Jon's Outdoor Winter Photoperiod Grow

Hi @InTheShed - how are you sir? I have a question I’m pretty sure is up your alley. You and I, I’ve seen, both use 62% as our regular storage weed RH. But I have enough weed now that I am wondering about long term storage. My understanding is that long term one should use the 58% packs. Is this also your understanding? And if so, when do you think is a good age of cure to make that switch? Any help? Thanks in advance!!

Hi @InTheShed - how are you sir? I have a question I’m pretty sure is up your alley. You and I, I’ve seen, both use 62% as our regular storage weed RH. But I have enough weed now that I am wondering about long term storage. My understanding is that long term one should use the 58% packs. Is this also your understanding? And if so, when do you think is a good age of cure to make that switch? Any help? Thanks in advance!!
For really long term storage you're probably better with vacuum sealing and freezing after 3 or 4 months. I've never had a problem with 62% for long term, and I've got jars from 2019 in the closet!

I plan on making dry ice hash in a few weeks from a lot of the older stuff.

For really long term storage you're probably better with vacuum sealing and freezing after 3 or 4 months. I've never had a problem with 62% for long term, and I've got jars from 2019 in the closet!

I plan on making dry ice hash in a few weeks from a lot of the older stuff.
Cool thanks! Have you busted into anything from 2019 lately? Does it still have its smell and taste?

Cool thanks! Have you busted into anything from 2019 lately? Does it still have its smell and taste?
Nobody in my house can taste the difference between varieties of weed, but the distinctive smell of the oldest stuff has faded. It all still tastes like weed!

I don't recommend storing flower in jars that long though as it'd definitely less than ideal. I'm sure the hash will be good though. :)

Mac and Jack
Flower Day 40

Never would I think I’d be doing the first trichome check on day 40!

I checked the trichs, and then very hesitantly removed many a fan leaf. I loved them, and I believe some of why these buds are so nice is due to the presence of so many leaves (I’m currently in @Bill284 camp on leaves). But we’re close enough and they’ve done their jobs.

Here’s the new look, some trichs, some buds, and what I took.

042B3C65-6181-488F-9782-B0583EE44638.jpeg

6785B7BF-83A0-4839-9E47-5F5129E1BF78.jpeg

03F153B7-34A5-4ABD-8A45-4B39E7ECA68F.jpeg

597DE619-4850-4F6A-9972-16B2E128774D.jpeg

A19006B2-326A-4818-81F8-74C5B13CA548.jpeg

6F1A5AB3-A5BE-4233-93B5-4A04CC0A17C3.jpeg

38466554-2126-401A-B784-76515C8F82B2.jpeg

E7077B69-BF96-495B-89A6-1E5F82A35014.jpeg

BCAD23C4-F729-4857-BDE1-7D480E58FC71.jpeg

5395457E-BCE7-49D9-8CC4-E97E328F430B.jpeg

Mac and Jack
Flower Day 40

Never would I think I’d be doing the first trichome check on day 40!

I checked the trichs, and then very hesitantly removed many a fan leaf. I loved them, and I believe some of why these buds are so nice is due to the presence of so many leaves (I’m currently in @Bill284 camp on leaves). But we’re close enough and they’ve done their jobs.

Here’s the new look, some trichs, some buds, and what I took.

042B3C65-6181-488F-9782-B0583EE44638.jpeg

6785B7BF-83A0-4839-9E47-5F5129E1BF78.jpeg

03F153B7-34A5-4ABD-8A45-4B39E7ECA68F.jpeg

597DE619-4850-4F6A-9972-16B2E128774D.jpeg

A19006B2-326A-4818-81F8-74C5B13CA548.jpeg

6F1A5AB3-A5BE-4233-93B5-4A04CC0A17C3.jpeg

38466554-2126-401A-B784-76515C8F82B2.jpeg

E7077B69-BF96-495B-89A6-1E5F82A35014.jpeg

BCAD23C4-F729-4857-BDE1-7D480E58FC71.jpeg

5395457E-BCE7-49D9-8CC4-E97E328F430B.jpeg
The tics production is incredible.
Great work my friend. :thumb:
Have a nice weekend.
Take care.

#VIVOSUN #Love What You Grow
Bill284 :cool:

It's a strange thing when they do that! 40 days and this far along! Woof! :woohoo:
I know, right? Like you said @StoneOtter, you never know. I’ve had dozens go way longer, can’t recall one being way faster than advertised. But this one is for sure. Based on look and trichomes, I don’t even think we’ll get two more weeks. Maybe 50 days??? 54 would be two weeks from today. Maybe we get there. It will be interesting to see if she is as fast a finisher as she is a bud maker.

The tics production is incredible.
Great work my friend. :thumb:
Have a nice weekend.
Take care.

Thanks @Bill284. Yeah she’s not messing around. I took a bottom bud to test and see what we have and I was shocked at the density.

Thanks @Bill284. Yeah she’s not messing around. I took a bottom bud to test and see what we have and I was shocked at the density.
Did you do anything with lighting or nutrients to increase trics specifically?

Did you do anything with lighting or nutrients to increase trics specifically?

Well, @Bill284, honestly I’ve been asking myself that question, because to my eyes, as amazing as Ethos genetics can be, there’s maybe something else going on here too. I mean, I’ve never really had large fan leaves frost up like this before, it’s ridiculous. So I ask myself what did I do that varies from anything I’ve done before? And I come up with a few things:
- she went indoor veg/outdoor stretch/indoor flower, and that encompasses four different light sources. The @Maxsisun blurple for early veg, my big light for main veg, the sun for the stretch, and the 420h for flower
- I kept up better than ever before on the bokashi/frass teas, prepared via your recipe and method. This girl has gotten three tea feedings, two of which occurred in flower, as well as one top dressing of a bokashi/frass mixture about halfway through flower.
- I kept more large fan leaves and more leaves overall (and for longer) than I ever have on any indoor plant
- I minimized the number of main colas by design to see how it went, this plant had a ten cola ring, so the energy the plant had to offer was not split up into as many outlets as I have before
- The 420h, due to the finish height of the plant, has run at 100% for the entirety of flower. There is zero foxtailing and I believe I have found the exact sweet spot for the relationship between the 100% light level, the 3x3 tent dimensions, and the height of the plant (distance to the light)

That list is everything I can think of that I did differently. Whether or not any of them had an effect on the frost level I do not know. But if I had to hazard a guess, I think the reason lies somewhere in finding the sweet spot and running the light at 100% for all flower, the teas, and the leaf count.

But I’m more than happy to say it could simply be this strain and Ethos genetic magic. I gotta get someone else to try the strain and see if it frosts up like this for them.

:thumb:

Well, @Bill284, honestly I’ve been asking myself that question, because to my eyes, as amazing as Ethos genetics can be, there’s maybe something else going on here too. I mean, I’ve never really had large fan leaves frost up like this before, it’s ridiculous. So I ask myself what did I do that varies from anything I’ve done before? And I come up with a few things:
- she went indoor veg/outdoor stretch/indoor flower, and that encompasses four different light sources. The @Maxsisun blurple for early veg, my big light for main veg, the sun for the stretch, and the 420h for flower
- I kept up better than ever before on the bokashi/frass teas, prepared via your recipe and method. This girl has gotten three tea feedings, two of which occurred in flower, as well as one top dressing of a bokashi/frass mixture about halfway through flower.
- I kept more large fan leaves and more leaves overall (and for longer) than I ever have on any indoor plant
- I minimized the number of main colas by design to see how it went, this plant had a ten cola ring, so the energy the plant had to offer was not split up into as many outlets as I have before
- The 420h, due to the finish height of the plant, has run at 100% for the entirety of flower. There is zero foxtailing and I believe I have found the exact sweet spot for the relationship between the 100% light level, the 3x3 tent dimensions, and the height of the plant (distance to the light)

That list is everything I can think of that I did differently. Whether or not any of them had an effect on the frost level I do not know. But if I had to hazard a guess, I think the reason lies somewhere in finding the sweet spot and running the light at 100% for all flower, the teas, and the leaf count.

But I’m more than happy to say it could simply be this strain and Ethos genetic magic. I gotta get someone else to try the strain and see if it frosts up like this for them.

:thumb:
I did have great tric production from the girls getting sun and 1000w combined.
But nowhere near yours. :adore:
I'm a firm believer in big fan leaves and light energy.
I very rarely turn any lights down.
I like to get them running at 100 % before I put them into flower.
Then let them grow into it.
Raise it when needed.
If I had the light you are using for flower now I'd set it a 100 and rip the knob off.
The results speak for themselves.
Too bad the run upto it is so hard to reproduce
That's great work but there was a lot of moving parts in that grow. :surf:
If you could pinpoint the reason you'd be golden.
Could even be genetic like you say.
Got more beans?

I did have great tric production from the girls getting sun and 1000w combined.
But nowhere near yours. :adore:
I'm a firm believer in big fan leaves and light energy.
I very rarely turn any lights down.
I like to get them running at 100 % before I put them into flower.
Then let them grow into it.
Raise it when needed.
If I had the light you are using for flower now I'd set it a 100 and rip the knob off.
The results speak for themselves.
Too bad the run upto it is so hard to reproduce
That's great work but there was a lot of moving parts in that grow. :surf:
If you could pinpoint the reason you'd be golden.
Could even be genetic like you say.
Got more beans?

Yup. 4 more. Next plant. I’m going to use the 15gallon pot from the POTM prize pack and grow one out in the 5x5 and make a serious, gigantic canopy

What, because coco is not enough for you? Greedy bastard.

:laughtwo:
Lmao!!! Come on Azi, it’s about the challenge. I have to keep pushing me or I get stale. I also learn a ton with every experiment! So I hear people talk all the time about crushing one plant in a tent in a big pot. Have you ever tried it? I have not. Have you even seen someone try to fill a 5x5 with one plant? (I mean fill it before the flip to flower!). I have not yet seen that journal (I’m sure it exists).

I think it’s a worthy challenge. And yes, you’re correct - coco is not enough. I want to keep pushing my own envelope. In that respect I’m a greedy mother-f!

See what I mean? I know you were just kidding around but I thought I’d take the moment and inject a bit of growing philosophy.

:rofl:

We'll all be watching, of course. :thumb:
Think about it though really. It’s a very difficult thing to do. First off you have a support issue big time. You’ll be long past the pot with this one. In 360 degrees. How will the outer branches get supported with no net and no pot to use as a base? And how will you keep the entirety of the plant/canopy from overgrowing the tent, since it will require a very long veg, even in coco? That’s just two elements off the top of my head.

Hafta's weight training process could help strengthen the limbs prior to flower. Don't know if you have full access to the 4 sides of the tent though since you probably won't be taking it out to work on it.

Back
Top Bottom