InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Thanks Nev! The goal is certainly to end up at basically water only for the GF in the TCK. I can easily move back to MC for the Red Dragon as I have jugs already mixed.

Seems a shame to call it quits on the hydrobuddy/Blue Planet experiment though. Maybe I'll go back to MC for a while and see if the leaves work themselves out and then go back to mixing and matching. Then I can see if I can improve on the MC formula, which does seem to be less than ideal in flower.

Unless it's bugs, or Carcass' unknown unknowns...

Well it's quite possible it's a Boron def. It doesn't need to show all the symptoms, since there are different stages of progression.
The fact that 3 big players have an effect on Boron as well may increase the effect. I'm referring to N, K, and Ca. Since there isn't much in there, and those three elements reduce the availability of Boron, it's a good place to start.

Of course a simple slurry test may also be in order before changing all kinds of things. I've missed a lot so maybe you did this already, knowing I would ask.

Well it's quite possible it's a Boron def. It doesn't need to show all the symptoms, since there are different stages of progression.
The fact that 3 big players have an effect on Boron as well may increase the effect. I'm referring to N, K, and Ca. Since there isn't much in there, and those three elements reduce the availability of Boron, it's a good place to start.

Of course a simple slurry test may also be in order before changing all kinds of things. I've missed a lot so maybe you did this already, knowing I would ask.
Thanks MrS! I haven't done a slurry test as these were just transplanted into fresh (though outdated) ProMix HP. If I ran a slurry test it would be on that, as there are no roots in it yet to have changed the pH since transplant. No way could I get a slurry from the 1 gallon media as it's too full of roots.

Are you interested in the pH of the transplant media?

noticed that there was no boron in my mix
So I was doing a little research. GF contains both kelp meal and alfalfa meal. Both of those contain trace elements of boron, though I don’t know how much. So maybe you do have some boron in there, maybe just not enough. There may be other ingredients in GF that have boron also. I just looked at those two.

Kelp contains more than 60 trace elements used by plants, including iron, copper, zinc, molybdenum, boron, manganese, cobalt and alginic acid, to name a few.

Alfalfa meal is a wonderful organic soil amendment to use to replace lost nitrogen in your soil.
It also contains lesser needed nutrients, but not lesser important things like calcium, magnesium, sulfur, Manganese, iron, copper, boron, and zinc.

Oh, I almost forgot, Happy 4/20!

Congrats on the new baby, Shed!

I'm focusing on the positive today. :Rasta:

Happy 4/20 one and all! :party:

If you're in the states and have any to spare, go spend some of that Covid recovery money on some US stuff. :thumb:

At least two of the three for the Summer Grow will get to call 4/20 their birthday, as this what what the Jack Herer from @Weed Seeds Express looked like this morning:

And it was time to plant the Sour G. Get a load of this tap root!

Take off the peat cover...it's worth the 3 seconds (pardon the blurry pic...I was more concerned about not dropping the peat than getting the focus right!):

Sour G planted in used ProMix HP with added Dynomyco, day 1:

I watered it with 80ºF tap water around the edges, all the way to the bottom.

It has also been a week since I took the cuttings, so it was time to tip the domes back a bit:

Tomorrow they get tipped back a bit more. And I doubt the Candida top (front right) will make it.

Here are some close-ups of leaves on the Spring two:

Strange as it seems, it looks more and more like a boron deficiency to me. Hopefully the addition of MC will solve it in short order. We'll see...

And finally, look what arrived in time for 4/20:

No one smokes un-ground flower in my house anymore, and the 2" grinder was just too small and hard on the hands, so I got a 3" and a 4" grinder from Amazon. I'll use the 4" one and if my wife or daughter need to grind they'll probably use the 3". I'll let you know how they work after I do some grinding tonight!

I'm hoping to have the Chiquita Banana up when I get home so I can get the two WSE seeds planted before the end of the day. I'll keep you posted. :cool:

On to the quotes:
So I was doing a little research. GF contains both kelp meal and alfalfa meal. Both of those contain trace elements of boron, though I don’t know how much. So maybe you do have some boron in there, maybe just not enough. There may be other ingredients in GF that have boron also. I just looked at those two.
Thanks for doing all that research BigD! No wonder you're nominated for MOTM. :high-five:

I'm hoping that once the GF finally kicks in any number of deficiencies on the TCK will be solved. In the meantime, MC.
:woohoo: celebrating :happy-birthday::theband:Happy 420:high-five::cheer::circle-of-love::bongrip::bongrip::bongrip:
Thanks dynamo...back atcha and happy 71st!
Happy 420!!
Thanks Tommy! Make it a good day. :)
Congrats on the new baby, Shed! I'm focusing on the positive today.
Perfect day for it. Thanks GDB!
Nope, but it sounds like all is ok down there by your post You added MC now? Are you just waiting now to see if things look different?
Thanks MrS! My wife gave them each 4.5g/gallon MC yesterday afternoon, so now I'll wait and see if the new growth looks better. I don't know if the deficient leaves recover though.

My wife gave them each 4.5g/gallon MC yesterday afternoon
Wow! :bravo:

Mrs. GDB, who only medicates when we are vacationing, mostly only gripes about the odors and "all these buckets!" :laughtwo:

Thanks, though I'm sure GDB has a better idea.
And I'm sure that you are the only member that has drawn that dubious conclusion!

I like your way, but I don't have a matchbox. :laughtwo:

Iron def is really the only issue that recovers when treated. You can stop it, but eventually the damaged ones will die off.

I don't think the twisty ones will be an issue as it's an early stage symptom. Any that have rusted or looked damaged will be the non recoverable ones.
Thanks MrS, it's nice when you have time to be here. You're missed when you're not around!

I'm glad I caught it in the early stage, and you were spot-on when you picked up on the lack of boron in my mix. :welldone:
Mine either. Those are some nice looking grinders. I like the bigger ones too.
Yeah, that 4" one is massive! I'll test them both out, but I think I'm going to like the finger dents in the bigger one.
Your very welcome. Just trying to do my part to help out when I’m able.
:thanks:
Wow! Mrs. GDB, who only medicates when we are vacationing, mostly only gripes about the odors and "all these buckets!" :laughtwo:
Considering that Mrs Shed is the main consumer of my harvests, she is very cooperative for the stuff that needs to be done. She's also the one who usually brings the plants in every afternoon when the sun goes down.

Only time she ever griped was summer of 2019 when I had way too many plants.
And I'm sure that you are the only member that has drawn that dubious conclusion! I like your way, but I don't have a matchbox.
I'm not sure that one would have occurred to me, but since you had already mentioned it further down the page it was an easy call.

I am surprised you haven't come up with a mini-altoid-tin version of your own though, but hiring seems to be tough in your shop lately. ;)

Wednesday update with cuttings!

Much brighter today and therefore warm enough to get some topping done, so here are the before and afters.

Candida topped on day 59:

Tin Can Kush 1 topped on day 61:

I don't often have luck cloning tops, so I also took off the lowest nodes on both and put them in a cup together. I'll have three possible clones of each:

I sprayed them with citric acid because I saw some PM on the TCK, and put the domes on:

They sit under the CFL with a piece of paper on top to cut the light:

For those interested in my cloning technique, I use the beez0404 method. I made some adjustments to mine: I use Dip'n Grow cloning liquid, I just soak the ProMix HP in distilled water for a few minutes before I cut, and I don't start to de-dome for a week. Then I just tip them back a bit more every day. I'll show that when it happens!

I sprayed all the plants down with citric acid when I put them outside. I also saw some aphids coming back so tomorrow they'll get Safer's Soap spray and a rinse an hour later.

My son just got his first Moderna vaccine this morning, so now we've all had our first shots...on our way!

Have a bright and sunny day regardless of the weather. :ciao:
I like the shift to a week and tip. Also the light de-strengthener. Adopted!

Thanks MrS, it's nice when you have time to be here. You're missed when you're not around!

I'm glad I caught it in the early stage, and you were spot-on when you picked up on the lack of boron in my mix. :welldone:

Yeah, that 4" one is massive! I'll test them both out, but I think I'm going to like the finger dents in the bigger one.

:thanks:

Considering that Mrs Shed is the main consumer of my harvests, she is very cooperative for the stuff that needs to be done. She's also the one who usually brings the plants in every afternoon when the sun goes down.

Only time she ever griped was summer of 2019 when I had way too many plants.

I'm not sure that one would have occurred to me, but since you had already mentioned it further down the page it was an easy call.

I am surprised you haven't come up with a mini-altoid-tin version of your own though, but hiring seems to be tough in your shop lately. ;)
but hiring seems to be tough in your shop lately.
You don't know the half of it, brother! Between my assistant, Joan, who I suspect is working from the inside and what's-his-name lurking from afar, I'm too nervous to hire even temporary help. :laughtwo:

Back
Top Bottom