Little Green Man's Plantation - Round II

Day 70

Plants are awesome. Humbolts own "gravity" is in the res at 1.5 ml per 5 gallons along with 1250 ppm of the sensi A &B bloom and big bud.

They are drinking about 5-8 gallons of water per day.

The nugs are pretty big but for the most part they are not as dense as i'd like. There are two plants that just have ROCK hard nugs which is awesome, but the other 8 are just so so. Still got another 15-20 days to go so hopefully they'll shape up. I'm sure they will.

Thanks for stoppin by. any questions? please feel free to ask.

HPIM27871.JPG
HPIM2786.JPG
HPIM2785.JPG
HPIM2783.JPG
HPIM2782.JPG
HPIM27841.JPG

Wow you finished drying them already? 2.1 zips from one plant is awesome. :high-five:

Yeah I didn't post about it but until this grow I'd been chopping my plants and trimming them the same day. this was sticky operation that took all day.

for this grow I took it upon myself to email a despensary in colorado and ask how they dry their plants for optimum taste and smell. this is what I got:

The goal of drying is to handle your herb as little as possible before it is dry. Handling of the herb and especially trimming, which causes more pores to become exposed, allows more terpenes to be released from the herb and will dissipate in to the air. You do not want this to happen until the herb is to be placed in to a mason jar where all of the flavors and aromas escaping will be captured and sealed within a confined space to "soak" with the herb indefinitely adding a more pungent flavor and aroma.

I see many people (approx .75% of people) trimming while harvesting fresh plants. This is just lazy, the main reasons I see people doing this:

1. Faster drying time when pre trimmed. (Duh, of course it will dry faster, you're getting rid of a ton of moist foliage. This causes unevenly dried buds and will most likely cause your buds to become over-dry, or you will most likely jar them when they are still too moist. Both are disasters. Another problem with this is that the moisture is leaving so quickly and unevenly that the starches, filaments and pigments are not being broken down by the enzymes which require moisture to fully do their job. It takes roughly 8-10 days for the enzymes still in the plant to break everything down within the plant.)

2. Quicker and easier to trim. (This is arguable. I trim a pound a day to perfection by myself with completely dry buds. The leaves when completely dry simply break and drop right off, I rarely even need to use scissors, just pull the leaves back and don't touch the delicate buds.)

The best advice I can give is to not base your decision making in harvesting on your wallet, calender or even the amount of herb you have on hand. Patience. Allow the plant to finish it's cycle. This drying process is such a key part of the whole grow I can't stress it enough. I've seen so many great looking crops just become ruined because of this.

When you cut a plant and hang to dry, the transport of fluids within the plant continues, but at a much slower rate. Stomata close soon after harvest, and drying is slowed since little water vapor escapes. The natural plant processes slowly come to an end as the plant dries. The outer cells are the first to dry, but fluid still moves from the internal cells to supply moisture to outer cells which are dry. When this process occurs properly, plants dry evenly throughout. Removing leaves and large stems upon harvest speeds up drying; however, moisture content within the "dried" buds, leaves and stems is uneven. If buds are dried too quickly, chlorophyll and other pigments, starch, nitrates are trapped within plant tissue, making it taste green, burn unevenly and taste bad.

When dried relatively slowly, over a period of seven days or longer, moisture evaporates evenly in to the air, yielding uniformly dried buds. Slowly dried buds taste sweet and smoke smooth. Taste and aroma improve when pigments breakdown. Slow even drying where moisture content is the same throughout stems, foliage and buds allows enough time for the pigments to degrade. Hanging entire plants to dry allows this process to take place over time.

I chopped down 1 plants 6 days before the others because I wanted to test this method before I did it to all my plants. I'm pleased to say that it worked GREAT.

I just chopped the whole plant and hung it and it dried nice and slowly. temps were 73 and RH was 50-60%. When the 6 days were up i just pulled the leaves off with my hands and chopped off the stems. it was EASSY

I just harvested my 2nd of the 10 plants and got 2.8 oz off of that one.
I'm really curious to see what I get off the big ones that were just one solid cola.

I've given the first 2.1 oz to my patient without curing because I don't want to have over the legal limit in my house but I plan on curing this bud as long as I can in the jars. Its got just enough moisture in it to make for a nice cure without having to worrry about mold. needless to say i'll be drying my plants using the aforementioned method every time.

LGM, what an amazing grow u put on my man! Whens the next round with the new beans? Hope you will post a link to the grow when its up and running.

Hey man. Glad you liked it. Ended up getting about 2.5 zips per plant.

For the next grow I decided to go soil. The Ebb and Gro was giving me nothing but problems and changing out the tubing and rinsing all the rocks inbetween grows is just a rediculous amount of work to have to do from an apartment.

I have 6 easyryders and a red dwarf autoflower and a demois autoflower in the mail.

I've got 8, 5 gallon pots full of a 70/30 mix of FF happy frog and perlite . I bought all sorts of beneficial bacterias for the soil too and some worm castings.

The pots are all setup and I have 3 drip stakes per pot. I hoooked those all up to a main line and I'm using the ebb and gro res as a water supply. I'm going to mix a big ass batch of nutes and have the drippers come on every 2 days at first for about 5 minutes.

I'll definitely post a link to the new journal when its up.

take it easy guy s :peacetwo:

Thanks for sharing your grow with us!

Don't forget to head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too! :cheer:

I’m moving this to completed journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please start one here:
Journals in Progress

Hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom