Magnus8's Canna Cream, Body Butter & Canna Lotion Study Hall

It is not so bad if you use a water distiller to reclaim. :circle-of-love::peace:
That's what I use, it's just I wash about 15 grams per pint of everclear and run a max of about 6 ounces at a time. I've got it down to where I can process that much in about four hours, but I'm so strapped for time I have to schedule in advance to do it.

That's what I use, it's just I wash about 15 grams per pint of everclear and run a max of about 6 ounces at a time. I've got it down to where I can process that much in about four hours, but I'm so strapped for time I have to schedule in advance to do it.

It goes much quicker for me, but then again, I am not doing more then 1 oz at a time. :) 6 is going to take a bit longer. :circle-of-love::peace:

Hi Magnus8 and all

Hope everyone's weekend is starting out well. I am waiting for my computer to come back from repair, it has my recipe on it for the body scrub bars. I knew I should have printed that out...hindsight. I am really hoping to get it back today all fixed and working, but no guarantees there. The problem with getting anything repaired for free is that you seem to have no right to expect a timely result. :rofl:

Just wanted to post a little something for thought. For those of you who have Neem oil in the grow to combat critters (of which I have done on a major level with this last grow :laugh:), this oil has been used in soaps and body care recipes for centuries. I'm sure you've all heard of Neem oil soap?

Some of the reported benefits are:

Insecticidal, antifungal and antibacterial properties
Moisturizer
Used for acne, psoriasis, eczema, preventing infections, used for dogs/cats for healthier skin and preventing the dry scaly itchiness, in addition to shinier coats.

To get the best, be sure you have organic cold pressed Neem oil. There are a lot of neem oil sellers out there who are selling something that has very little real neem oil in it, and some of them use a solvent extraction.

Also, it's not a pleasant smell...so a nice essential oil addition might be nice.

Any pro's or con's on Neem oil use Magnus?

:circle-of-love:

Hi Magnus8 and all

Hope everyone's weekend is starting out well. I am waiting for my computer to come back from repair, it has my recipe on it for the body scrub bars. I knew I should have printed that out...hindsight. I am really hoping to get it back today all fixed and working, but no guarantees there. The problem with getting anything repaired for free is that you seem to have no right to expect a timely result. :rofl:

Just wanted to post a little something for thought. For those of you who have Neem oil in the grow to combat critters (of which I have done on a major level with this last grow :laugh:), this oil has been used in soaps and body care recipes for centuries. I'm sure you've all heard of Neem oil soap?

Some of the reported benefits are:

Insecticidal, antifungal and antibacterial properties
Moisturizer
Used for acne, psoriasis, eczema, preventing infections, used for dogs/cats for healthier skin and preventing the dry scaly itchiness, in addition to shinier coats.

To get the best, be sure you have organic cold pressed Neem oil. There are a lot of neem oil sellers out there who are selling something that has very little real neem oil in it, and some of them use a solvent extraction.

Also, it's not a pleasant smell...so a nice essential oil addition might be nice.

Any pro's or con's on Neem oil use Magnus?

Hi Cannafan! Hi everyone else!

I quite like been oil. I bought some a few years ago when I made some pet soaps. Cannafan you are so very correct when you say that it is a vary good oil for killing pests. Works wonders on those happy little yorkies. Hahaha! Seriously, I've never used it in a cream, butter or lotion for two reasons. The first is the smell, though I wonder if the scent of the cannabis might help overpower the been oil. Second, I don't know how well it passes through the skin barrier or if it tends to sit on top of the skin like that dreaded coconut oil.

Can you give us any insight into how long it takes been oil, if it does at all, to pass through the skin barrier, Cannafan?

On another note, everyone... I asked my editor last week if she could look into whether or not my publisher would consider publishing a book written by... Yours Truly... About cream and lotion crafting using cannabis as a primary ingredient. I'm expecting that, given the publisher I have, that they will come back with positive results. I've got a pretty forward thinking publisher, actually. They publish Hilary Clinton's column and her collected writings, for gawds sake. Maybe they won't but I'm banking on they will. That's why I already began writing the book this week!

Wish me fair sailing. Writing non fiction can be a bitch. Mind you, so can writing fiction be a bitch!

I quite like been oil. I bought some a few years ago when I made some pet soaps. Cannafan you are so very correct when you say that it is a vary good oil for killing pests. Works wonders on those happy little yorkies. Hahaha! Seriously, I've never used it in a cream, butter or lotion for two reasons. The first is the smell, though I wonder if the scent of the cannabis might help overpower the been oil. Second, I don't know how well it passes through the skin barrier or if it tends to sit on top of the skin like that dreaded coconut oil.

Can you give us any insight into how long it takes been oil, if it does at all, to pass through the skin barrier, Cannafan?

On another note, everyone... I asked my editor last week if she could look into whether or not my publisher would consider publishing a book written by... Yours Truly... About cream and lotion crafting using cannabis as a primary ingredient. I'm expecting that, given the publisher I have, that they will come back with positive results. I've got a pretty forward thinking publisher, actually. They publish Hilary Clinton's column and her collected writings, for gawds sake. Maybe they won't but I'm banking on they will. That's why I already began writing the book this week!

Wish me fair sailing. Writing non fiction can be a bitch. Mind you, so can writing fiction be a bitch!

Gawddamn auto correct! I wrote NEEM oil, NOT been oil.

I've always read that neem oil penetrates the outer layer of the skin quickly without being greasy. As far as how far it penetrates beyond that, I cannot give you a for sure answer. I do know that people will mix it with other carriers like tea tree oil etc. to assist in deeper penetration (and to combat the smell a bit). Neem oil should not be used full strength on the skin, as it can cause irritations at such a high concentration. It should be diluted in another oil for sure.

Here's a website with some pretty good write ups on it:

Use Neem Oil to Improve Your Skin — and Even Fight Pests - Dr. Axe

I called a relative a bit ago to see what the concoction they used to cure their dogs severe psoriasis/eczema issues with. The poor thing was scratching and biting himself raw on a daily basis. It contained Neem oil and it worked wonders giving the dog great relief.

On the publisher, I sure hope it works out. There are so many doors opening with regards to publishing Marijuana uses, the number of cookbooks out there using Cannabis is proof of that! They are definitely coming around to realize they are money makers, and with all of the legalization going on...they are starting to believe it will not harm them to publish. No longer any where near as controversial as it used to be?

My fingers are crossed for you!

:laugh: I'm sure we all knew what you meant.

Did you notice that it corrected me THREE times?!? I've since added it to my dictionary. Let's see now if it works... I am going to plant this magic neem, I am!

Yep! Works just fine.

It goes much quicker for me, but then again, I am not doing more then 1 oz at a time. :) 6 is going to take a bit longer. :circle-of-love::peace:

Hey SuperGroomer,

I wanted to suggest to you to add some Tea Tree Oil and some Peppermint Oil to your formulation that you've recently devised. They can both be found at either Saffire Blue Soap Making Supplies | Essential Oils | Cosmetic & Spa Supplies | Saffire Blue Inc. | Canada | USA

or at Bramble Berry(R) Soap Making Supplies

Both of these places are soapmaking supplier sites, and they both sell excellent quality essential oils like Tea Tree essential oil and Peppermint essential oil.

Put about 2 or 3 droppers full of each essential oil into an 8 ounce jar of your cream and mix it well. Might need to reheat your concoction to mix it in. Son't add the essential oils while the concoction is too warm, or they will likely burn off. But iff the concoction is still liquid enough but cool enough to the touch to be able to comfortably hold the jar, then you're doing okay. I hope this makes sense.

Now you're probably wondering why I'm suggesting you addd these two elements. These two oils are the traditional means of dealing with pain and discomfort in muscles, joints and tendons when one is not using cannabis. You know that I do not have any cannabis on hand now, and I've mixed these same two oils with some fractionated coconut oil for my wife's arthritis and my back. It certainly doesn't help like cannabis, but it helps tremendously nevertheless. Adding these two oils to your concoction will go a long way in helping to get as some more of that pain that you're both feeling, especially your wife, I would think.

Please try it. I urge you. I'm trying to help in any way I can.

Cannafan, do you want to weigh in on how much these two oils can help? Maybe you could help him more accurately determine how to dose the oils? I just add a couple of droppers full to my carrier oil...

Hey SuperGroomer,

I wanted to suggest to you to add some Tea Tree Oil and some Peppermint Oil to your formulation that you've recently devised. They can both be found at either Saffire Blue Soap Making Supplies | Essential Oils | Cosmetic & Spa Supplies | Saffire Blue Inc. | Canada | USA

Both of these places are soapmaking supplier sites, and they both sell excellent quality essential oils like Tea Tree essential oil and Peppermint essential oil.

Put about 2 or 3 droppers full of each essential oil into an 8 ounce jar of your cream and mix it well. Might need to reheat your concoction to mix it in. Son't add the essential oils while the concoction is too warm, or they will likely burn off. But iff the concoction is still liquid enough but cool enough to the touch to be able to comfortably hold the jar, then you're doing okay. I hope this makes sense.

Now you're probably wondering why I'm suggesting you addd these two elements. These two oils are the traditional means of dealing with pain and discomfort in muscles, joints and tendons when one is not using cannabis. You know that I do not have any cannabis on hand now, and I've mixed these same two oils with some fractionated coconut oil for my wife's arthritis and my back. It certainly doesn't help like cannabis, but it helps tremendously nevertheless. Adding these two oils to your concoction will go a long way in helping to get as some more of that pain that you're both feeling, especially your wife, I would think.

Cannafan, do you want to weigh in on how much these two oils can help? Maybe you could help him more accurately determine how to dose the oils? I just add a couple of droppers full to my carrier oil...

Hey SuperGroomer,

I totally agree, as does history, on the qualities of the oils you suggested.

As far as suggesting what amounts to use?....noooooooooo...not me.
I'm leaving that to those who hold masters' degrees and years of practice on this subject (yourself) as opposed to my kindergarten education level on it. :rofl:

Hey SuperGroomer,

Thanks. I already have a bottle of Peppermint oil. My wife has just started as a Doterra rep so good quality oils are not an issue. We will get a bottle of Tea Tree with the next order. We are just starting to learn about the essential oils. :circle-of-love::peace:

I totally agree, as does history, on the qualities of the oils you suggested.

As far as suggesting what amounts to use?....noooooooooo...not me.
I'm leaving that to those who hold masters' degrees and years of practice on this subject (yourself) as opposed to my kindergarten education level on it. :rofl:

Cannafan,

Your voice is always welcomed and always heard in this study hall.

As is everyone else's.

I mentioned privately but wanted to bring it out publicly that Supergroomer might want to think about adding other carrier oils to his recipe.

I believe that, while the Grape Seed Oil that he has chosen for his concoction is a wonderful carrier, there are other carriers that do an equally if not more so incredible job of carrying the cannabinoids past the skin barrier and down to the skeletal system and overlapping musculature.

Offhand, I'm thinking of oils such as fractionated coconut oil (which works completely different than regular coconut oil and is one of my favourite carriers to use), sweet almond oil, babassu oil,cherry kernal oil, evening primrose oil, hazelnut oil, jojoba oil, kukui but oil, mango butter, meadowfoam seed oil, peach kernal oil, pecan oil, pistachio oil, pomegranate seed oil, pumpkin seed oil (another one of my favourites along with mango butter), rice bran oil, rosehip oil,Shea oil (not to be confused with Shea butter which is very heavy, even if a great carrier), sunflower oil, tamanu oil, and walnut oil.

Truth be told, those were NOT all off the top of my head though many of them were. I consulted one of my favourite lotioncrafting guides while writing that rather long list.

Regardless, any one or more of the above fats works overtime to pass through the skin barrier and both nourish the skin while transporting our precious cargo of cannabinoids past the skin barrier into the body's inner extremities. Maybe some of them might work even better alone or in tandem with another fat to ease pain and discomfort.

I frankly don't know yet. But I'm on a mission to find out. I hope I'm not alone.

Re: Magnus8's Canna Cream - Body Butter - & Canna Lotion Study Hall

That's a great thought. I'll give it a whirl as soon as i get up from my nap. Thanks for the suggestion. I should have thought of it before.

EDIT: Sadly, I cannot edit my first posts. There must be a time limit for editing posts.

Forgive me if this was already attended to, but if you edit the first post and take it to a mod, they can replace your original post with the update. I'm going back in to peruse the pages now. I'm liking what I'm seeing. :hug:

I've been curing some buds that are almost ready to process. I'm going to send a sample in for testing today and start processing tomorrow.

Problem is, using the (qwet) quick wash (ethanol) grain alcohol, method takes allot of time if you want to reclaim most of your ethanol and I have about 20 ounces of high cbd stuff to process.

So the question becomes whether it's more important for you to save money by reclaiming the solvent, or to spend the extra money on solvent and move the job along faster? What's more important to you, time or money? Either choice is good, just pick the one that makes you happiest and run with it. 20 ounces of quality CBD. Wow!

I can tell you from my studies that it's the high THC that'll make the cream most usable as a topical. It's the THC that binds to the receptors in pain and turn the signals off.

You are not alone Magnus. We are in pursuit with you. :)

Sue, yes. We have informed our thread leader here how to edit his first post, or other posts when needed. :thumb: :)

Yeah Canna..... I know better than to jump into a conversation like that after a day or so. :laughtwo: Lord knows what got into me girl. Lol! After I posted it I remembered you were here. :cheesygrinsmiley:

So the question becomes whether it's more important for you to save money by reclaiming the solvent, or to spend the extra money on solvent and move the job along faster? What's more important to you, time or money? Either choice is good, just pick the one that makes you happiest and run with it. 20 ounces of quality CBD. Wow!

I can tell you from my studies that it's the high THC that'll make the cream most usable as a topical. It's the THC that binds to the receptors in pain and turn the signals off.
The strain I'm using has 2:1 THC/cbd. I use so much everclear when I process that not reclaiming would be dangerous. I'll use a total of 2 gallons and can't imagine evaporating that off on a stove top. I also know I'm retaining some turpenes by having a mostly closed process.

Yeah Canna..... I know better than to jump into a conversation like that after a day or so. :laughtwo: Lord knows what got into me girl. Lol! After I posted it I remembered you were here. :cheesygrinsmiley:

:laugh:

Just a little factoid on time limits on editing posts for the rest of the members who may not know. I believe you have 420 minutes in which you can edit your own post. (I don't think that's changed, but if it has, someone feel free to correct me) After that it has to be done by a request to a mod.

Back
Top Bottom