Info needed

Hi all, I'm looking to gain a little knowledge on Coco & Mega Crop growing prior to my next grow. I'm not a new grower & I'm no expert either. I've had a few soil grows that were all successful .... some more than others. My last grow I tried Coco with a long line of Advanced Nutrients products. I grew huge ass plants with very few issues other than they got too big for my tent. However, I don't think the yield was all that much more (maybe 1 - 1.5 oz. per plant) & I didn't notice any difference in potency using the expensive A.N. line up. Therefore, I feel those nutrients aren't worth the price for the small gain. The G.H. line up in soil is just about as good & way cheaper.
Anyway, I sold my house & moved so I'm starting over in a new place. My new place has a pretty good size shed; but it needs some work. I'm completely re-doing it. Got new roofing done yesterday & putting up new exterior siding this weekend. Since I only have time to work on it on weekends I'm looking at about 6 weeks to start a grow. I'm only using a 4' x 8' section of the shed for growing which will be sealed up pretty tight.
I pretty much have everything I'll need to get going once my shed is ready. I ordered 2 of the Mars Hydro TSW 2000's for lights. I should get them today according to Fedex Tracking. Got a lot of recommendations from other growers on these lights. I'm only growing 2 plants in Auto Pots so 1 light per plant. Room will be Mylar on 4 walls & ceiling with a linoleum floor.
So in order to be ready I need to find out more about Coco & Mega Crop. So .... Are there any brands or types of Coco that are known to be better than others ? 70 / 30 mix with Perlite using Auto - Pots ? (will be my 1st time using these) I have 2 of the XL 6.6 gallon pots with 12 gallon reservoir, re-circulation pump & air domes. I'm looking for a Coco that works well with Mega Crop. Open to all suggestions.
Now about the Mega Crop : I see there are many different formula's by Greenleaf. So which one do you guys use ? I see one that says Mega Crop "Plant Food" 9-6-17 (2500 gr.) $33.05 which recommends buying Bud Explosion & Cal Mag Pro to go with it. It's like $80 for 2500 gr. of each which is fine if this is what I need.
But than there's this one that has really caught my eye .... Greenleaf "Kush Master" 1-2-5 Super Kush Indica Formula. I'm an OG Kush Indica person 100% but this stuff is real expensive compared to the "Plant Food" one. Has anyone tried the Kush Master & if you did what did you think of it ?
As you can see I'm kind of puzzled on the Mega Crop so tell me which one you guys use & any additives I will need to go with it. Hoping to get enough info to order this stuff in the next day or 2. I want to be germinating some seeds in a closet by the end of the month that I can move to my shed shortly thereafter. 1 plant of Fire OG & 1 plant for a comparison grow with @Pennywise of GDP.
All help is always great !!! Hope to hear from some of my mentors on this also: @Emilya , @Old Salt , @farside05 , @Tom Sawyer , & all the rest. Too many good growers to name them all. I'll look forward to seeing you all when we do this comparison grow. Should get interesting; although Pennywise has much more experience than I do. But I still would like to see how much better he does using his method. Might make me switch growing techniques again ... LOL.

I use auto pots as well, I put about 2-3 inches of hydro stones in the bottom followed by a mix of coco and hydro stones. I use advanced nutes so I can’t help on nute question
ABB95C4C-4B99-4F02-A05A-770A9917BB9E.png

With all the excitement about MegaCrop, I decided to experiment with it too, and I am using it in my organic soil mix. I have basically turned off the soil by using tap water and supplying these nutes instead, but that is ok, in this application my soil is doing exactly the same job that your coco will be doing... holding up the plants. There is nothing but Megacrop and its associated supplements powering my grow right now, and it is doing very well on the stuff... it might be a record grow!
Megacrop will not sell you the old version of the product any longer, so when you order you will be getting version 2 and there are rumors of a version 3 that will get rid of the balls of nutrient that seem to be annoying everyone. Version 2 was fixed by adding some more magnesium and they warn us... let me repeat that... they WARN us not to use a calmag product, even their own. Everything needed is in the megacrop they say, and if you start seeing a deficiency, add more MegaCrop... and that strategy is working just fine for me.
I dont believe in making nutrient companies rich so I tend not to buy into all the expensive finishing products and boosters that are out there, especially salt based ones, but MegaCrop offers 3 additional products that I have every confidence in because of their online nutrient calculator. I do supplement within their product line only with Sweet Candy, Sea-Kelp and the PK Booster Bud Explosion, and I use these products exactly as recommended. Also note that even though they have a calmag product, they give clear warnings that its use is probably is not necessary, and as we have seen in some of the grows around here, the use of it oftentimes adds complications to the MC grow.

With all the excitement about MegaCrop, I decided to experiment with it too, and I am using it in my organic soil mix. I have basically turned off the soil by using tap water and supplying these nutes instead, but that is ok, in this application my soil is doing exactly the same job that your coco will be doing... holding up the plants. There is nothing but Megacrop and its associated supplements powering my grow right now, and it is doing very well on the stuff... it might be a record grow!
Megacrop will not sell you the old version of the product any longer, so when you order you will be getting version 2 and there are rumors of a version 3 that will get rid of the balls of nutrient that seem to be annoying everyone. Version 2 was fixed by adding some more magnesium and they warn us... let me repeat that... they WARN us not to use a calmag product, even their own. Everything needed is in the megacrop they say, and if you start seeing a deficiency, add more MegaCrop... and that strategy is working just fine for me.
I dont believe in making nutrient companies rich so I tend not to buy into all the expensive finishing products and boosters that are out there, especially salt based ones, but MegaCrop offers 3 additional products that I have every confidence in because of their online nutrient calculator. I do supplement within their product line only with Sweet Candy, Sea-Kelp and the PK Booster Bud Explosion, and I use these products exactly as recommended. Also note that even though they have a calmag product, they give clear warnings that its use is probably is not necessary, and as we have seen in some of the grows around here, the use of it oftentimes adds complications to the MC grow.
Thanks for the Heads up on the Cal Mag. That's something I can get anytime should I need it anyway. I think I'll have to go straight to the Greenleaf site because Amazon & EBAY only show a few of the products. Sure looking forward to growing again & getting some good stuff instead of this high dollar dispensary stuff that isn't very good at all. Not for what they charge for it anyway.

Are there any brands or types of Coco that are known to be better than others ?

Canna products, I use the bricks as they are easy and discrete to transport. Don't get the cheap stuff from the big on-line malls. I tried some, finding it was full of unground chunks and poorly washed. Canna on the other hand has a nice even texture, and is thoroughly washed before it is shipped. I found the extra cost well worth it.

I see there are many different formula's by Greenleaf. So which one do you guys use ? I see one that says Mega Crop "Plant Food" 9-6-17 (2500 gr.) $33.05

I'm using Mega Crop V2. I've gone up to 6.5gm/gal for flower. I don't want to push it any higher, and noticed a calcium deficiency. I'm adding 1ml CALiMAGic per 10 - 15 gms of Mega Crop, which cleared it up immediately. This small amount did not require further adjustments. I believe @MrSauga, and @InTheShed recommend adding an equal amount of ProteKt to the CALiMAGic to maintain the correct N->K ratio. You can find out more in The Mega Crop Thread.

Consider adding an automatic watering system. In flower, my plants require feeding/watering in coco/perlite three times per day. Automatic watering reduces your workload, and allows you to leave home for a few days. I'll be updating my system this year to increase the pressure and use one gallon per hour drippers. Four of those drippers will apply about 250ml or one cup per minute to a plant. The adjustable drippers and low pressure pump I'm currently using are a pain to balance out.

I'm using Mega Crop V2. I've gone up to 6.5gm/gal for flower. I don't want to push it any higher, and noticed a calcium deficiency. I'm adding 1ml CALiMAGic per 10 - 15 gms of Mega Crop, which cleared it up immediately. This small amount did not require further adjustments. I believe @MrSauga, and @InTheShed recommend adding an equal amount of ProteKt to the CALiMAGic to maintain the correct N->K ratio. You can find out more in The Mega Crop Thread.
Thanks for the tag Old Salt! I use straight MC with nothing else, and just bump the grams/gallon if I see any deficiencies. Clears them right up. I've never had a problem running MC alone.

Farside uses a 1:blushsmile:1 mix of MC, cal-mag, and silica until flower, when he bumps the MC to 6 and leaves the other two at 5 and 5. Here is a screenshot of his schedule for autoflowers (which is why he's at 6g/gal on day 30 rather than waiting for flip, but you get the idea generally):
Screenshot_20200101-155410_Chrome.jpg

Thanks @InTheShed for the mention into this . The results for me in dwc has been super good . Having an issue the girls are making the water and nutrients disappear in 5 days ! I can’t get 4 gallons of water into the bucket with the roots it over flows the bucket. So I dropped it to 3 gallons and so far seems to be doing great . I mixed 4 gallons with MC then took one back and added that back this morning after it dropped 3/4 gallon and over 200 ppm of MC solids disappeared.

It's like $600 an ounce here, that's just legal robbery.
Holy Cow !!! $600 is outrages. I complain about the $140 - $200 an oz. prices here. Street prices are even getting out of hand because of the dispensaries charging so much. I used up my allotment & a friend said he could get me an 1/8th for $40. I told him he was out of his rabbit ass mind !!! Sounds like that would be a good deal where you're at.

Canna products, I use the bricks as they are easy and discrete to transport. Don't get the cheap stuff from the big on-line malls. I tried some, finding it was full of unground chunks and poorly washed. Canna on the other hand has a nice even texture, and is thoroughly washed before it is shipped. I found the extra cost well worth it.

Consider adding an automatic watering system. In flower, my plants require feeding/watering in coco/perlite three times per day. Automatic watering reduces your workload, and allows you to leave home for a few days. I'll be updating my system this year to increase the pressure and use one gallon per hour drippers. Four of those drippers will apply about 250ml or one cup per minute to a plant. The adjustable drippers and low pressure pump I'm currently using are a pain to balance out.
Thanks for the info. Didn't know there was a Mega Crop Thread. I'm going to use Auto Pots so it will be an auto-feed system. Bought the Hydro Rocks, Perlite & Coco yesterday so 1 step closer. Also got my 2 Mars Hydro TSW 2000's yesterday. Those are some pretty bright lights. They should do fine.
Maybe I'll start a thread on converting my old shed to a grow room in desert climates.

Back
Top Bottom