InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

hey guys, i just updated the mars-hydro cup journal. love to hear every once thought

I posted this over in Grandpa's QWET thread, but I thought I would put it here since not everyone here is there!

I'd like to pose a question, and it's based on the fact that I'd like my son to use a rosin vape pen rather than spend all his money on cartridges, as he does now:

If I am only going to go with one method of extraction and I want the highest return on my harvests, am I better off with a press or QWET? I know that a press leaves enough behind that folks often later run the pucks through QWET to get the leftovers, so if I went with QWET and a distiller to reclaim 75-80% of the alcohol for each run, would that the best way to maximize the return?

I would have to order Extractohol online because 190 proof alcohol isn't available in California, and if you get 5 gallons at a time it's ~$54/gallon. And tabletop distillers run in a large range from $70-250 (for some reason).

Any thoughts?

I can’t comment on rosin, never done it, but QWET should work about the same as QWISO which I do. My guess is that a solvent wash is going to have a higher return than pressing, and alcohols draw out more terpenes than any other solvent if memory serves. Been quite a time since I read many articles about extraction lol

I can’t comment on rosin, never done it, but QWET should work about the same as QWISO which I do. My guess is that a solvent wash is going to have a higher return than pressing, and alcohols draw out more terpenes than any other solvent if memory serves. Been quite a time since I read many articles about extraction lol
If I could get Everclear in CA I don't think I'd even ask the question, but the expense of having to buy the alcohol online every time I run out and have it shipped from wherever makes it less attractive to a single time press purchase (not counting the mesh bags and such).
Now you could make your own still for recovery. A member who had been MIA has made one quite simply.
Thanks smokey, but hard pass on that one :). I'd gladly pay for one before I start building a still!

I would say invest in a distiller(even tho' I haven't) they're relatively cheap on the Zon' and safer than hot plates...etc.( I would suggest upper middle of the road models) and I've read different reports of people getting good results using 151 proof rum...unless you're handy guy , a decent press can be pricey, ...just my .02...cheerz... :high-five: ...h00k...:hookah:

Sounds to me, after reading his method, that he didn’t ‘cook’ it near long enough (an hour is pretty damned quick) Mine cooks for about 12 hrs (sometimes longer if I forget about it :rofl:) with an extraction fan over the dish to draw away vapours and supply constant fresh air.

The result is something that resembles a consistency between taffy and hard candy depending on how long I cook it. Not sure what the ppms of ISO would be but highly doubt they would be as high as the MI state limits. Sometime when testing here is more readily accessible, I will have mine tested :)

Keep filling me with ideas guys because I love extracts. It’s the alcohol part that scares me. :popcorn:
The bursting into flames part?
I would say invest in a distiller(even tho' I haven't) they're relatively cheap on the Zon' and safer than hot plates...etc.( I would suggest upper middle of the road models) and I've read different reports of people getting good results using 151 proof rum...unless you're handy guy , a decent press can be pricey, ...just my .02...cheerz...
If I went the QWET way I would definitely get a distiller. No reason to have costs evaporate into thin air when they can be recaptured. I wonder if @Derbybud knows how many times you would need to run Bacardi 151 through to end up at 190 proof. That stuff isn't cheap here either.
Sounds to me, after reading his method, that he didn’t ‘cook’ it near long enough (an hour is pretty damned quick) Mine cooks for about 12 hrs (sometimes longer if I forget about it :rofl:) with an extraction fan over the dish to draw away vapours and supply constant fresh air.

The result is something that resembles a consistency between taffy and hard candy depending on how long I cook it. Not sure what the ppms of ISO would be but highly doubt they would be as high as the MI state limits. Sometime when testing here is more readily accessible, I will have mine tested :)
Interesting, thanks Celt! I just send a pricing request to my lab to find out what residual iso testing would cost.

2 more times would yield you closer to 190 with a pot still. I'm not sure with the still you're using. Going by the numbers I'd say you should yield 75% minimum output. Hope that helps and make sure you shout out anytime you need my input.

Oh 120 proof should yield ya 60% output
Thanks Derby! For someone who hardly seems to post anywhere (that I see), you are always right here when I call. :adore:

I'd be using one of those kitchen distillers they sell on amazon, with a container that heats up and a container for collecting. I haven't really done any research on them yet as I'm early days in considering options, but I figure if I reclaim the alcohol in the side container at 180ºF, then what's left in the main container is water. Have I got that right?

Just to add to your arsenal Shed,

A while back, I was looking for molecular sieves to remove water in order to get ethanol to 99%+ from the 95% that can be achieved with columns. I came across a research article (surprising the research for purifying alcohol :rofl:) about using tapioca starch as a reusable sieve achieving the 99%.

I will see if I can find it again if you are interested

Keep filling me with ideas guys because I love extracts. It’s the alcohol part that scares me. :popcorn:
The house I bought 20 yrs ago had a kitchen fire. I knew the guys living in the house then. Idiots. They figured they would make some oil out of trim using IPA on the stove top. Well when the vapor hit the top of the pot and then flowed down to the hot element it flashed back to the pot. Needless to say they they did some time in the old slammer.

Back
Top Bottom