InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

I for one have been following along and can’t wait for the results! Makes sense to me so far. Except someone up there mentioned strain dependence, I gotta go more with pheno dependence. All regions in the world experience drought. Weed growing in the driest regions would just take longer to reallocate resources. Strong phenos would make for extra sticky, weak ones extra dead.

Does it dry out the flowers as well eventually?
Yes.
dead-blue-dramatic-jpg.2269140

Ahoy There,

1633786597264.png

Please notice that large sun leaves are not utilized for our measurements. I am not doing a very good job splaining if we are still on LWA. When I take the measurements I look for the angle shown in this diagram Caplan provided. If you read his study he will tell us "New, fully expanded leaves on a side-branch from the first internode were selected for measurement, and petioles were marked with colored tape for future measurement (Fig. 1). The angle between the center of the middle leaflet and the stem from which it originates was measured."

This is not to say that the second internode cannot be measured. He chooses the lowest branch, I like several tiers to be included in my readings. I also do not include the entire petiole connection to the leaf as the readings become nearly impossible to gauge on a well vegged and sparingly defoliated plant.

This is how I take the readings.
1633786645974.png

Caplan measurements would call these about AROUND 88 to 90 DEGRESS original and the reading with shed pulling it down is about 140. LWA accumulated from pulling is around 50 degrees. In this example you would have reached your fertigation trigger of 45 degrees.

I really hope this helps clear up any misunderstanding.

Thanks GB! I'm sure some varieties are more drought tolerant than others based on where they originated. And I've certainly established that some have petioles shaped in a way that makes it darn hard to calculate wilt angle!

Howdy Krissi and :welcome: to my perpetual journal! Luckily GDB just asked the same question about it so here's what I told him:

Any and all questions welcome, including ones comparing Terpinator to re-re-distilled Everclear.

I am now! Originally I thought what you thought:

Until Maritimer set me straight.
Thanks as always Shed! Hi GDB, Felipe, and Maritimer! If you all are in on a feed, I know I'm gonna have to stop in and see what all the talks about! Thanks guys!

First off, I love those trichome pictures! :green_heart: The trics are clouding up nicely.

The Sour G experiment is like watching a scary movie -- with my hands over my face. I'm watching it, but just through the slits between my fingers. :nervous-guy:
The angle between the center of the middle leaflet and the stem from which it originates was measured."
Here's my take on this topic:
LWA.jpg

Hi @BeezLuiz
You are close to right. lol
except you must do the turgid measurement before drought when she is happy and that begins your zero point. Wilt at turgid is considered zero and every degree of change from that is LWA.

hope shed don't get mad at me for bombing his gig

Damn It got 4 pages behine !! But have read it all and this will be very interesting to see at the end . I am thankful for shed having enough weed in the freeze and Growing to do the experiment / witch is pretty weird but i do get it as to stress the plant in to making more fuel to try and keep itself alive .. Damn that burnt plant GBD showed needs a party !! :theband::lot-o-toke:

Morning folks and welcome to the Saturday wilt update!

Let's start with a pretty plant, so here is the Chiquita Banana from @Weed Seeds Express today on flip day 48:

Fall in Los Angeles (or a phosphorus deficiency)!

Moving on to the wilted Sour G, this morning on drought day 6 (watered on Sunday so I counted Monday as day 1):

I watered it this morning because a) I'm thinking that the measuring angles have been wrong all along and b) the sugar leaves were starting to die. I'll post another pic of it tonight to see what has recovered, but I'm pretty sure that very few fans will regain signs of life.

After reading in Caplan's paper what Maritimer quoted above ("The angle between the center of the middle leaflet and the stem from which it originates was measured.") I believe that Felipe and BL are drawing the diagrams correctly and that the top narrow angle I've been looking at is wrong. Caplan doesn't mention measuring the angle of the petiole and doesn't call it the Petiole Wilt Angle, so Felipe's drawing here and BL's above seem to be more accurate to Caplan's quote.

So we'll see how this finishes out together, but I'm thinking that three or four days would have been the maximum for this plant, and that is because it's grown outside rather than in a controlled environment. I also wonder if the plant would be able to go through all the resin-building in that short amount of time. Later I'll go back through the pics and see if I can see what day would have been closest.

Quotes:
I for one have been following along and can’t wait for the results! Makes sense to me so far. Except someone up there mentioned strain dependence, I gotta go more with pheno dependence. All regions in the world experience drought. Weed growing in the driest regions would just take longer to reallocate resources. Strong phenos would make for extra sticky, weak ones extra dead.
I'm sure some phenos offer greater drought resistance, but varieties originating in the tropics rarely experience drought and would be less likely to endure it for as long as one from an arid climate.
Of course! I should have remembered that. :)
Please notice that large sun leaves are not utilized for our measurements.
The large sun leaves are exactly what Caplan uses in his diagram though. :hmmmm:
The angle between the center of the middle leaflet and the stem from which it originates was measured.
This, without a diagram from Caplan, is the crux of the biscuit, and why gauging it is so difficult. Personally, I don't know where the center of the middle leaflet is.
I really hope this helps clear up any misunderstanding.
Nope!
Thanks as always Shed! Hi GDB, Felipe, and Maritimer! If you all are in on a feed, I know I'm gonna have to stop in and see what all the talks about! Thanks guys!
It's a lovely group of folks here. :green_heart:
First off, I love those trichome pictures! The trics are clouding up nicely.
Thanks BL! Sitting on my hands thanks to you. :)
The Sour G experiment is like watching a scary movie -- with my hands over my face. I'm watching it, but just through the slits between my fingers.
Me too! I had trouble sleeping last night like I had just watched Poltergeist. :eek:
Here's my take on this topic:
And I've come around to your way of thinking.
Damn It got 4 pages behine !! But have read it all and this will be very interesting to see at the end . I am thankful for shed having enough weed in the freeze and Growing to do the experiment / witch is pretty weird but i do get it as to stress the plant in to making more fuel to try and keep itself alive
It's been a bit of a posting fury lately with this drought experiment going on. I'm glad you're up to date now, and I hope I can even tell the difference in the final product when it's all over!

Morning folks and welcome to the Saturday wilt update!

Let's start with a pretty plant, so here is the Chiquita Banana from @Weed Seeds Express today on flip day 48:

Moving on to the wilted Sour G, this morning on drought day 6 (watered on Sunday so I counted Monday as day 1):

I watered it this morning because a) I'm thinking that the measuring angles have been wrong all along and b) the sugar leaves were starting to die. I'll post another pic of it tonight to see what has recovered, but I'm pretty sure that very few fans will regain signs of life.

After reading in Caplan's paper what Maritimer quoted above ("The angle between the center of the middle leaflet and the stem from which it originates was measured.") I believe that Felipe and BL are drawing the diagrams correctly and that the top narrow angle I've been looking at is wrong. Caplan doesn't mention measuring the angle of the petiole and doesn't call it the Petiole Wilt Angle, so Felipe's drawing here and BL's above seem to be more accurate to Caplan's quote.

So we'll see how this finishes out together, but I'm thinking that three or four days would have been the maximum for this plant, and that is because it's grown outside rather than in a controlled environment. I also wonder if the plant would be able to go through all the resin-building in that short amount of time. Later I'll go back through the pics and see if I can see what day would have been closest.

Quotes:

I'm sure some phenos offer greater drought resistance, but varieties originating in the tropics rarely experience drought and would be less likely to endure it for as long as one from an arid climate.

Of course! I should have remembered that. :)

The large sun leaves are exactly what Caplan uses in his diagram though. :hmmmm:

This, without a diagram from Caplan, is the crux of the biscuit, and why gauging it is so difficult. Personally, I don't know where the center of the middle leaflet is.

Nope!

It's a lovely group of folks here. :green_heart:

Thanks BL! Sitting on my hands thanks to you. :)

Me too! I had trouble sleeping last night like I had just watched Poltergeist. :eek:

And I've come around to your way of thinking.

It's been a bit of a posting fury lately with this drought experiment going on. I'm glad you're up to date now, and I hope I can even tell the difference in the final product when it's all over!
I'll say it again Shed...beauuuutiful Chiquita

Aye,
we be holdin our course steady, hoping your sails pull hard on the hemp. :love: :peace: :hookah:
for land lovers I said that Im watching and good luck.
you been a great mate, and yer crew was amazing.

let me know when yer up fer the next adventure.
going where no shed has gone before,
searching out new horizons.

I'll say it again Shed...beauuuutiful Chiquita
Thanks Krissi! I'll never tire of hearing it. ;)
Aye,
we be holdin our course steady, hoping your sails pull hard on the hemp.
for land lovers I said that Im watching and good luck.
you been a great mate, and yer crew was amazing.

let me know when yer up fer the next adventure.
going where no shed has gone before,
searching out new horizons.
Thank you Maritimer! I'm not sure we've nailed down exactly what to measure for the Leaf Wilt Angle (and I definitely prefer specificity!), but I am certain that attempting to get close to indoor drought times would have been fatal for this plant. I'm sure leaf temps in the 90-100º+ range and soil temps in the 80s were never part of the equation.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the trichomes look like and how it smells after harvest. At this point the smell has definitely changed to something green and spicy. My last Sour G plant has been in jars for at least two years so I'm not sure if it will be much of an accurate comparison, but as I said, I don't doubt Caplan's or your results for an instant.

For the next experiment, this spring I hope to run a pair of clones and test the MeJA spray, and then later on run another drought test on a pair of clones as well. Always learning here!

:thanks: again.
Always ready for what's next you are!

Hey, Shed!

Regarding your question about the C Banana:
I'll go with this:
Let's start with a pretty plant,
The drought experiment has been fun to watch, especially the pics! By now I'm sure that poor plant is quite sour. :laughtwo:

Howdy folks, I'm back with the post-watering update pics of the Sour G:

Definitely no recovery that I can see.

Notice that the bottoms of the sugar leaves are loaded with trichomes? Never had that before!

And I think I know why it smelled green this morning...because it's dead. Look at the way the sugars curl around the buds. I've only seen cut flowers do that. And assuming it looks the same in the morning I'll take it down officially. I'll get some trichome shots of the top cola so we can compare to last week's pics, but something happened with the sugar leaves for sure!

I also thinned the Jack Herer this afternoon, but I'll post those pics another time.

Quotes:
Hey, Shed!
Regarding your question about the C Banana:
I'll go with this:
The drought experiment has been fun to watch, especially the pics! By now I'm sure that poor plant is quite sour.
It's definitely better to watch than experience, that's for sure! I hope it's not too sour or it might start smelling like double H's cat piss Lemon auto. :eek:
Great job on the Chiquita. Real nice looking plant.
Thanks VG, anything looks good compared to the Sour G! And Iike Felipe said I too hope you're feeling better!
I wasn't even a smart-ass that time. Baby steps.
You're welcome here smarty-ass or nah, baby steps or grown-up ones. :love:
Hi VG! Hope you’re feeling better!
Yeah...what he said! ↑

Back
Top Bottom