InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Pics from the weekend in a bit, but first:
Always our pleasure Shed!
And a pleasure to grow them. Thanks David!
I a vote for noxious please!
I'm okay with weed-noxious, but Cheese is where I draw the line. I haven't had a cat piss strain yet so we'll see if I'm okay with that!
A useless noob opinion:
When it comes to picking strains, we're in the same boat. :high-five:
I didn't find it useless. It was good to hear what you thought and why. I probably should have done the same.
You kids say the darnedest things. :)
Hey Shed, I’m on the edge of my seat! When will we find out the winners?
People still seem to be showing up at the polls, so I'll give it until Wednesday. It will also give me time for me to figure out how to calculate ranked voting!
:nomo:
Neither did I, come to think of it - I got inspired to drop a Banana Monkey seed into water today
Banana Monkey is like Hamburger Human!

Monday update y'all...the one where I do the post-stretch thin!

Sunday was warm and sunny and it was flip day 21, so time to take out all the stuff I don't want to trim (#nolarf), as well as forcing the plant to move the growth hormones to the buds at the ends of the branches that I left. Let's take a look at the before and after for the Colombian Gold 2:

Here is the pile of stuff I took off:

When you separate some of it out, you can see that it's not just larfy buds. There a lot of long branches that go as well. Here are some of the ones I could be bothered to pull out for show-and-tell!

Here is the Durban Poison before and after:

And because some folks ask me about this process when I go through it, I thought I would give an example as well as a description:

This was a lower branch that I decided to leave on the plant, but I only wanted the end of the branch to have buds on it, so I pulled off all the stuff further down, leaving only the last few inches of buds to keep bulking. I take off what I call the lowers of the lowers.

I don't recommend this as a thinning method to everyone, but if you don't want to spend a lot of time trimming larf and want to maximize top growth near the lights, it's definitely the way to go.

I have no idea whether I get a bigger harvest by leaving only the tops and stripping the fluff or whether I never make up in top growth what I lose when I trim, but I don't really care! I want the inside of the plant pretty empty (as you can see in the main before/after pics) which helps when I spray for bugs and lowers the chance of PM or rot because of the enhanced airflow.

By the way, after I did the thinning, everything got sprayed with the Safer's Insecticidal Soap spray, and washed off about 4 hours later. No effect on the pistils but positive effect on the aphids!

Finally, here are the final heights for @BeezLuiz's spreadsheet. The Durban Poison is topping out at 41":

And the Colombian Gold 2 is at 37":

They are still getting around 4.5g/gallon straight MC, not showing any signs of deficiencies, and they get 2.5 gallons each every third day (or at least they did before the thinning).

That's it for me today! Feel free to ask any questions that you think of, and tomorrow we'll take another look at the Candida GA3 experiment. I hope your weekend went well, and that the precautions you take will keep the virus from your door.

:peace:

I see you leave the fan leaves, but take the shoots. Interesting. I’ve always hated removing fan leaves so I don’t get to the shoots. Lots of larf on mine which is a pain. I end up throwing away most of the popcorn. I learn new things every day.

Finally, here are the final heights for @BeezLuiz's spreadsheet.
Here's the chart. Interesting that DP shrunk by half an inch. Maybe there has already been some super cropping happening. ;)
Sheds Growth 3.jpg

It appears that Colombian Gold stretched about 28%, and Durban Poison stretched about 21%. That actually lines up with what I typically get on my outdoor grow when Mother Nature does the flipping.

I see you leave the fan leaves, but take the shoots. Interesting. I’ve always hated removing fan leaves so I don’t get to the shoots. Lots of larf on mine which is a pain. I end up throwing away most of the popcorn. I learn new things every day.
Leaving the fans on is a technique I learned from @Graytail. It serves a few purposes including being a canary in a coal mine for N deficiencies (and the key to using MC), and giving the plants something to draw from if they get hungry in the middle of the night. Leaving them on also means the plant can grow flowers rather than regrowing fans.

Of course, the whole photosynthesis thing counts for something too!
Great update Shed, and of course the plants look great too!
Thank you MrS!
Here's the chart. Interesting that DP shrunk by half an inch. Maybe there has already been some super cropping happening. ;)
Sheds Growth 3.jpg

It appears that Colombian Gold stretched about 28%, and Durban Poison stretched about 21%. That actually lines up with what I typically get on my outdoor grow when Mother Nature does the flipping.
Thanks BL! I haven't touched them since last measurement, so maybe I'm just measuring to a different spot on the branches. It kinda looks like stretch stopped after 14 days on these, but I'm glad my stretch is in line with what you're seeing. Nice to know my plants have something in common with your trees. :cheesygrinsmiley:

If it’s not too late I’d like to vote for
1. Chiquita banana - cause it’s supposed to be one of the highest potency strains in the world.
2. Bubblegum - cause I’ve heard a lot of good things about the original breeder and the lineage in general.
And 3. Sour Diesel - cause my sour bubba is one of the best smokes I’ve ever had, homegrown or otherwise.

plants looking good as always Shed. Wish I could keep up on every page but my schedule is just too jam packed for the velocity your thread moves.

If it’s not too late I’d like to vote for
1. Chiquita banana - cause it’s supposed to be one of the highest potency strains in the world.
2. Bubblegum - cause I’ve heard a lot of good things about the original breeder and the lineage in general.
And 3. Sour Diesel - cause my sour bubba is one of the best smokes I’ve ever had, homegrown or otherwise.
Not all Chef! Thanks for the vote. I think I'll close the polls tomorrow night and post the final tally on Wednesday.

I think I'll close the polls tomorrow night and post the final tally on Wednesday.
Looks like I still have time to give my 2 cents. In no particular order:

* Sour Diesel (Still one of my favorite smokes. The one I grew a couple years ago was listed as 90% sativa. I would think NYC Diesel would be pretty similar to SD, so choose one or the other.)
* Jack Herer (It's a classic that is on my list to grow some day.)
* Amnesia Lemon Kush (What's not to like about a lemony amnesia kush?)

That Columbian is starting to show some colour, might be a pretty purple one
The purple one is the Durban Poison, and if it keeps going like this, it might be quite the stunner at harvest!
Thats cool never thought of having to regrow Fans/Plates leave Good Tip Thanks Plants look Good shed the trim done them good
Thanks sb! If you ever see folks do a heavy defoliation, they always remark at how the plant looks the same as before a week later. That's the plant saying "FU I needed those fans!" :)

Of course, in veg, stripping the lower growth can have the effect of moving new growth to the tips, so stripping the bottom leaves can be a good thing. I can't see it being good in flower though.
Looks like I still have time to give my 2 cents. In no particular order:
Since the votes are getting ranked in order of recommendation, yours will be whether you intended it or not. :cheesygrinsmiley: Thanks BL!

Back
Top Bottom