its 4.5ft wide and 8.5ft high ) just when theres a 4.5ft wide x 4.5ft high plant in there its squashy:):) BUT I WOULD LIKE TO RUB MY FACE INTO THEM BUDS!! Im tellin ya, this strain has minimal smell until flower, then youre hit with a piny,sweet but pungeant smell that makes me wanna eat it.. I cant stop smellin my fingaz after trimming her, she has about 17 days or so, it can be upto a 75 day flower period, shes at day 44 now roughly? So like Cindy, Im hoping that this will bulk right up over the last 2 weeks of flower as before, and as all else has been nearly identical, Im hoping for the same.
Thanks for your comments and ideas bro.. Take it easy and will chat soon. Smokemup:goodjob:

Here is how I'm planning to defoliate next time I grow Arjan's Haze #3.

My goal is an even canopy with many heads in a small volume. But there also needs to be sufficient room between the branches so I'll try and find the sweet spot. We'll see how that goes! :)

If some side branches would reach the same height as the main stem I will also give them a heavy defoliation. But since I'm not gonna top I don't think that will happen.

Defoliation_scheme.png

The first defoliation will happen at around day 18-20 and the second one 7-14 days later depending on regrowth rate. For the 2nd defoliation I only painted the lowest set of side branches for clarity (and laziness!) but you get the picture, the higher up I go the more I will take off.

And remember this is my first try to adapt the method to this specific strain so I might deviate a little from standard practice (if such a thing exsist?).

Peace!

I may have misunderstood, but we want side branches to be even up top for a nice full canopy. I do top early for this reason in fact. Some folks don't. I also fim. Sometimes I miss the fim and it really only becomes a topping. But on my next grow, which is just seedlings of Kosher Kush atm, I actually plan on doing a "main-lining" type of topping as an experiment. Should be fun!

I look forward to your next one Inkdot!

I have done a spiral trim before which helps to get some of those lower branches up high.

You trim in a clock or clock wise method starting with the lowest branch. You pinch of one of the branches all together and the opposite one grows much more than if you didn't pinch its opposite one.

If you do this at least one cycle, your lower 4 nodes really take off. I have done it for 2 cycles also and then topped. The lower 8 nodes really take off if you then top. And if they still haven't caught up, you split the two that you topped and end up with 12 colas.

I may have misunderstood, but we want side branches to be even up top for a nice full canopy. I do top early for this reason in fact. Some folks don't. I also fim. Sometimes I miss the fim and it really only becomes a topping. But on my next grow, which is just seedlings of Kosher Kush atm, I actually plan on doing a "main-lining" type of topping as an experiment. Should be fun!

I look forward to your next one Inkdot!

I tried FIMming on one plant as a test. In my earlier growing life, we pinched and bent, but I never heard FIM. I forget who it was, but someone posted a nice diagram explaining what it was. After seeing that I tried it. I'm still undecided, but I doubt I'll make use of the technique much in the future.

I'm also planning to try mainlining on my next crop though. :)

I have done a spiral trim before which helps to get some of those lower branches up high.

You trim in a clock or clock wise method starting with the lowest branch. You pinch of one of the branches all together and the opposite one grows much more than if you didn't pinch its opposite one.

If you do this at least one cycle, your lower 4 nodes really take off. I have done it for 2 cycles also and then topped. The lower 8 nodes really take off if you then top. And if they still haven't caught up, you split the two that you topped and end up with 12 colas.

That's what I did for my current crop. I trained the main stem in a curve around the rim of the bucket. It worked out well. I have 6-12 main tops on every plant, and many smaller buds that I'm hoping will make it to the end.

Back
Top Bottom