Kush DWC grow

Re: LabRat's latest Kush DWC grow.

Thanks Grooster.

I know all about the rational for frequent nute changes and I'm not trying to get people to do something as radical as I'm trying. I'm just a lazy, curious kind of guy who has always had to cross that line drawn in the sand.

I do strongly believe that the nute companies promote more frequent nute changes than necessary to further their own greedy ends. Hey, I could walk in there tonight and see a tub of dying plants. But I'm certain that there is no need to change nutes for at least a month from startup depending on the size of your tub or pail.

I started growing this way by myself nine years ago and have pushed the envelope at every step. I've had some disasters but many more rewards. There was nothing in any grow books or magazines or the internet about growing pot this way. I had read about Mayan floating gardens many years ago and it popped up in my head one day and I took it from there. I want to put a raft on my dugout and try growing in real DWC. lol

I'm basically doing this because I'm a cheap, broke old MoFo and think this experiment, be what may, can/will help others think about their own feeding schedules.

I wish I had a small lab so I could monitor the various nutrient levels and have some hard data to show what's really going on in there and get some use out of my diploma. I mean, the whole experiment is going to be very subjective but will still give an indication of the possibilities. If you knew the concentrations of the various nutes you could custom feed them and never have to worry about build-ups or deficiencies. Not practical for small timers like me, but for commercial growers? If you could make a cheap test kit that small growers could use you'd make a fortune and the nute companies would lose big time. If they didn't have you erased first. ;0)

If the unchanged girls come out of it as good as the others it's gotta show something. If they don't that shows something too.

The experiment continues!

:peace:

Holy Sheit LR... Obviously laziness is a virtue!, and all this time it had a negative connotation to it. Hmmph lol.
Dude, your ladies are bangin.. leaves look cool, and the buds look pretty!..:nomo:

this'll prolly end up in a NOM contest fa sure they way you're headed....:popcorn:

Idk if a lot of ppl know, but you're an incredibly smart dude. You've been sharing a lot of knowledge on the boards too, so this isnt coincidental or lucky, you know your shiet bro!

your experience is shinin' dude ;)

dro :nomo:

Thanks for the kind words Dro my Bro.

Lazy people create progress by finding easier ways to do the boring/hard stuff. I'm having a ball in here man. I'm sure glad I found this place. The enthusiasm and good spirits are definitely keeping the blues away. I don't know about smart. Intelligence I was blessed/cursed with but there are lots of people out there that can barely read that are way smarter than me.

Anybody can be successful with this DWC stuff. That's the beauty of it. If you can tie your shoes you can grow with DWC ! Remember that you heard it here first. LOL

:thanks: again DroJo. We'll C'ya L8r. :peace:

I'm basically doing this because I'm a cheap, broke old MoFo and think this experiment, be what may, can/will help others think about their own feeding schedules.

I wish I had a small lab so I could monitor the various nutrient levels and have some hard data to show what's really going on in there and get some use out of my diploma. I mean, the whole experiment is going to be very subjective but will still give an indication of the possibilities. If you knew the concentrations of the various nutes you could custom feed them and never have to worry about build-ups or deficiencies. Not practical for small timers like me, but for commercial growers? If you could make a cheap test kit that small growers could use you'd make a fortune and the nute companies would lose big time. If they didn't have you erased first. ;0)

If the unchanged girls come out of it as good as the others it's gotta show something. If they don't that shows something too.

The experiment continues!

Viva la revolution!! :grinjoint::grinjoint::grinjoint:

It's like, either there is or there isn't a sufficient amount of whatever specific nutrient the plant needs. Do plants secrete waste? Not as far as I know. The H2O2 regimine should keep the bugs in check. They say they uptake the nutrients at different rates, but you would figure they'd compensate for that with the best formulas... is it a conspiracy??? :hmmmm:

wanted to rep yeh for attitude, but it says i gotta rep others once in a while! wtf?

Prolly so you can't sit there and rep your buddy to the max or create a second account and up your own reps. Ya gotta spread the love man! But thanks for the kind thoughts.

Right on LabRat I get where your coming from and I love the experimentation aspect. I would love to get to a comfortable enough place to start experimenting more. Right now I am in the 'Just don't f*ck it up" mode. I am definitely interested to see how things progress. Keep em coming brother!

L8ER

Well I went downstairs and gave all the girls a complete physical with lab tests.

As I want all variables to be as even as possible I boosted the unchanged tub to equal the changed one. I used 75ml (2 3/40z), of both AN Bloom and Micro and a tablespoon of epsom salts as it hasn't had any since I started. The fresh tub had a 5 day head start with 500 higher ppm. There is no noticeable difference in budding or trich production so far. They each got 20ml 35% H2O2. I don't have enough Big Bud for both and it's 6 or 7 years old so I'm not going to use it.

So they are both at 1250 ppm, 5.7 pH and doing great.

The madness continues! Bwahahaha. LOL :peace:

I'm very interested to see how this turns out. I'm curious about how often you are adding water to your rez if they are using 2 gal per day. Also do you add nutes every time you add water?

I'm very interested to see how this turns out. I'm curious about how often you are adding water to your rez if they are using 2 gal per day. Also do you add nutes every time you add water?

Whoa. Deja-vu. I could have swore I answered this for you yesterday. Freakin' Groundhog day or what. I checked back in the thread and nothing so it must be the Mad Cow acting up. :0)

Anyway, chillbro, I top up the water every day pretty much and add a little nutes every 2-4 days as needed to maintain the ppm I want. Gotta have a TDS pen to run this shit right for sure. Always top up the water before testing so you get the right reading. If the water is low the nutes are more concentrated and will give you a high reading.

Hope that answers your question for the 2nd time. LOL

The girls are starting into the fattening up stage now. This is a picture I took an hour ago of one of the plants in the unchanged tub. These plants mostly start getting fat from the middle up. As they're all from unstable seed there are all sorts of subtle differences between them. This plant isn't as pumped with trichs as some others but is really pushing the buds now.

Day_48_36_1212Tub2-1.jpg

Gotta run. :ciao: :peace:

Looking great their LabRat - if this site doesn't chase the blues away, then those plants sure will! You should show her in her full glory...

Day_48_36_1212Tub2-1.jpg

or maybe you're on dial up, and you're cussing me right now while you're waiting for this to download! hehe...

This is a great place to hang out, and we're fortunate to have the big influx of DWC refugees - or Deep Water Culture - I need to keep using that term to annoy whatever trolls are still out there... :rofl:

Anyway man, just glad to have you and other likeminded souls to hang with - sure does help with my blues. :thanks:

Hey LabRat, about your nute add-backs...how do you know how much of each to give? Sounds like your giving equal amounts of each but how do you know the plants are taking up equal amounts of each? By going by TDS only you could add back enough of only one nute to get TDS up to where it should be but then your nute balance is no longer right. The ratios become imbalanced because of uneven uptake. Then you got your evaporation and the build up of minerals and such from that. Are you using RO water? Just throwing this out there because I want to be as lazy as possible too on my grows but I want maximum yield. I guess it all depends on how long you run the reservoir before it gets too out of balance. Like a fish tank I guess. Well I have rambled far too long. Let me know what you think brother.

L8ER

Awesome. Like you outside the box thinking. You won't know until you try. Stuff like this will benefit all of us. If it works people can save a pile on nutes. If it doesn't then we all know not to head down that path. Another reason this site is such a valuable tool.

Awesome. Like you outside the box thinking. You won't know until you try. Stuff like this will benefit all of us. If it works people can save a pile on nutes. If it doesn't then we all know not to head down that path. Another reason this site is such a valuable tool.

Get outta my head screwnuts:rofl: Thats exactly what I was thinkin.
I love it here at 420. If we all perform different experiments and share our results it saves us from performing all those experiments ourselves.:thanks:

Wow! I don't know if I'm not getting email notifications from my own journal or the mad cow has been having a field day behind my back. I'll get this done and then answer everyone in a new post.

I got some cool macro shots by putting the 55mm lens from my old dead Yashica 35mm on the front of my digi cam when in macro mode. The 1st couple are with the white balance set on Flash and the last one set to Incandescent. I tried my 28mm wide angle but it can't get close enough. I'll try the 200mm macro zoom later and post some more pix if they look good.

Day_49_37_1212MacroBud02Y.jpg

Day_49_37_1212MacroBud03Y.jpg

Day_49_37_1212MacroBud01.jpg

I went through my seed selection and picked one oldie and one of my KaliMist/Hawaiian Sativa/Kush/Big Bud or Durban not positive about the last two in the mix. The original KaliX came from Mark Emery's Seed Store and the oldie is a cross between NL#1 and an unknown clone that I brought with me when I moved here in early 2001. The oldie beans are 8 yo and the KaliX are 7. 8 KaliX beans and 4 NL. I used the vials 2nd from the left and 2nd from the right.

Seeds01.jpg

I took a couple of shots in the room just so you can see the 2nd tub hasn't died on me. If anything it's doing better than the one with the fresh nutes. They're still smaller but were to start. I did the one nute change after the stretch had stopped. 49 days and AOK.

A few plants from the FrankenTub.
Day_49_37_1212_2ndTub.jpg

A group shot with the Good tun in the front.
Day_49_37_1212_02.jpg

Just a bud from the FrankenTub.
Day_49_37_1212_2ndBud.jpg

man those are looking good. how far into flowering are you? im approaching my 3rd week of flowering and dont see any trics yet. lots of hair tho.

:thanks: MountainHigh. You and OldMedMan have a Rockin' New Year too. :cheer:

C'ya L8r. :peace:

Back
Top Bottom