LKABudMan Grows A Green Crack Auto In The VIVOSUN Smart Grow System - Sponsored by VIVOSUN

Date: 1/10/23 - Day# 11
Strain - FastBuds Green Crack Auto Fem (NASC)
Grow space - The 'Playpen' - a 32x32x60 tent outfitted with the VIVOSUN Smart Grow System in -Seedling- Mode
- AeroLight* - The world’s first 100W LED grow light with an integrated circulatory fan
- 00:00-04:00 OFF
- 04:00-24:00 Spectrum:Seedling, Intensity:75%, Sunrise/Sunset: YES (18" away 22.4 DLI)
- Circulation Fan*
- 00:00-24:00 Low Speed
- AeroZesh* - 4" Ultra powerful automated exhaust fully programmable through the GrowHub
- 00:00-04:00 High 75F / 66% RH, default off
- 04:00-24:00 High 84F / 68% RH, default off
- Growhub* - Controls all tent equipment simultaneously
* All controlled through the VIVOSUN App
Medium - 4" pot with mix of FFHF with 1t Geoflora Veg + 1t Dynomyco
Other - Humidifier with distilled water set to 60% RH
Other - 8" floor fan
Water - Carbon-filtered well water (100ppm)

It was a quiet weekend in the Playpen. Emmy's still on her first full pot of water, though I've given her 30ml around the edge of the pot a few times. I like to 'tease' the roots to the outside as much as possible while she works on draining the pot.

She's working on her third node, and she's still only 2.5" tall. That's not a problem, though, I love to see those lower nodes stacked right on top of each other.

#VIVOSUN #SmartGrowSystem #LoveWhatYouGrow

It's amazing how committed you are to the control process LKA! Most folks would just lower the light a few inches and call it a day. :)
When you change a @VIVOSUN Smart Grow System recipe you need to go through ALL of the components on that stage before confirming the changes.
I wonder if that's a conscious programming choice on their part or the only way the software can figure it out. I guess it would need completely separate modules for any one to be able to handle a change and leave the others as is.
I figured out today that you can schedule the next stage for a future date. So, I went in and scheduled the system to change on Saturday from Seedling to VEG.
That's a cool feature...talk about automation!

Good morning growmie :)

You know I’m here for your grow. But I feel I have to give you some feedback. I want to talk about your arrow placeage. Your grow is so modern. Displaying the newest and most impressive technology and science. And yet your arrows look like they are straight out of the 70’s and written with a blunt crayon.

Exhibit A

1869E1DD-E197-481B-A631-A1136A5CBC73.jpeg

If you continue with this practice, I’ll be forced to report you for UAU (Ugly Arrow Usage), which I think is a banable offence. There has been talk about making me the Arrow Mod. We take our arrows seriously.

Your Emmy continues to slay babe! Go you! She looks super healthy!

Good morning growmie :)

You know I’m here for your grow. But I feel I have to give you some feedback. I want to talk about your arrow placeage. Your grow is so modern. Displaying the newest and most impressive technology and science. And yet your arrows look like they are straight out of the 70’s and written with a blunt crayon.

Exhibit A

1869E1DD-E197-481B-A631-A1136A5CBC73.jpeg

If you continue with this practice, I’ll be forced to report you for UAU (Ugly Arrow Usage), which I think is a banable offence. There has been talk about making me the Arrow Mod. We take our arrows seriously.

Your Emmy continues to slay babe! Go you! She looks super healthy!
Ok so how did you add those arrows? "Hi, I'm LKABudMan, and I'm arrow challenged". Teach me...

Date: 1/12/23 - Day# 13
Grow space - The 'Playpen' - a 32x32x60 tent outfitted with the VIVOSUN Smart Grow System in -Seedling- Mode (Veg mode scheduled 1/14)
- AeroLight* - The world’s first 100W LED grow light with an integrated circulatory fan
- 04:00-24:00 Spectrum:Seedling, Intensity:85%, Sunrise/Sunset: YES (18")
- Circulation Fan*
- AeroZesh* - 4" Ultra powerful automated exhaust fully programmable through the GrowHub
Other - 8" floor fan

Emmy is starting to get her feet under her. She seemed to respond well to me increasing the @VIVOSUN AeroLight intensity from 60% -> 75% so I increased it to 85% today. I'll nudge it up to 90% tomorrow, then it's scheduled to go into veg mode @ 100% on Saturday.

Look @Trala new arrows! And thanks for the nudge ;)

She was about 25% of her full weight this morning so I decided to go ahead and water her. To get her used to her SIP environment I let her absorb the water through the bottom of the pot, also known as 'butt-chugging'. I figured that this would give her the moisture gradient she needs to get used to in the SIP.

I put Emmy in a larger container, then put 100ml in the container.

While I waited on her to absorb the water through the bottom, I watered a mother I'm keeping, Linda II. She was trimmed last week, and she's been neglected since.

When I came back 10-15 minutes later, Emmy had absorbed most of the water.

I weighed her before and after, so I know she absorbed 67ml of water. Not bad for a first bottom watering. As long as she responds well, I'll keep giving her 30+ml/day through the bottom, depending on how much she goes through the previous day. As soon as she can go through more than 50% of her pot in 24 hours, she goes into the SIP.

Date: 1/13/23 - Day# 14
Grow space - The 'Playpen' - a 32x32x60 tent outfitted with the VIVOSUN Smart Grow System in -Seedling- Mode (Veg mode scheduled 1/14)
- 04:00-24:00 Spectrum:Seedling, Intensity:85%, Sunrise/Sunset: YES (18")
- Circulation Fan*
Other - 8" floor fan

I bottom-watered Emmy again this morning. She's pushing out her fourth node and I can see roots coming out of the bottom of the pot. And look at those lower nodes coming out!

I think she's just about ready to go into the SIP. Bottom-watering for the past couple of days is the first step. Tomorrow I've scheduled the @VIVOSUN Smart Grow System to transition to Vegetative mode. She'll get 100% light, and the spectrum will change from Seedling to Vegetative.

I'll let her dry out tomorrow to get ready for transplant. Then Sunday I'll put her in her forever home, a 5 gallon bucket with a GroBucket SIP insert. It's filled with FFHF soil amended with Geoflora Veg and was watered thoroughly over a week ago.

It's been sitting in my basement at 40% RH, so it's dried out some. I'll water Emmy good when I transplant. Then I'll keep just a little water in the SIP res at first. There should be plenty of nutrients in the soil to start her in the SIP with plain water. I'm hoping by the time she gets hungry she'll be ready for flowering nutes!

Oh, and if you're worried about Linda II (she looked pretty bad yesterday), don't be. She bounced back, she always does ;)

That lower growth already looks really good!
I'm excited about that too. On Pebbles I kept all her nodes and the lowest nodes produced very well. Im hoping for the same with Emmy.
I like the bottom water idea to prep for the SIP...I wonder if that will reduce the transition time that SIPpers mention when transplanting. :hmmmm:
That's what I'm hoping for. Tomorrow she goes into the SIP so we'll know soon enough.

Date: 1/16/23 - Day# 17
Grow space - The 'Playpen' - a 32x32x60 tent outfitted with the VIVOSUN Smart Grow System in -Vegetative- Mode
- 04:00-24:00 Spectrum:Vegetative, Intensity:100%, Sunrise/Sunset: YES (18")
- Circulation Fan*
- 00:00-4:00 - Speed 3 of 10
- 04:00-24:00 - Natural Wind
- 00:00-04:00 High 75F / 60% RH, default off
- 04:00-24:00 High 84F / 65% RH, default off
Medium - 5 gallon SIP bucket with FFHF soil amended with 1/3c Geoflora Veg + Dynomyco
Other - 8" floor fan
Weekly Temperatures

The @VIVOSUN Smart Grow System is doing a fantastic job of keeping my VPD right around 1.0, as long as I don't let the humidifier run out. I'm hoping I won't need the humidifier much longer. The system went into VEG mode on Saturday just as scheduled. This changed the light spectrum and reduced the humidity slightly.

After a full bottom-watering on Friday, Saturday I didn't really water Emmy at all. I put about 10ml of water in her bottom-watering cup and left her in it so there was extra moisture below her roots. Sunday she was as light as she's been since going into the 4" pot.
NOTE: This is the last time weight, %wet, and diff will show on this spreadsheet. They're great for tracking water usage in the 4" pots, but not much use when tracking in the SIP. I'll hide those cells from now on.

Time to go into the SIP! First I sprayed Emmy's rootball and coated it with @DYNOMYCO. Then I took the placeholder pot out of the SIP bucket and put Emmy in the hole. I gently pressed in around the outside and she fit almost perfectly. Then I used my @VIVOSUN sprayer to soak the rootball and the area around the transplant to make sure she was fully integrated. Finally, I put 1 liter of water in the SIP.

I'm still kicking myself for not taking a picture of the roots before adding some Dynomyco. She did have outside (feeder) roots but not as much as usual. She had more roots around the bottom of the pot than usual, and they look more like water roots than air roots (less fuzzy). I think bottom-watering accomplished what I was hoping it would in giving her water roots at the bottom.

This morning one side of the SIP bucket looked moist on top, and the other side was dry. The res still had water in it from the 1L I put in yesterday. These two things make me believe the SIP res was not wicking into the pot fully. The SIP instructions state that you should water the SIP enough to start the wicking action. Using only the sprayer, I'm not sure this was accomplished. So I used about 1L to water the pot thoroughly, especially around the outside where the SIP will wick.

My plan was to introduce Emmy to the SIP res gently, keeping the res mostly empty for the first few days. After thinking about her water roots and the issues with fully saturating the SIP, I decided to go ahead and fill the SIP res this morning. If I really did a good job of creating water roots in the 4" pot, she shouldn't have any problem with a full SIP res. I guess I'll find out in the next couple of days.

Oh, and since I'm not top feeding I topped Emmy with river rocks (soaked in H2O2 first) to retain more moisture at the top of the bucket. It looks like I'll need a few more, though.

My plan was to introduce Emmy to the SIP res gently, keeping the res mostly empty for the first few days. After thinking about her water roots and the issues with fully saturating the SIP, I decided to go ahead and fill the SIP res this morning. If I really did a good job of creating water roots in the 4" pot, she shouldn't have any problem with a full SIP res. I guess I'll find out in the next couple of days.
Totally agree with your thinking here. Keeping lower initial levels in the reservoir helps to transition a normal plant over to the wetter conditions of the SIP but, with you having already done that in the smaller container, that transition period should not be necessary.

Game on!

Nice job on that smooth and seamless upcan! And I think the first pic of the roots was clear enough that you can stop kicking yourself now. :)
I think bottom-watering accomplished what I was hoping it would in giving her water roots at the bottom.
Good to know! I found the small SIPs that RD posted in the SIP thread to be a lot more trouble than either bottom watering as you have or what @Carmen Ray and @Carcass did with wicks in the first pots.
since I'm not top feeding I topped Emmy with river rocks (soaked in H2O2 first) to retain more moisture at the top of the bucket. It looks like I'll need a few more, though.
Pretty too. :thumb:

Totally agree with your thinking here. Keeping lower initial levels in the reservoir helps to transition a normal plant over to the wetter conditions of the SIP but, with you having already done that in the smaller container, that transition period should not be necessary.

Game on!
Thanks Az.
She looks happy to be home, I see nothing but good things coming her way.
I'm ready for her to take off!
Nice job on that smooth and seamless upcan! And I think the first pic of the roots was clear enough that you can stop kicking yourself now. :)
But the roots were so white and pretty without all that dust...
Good to know! I found the small SIPs that RD posted in the SIP thread to be a lot more trouble than either bottom watering as you have or what @Carmen Ray and @Carcass did with wicks in the first pots.
We'll see how she transitions, but it seems to have worked well.
Pretty too. :thumb:
That never hurts ;)

You could use a similar hempy type cup like you clone in. Perlite up a bit past the hole, then soil above. It has an internal reservoir so no external wicks or other complications.

I tilt the cup when I put in the perlite so i get a wedge of perlite around the overflow hole as well as soil all the way to the bottom of the cup.

I think these mini-sips prepare the plant a bit better since it's the exact same environment they'll be dealing with when they grow up.

You could use a similar hempy type cup like you clone in. Perlite up a bit past the hole, then soil above. It has an internal reservoir so no external wicks or other complications.
I tilt the cup when I put in the perlite so i get a wedge of perlite around the overflow hole as well as soil all the way to the bottom of the cup.
Interesting! I will try that with the next perlite clone that has roots. :thanks:

Date: 1/18/23 - Day# 19
Grow space - The 'Playpen' - a 32x32x60 tent outfitted with the VIVOSUN Smart Grow System in -Vegetative- Mode
- 04:00-24:00 Spectrum:Vegetative, Intensity:100%, Sunrise/Sunset: YES (18")
- Circulation Fan*
- 00:00-4:00 - Speed 3 of 10
- 04:00-24:00 - Natural Wind
- 00:00-04:00 High 75F / 60% RH, default off
- 04:00-24:00 High 84F / 65% RH, default off
Medium - 5 gallon SIP bucket with FFHF soil amended with 1/3c Geoflora Veg + Dynomyco
Other - 8" floor fan

Emmy has had a rough week. It started with her getting up-potted to the SIP on Sunday. Then yesterday I noticed her 5th node peeking up enough to get some scissors on it (along with some pretty pistils). So, off with her head!

So not only does she need to get her roots under her in the new SIP bucket, but she also has to start growing all of those lower nodes. That's a lot to ask from her all at once.

The good news is that she has it made from here on out. The @VIVOSUN Smart Grow System is going to keep her environment perfect. The AeroLight will be shining down on her 20 hours a day. She gets to drink as much as she wants from the SIP. And as soon as she gets hungry (her cotyledons are still dark green), I have some @Remo Nutrients for her to munch on.

I'm hoping she's ready for me to start LST in a few days. I've viewed the playback on the Wyze camera, and she's still moving and growing in there. I'm just waiting for those top branches to get long enough to put a CarHook on!

Just beautiful.

It’s not just about the way you grow. It’s the way you love and honour your plants. In my heart I grow the same way. Even when it results in snapping arms off, or tearing off plant hands. It’s comes from a place of love lolling.

Just beautiful.

It’s not just about the way you grow. It’s the way you love and honour your plants. In my heart I grow the same way. Even when it results in snapping arms off, or tearing off plant hands. It’s comes from a place of love lolling.
Thanks Trala. These aren't my plants, they're my girls. I love each and every one of them. Yes, even when I'm supercropping and snapping stems everywhere! They may not like it, but I know what's good for them ;)

Back
Top Bottom