Lower leaves turning yellow

joyjason

420 Member
Lower nodes are turning yellow starting from the base towards the tip. If I cut off the nodes, it would just propagate to the nearest one, probably older ones.
Soil: Cocopeat, perlite, compost
Temperature: 26 to 31C, 40 - 60 humidity
Using organic nutes like groundnutcake, neemcake, manure, molasses
Strain: Photoperiod blueberry
Light: Morning sunlight + SF1000D at 9 - 10 inches from canopy
Its the 2nd week of flowering.
133c9eab-4b11-4462-b0d2-816ddcc6cc3d.jpeg
485b1bfa-0e8b-4b9a-80f3-0131a4f3431a.jpeg

Lower nodes are turning yellow starting from the base towards the tip. If I cut off the nodes, it would just propagate to the nearest one, probably older ones.
As @Doctor Trevor mentions these signs that you pointed out are the classic signs that the plant needs more Nitrogen than it can easily get from the soil mixture you are using.

The "groundnut cake" and the "neem cake" are both considered slow release Nitrogen sources. That leaves just the manure for a fast release source and it does not seem to be supplying enough. A good source of fast release Nitrogen is something made with fish. These types of plant fertilizers are easy to get in most gardening stores.

She can definitely use more light but it’s not completely detrimental in this occurrence. Nitrogen is definitely the issue here. Fish emulsion is the way to go for sure @SmokingWings , if you’re trying to keep thing organic.

he's only got a 100w on it. even with the nitro the plant would sacrifice the lowers as it wouldn't be able to support them through flower. think the n might be present, but the plant is concentrating on what it can develop.

edit : considering it's organic fed we can't tell if there's been enough in the media, so lacking n would be valid as well. it looks super under driven to me though.

he's only got a 100w on it. even with the nitro the plant would sacrifice the lowers as it wouldn't be able to support them through flower. think the n might be present, but the plant is concentrating on what it can develop.
She grows many new leaves everywhere and at the same time she start losing lower leaves. Thats what leaves me confused. I believe she gets enough light. Good 5 hours morning sunlight (noticed the side which she receives sunlight has more buds and leaves) and in addition the grow light on the other side.

She grows many new leaves everywhere and at the same time she start losing lower leaves. Thats what leaves me confused. I believe she gets enough light. Good 5 hours morning sunlight (noticed the side which she receives sunlight has more buds and leaves) and in addition the grow light on the other side.

it's concentrating on new growth higher up.

it will do that under two different conditions : it's scrubbing nutes (n) from the lowers to feed the uppers, or it's not getting enough light so it's jettisoning the lowers to concentrate on new leaves that get fed enough light to support the plant. it can also be a combination of the two factors.

She grows many new leaves everywhere and at the same time she start losing lower leaves. Thats what leaves me confused.
The plant has started into flowering. It now needs different amounts and ratios of nutrients as compared to when it is just growing vegetation. If it does not get all the nutrients it needs through the root system then it will start to take from where ever it can find what it needs even if it is from its own leaves.

It is in flower and most of the plant's energy is now directed at growing flowers & buds in preparation to producing seeds. It still needs Nitrogen for the new growth. At this point there is nothing that will fix those older leaves. But, with some water soluble Nitrogen added to the soil it should help slow down the plant's need to take from its own leaves. Before long it will stop producing large fan leaves and the only new leaves will be the sugar leaves sticking out of the buds.

@bluter makes a good point about more light helping the situation. More light can mean healthier leaves. In the first photo is the pink or reddish colored cloth keeping light from the lower part of the plant?

with some water soluble Nitrogen added to the soil it should help slow down the plant's need to take from its own leaves.
As its my first grow, I havnt fed them much during the initial stages of growth. As the nutes are organic, If I could have fed more in the beginning, so would have released more nutes at this time as they are slow releasing. The cloth is for just to turn on stealth mode when there are neighbours hanging around :D. Even though the sunlight reach from top to bottom of its side facing the sun, the supporting growlight feed only the top leaves. But I assume, the nitrogen is what it needs at the moment. More light would probably demand for more nutes.

Soil: Cocopeat, perlite, compost
Temperature: 26 to 31C, 40 - 60 humidity
Using organic nutes like groundnutcake, neemcake, manure, molasses
Strain: Photoperiod blueberry
Light: Morning sunlight + SF1000D at 9 - 10 inches from canopy
Its the 2nd week of flowering.
133c9eab-4b11-4462-b0d2-816ddcc6cc3d.jpeg
485b1bfa-0e8b-4b9a-80f3-0131a4f3431a.jpeg
Are you putting calmag in your plain water first?
Then feeding full strength flowering nutrients according to the schedule @5.8 ph to runoff every day?
Always keeping the Coco wet?
No plain water ever?
That's what you do in Coco. :Namaste:
Do that she will be fine.
Have a great weekend my friend.

#VIVOSUN #Love What You Grow
Bill284 😎

But I assume, the nitrogen is what it needs at the moment.
Very likely that is what the plant needs. Keep in mind that using a fertilizer with Nitrogen at this time or stage of growth does not mean that the entire problem will go away. But if we can reduce the yellowing then we are helping the growth of the plant.

I use a very mild or weak fish product mixed with water at approximately 2 to 4 weeks before the flowering starts. This is an attempt to slow down and stop the problem of the yellow leaves before it starts.
More light would probably demand for more nutes.
Quality light means healthy leaves. More fertilizer mixes or nutrients mean healthier leaves. Healthy leaves will help the plant produce more flowers and better quality flowers.

As its my first grow, I havnt fed them much during the initial stages of growth. As the nutes are organic, If I could have fed more in the beginning, so would have released more nutes at this time as they are slow releasing. The cloth is for just to turn on stealth mode when there are neighbours hanging around :D. Even though the sunlight reach from top to bottom of its side facing the sun, the supporting growlight feed only the top leaves. But I assume, the nitrogen is what it needs at the moment. More light would probably demand for more nutes.
Hello my friend. I just happen to have a young Blueberry photo in veg... I'll show it to you for comparison. It was started Nov. 21. I've got it in a 5 gal pot in my veg greenhouse, under night-interruption lighting to prevent flowering. From late Nov. until now, solar exposure has been low, due to the sun being low to the south. Happily that's starting to improve now.

As others have said... seems you've got a light problem, and also N problem. But she's in flower now, so not a lot you can do except maybe give more light if possible, and make sure she's getting enough P & K, and a good wet/dry cycle on the watering. In the future, consider using a tent or closet and more wattage for light. Window sunlight is really not going to cut it. Also, make sure your grow mix has all the required nutrients for cannabis... NPK, plus all the micro-nutrients. Here's a good guide from Dutch Passion: HERE. To make "living soil," be sure to include worm castings and mycorrhizal fungi.

happy growing! 🌱

seems you've got a light problem, and also N problem
I use a very mild or weak fish product mixed with water at approximately 2 to 4 weeks before the flowering starts
Using fish fertilizer has really helped, a good progress on the upper half.

Here's a good guide from Dutch Passion: HERE.
This is great. I just found out my other autoflower has a calcium deficiency. Running to the store now to buy her some calcium. Probably the blueberry would also need some.

@joyjason Here's my Blueberry, a bit over 2 months old. Recently transferred to a 5 gal pot, now 4 ft tall. She's been kept in the veg greenhouse under night interruption lighting, to prevent flowering. This is growth during our lowest solar exposure of the annual cycle. I'll keep her in veg until she gets about 6 ft tall, then transfer to the flower house.

blueberry1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom