InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

I e
Thanks flash! I haven't checked the soil lately (did you do the old standard slurry test?). My soil is usually in the 6-7 range but I will check it this weekend. I think I'm going to replant it either way but I'll check the new soil first to make sure I'm not recreating any problems!

I also wonder if the shape of this pot with the curve inward toward the bottom is creating a "compression zone" that is keeping the soil compacted down at the bottom and keeping it from drying out completely.

I edited my post with pictures. Take a look (I had to go to older pictures and find the good dates to share what happened in the most accurate way)

Twice I've had young plants ( always seedlings ) that just didn't seem strong enough to thrive and I've culled them, after trying to figure out their issues. It just happened to me with a Black cream auto. I started 4, 3 are doing great and one was weak from the start. It never seemed to take off. Checked run off. Tried few things for a couple of weeks. Then decided it's never going to produce and sent it to the compost

Twice I've had young plants ( always seedlings ) that just didn't seem strong enough to thrive and I've culled them, after trying to figure out their issues. It just happened to me with a Black cream auto. I started 4, 3 are doing great and one was weak from the start. It never seemed to take off. Checked run off. Tried few things for a couple of weeks. Then decided it's never going to produce and sent it to the compost
I'm not ready to give up on anything yet, but if I had dropped 4 seeds and three were fine and one was a dud I'd probably replace the dud with something else!
1/8 of an inch should be plenty. Just a fresh cut.
Will do Derby!
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks @flashmp3, you were spot on regarding the soil pH for the Haze Xtreme...too damn high!:

I tested the soil it was going into and it was 7.1 (the old AK-47 soil). Here are the roots, so transplant was needed anyway:

I put it into a 7 gallon cloth pot with whatever Mykos I had left over:

Then I mixed up some nutes for it:
3 ml cal/mag+
2 tsp Grow Big
½ tsp Great White
¼ tsp Armor Si
pH was 5.0 going in and 6.8 coming out. Runoff TDS was high because it occurred to me that the soil still has leftover flower nutes from the AK! I probably should have rinsed it first but oh well. I'll keep the TDS low for a few waters while it flushes out the old.

Sour G also got fed this morning, because it looked like this:

It perked up within the hour :).

Nap time! Have a great Saturday everyone. :slide:

I'm not ready to give up on anything yet, but if I had dropped 4 seeds and three were fine and one was a dud I'd probably replace the dud with something else!

Will do Derby!
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks @flashmp3, you were spot on regarding the soil pH for the Haze Xtreme...too damn high!:

I tested the soil it was going into and it was 7.1 (the old AK-47 soil). Here are the roots, so transplant was needed anyway:

I put it into a 7 gallon cloth pot with whatever Mykos I had left over:

Then I mixed up some nutes for it:
3 ml cal/mag+
2 tsp Grow Big
½ tsp Great White
¼ tsp Armor Si
pH was 5.0 going in and 6.8 coming out. Runoff TDS was high because it occurred to me that the soil still has leftover flower nutes from the AK! I probably should have rinsed it first but oh well. I'll keep the TDS low for a few waters while it flushes out the old.

Sour G also got fed this morning, because it looked like this:

It perked up within the hour :).

Nap time! Have a great Saturday everyone. :slide:

So glad I could help you! They should bounce back really quickly!

Well the soil seemed to be the issue with the haze. Where is everybody? I was busy sorry bud.

The cloner sounds cool. Not sure the tiny difference in cut out size should matter.

Heres my clone suggestion. Take new ones lol.

That sunset pic is a beauty there buddy.

Yeah darn stanks and their stankberry! I feel the same way about urbs nug. It's one thing when your nugs great, and another when the photographer is darn talented. Glad you entered though. That plant is a winner contest title or not.

Hope you have a good day brother. I'm pretty beat, and sunburned. (I know dad, I'll do better tomorrow) its mainly my face, which has an awesome tan line now :cool:

Well the soil seemed to be the issue with the haze. Where is everybody? I was busy sorry bud.

The cloner sounds cool. Not sure the tiny difference in cut out size should matter.

Heres my clone suggestion. Take new ones lol.

That sunset pic is a beauty there buddy.

Yeah darn stanks and their stankberry! I feel the same way about urbs nug. It's one thing when your nugs great, and another when the photographer is darn talented. Glad you entered though. That plant is a winner contest title or not.

Hope you have a good day brother. I'm pretty beat, and sunburned. (I know dad, I'll do better tomorrow) its mainly my face, which has an awesome tan line now :cool:
I know Them, it's been kinda quiet here lately. I'm not sure there's much left to take off that Sour G so I may have to re purpose what I've already taken.

I'll do a tutorial on the cloninator as soon as it's done. I got a 2" hole saw but have to charge the battery for the drill.

Thanks on the AK. I'll try again another month if I don't come up with enough this time.

Happy Father's Day tomorrow and set a good example for the little one...wear sunscreen :).

Just doing a drive-by. If ya'll know me,, I tend to look at pics and never learn to read.. So I might spit something out that's done been said. You using your our mix soil? But that is atad high. You might wanna sweeten it with a tad on lime. Oh duh I just read what ya did and sounds corrected.

But alot of people using a mix that runs high PH, we used lime in my truck patches back home. But these were larger veggie gardens and we used the same plot for years.. After awhile fert buildup raises PH to high for alot of the veggies. We had one of the roadside trucks with cases of seasonal shit.

GL I know she'll pull thru. High PH fucks alot of nutrient uptakes. I guess I should read some huh?

Just doing a drive-by. If ya'll know me,, I tend to look at pics and never learn to read.. So I might spit something out that's done been said. You using your our mix soil? But that is atad high. You might wanna sweeten it with a tad on lime. Oh duh I just read what ya did and sounds corrected.

But alot of people using a mix that runs high PH, we used lime in my truck patches back home. But these were larger veggie gardens and we used the same plot for years.. After awhile fert buildup raises PH to high for alot of the veggies. We had one of the roadside trucks with cases of seasonal shit.

GL I know she'll pull thru. High PH fucks alot of nutrient uptakes. I guess I should read some huh?
Thanks for stopping by Norcali. I start with Dr Earth Pot of Gold which is pH balanced so something made it wacky. But thanks to @flashmp3 I will be testing my soil before every transplant! If I mixed my own soil I'd have to be living somewhere else...no room here :).

I'll be putting up my cloninator tutorial Sunday...I'll try to keep the words to a minimum ;).

Well back in the old shed, I was raised up in we didn't learn our three R's. I tried some of that soil once. It was different to me,, but hell you been doing good with it.

Bad ph killed my plants twice! I think it s really the most important stuff to check as plants can't absord certain nutrients if ph is not in range of uptake

Right on Kismet! I check nute mixtures without fail, but I have been under the false assumption the soil buffers pH and doesn't vary so wildly. Lesson learned that's for sure.

This makes me think of different stuffs. I bought a biobizz Coco mix which is ph 6.2. In coco nutrients uptake happens between around ph 5.5 and 6.2. Ph tends to increase in grow mediums. So I m wondering if the adjusted coco to ph 6.2 wasn't done on purpose. In fact i m thinking maybe if you water with ph 5.5 water, the substrate will tend to increase to 6.2? Just a thought.... This would be great as it s good for plants to take nutrients along with ph sliding slightly between 5.5 and 6.2 between waterings

I think you are talking LOS there or super soil shed. The salt based nutrients require a far more accurate ph, whereas in a high microbial environment, the microorganisms work with the plant and can withstand larger ranges.

I thought it was soil generally since my soil has microbes in them, but either way I'm going to start aiming lower than the 6.7 I've been doing.

INCOMING PICTURE TUTORIAL!

I have been talking about building this aeroponic cloner since last fall ... @The rooster even offered me baskets for it (I didn't take him up but thanks for the offer!). It was time to give it a go. I've dubbed it The Cloninator after all the inventions of Dr Doofenshmirtz from the kids' show Phineas and Ferb that we used to watch. He named everything with the ending of -inator.

Lots of pics so that @Norcaliwood can follow along :).

I started with a 2 gallon bucket and lid from Home Depot. I got this pump from Amazon:

Which came with these adapters:

None of which will connect to the sprinkler head, so I had to buy these in brass at Home Depot because they don't carry PVC smaller than ½:

So when it was connected it looked like this:

Next I centered the pump in the bucket:

And laid out the 2" baskets from Amazon (they came with the inserts):
31hUGZ0wkRL.jpg

Hole drilling was next. Here is a tip I got from youtube...after you drill the center pilot hole, run the hole saw backward and it makes a much cleaner cut. Here are the cuts and a notch for the wire:

Baskets inserted with the bottoms cut off. It should keep the roots from getting tangled:

Finished bucket with the neoprene inserts:

I used barbecue skewers to test the spray:

Maximum wetness! I filled the bucket about ¼ full (so around 64 ounces) and added 4 ounce H2O2 since I don't want to buy anything else:

I needed a timer that would do short intervals, so I got this one and set it for 1 minute on / 5 minutes off. I may make that interval longer after a couple of days. Setting the timer was a lot easier than some of the reviews on Amazon:

I moved all the Sour G cuttings from the clone box (and had to double one up). Only this one had any roots:

Since I had plenty of Sour G clones in the clone box to move, I needed to cut one from some undergrowth on the Gold Leaf. It is absolutely in flower under there! In case I forget, it's the one with the wire.

I hung a single 23w 6500K CFL over the bucket and put it in the bike shed. I hope they're okay with the cool temps we have today. It even drizzled earlier :eek:.

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there, and to all those whose dads are still with us, tell them I say hi!

Back
Top Bottom