Jon's Dedicated Fruity Pebble Cookies Grow Plus The Mystery Plant

Oh the things I've learned about Skittles today:

"According to a neuropsychologist named Don Katz, even though it seems unbelievable, all Skittles are the same flavor . . . a generic “fruit” taste.

So why do we THINK they taste different? It’s because our brains associate their colors with certain tastes . . . we KNOW yellow is supposed to mean lemon, so we THINK yellow tastes like lemon.

And there’s more. Skittles are SCENTED too. So when you bite that yellow Skittle, your brain sees the color, smells the smell, and you believe you’re eating a lemon flavor.

So why don’t they make each one the actual flavor? Katz says, quote, “It’s cheaper to make things smell and look different than it is to make them actually taste different.”

Here's two small Fulvia bud color pictures. These are pretty I think. Soft color.
Crazy pistils and purple color...another winner!

Oh the things I've learned about Skittles today:

"According to a neuropsychologist named Don Katz, even though it seems unbelievable, all Skittles are the same flavor . . . a generic “fruit” taste.

So why do we THINK they taste different? It’s because our brains associate their colors with certain tastes . . . we KNOW yellow is supposed to mean lemon, so we THINK yellow tastes like lemon.

And there’s more. Skittles are SCENTED too. So when you bite that yellow Skittle, your brain sees the color, smells the smell, and you believe you’re eating a lemon flavor.

So why don’t they make each one the actual flavor? Katz says, quote, “It’s cheaper to make things smell and look different than it is to make them actually taste different.”

Crazy pistils and purple color...another winner!
I gotta' admit, I never thought I'd be saying thank you for an article about Skittles!!!! Another first!!!! Lmao. But it does kind of support the vagueness of the smell, cuz I don't associate the buds with any one color, it just smells like sweet candy. I wouldn't be able to say it smells more like a yellow or green Skittles, you know? Just vague. It also supports what I've always thought, that they all taste the same. Lmao.

Jack Herer Relocation

So I have been busy today. The lennai rig is free now, as I can finish the Zkittlez with just sun and nighttime dark for a couple days while it finishes. So I relocated the Jack to there. This opened up the space for Elora, and also made it so that Jack is not getting BLASTED by the fan. She's so non-leafy compared to my usual plants because after I removed all the dead, wind damaged leaves, this is what's left. LOL. She needs some N and some Ca and some Mg, in my opinion, as evidenced by the top large fans. Anyone see something different? If so please share!!!!! I need to get her greened back up.

She fits nicely in the rig, and now she's going back to 20/4. So 2/3 of the way at 12/12, the rest at 20/4. Poor autos, they don't get no respect (pull collar a la Rodney D., lol). They just take whatever terrible growing practices we want to subject them to and keep on chugging. Lmao!!!!!

Here's a blurple and non-blurple overhead shots.

Here's some Jack buds.

Lennai Rig Rearrangement

Changed my mind again. (this one works better)

Both autos are going to finish in the rig. I'm done with the back and forth. They'll both get 20/4 full spectrum blurple til they're done. Jack will have the rig to herself soon enough.

So to accommodate both plants without either infringing on the other, we had to prop up the four colas that were roughly in a line. They were all falling out to that side as a unit, so we supported them, which tightened up the cola 5-some, and allowed it to coexist in the rig with Jack no problem.

Here's the little propping/supporting I did.

That gave me this with respect to the four inline colas.

Which allowed for this.

And then here's a pull back shot with both autos in the rig for anyone who missed what this rig actually is.

Heh.

Love that plant stand...some folks look at something and see all sorts of possibilities! My roommate in college looked at one of those metal floor-standing ashtrays with the steel tube running from the base to the tray, grabbed a pliers and some tape, took the whole thing apart, and made himself an 2"x18" hollow tube holder for his joints. You should have seen the column of smoke that came outta that thing! :eek:

Can't recall what he did with the ashes though...

Love that plant stand...some folks look at something and see all sorts of possibilities! My roommate in college looked at one of those metal floor-standing ashtrays with the steel tube running from the base to the tray, grabbed a pliers and some tape, took the whole thing apart, and made himself an 2"x18" hollow tube holder for his joints. You should have seen the column of smoke that came outta that thing! :eek:

Can't recall what he did with the ashes though...
I kinda get off a little bit whenever I can repurpose anything. Makes me feel like McGuyver with saving coin on his mind. Lol.

Some Unpopular Decisions...

Ok, so today, when I removed the Jack Herer auto, there was an adjunct effect. That plant and pot was holding up basically that entire side of Elora. Much more so than I thought it was, I thought she was standing up on her own all around. Already the buds are too heavy for the length of the stems, which I saw coming and have been thinking about how to handle. Today made it clear that the time to make the decision is now, as very very shortly I am about to have buds falling all over the place if I don't do something I would rather not do. Just eliminating the Jack forced my hand into installing temporary bamboo supports and tying up some buds to sticks.

I tossed around several ideas for this, but at the end of the day I keep coming back to what I see as the only viable solution. I have to install a net up top to support the colas. It's the only way. And every day it becomes more essential. LONG stems, heavy buds. You do the math.

I'm sure many of you have installed nets TOO LATE, as this is going to be. Lmao. I've done it before too. Only that was on my second grow in this same tent, and it was over 9 autos, my first try at them, so everything was below my head. Lol. In this case obviously we have quite the opposite situation. It's going to be a straight up pain in the ass, and it's going to require a helper, and it's going to require figuring out a way around the large fan post, which cannot move. Again, I know this can be done, and it will be. Tomorrow. I'll show you guys what I end up coming up with. I have a bunch of ideas but won't know which to implement until I see the screen installed between the light and the buds, which is the obvious first step. There's four inches to six inches there, that's the easy part. Getting it down around all the existing buds and separating the stems out between the squares of the screen is the pain in the ass part. I will have to enlist the aid of a standing person (my stepdad) to help me with this.

But done it will be as the only other option is completely fuc-ing up my grow I've worked my damn ass off on.

The other decision is getting covered as we speak. My helper is on the way to Home Depot with my card to grab me another Toshiba 5000 btu AC unit, just like the one already in operation. It's gong on the opposite side. It's getting up into the 90s now for like four hours a day at canopy level. Can't have that. Only solution is more AC. It's going to be great, I'm super psyched. I almost did it several times already but now I have no choice or I'll have foxtails or worse if I leave it as is. I had two AC units on Sadie, the Jelly Rancher, and it worked out very well. It's going to cool it to where it needs to be and help eliminate yet more RH.

Big decisions. Expensive decisions. Anything for my plants. Also have a new set of PB nutes on the way that are necessary to finish the grow. This is the most expensive grow I've ever done. Has to be good. I spent $250 on this grow just today. Christ.

I'm sorry, which of those decisions was unpopular? And are they just unpopular with your stepdad?
Thanks for asking, @InTheShed. The unpopular part is the installing of the screen, and in that case, mostly because the big fan completely destroys any chance of four corner attachment. Visualize it. The fan can't move. The round head is not the problem, the pole is. The screen must end up below the level of the oscillating big round part of the fan with the blades. And so it has to be hooked on either side of the fan stand with cutout for the stand pole, where there's nothing vertical to hang it on and one of those supports would interfere with the back door to the tent. I have CFM bars I can bring down to the right height on one side, but on the door side it's impossible. It's also impossible to completely rearrange the tent, which would be the real solution were it possible, cuz then it's easy, the fan just goes in the other corner on the side it's on. So all that said, do you see what a supreme pain in the ass it is? I haven't even mentioned the making sure not to trash my towers in the process of bringing the screen down a full almost two feet (the fan head diameter is 18" and the buds are taller than that in a couple places, so at least around 21 or 22 inches down from the starting point up high. That part alone requires two people and great care. I'm not psyched about it at all. My stepdad sees it as a challenge, and he is retired with nothing to do, and he likes to learn about this and help me believe it or not. So it's actually a popular decision with him. Lol. I'll get it done, cuz here's the genius, I figured it out already. (JK on the "genius", lol)

I am simply going to hook the screen to the three sides (corner posts) unaffected by a fan pole. That's going to cover exactly half the area of the tent, going diagonally across the square 5x5 as you will have when you only hook the net to three poles, right? This will take care of the entire Mystery Plant, half (the half that needs it more) of Fulvia, and around 2/3 of Elora, based on where all the plants currently sit, which will stay as is. That's going to be PLENTY of support. I can deal with the rest if it becomes problematic with less drastic measures. The three side hook makes it as painless as I can, while still providing adequate support to most of the towers and avoiding the fan pole altogether, and nothing has to be moved or rearranged to get it done.

That's pretty good, right? I was proud of myself for figuring that one out. It actually works out especially well, because I dug up the net and I lost one hook anyway.

:rofl:

But what do you think? That'll work, right?

Thanks for asking, @InTheShed. The unpopular part is the installing of the screen, and in that case, mostly because the big fan completely destroys any chance of four corner attachment. Visualize it. The fan can't move. The round head is not the problem, the pole is. The screen must end up below the level of the oscillating big round part of the fan with the blades. And so it has to be hooked on either side of the fan stand with cutout for the stand pole, where there's nothing vertical to hang it on and one of those supports would interfere with the back door to the tent. I have CFM bars I can bring down to the right height on one side, but on the door side it's impossible. It's also impossible to completely rearrange the tent, which would be the real solution were it possible, cuz then it's easy, the fan just goes in the other corner on the side it's on. So all that said, do you see what a supreme pain in the ass it is? I haven't even mentioned the making sure not to trash my towers in the process of bringing the screen down a full almost two feet (the fan head diameter is 18" and the buds are taller than that in a couple places, so at least around 21 or 22 inches down from the starting point up high. That part alone requires two people and great care. I'm not psyched about it at all. My stepdad sees it as a challenge, and he is retired with nothing to do, and he likes to learn about this and help me believe it or not. So it's actually a popular decision with him. Lol. I'll get it done, cuz here's the genius, I figured it out already. (JK on the "genius", lol)

I am simply going to hook the screen to the three sides (corner posts) unaffected by a fan pole. That's going to cover exactly half the area of the tent, going diagonally across the square 5x5 as you will have when you only hook the net to three poles, right? This will take care of the entire Mystery Plant, half (the half that needs it more) of Fulvia, and around 2/3 of Elora, based on where all the plants currently sit, which will stay as is. That's going to be PLENTY of support. I can deal with the rest if it becomes problematic with less drastic measures. The three side hook makes it as painless as I can, while still providing adequate support to most of the towers and avoiding the fan pole altogether, and nothing has to be moved or rearranged to get it done.

That's pretty good, right? I was proud of myself for figuring that one out. It actually works out especially well, because I dug up the net and I lost one hook anyway.

:rofl:

But what do you think? That'll work, right?
It sounds like it should work since it really only needs to replace the plant you removed, and it's not like it's holding a huge amount of weight no matter how fat those flowers are! Might want to build the net by hand and have your stepdad feed the lines between the spears to save them any damage pushing the net down over them.

Not sure, but does this post help you in any way?

It sounds like it should work since it really only needs to replace the plant you removed, and it's not like it's holding a huge amount of weight no matter how fat those flowers are! Might want to build the net by hand and have your stepdad feed the lines between the spears to save them any damage pushing the net down over them.

Not sure, but does this post help you in any way?
Thank you Shed. I've seen that and have made one myself, both PVC and 2x4, lol, but in this case I need the flexibility to pull part of the net down and not other parts while someone else holds the other parts up. I don't have four people, lol, which would make it WAY easier. The string my own and thread through with his help is intriguing, and I may use that as a secondary plan and run some lines in the part I can't get with the net in my scenario, which I could easily run from CFM pole to CFM pole on the two non-door sides (left and right of all my pics). Nice! That'll actually work perfectly to round out the net. Saves me LOTS of thinking, thanks, great idea!!! I'd have obsessed over that for hours. Lmao.

Hey Jon! We just got one of these fans and it works great, small footprint, oscillating, and moves a ton of air. The vertical column pushes air through the whole canopy, and the second fan on top keeps nice circulation on the tops. May be worth looking at when you replace your big fan.

fan.jpg

Bungee cords maybe? Or don't you want the tension in those?
Wow, now you're talking. Bungees beat the strong green twine I was going to use. 1000x easier. I just gotta assess what's left and decide what size and how many bungees it'll take to do what I want. Probably get away with less than $100 worth. (They ain't THAT cheap....) Another great idea @InTheShed, thanks!!

Hey Jon! We just got one of these fans and it works great, small footprint, oscillating, and moves a ton of air. The vertical column pushes air through the whole canopy, and the second fan on top keeps nice circulation on the tops. May be worth looking at when you replace your big fan.

fan.jpg
Thanks @Braddah Waiheesohai! That looks like a beauty and I wish I had found that instead of what I got. Appreciate the heads up I'm all over that. Just the top oscillates, right? And how many degrees, do you know?

Thanks @Braddah Waiheesohai! That looks like a beauty and I wish I had found that instead of what I got. Appreciate the heads up I'm all over that. Just the top oscillates, right? And how many degrees, do you know?
Whole thing oscillates, you can set the top and bottom to different speeds, seems to do 90°, I've got it in a corner and it doesn't over rotate. Just replaced a fan like what you've got that was taking up way too much space.

fanny.jpg

Back
Top Bottom