InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Sounds like a plan! Blewhiller has a ton of them trying to make their cacooons kn his plants. Damn things are everywhere!

Nice cloner Shed! I think I'll source those parts out, my spinny things were very weak and sometime were jammed up and didn't twirl spray, this looks to eliminate any moving parts. Thanks!!!
Go for it Lowded! Simple and effective, at least I'm hoping for the effective part :).

Works in a 5 gallon bucket as well if you want a few more baskets in the top. Might need a short extender between the sprinkler head and the pump...might not though.

Did you find bud worms/ caterpillar? They are a big problem outdoors in alot of areas. I found the best thing for them is Captin Jacks Dead Bug Brew, with Spinosad. I spray with it once about 3 weeks before harvest,, and haven't found any since. The stuff works for up to 21 days before dissipating. And creates a horrible death for those suckers.

Now if you have lots of caterpillars,,,, I wood suggest bud washing.
Not that I'm a fan of bud washing,, but I could see where that could be a good reason to wash them. I harvested plants before that when you hang them the next morning you wake to find 20-30 of these worms climbing down with the silks off the dead plant. Now them bugger do shit alot on the plant. Hense bud washing?

GL with the cloner. I woodn't ever suggest letting roots dry out any shape. They need 100% R/H 24/7. Least what I've been doing. I've f'ed up before,, I tend to do that alot,,, and had my pump shuts down for acouple hours,,, my clones will show me how unhappy they are. I know your not going to that extreme,, I don't but had forgotten to turn the unit back on after looking in on them. 6 hours. Damn near killed every one of them. And they had afew roots started. My first homemade shit had a white bucket,, it didn't seem to matter. They rooted. I understand about keeping things dark, but as fast as clones come out, 2-weeks max, I don't think color matters. Some of the top end larger cloners on the market are white. But if I was going to grow larger ones in it, I'd sure want it to be darkened,, least the walls, or the bucket in your case.

I myself like to use white pots if possible. I prefer everything to be white in my flower room. Any dark object absorbs light rather then reflect it back in the grow. But my larger white finish pots bottoms are all about worn out from dragging them around on the ground and my cheap ass switched back to the regular black plastic. Which I don't like them,, on them hot days black pots get extra hot and can bake roots. And I have a yard full of concrete to set them on. So the roots get hot out there in dead summer sun. Even when I have acouple boards under them to stand them off from the concrete.

Did you find bud worms/ caterpillar? They are a big problem outdoors in alot of areas. I found the best thing for them is Captin Jacks Dead Bug Brew, with Spinosad. I spray with it once about 3 weeks before harvest,, and haven't found any since. The stuff works for up to 21 days before dissipating. And creates a horrible death for those suckers.

Now if you have lots of caterpillars,,,, I wood suggest bud washing.
Not that I'm a fan of bud washing,, but I could see where that could be a good reason to wash them. I harvested plants before that when you hang them the next morning you wake to find 20-30 of these worms climbing down with the silks off the dead plant. Now them bugger do shit alot on the plant. Hense bud washing?

GL with the cloner. I woodn't ever suggest letting roots dry out any shape. They need 100% R/H 24/7. Least what I've been doing. I've f'ed up before,, I tend to do that alot,,, and had my pump shuts down for acouple hours,,, my clones will show me how unhappy they are. I know your not going to that extreme,, I don't but had forgotten to turn the unit back on after looking in on them. 6 hours. Damn near killed every one of them. And they had afew roots started. My first homemade shit had a white bucket,, it didn't seem to matter. They rooted. I understand about keeping things dark, but as fast as clones come out, 2-weeks max, I don't think color matters. Some of the top end larger cloners on the market are white. But if I was going to grow larger ones in it, I'd sure want it to be darkened,, least the walls, or the bucket in your case.

I myself like to use white pots if possible. I prefer everything to be white in my flower room. Any dark object absorbs light rather then reflect it back in the grow. But my larger white finish pots bottoms are all about worn out from dragging them around on the ground and my cheap ass switched back to the regular black plastic. Which I don't like them,, on them hot days black pots get extra hot and can bake roots. And I have a yard full of concrete to set them on. So the roots get hot out there in dead summer sun. Even when I have acouple boards under them to stand them off from the concrete.
Straight up caterpillars, like the inchworm type. Bud washing didn't kill them. I'm going to spray the rest of the plant with BT to kill them when they come out to eat. I'm not seeing any chewed leaves, but as a precaution.

The white bucket looked nice but I've heard lightproof is better. I'm not worried about radiant heat off that one CFL, it's not like I have a grow room worth of wattage and certainly never outside. Definitely won't let it get even close to dry on those stems. I'm happy with 1/5 if the water temp stays in range. Everything looked okay this morning with no dome on them so it must be doing something right :).

Thanks Norcali!

The washing won't kill them,, just remove any shit they leave behind. Yea them inchworms are what I call bud worms. Same everywhere.

I've not tried BT, the Spinosad been working for me for years.. Ain't broke don't fix. I hear BT works tho.

Super pictutorial on The Cloninator :thumb:

of Dr Doofenshmirtz from the kids' show Phineas and Ferb that we used to watch. He named everything with the ending of -inator.

That had me smiling and adding -inator to all number of things for quite some time after :)

Bummer about the budworms - I remember a couple. Saw a little bird catch one and eat it once!

Super pictutorial on The Cloninator :thumb:
That had me smiling and adding -inator to all number of things for quite some time after :)
Bummer about the budworms - I remember a couple. Saw a little bird catch one and eat it once!
I hadn't done a tutorial in a while and it was about damn time :). I doubt a bird would have gotten these caterpillars, they were pretty well tucked away. I sprayed the plant with BT before I put it in the shed for the night under the Mars 300.

I thought it was soil generally since my soil has microbes in them, but either way I'm going to start aiming lower than the 6.7 I've been doing.

INCOMING PICTURE TUTORIAL!

I have been talking about building this aeroponic cloner since last fall ... @The rooster even offered me baskets for it (I didn't take him up but thanks for the offer!). It was time to give it a go. I've dubbed it The Cloninator after all the inventions of Dr Doofenshmirtz from the kids' show Phineas and Ferb that we used to watch. He named everything with the ending of -inator.

Lots of pics so that @Norcaliwood can follow along :).

I started with a 2 gallon bucket and lid from Home Depot. I got this pump from Amazon:

Which came with these adapters:

None of which will connect to the sprinkler head, so I had to buy these in brass at Home Depot because they don't carry PVC smaller than ½:

So when it was connected it looked like this:

Next I centered the pump in the bucket:

And laid out the 2" baskets from Amazon (they came with the inserts):

Hole drilling was next. Here is a tip I got from youtube...after you drill the center pilot hole, run the hole saw backward and it makes a much cleaner cut. Here are the cuts and a notch for the wire:

Baskets inserted with the bottoms cut off. It should keep the roots from getting tangled:

Finished bucket with the neoprene inserts:

I used barbecue skewers to test the spray:

Maximum wetness! I filled the bucket about ¼ full (so around 64 ounces) and added 4 ounce H2O2 since I don't want to buy anything else:

I needed a timer that would do short intervals, so I got this one and set it for 1 minute on / 5 minutes off. I may make that interval longer after a couple of days. Setting the timer was a lot easier than some of the reviews on Amazon:

I moved all the Sour G cuttings from the clone box (and had to double one up). Only this one had any roots:

Since I had plenty of Sour G clones in the clone box to move, I needed to cut one from some undergrowth on the Gold Leaf. It is absolutely in flower under there! In case I forget, it's the one with the wire.

I hung a single 23w 6500K CFL over the bucket and put it in the bike shed. I hope they're okay with the cool temps we have today. It even drizzled earlier :eek:.

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there, and to all those whose dads are still with us, tell them I say hi!

That's a great looking clone bucket Shed. I have a feeling your clone game is about to go up for sure.

That's a heavy trimming gr8! Did you do it for airflow and light penetration or just because you thought you could use some finger hash?

I find it hard to believe that this company would replace a $9 meter when it breaks out of warranty (with almost perfect timing!), but I'll see if I can find their info. Not worth sending back if that's what they require though.

Bodies are weird, greenhouses are great, and the AK harvest is headed nicely toward the cure :). Thanks for checking in!:green_heart:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a quick worm bin update. Besides the thousands of fruit flies, other flies, beetles, and other creatures, there are indeed still some worms in there! I dug around to see what was going on and found some. Thanks @Blew Hiller! I also found that the water had drained out the holes I punched, which is good. Here is what it looks like after I turned it over:

And in the pitch black, there are sprouts growing out of potato peelings! :eek: Obviously doesn't take much to grow potatoes if you can do it in the dark from just a peel:

There is still a load of veggie pieces in there (skins, carrot shavings, broccoli, etc.) so I don't have any idea when or how you take out the castings (or distinguish the castings from the soil I used to put on top to keep the flies down - I don't do that any more because it was basically just turning into a container of soil).

At least there are some worms in there though!

It's a start-stop-start work week for me because we drive up to get my daughter from school on Wednesday, drive back Thursday, and back to work on Friday. I'd have taken Friday off but need the time at work to catch up on all your updates I'll have missed ;).

If you have any half inch fencing, you can screen your vermi compost through it and put all the bigger food scraps that haven't fully broken down into your next bin of soil wen you are done for further break down.

Generally with vermi-composting you don't separate the castings...you leave them in your soil (part of the reason along with the worm pee that vermi-composted soil is so good).

If you have any half inch fencing, you can screen your vermi compost through it and put all the bigger food scraps that haven't fully broken down into your next bin of soil wen you are done for further break down.
Generally with vermi-composting you don't separate the castings...you leave them in your soil (part of the reason along with the worm pee that vermi-composted soil is so good).
So no ¼" mesh shaking? That's what I've seen in videos as well. I want to harvest the castings to use for top dressing rather than use the whole thing as potting soil.

Back
Top Bottom