Living Organic Coco - LOC

Quality over quantity for sure!

20170715_161441.jpg
20170715_161733.jpg
20170715_161705.jpg
20170715_161650.jpg
20170715_161654.jpg

Finally finsihed!! All lights are go! Will flip on sunday

It is very bright! Much brighter then i can remember my 1kw hps. I cant wait to make the switch to docs kit. The kit + these lights should be insane! I have some time to get it started but i cannot wait. Just have to make sure with the inlaws but im sure its not an issue. We already keep a lot of stuff there for storage

Thought id share for anyone interested building a light! Cob is now old tech lol! These boards are cheaper and more efficient. I will be making some wavy boards next with maybe a couple cobs.

So... why have I decided on PCB board lights as being the best for growing?
Efficiency (of course), and penetration. Wait a second...these boards have 304 little 0.3W diodes. People have always said low or mid power diodes don't penetrate! Shiggity must be hitting the Huckleberry Kush rosin again! He's saying that low power diodes penetrate better than the king of penetration the 1000W de hps. He can't be serious right? I am as serious as a catholic school nun baby and this is why!

Penetration is an interesting subject. In the past most people have referred to a single point source of light like an hps being best at "penetration" but the truth is that most photons are blocked by the first layer of leaves they encounter! Think about one of the most efficient grow styles, the scrog. HPS or led no light is getting through that scrog layer if you are doing things right.

So what is penetration defined? I would say it means how much of the % of plant leaves are going to be hit with good light?
The answer is slightly counterintuitive. But makes a lot of sense when you think of it.

Really the more sources of light...the more the emission is spread out the better the penetration of light into the canopy. If we are doing our jobs right the entire canopy will block light that is traveling vertically downward.

The key is that a spread out light source will hit the plants at all different angles increasing penetration of the canopy. Take this example. There is a cola directly underneath an hps. It will get light directly from above. On the sides it will get light that has reflected off the walls. But there will be shadows on that cola. Places that never get good light.

With a cob array that cola will be illuminated from all sides. Much fewer shadows, therefore better penetration.

In the past I have seen people argue that LEDs don't cut it because of lack of penetration. Especially low wattage diodes. But the truth is that a photon is a photon. A single photon won't travel any faster or slower or farther if it is from an hps or from a 0.3W diode. That photon will behave exactly the same as any photon of the same wavelength. So really we need to think of how many total photons are traveling in the direction of the plants.

A perfect light source would be a uniform light "film" that had a completely spread out light emittance. It would throw photons evenly across the whole canopy.

Right now the closest thing to that are quantum style boards. 304 Samsun Lm561c diodes on one rectangular plate. Or sunboards with 240 diodes. Or chilled boards etc. These Samsung based boards all beat hps and cobs because:
1. Light is spread out evenly
2. Efficiency is higher (more photons per watt than any other current method)
3. Emission from many low watt high efficiency sources means the least amount of heat. (I can put my boards less than 12" from canopy and the plants are fine. There are no dark spots and no hot spots because the light emission is so spread out.
We are looking to create the most diffuse emission of the most photons per watt. This creates the most "penetration" and is one of the reasons why high efficiency mid power diode boards are the new best choice for maximum canopy penetration.

You nailed it shiggs, the cobs are great, but these boards are more efficient and the light is more evenly dispersed. Cobs are like 100 single diodes in one point.

I'm glad and extremely satisfied with my cobs, but all my new builds will be boards. The great thing is the price. Some of these boards are priced low, $40-50 a board...

Yeah shiggs! You and buck put out some great info that people should know. Who knows maybe ill add a board or two to the tent. Anything else i make will be in a series with cobs in the corner and wavy in the middle. Love it!!

Hey anyone using docs kit. What do you think about this compost bin. Id dump everything in and tumble it around then let it cook.

Screenshot_20170716-134920.png

Cant wait to order some kit! I could probably keep that on the balcony

That flex stuff looks interesting. I saw they had a flex tape that cures. Good luck hope that solves your problems! I cant wait to see your sog!

Are you going AN iguana juice for that grow?? It looks like its 3 bottles for the whole grow. 1 grow 1 bloom 1 ancient forest or something and you can add one or two more organic addatives. It will probably go great in the dewey. The reviews rave about it and its strong like the sensi. I wonder how long 1 liter would last. They say it doesnt smell too so thats nice. Organic aero! The only thing is its not ph tech and do you need a special ph down or up?

Back
Top Bottom