Junior Grower First Time

GWJ they're doing great! Growing quickly now :yummy:

Day 28, i just drop some eggshell into them. I can't buy any nutrients right now. And fabric pots still shipping.

She looks good!

Edit - Pulverize more egg shells and mix it with more of your soil so any microbe in there can get started on breaking it down further. This way when you pot up, the soil is ready.

You should be able to locate Epsom Salts locally at a pharmacy for cheap. By mixing 0.2 grams into one liter of water, you will get 20ppm of magnesium and 26ppm of sulfur. In a hydro routine, 20ppm of Mg is about 1/3 the strength, so in comparison to your soil, it's still a mild solution and will go well along with the egg shells you already watered in. Magnesium is a major constituent of chlorophyll, which is the green color in the plant that attracts light. I suggest watering the one liter solution into both pots, then revert to plain water.

FelipeBlu's right though, you need to acquire nutrients, or soil amendments to get you going the right way. IDK what others know, but I know synthetic nutrients well and they can be used in soil to supplement what the soil is lacking. Others subbed may be able to advise if you buy into organic nutrients, but to use those successfully, I know that you absolutely need to maintain a thriving microbial cultarye in the soil to properly break down the organic mineral sources, whereas synthetic nutes don't require the microbes. Understand, I am a strong proponent of a very active microbe population in the root zone at all times, but doing so in the near term might be outside of your ability and in that case, I would strongly suggest purchasing synthetic nutrients. If you decide to buy synthetic nutrients, please stay away from Advanced Nutrients due to their formulas being PH targeted to 5.5 - 5.8 to be ideal for hydroponics. For you to use synthetic nutrients in soil with success, you'll need to be able to adjust the PH to 6.5.

Probably starting to need nutrients. Purchased, or on the way?
You should be able to locate Epsom Salts locally at a pharmacy for cheap. By mixing 0.2 grams into one liter of water, you will get 20ppm of magnesium and 26ppm of sulfur. In a hydro routine, 20ppm of Mg is about 1/3 the strength, so in comparison to your soil, it's still a mild solution and will go well along with the egg shells you already watered in. Magnesium is a major constituent of chlorophyll, which is the green color in the plant that attracts light. I suggest watering the one liter solution into both pots, then revert to plain water.

FelipeBlu's right though, you need to acquire nutrients, or soil amendments to get you going the right way. IDK what others know, but I know synthetic nutrients well and they can be used in soil to supplement what the soil is lacking. Others subbed may be able to advise if you buy into organic nutrients, but to use those successfully, I know that you absolutely need to maintain a thriving microbial cultarye in the soil to properly break down the organic mineral sources, whereas synthetic nutes don't require the microbes. Understand, I am a strong proponent of a very active microbe population in the root zone at all times, but doing so in the near term might be outside of your ability and in that case, I would strongly suggest purchasing synthetic nutrients. If you decide to buy synthetic nutrients, please stay away from Advanced Nutrients due to their formulas being PH targeted to 5.5 - 5.8 to be ideal for hydroponics. For you to use synthetic nutrients in soil with success, you'll need to be able to adjust the PH to 6.5.

Here's the story, the place i gonna purchase nutrients are the only shop available in my city, it doesn't have a real store and only take online payment or COD. The other shop are selling some weird chinese packaging nutrients that only label "suitable for veg", "suitable for thrive", all of them in 1 bottle solution come with weird artificial color. That's not even 2 part or 3 part as you describe.

About a week ago, I decided to buy nutrients from them, I can only contact him via WhatsApp. He suggest me to buy advanced nutrients and say that is the easiest way. So I agree to buy the sensi grow and bloom, he will arrange someone ship the nutrients for me on weekend. I remember you said not to buy advanced nutrients. So I tried to stop him and change something else, but he went disappear all of sudden, last online date remain on 2nd June, but a strange old lady appear and hand those nutrients to me yesterday. I am so confuse, I ask the old lady what happened to that WhatsApp, she said she knows nothing, just receiving order and delivering stuffs. I still pay for those nutrients though.

To summarize :
The shop contact person went disappear...
Yes I got nutrients for now (advanced nutrients, sensi grow and bloom).
No I might can't get other nutrients (even advanced nutrients) in future.

Man I am so worried, they are able to track to my address if things went south. I just pray and hope the contact person is just lazy and go holiday for a long time. :straightface:

I'm sorry to hear that. I try to choose my words carefully so not to put you in awkward position. If this is/was a concern, I suggest not using the internet to purchase things and only rely on what you can find local to you. Like I said, I'm a hydro guy and I am beginning to learn organics, but I still have a lot to learn about what materials to use and how much of each to amend soil with. so the amount of suggestions I can offer on how to feed will be more limited. Perhaps now would be a good time to read about the korean farming techniques. I bet most amendments will be at local garden centers.

I'm sorry to hear that. I try to choose my words carefully so not to put you in awkward position. If this is/was a concern, I suggest not using the internet to purchase things and only rely on what you can find local to you. Like I said, I'm a hydro guy and I am beginning to learn organics, but I still have a lot to learn about what materials to use and how much of each to amend soil with. so the amount of suggestions I can offer on how to feed will be more limited. Perhaps now would be a good time to read about the korean farming techniques. I bet most amendments will be at local garden centers.

I will try anonymous po box if he available again.

I read about KNF, it all make sense, but to bring fungi like microbes to indoor is not a good idea. especially the ventilation hose is connected and pointing to my living room. Unless there's a way to do it without using fungi?

I will try ask for tomato fertilizer. Since growing tomato is much like growing marijuana. The worst case, I just buy those weird color nutrients and try it blindly.

microbes is what is in all soil to convert minerals into the ionic form, except soil growers increase the amount of microbes and fungi in their soil as well as amend the soil with the right materials to ensure there is adequate minerals in the soil for the microbes to feed to your plants. A tomato fertilizer will be okay, but tomato plants usually are formulated very strong, so I suggest no more than 1/4 strength, but maybe less. If at all possible, try to find a product label that lists the various elements contained in the product listed in percent of each element. Otherwise try to find out the N-P-K.

For now though, try to find epsom salts at the pharmacy. Here, people use those salts for washing feet, but it's a great source of magnesium and sulfur and it is what I use in my nutrients.

microbes is what is in all soil to convert minerals into the ionic form, except soil growers increase the amount of microbes and fungi in their soil as well as amend the soil with the right materials to ensure there is adequate minerals in the soil for the microbes to feed to your plants. A tomato fertilizer will be okay, but tomato plants usually are formulated very strong, so I suggest no more than 1/4 strength, but maybe less. If at all possible, try to find a product label that lists the various elements contained in the product listed in percent of each element. Otherwise try to find out the N-P-K.

For now though, try to find epsom salts at the pharmacy. Here, people use those salts for washing feet, but it's a great source of magnesium and sulfur and it is what I use in my nutrients.

Epsom salts sounds like a easy things to get. If I am able to buy those salts how to use them without killing my plants? Also since you guys mention CalMag before, is that means if I feed them egg shells and epsom salts I can no longer need to buy CalMag?

Epsom salts sounds like a easy things to get. If I am able to buy those salts how to use them without killing my plants? Also since you guys mention CalMag before, is that means if I feed them egg shells and epsom salts I can no longer need to buy CalMag?

egg shells was a preventative measure as most soils are deficient of Ca for cannabis, but it's too early to know if the shells will be enough to add more to your soil mix. Magnesium I can already see in the lower yellowing leaves. Mix 0.2 gram to 1 liter of water and use that to water your plants, this will give you 1/3 of how much epsom I give my hydro plants so it will not burn your plant.

Our suggestion to get calmag stands, but because of your precarious location and circumstances, that might be a suggestion that is too demanding in which case you'll have to look at other options. Egg shells and Epsom salt are 2 of those other options. You'll also need to find nitrogen sources and also phosphorus sources. As you get into bloom, you'll also need to track down some potassium.

If you're going to be growing in soil and amending said soil with mineralized amendments, you'll need to prepare that stuff ASAP to give the soil microbes time to break some stuff down Otherwise it will be the same thing as waiting till your starving to plant a garden.

Heya GW :passitleft:

Sorry to hear about your issue with nutrients. But don’t despair. Advanced Nutrients are not garbage. Plenty of very fine plants have been taken to harvest with that line of products. The problem with these particular products, is that they are formulated for hydroponic use - they are buffered to keep a reservoir around 5.5 pH.

While you are doing research, and trying to figure out what to do, check out flood and drain (ebb and flow). This can be very easy to set up with not much more than a couple of totes, a couple of bulkhead fittings, and a small water fountain pump. As an example:

Heya GW :passitleft:

Sorry to hear about your issue with nutrients. But don’t despair. Advanced Nutrients are not garbage. Plenty of very fine plants have been taken to harvest with that line of products. The problem with these particular products, is that they are formulated for hydroponic use - they are buffered to keep a reservoir around 5.5 pH.

While you are doing research, and trying to figure out what to do, check out flood and drain (ebb and flow). This can be very easy to set up with not much more than a couple of totes, a couple of bulkhead fittings, and a small water fountain pump. As an example:

I wonder if AN can't be rebuffered with calcium carbonate (egg shells) to a higher PH?

Here's one of my cheap hydro systems. The most expensive part is the air pot.

Capn Style.jpg

Day 30, WW1 grow bigger than i expected. I do LST for her starting today.

Just apply epsom salt to WW2. WW1 soil is still wet. Will do it tomorrow.

Just curious, will the yellow leaves recover and turn back to green if i feed what they need? Or it just stay yellow forever?

Edit:
Another good news, fabric pot finally arrive.

will the yellow leaves recover and turn back to green if i feed what they need?
They will not, but as Penny said as long as your new growth is looking health that's what matters. Do not remove the yellow leaves as they are still supplying the plants with nutrition & energy.
Just apply epsom salt to WW2.
fabric pot finally arrive.
Nice GWJ! Your garden is upgrading nicely. :bravo: Your plants will love the epsom salts. Glad to see your new pots have arrived! You can let your soil dry out after this watering & then transplant before you do your next watering. When the soil is dry it holds well together and will be easy to transplant.

Day 31, today its not about the plants, i am sorry if this message turn you off.

9th June, over 1 million people protest against against a planned bill to allow extradition to mainland China. The HK gov push even harder to pass the law, as if the protest doesn't exist. Theres another protest happens tonight until tomorrow, police are harassing, humiliating youngster. Most of them (protesters) is ready to escalate to riot of the gov still choose to blind their eyes.

I am so sad, i wish i can do something, to protect my family and city. Will go out take a walk, wish me luck.

Back
Top Bottom