Kanno 26 - 2x ViparSpectra XS1500 PRO - SIP/Soil/80x80 - 2x Purple Queen

Hi @Jon and @Azimuth, thanks for the suggestions. So far I have bought a fixed net which I planned to stretch over the entire tent and gradually fill it one by one. I think it's called the green sea. Not sure @Jon what you mean? Should I just use rope and make an X across the plant following the direction of the branches? Is that right or am I off?

Hi @ViparSpectra XS1500 PRO fans, I want to show you my purple queen is doing well in the fourth week of vegetables under it. Both my lights are on at 50% temp is 25 degrees celsius and RH 63%. This is how I continue training to get her all over the tent. But so far it's going slowly ;) and this is how it looks there.
IMG_20230414_120340.jpg

IMG_20230414_120352.jpg

IMG_20230414_120406.jpg

Thanks everyone for stopping by and any tips on how best to get the queen all over the tent. :Namaste:
They are just loving that @ViparSpectra. :thumb:
Garden looks great. :welldone:
Have a great weekend my friend.
Take care.

Stay safe.
Bill284 😎

Yup. That’s it in a nutshell. You gotta take those four mains out wide and let the side branching fill it in. Here’s a tip I’m going to use in the 2x4 next time. You could run two lines, simple string lines, from corner to corner on each corner, so you end up with a two line cross above the plant. It’s not a screen. Not a scrog. Just the two lines corner to corner. This would provide you something to “anchor” the stems to as you grow them out wide. Instead of worrying about stakes from underneath or yo-yos from above, you could just use small twist tie pieces to keep those four main offshoots headed to the four corners. You see what I mean? Just an idea I’m knocking around for next grow. Seems it would work well in your situation.
That's a great idea. Simple but super effective. :thumb:

Should I just use rope and make an X across the plant following the direction of the branches? Is that right or am I off?
I sometimes tie my branches to the edge of my bucket, spacing them around the rim how I want as I go, but that limits the horizontal spread of the plant to roughly the width of my container. What @Jon is suggesting is, rather than tie them to the edge of the pot, or hold them horizontally with Carhooks, instead you would tie the limbs to the string which is just above the plant and connected to the corner posts of your tent. That way you can grow them as wide as you want and fill up the tent.

You lose the ability to take the plants out of the tent to work on them, but you'd have that with your SCROG net (Screen of Green) you mentioned anyway.

SOG, or Sea of Green, usually means running a whole bunch of young plants shoulder to shoulder on say, 6" centers. You only get the one main cola that way but many more of them. The benefits of that is you flower the plants (seedlings usually) as soon as they're sexually mature with minimal veg time.

Doing things that way you get more rounds of grows per year in a tent. So, each plant gives you less harvest but you have lots more plants and the extra round or two per year gives you more annual harvest.

The downside is many growers are in places where there are plant counts and the penalties for growing 100 plants is much stiffer than growing a single huge plant even though in the end the harvest might be similar.

I tie my branches to the edge of my bucket, spacing them around the rim how I want as I go, but that limits the horizontal spread of the plant to roughly the width of my container. What @Jon is suggesting is, rather than tie them to the edge of the pot, or hold them horizontally with Carhooks, instead you would tie the limbs to the string which is just above the plant and connected to the corner posts of your tent. That way you can grow them as wide as you want and fill up the tent.

You lose the ability to take the plants out of the tent to work on them, but you'd have that with your SCROG net (Screen of Green) you mentioned anyway.

SOG, or Sea of Green, usually means running a whole bunch of young plants shoulder to shoulder on say, 6" centers. You only get the one main cola that way but many more of them. The benefits of that is you flower the plants (seedlings usually) as soon as they're sexually mature with minimal veg time.

Doing things that way you get more rounds of grows per year in a tent. So, each plant gives you less harvest but you have lots more plants and the extra round or two per year gives you more annual harvest.

The downside is many growers are in places where there are plant counts and the penalties for growing 100 plants is much stiffer than growing a single huge plant even though in the end the harvest might be similar.
Thank you @Azimuth, that is exactly and precisely what I was suggesting. I haven’t done it yet but I’m going to in the 2x4 as I feel it’ll make it easier to fill a very much rectangular canopy. As simple as two strings, pole to pole, above the plant at whatever the desired height is. I’ve visualized it and it doesn’t matter that I haven’t done it myself yet, I KNOW it will work well. It’s a one plant in a smallish tent sort of thing only most likely, but for a 2x4 or even a 3x3 it will work very well

Edit: bonus - if you had the CFL side bars like I do in the 5x5 you could use them and take this concept as far as you wanted..

Thank you @Azimuth, that is exactly and precisely what I was suggesting. I haven’t done it yet but I’m going to in the 2x4 as I feel it’ll make it easier to fill a very much rectangular canopy. As simple as two strings, pole to pole, above the plant at whatever the desired height is. I’ve visualized it and it doesn’t matter that I haven’t done it myself yet, I KNOW it will work well. It’s a one plant in a smallish tent sort of thing only most likely, but for a 2x4 or even a 3x3 it will work very well

Edit: bonus - if you had the CFL side bars like I do in the 5x5 you could use them and take this concept as far as you wanted..
Thanks guys, for the tips it sounds interesting to guide the plant by only two ropes. But it will have to be attached to it somehow to hold it or not @Jon. Or are you just going to run it under the string and push through the individual branches?

You can tie them loosely to the string, being careful not to cause binding. Just enough to guide them on their way. The tips are very bendable and then the stems harden up over time, so once you get the structure in place it should last for the duration of the grow.

And your tent must have corner posts, no? Simply tie each sting to opposite corners so they form an 'X' in the middle of the tent and right over the center of your container.

You can tie them loosely to the string, being careful not to cause binding. Just enough to guide them on their way. The tips are very bendable and then the stems harden up over time, so once you get the structure in place it should last for the duration of the grow.

And your tent must have corner posts, no? Simply tie each sting to opposite corners so they form an 'X' in the middle of the tent and right over the center of your container.
Ok @Azimuth, I'll try to create it in some way and at least if @Jon gets involved I'll have someone to compare it to. And if the worst happens, I have a backup network ;).

Ok @Azimuth, I'll try to create it in some way and at least if @Jon gets involved I'll have someone to compare it to. And if the worst happens, I have a backup network ;).
They look nice and green :)
Hope you good luck with this method:D. Happy Monday!

Hi @Jon and @Azimuth, so I have it ready just please confirm that I got it right but I think so ;) the only thing I'm not sure about is the rope I used? By that I mean if it is not unnecessarily strong but on the other hand it will have stability. What do you think about it?
IMG_20230417_194045.jpg

So here are my two @ViparSpectra XS1500 PROs powering the entire tent with my small contribution.
IMG_20230417_194059.jpg

Thanks everyone for stopping by and for your opinions.

I think it's perfect. :thumb:

It's actually heavier rope than I was thinking of. The limbs aren't all that heavy in veg and in flower if you need to support the buds you could probably just tie the center of the rope itself to a higher spot on your corner pipes.

That should work great. :goodjob:

Hi @Jon and @Azimuth, so I have it ready just please confirm that I got it right but I think so ;) the only thing I'm not sure about is the rope I used? By that I mean if it is not unnecessarily strong but on the other hand it will have stability. What do you think about it?
IMG_20230417_194045.jpg

So here are my two @ViparSpectra XS1500 PROs powering the entire tent with my small contribution.
IMG_20230417_194059.jpg

Thanks everyone for stopping by and for your opinions.
Eureka! That’s exactly it @Kanno26! As far as attaching the outgoing stem to the cross…I get from the garden section of any big store (Walmart, Home Depot, or whatever equivalent you have) and I use plant ties. They are basically twist ties like for a loaf of bread but with a thicker plastic coating. They come in lengths in a pack or rolls you can cut to size. But yes, I personally would use small ties of some sort to keep the stem right on top of that X. From there, if it were me, I would take the stems you’re going to get off these mains and use them to fill in the four quadrants. This may require some underneath staking to keep them at what is now your canopy level. Or when you need it, now that you have this very solid X in place, you could simply run a string line from one part of the X to another, in whatever quadrant, and on whatever angle, you need to. The string (whatever you use) will want to slide on the X, a small piece of tape solves that problem. What you have, my oh so experimental friend :)adore:), is an informal and minimalist scrog. If you keep the X and go this route, you’re pretty much committed to establishing a flat canopy at whatever level you put the X. So if it were me, and this is how I’ll handle it in the 2x4 when I do it, I’d work on getting as close to a full, flat canopy in that tent as possible. Then you can decide if you wish to flip to finish filling it out during the stretch or if you want to fill it and then flip. If you have enough headroom (looks like you do) I would argue you’ll get better yield if you fill then flip.

Excellent work. Can’t tell you how nice it is to have someone else be the Guinea pig for a change! Thanks!

Super execution!:thumb: Can't wait to see how the plants grow with the "X" form. I think they will be very even and orderly.

Hello all @ViparSpectra XS1500 PRO fans. My two lights are running at 75% and they're giving my purple queen a run for her money in a good way :D. Otherwise, he is slowly getting closer to the next training session with "X" that @Jon advised me. And this is what it looks like there, come and be amazed ;).
IMG_20230423_202856.jpg
IMG_20230423_202904.jpg
Gosh @Kanno26, now I’M feeling the pressure for this to work! Lol! Appreciate you volunteering to be our collective Guinea pig on this one Kanno. Thanks.

Hello all growers, I have some more information for you on how to grow with the XS1500 PRO and the purple queen. Yesterday I got to week seven with the queen and she looks great, I don't see any problems and that's good ;).

IMG_20230426_135229.jpg

IMG_20230426_135314.jpg
IMG_20230426_135237.jpg

I've finally reached the "X" limit and I'm quite curious how it will work @Jon. @ViparSpectra both run at 75%, which means some 200w goes to the queen, which is amazing, what do you think?

IMG_20230426_135327.jpg
IMG_20230426_135421.jpg

That's what it looks like.

Hello all growers, I have some more information for you on how to grow with the XS1500 PRO and the purple queen. Yesterday I got to week seven with the queen and she looks great, I don't see any problems and that's good ;).

IMG_20230426_135229.jpg

IMG_20230426_135314.jpg
IMG_20230426_135237.jpg

I've finally reached the "X" limit and I'm quite curious how it will work @Jon. @ViparSpectra both run at 75%, which means some 200w goes to the queen, which is amazing, what do you think?

IMG_20230426_135327.jpg
IMG_20230426_135421.jpg

That's what it looks like.
I have to say @Kanno26, you’re a man after my own heart. You are set up as well as you could be for this. I’m curious too. It certainly works well in my head when I visualize it. Lol. Bring on the fun! Oh yeah, for one plant, 200 watts is great. And I imagine once you have budlets you’ll be running 100%, right? So save a few bucks while you can.

I have to say @Kanno26, you’re a man after my own heart. You are set up as well as you could be for this. I’m curious too. It certainly works well in my head when I visualize it. Lol. Bring on the fun! Oh yeah, for one plant, 200 watts is great. And I imagine once you have budlets you’ll be running 100%, right? So save a few bucks while you can.
Thanks @Jon in my head it works great too we'll see if it does but I think it will go great. I think 200W is optimal and in a week or two it will run at 100% and it will be exactly 300W per queen. We'll see how he does. :headbanger:

Back
Top Bottom