InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Someone actually brought me a butter flavored coconut oil haven't cooked with it yet though but find any recipe that uses butter(sweet stuff) is just fine and more shelf stable with coconut oil.

once cooked (infused) coconut oil will go rancid. the introduction of organic material (infusion process) will only encourage it.

for the cost of the space of a quart jar in the fridge, you could save an emergency room food poisoning while high trip.

some like the possible adventure though.

once cooked (infused) coconut oil will go rancid. the introduction of oraginc material (infusion process) will only encourage it.

for the cost of the space of a quart jar in the fridge, you could save an emergency room food poisoning while high trip.

some like the possible adventure though.

Coconut oil has a fairly long shelf life, no? My readings tell me 18-24 months when stored properly. Is this not correct?

Coconut oil has a fairly long shelf life, no? My readings tell me 18-24 months when stored properly. Is this not correct?

not after it's been heated. once it melts to liquid all bets are off. particularly if you have introduced organics.

part of coconut's appeal in commercial cooking is the shelf life and storage requirements before heated. once that has happened it is considered a live food. same as butter, less stable than a margarine.

it can and will send folk to the hospital. only requires minor refrigeration to keep it stable long term.

not after it's been heated. once it melts to liquid all bets are off. particularly if you have introduced organics.

part of coconut's appeal in commercial cooking is the shelf life and storage requirements before heated. once that has happened it is considered a live food. same as butter, less stable than a margarine.

it can and will send folk to the hospital. only requires minor refrigeration to keep it stable long term.

You may know much more than the folks at the link, but they are definitely in disagreement with you.

Does coconut oil go bad if it melts?​

No. As described earlier, melting of coconut oil is a perfectly natural process, and it doesn’t mean the oil is bad. If the temperature where you store it is above 75 °F (ca. 24 °C), melting is expected.

Does coconut oil go bad if not refrigerated?​

No. Coconut oil doesn’t need refrigerating. You can store it in the fridge if you want, but it will become really firm. And firm coconut oil means scooping some of it will be as easy as it should be. If possible, store coconut oil in the pantry.

I'm not trying to stir trouble, but there's disagreement so getting a solid answer to this question is important.

You may know much more than the folks at the link, but they are definitely in disagreement with you.

I'm not trying to stir trouble, but there's disagreement so getting a solid answer to this question is important.

try some.

it's actually fairly simple. once organics are introduced to anything they can go bad. introducing them with the addition of heat ups the game.

you can live as safe or dangerous as you like. i make medical based products for others, so am required to play it safe.

try some.

it's actually fairly simple. once organics are introduced to anything they can go bad. introducing them with the addition of heat ups the game.

you can live as safe or dangerous as you like. i make medical based products for others, so am required to play it safe.

I tend to play it safe and I'm not advocating doing anything different by questioning. The heat I introduce is enough to sterilize, so I am not very concerned either way.

the heat required to sterilize is near the point of infusion and decarb. however the time required is longer. you would be destroying the terpenes and thc you wish to extract, negating what you are trying to harvest.

on the plus side - oil infusions do remain closer to sterile longer due to the moisture. dry heat will not sterilize as well. the base issue are the organics. you just can't sterilize them all unless you have lab conditions.

if you ever eat a bad cookie or brownie you'll understand. it'll wipe your guts out for days. married to the toilet. you probably won't even taste it or have a gag reflex like normal bad food.

edit: this is an issue for commercial foods as well. there are routine food recalls on store shelf crackers. biscuits, cookies etc ... all around bad coconut, or other oil handling. we're talking un refrigerated foods, baked goods in
particular.

it's the oils that make them go off usually.

the heat required to sterilize is near the point of infusion and decarb. however the time required is longer. you would be destroying the terpenes and thc you wish to extract, negating what you are trying to harvest.

on the plus side - oil infusions do remain closer to sterile longer due to the moisture. dry heat will not sterilize as well. the base issue are the organics. you just can't sterilize them all unless you have lab conditions.

if you ever eat a bad cookie or brownie you'll understand. it'll wipe your guts out for days. married to the toilet. you probably won't even taste it or have a gag reflex like normal bad food.

edit: this is an issue for commercial foods as well. there are routine food recalls on store shelf crackers. biscuits, cookies etc ... all around bad coconut, or other oil handling. we're talking un refrigerated foods, baked goods in
particular.

it's the oils that make them go off usually.

I've had food poisoning before and never wish to experience it again. Since I essentially "can" my oil (loosely lidded jar inside instant pot - it always comes out with the lid firmly attached to the point I have to pry it off with some force) I have no worries over losing terpenes or anything else in my particular situation - as a matter of fact I was told it was stronger than expected and quite effective. The organic material is strained out and I place the oil into capsules. These don't sit around longer than a month or two at most around here anyway, but perhaps we prepare things quite differently. For that matter if it works for you then keep doing it your way. I'm just not convinced, sans scientific evidence to the contrary, that doing it my way has potential harm.

That'll teach me to sleep!
Which leads me to believe the GA3 is limited to where it makes direct contact.
Thanks DAB! I had forgotten that some branches on the plant remained untouched.
I think these were too concentrated, and will be trying lower concentrations, one even diluted in 1L of distilled water; simply for the sake of trying!
I hope 100ppm is the sweet spot, but if none of my dilutions work I'll let you take the next round at even lower numbers.
Shed would you please assist in potency calculations.
5 oz's (generic potency-15%- buds) in 5 cups of coconut oil in MB2, processed into 4 1/2 cups infused oil and of that take
1/2 cup infused oil added to chocolate to = 2 1/4 cups
microwaved & divided into 48 chocolate drops
1 drop = ? mg THC
?
48.6?
That's 141.748 grams (post decarb) @15% THC in 1182.94ml of oil. At 85% efficiency that gets you to 15.28mg THC/ml oil.

Your are using 118.294ml of oil in your recipe, which represents 1807.5mg of THC, which you are splitting among 48 chocolate drops. 1807.5/48=37.6569mg THC per drop.
That sounds delicious! Question - is the oil making process (in a jar in the oven) the same when using coconut oil vice EVOO? I’m getting ready to try a coconut batch and don’t want to burn anything!
Same process, same temps.
Just stay at a low temp should be fine Boo. Coconut oil in my opinion is way better than olive oil for edibles as far as effect to get high. Medium chain triglycerides are my main thang.
What Kis said! ↑ EVOO for medicine, Coconut oil for the high.
Try letting it cool too a solid then reheating too liquid a few times to get the most out of your oils.
What Kis said! ↑ Derby turned his into rocket fuel with repeated chilling and re-cooking.
Reheating seems to help in potency . I like using Grape Seed Oil, You can even use it as a topical because it rubs into the skin and doesn't leave an oily mess, it soaks in.
What Kirby said! ↑ And Derby does the same, using GSO for both edibles and topical.
Yes grape seed or punkin oil for topicals.
What Kis said! ↑, though I like to mix them 50/50 for topicals.
For edibles coconut oil is king in my book.
For getting high, no doubt.
Do you use Liquid at room temp or solid at room temp ?
Solid. Fractionated coconut oil (liquid at room temp) is processed, so best to eat use less processed oil.
less expensive than an mb2.
Not if you win one. :cheesygrinsmiley:
So should I try the liquid or the solid coconut oil ???
See above.
Always organic solid virgin coconut oil.
What Kis said! ↑
Instant pot does a little or a lot and you don't have to watch it start it and walk away.
I would still like to see someone have their oil tested after an IP run.
once cooked (infused) coconut oil will go rancid.
I feel the same way you do regarding oil with organics mixed in.
particularly if you have introduced organics.
Yes.
once organics are introduced to anything they can go bad. introducing them with the addition of heat ups the game.
Yes.
These don't sit around longer than a month or two at most around here anyway, but perhaps we prepare things quite differently. For that matter if it works for you then keep doing it your way. I'm just not convinced, sans scientific evidence to the contrary, that doing it my way has potential harm.
All my infused oils to be ingested stay in the fridge when not being used, with the exception of the CBD EVOO caps that will be used within a month. I can't see any reason to treat them any differently from other things that go rancid. Better safe than sorry. Of course, I also don't transplant or top autos ;).

My topicals are in bottles in the nightstand for months on end with no change in smell. But they are for external use only.

Happy Saturday all! :ciao:

Non-refined coconut will go rancid faster than refined as it has organics.

I'm also in the refrigeration camp.

This snippet from an article seems to mention it going bad..and bacteria...yuck!

Coconut oil stays fresh for months at room temperature, and bacteria or molds that eat it are uncommon and grow very, very slowly.Sep 25, 2019

Can You Use Coconut Oil As A Lube? Is It Vagina Safe?​

I've had food poisoning before and never wish to experience it again. Since I essentially "can" my oil (loosely lidded jar inside instant pot - it always comes out with the lid firmly attached to the point I have to pry it off with some force) I have no worries over losing terpenes or anything else in my particular situation - as a matter of fact I was told it was stronger than expected and quite effective. The organic material is strained out and I place the oil into capsules. These don't sit around longer than a month or two at most around here anyway, but perhaps we prepare things quite differently. For that matter if it works for you then keep doing it your way. I'm just not convinced, sans scientific evidence to the contrary, that doing it my way has potential harm.

you cant strain the organics out and retain what you want. it is at a near molecular level. would defeat the purpose.

it does and will have a shelf life though. but it is not indefinite.

i use almost the same methods for infusing oils for canna pills and other stuff.. however i make loads at a throw, and refridgerate after capping. i also keep a stock of infused oils in the fridge at all times, ready to be made in to final products. topicals, edibles, pills etc. also make infused vegetable glycerin. near identical process.

even the topicals i make have a shelf life. i make medicated body butters that technically should be refridgerated long term. i never do it, and have never had issue with those. they also have bees wax added as a stabilizer. even so i find they last past use, and don't go stale or have other issues before they are finished.

Thanks Shed and Kismet and Kirby!

That's 141.748 grams (post decarb) @15% THC in 1182.94ml of oil. At 85% efficiency that gets you to 15.28mg THC/ml oil.

Your are using 118.294ml of oil in your recipe, which represents 1807.5mg of THC, which you are splitting among 48 chocolate drops. 1807.5/48=37.6569mg THC per drop.
:thedoubletake: crazy how you do that so easily... :adore:

I have 4 ounces of Big Momma Cindy 99 decarbed and plan to make a topical for the hubby with it using the MBM. I plan to use grape seed/pumpkin seed/frac coconut oil. BM was the outdoor plant that had to be harvested a little early but I have tried the weed and it did get me high. Do you think the 4 ounces is enough with 1c grape seed, 1 c pumpkin, and approx 1/2 coconut oil? :thanks:

Coconut oil stays fresh for months at room temperature, and bacteria or molds that eat it are uncommon and grow very, very slowly.Sep 25, 2019
Was there supposed to be a link in there? I'm guessing that's coconut oil untouched in a jar, rather than cooked with organic material.
crazy how you do that so easily.
The mg/ml of THC is done with Oldbear's spreadsheet. The rest is just math.
I have 4 ounces of Big Momma Cindy 99 decarbed and plan to make a topical for the hubby with it using the MBM. I plan to use grape seed/pumpkin seed/frac coconut oil. BM was the outdoor plant that had to be harvested a little early but alive tried the weed and it did get me high. Do you think the 4 ounces is enough with 1c grape seed, 1 c pumpkin, and approx 1/2 coconut oil?
So you are using 4 oz of decarbed early harvest C99 and 2.5 cups of oil?

If we assume 15% THC (because everyone seems happy when I use that number)...
113.4g of weed
591.471ml of oil
80% efficiency (while we wait for the MB2)
23mg/ml THC

I don't think you need to be that high for a topical, so I would save the bud and only use 75g, which gets you around 15mg/ml.
I would have gone with :nomo: .

:cheesygrinsmiley:

full

outta infused grapeseed oils right now. the white stuff is a 2:1 palm/shea butter mix for medicated creams with infused grapeseed. adhd coco = thc coco lol :cheesygrinsmiley:

Was there supposed to be a link in there? I'm guessing that's coconut oil untouched in a jar, rather than cooked with organic material.
I didn't think anyone would want the actual link.
They talk about keeping it sterile by portioning off smaller amounts.

No double dipping with dirty hands or .....whatever.

If it's virgin oil before I use it...is it still after??

Works great btw.

I hope 100ppm is the sweet spot
I will be watching your trial intently. I noticed my next clone just started showing roots out of the rockwool so it will be a few weeks before my next attempt.

I stayed up into the wee hours of the morning researching the subject a bit more and came up with the following from Dutch Passion Seeds founder Henk Van Dalen. (no relation lol)

It is from a rival site so I will not mention or link, but offer this quote;

First why and how does gibberellic acid Promote Female Flowering?

Gibberellins are hormones that plants produce to regulate many phases of their growth. Several of the gibberellins, such
as GA3, 4, 5 and 7, induce male flowers when they are sprayed on female plants before they begin flowering. GA3, which is the gibberellin most commonly available commercially, is the most effective.

How to Use GA3 Properly?

Gibberellin must be used carefully. Lower doses result in fewer male flowers. Higher amounts have an inhibitory effect. Lightly spray the tops of the plant for five consecutive days and then force the plants to flower by increasing the uninterrupted dark period to 12 hours a day. The sprayed area will stretch a bit, but within two weeks, the first signs of male flowers will appear. They will be ripe and ready to release pollen in another two weeks.

For Best Results Use This Recipe to Create GA3:

use a solution of 0.01% (0.1 gram GA3 in a liter of distilled water).”

End quote

Back
Top Bottom