My first grow. California Dream

Well Tigerbalm, first, thanks for stopping in!:thanks:
The burns earlier weren't from the mylar I concluded. They were from the HPS causing the heat to get too high. It was my own stupid mistake because the thermometer that i was using was around 10 degrees F above what the actual temperature was, so by the time i figured this out they were burned.
But a quick change back to the CFL's for two days got them back up and running again!:grinjoint:

Thanks Legalize! I hope that one works out. I got the idea from pan4gold's experimental garden journal. He had several of them. Thought it was a cool idea.
Too bad I just made another mistake with this one. I fed the bud in a cup the water/nutrients that was meant for the rest of the bunch, which was too much for that little plant. Gave it some pretty bad nute burn. So going to flush it with ph water tomorrow probably ...

Thanks Butcher. Awesome that your still taking a look. ive been trying to follow your grow as close as possible but get lost in that journal sometimes! such a great grow you have going on!

And Weed. yeah man they bounced back GREAT I couldnt have hoped it to turn around any better! Im stoked i got that temp issue figured out though cuz that could have been a disaster!!

Anyway. IM gunna go eat some dinner and then I have LOTS of pictures!
I fed them yesterday with FFGB and NSR GJ. And foliar fed them today. And they are lovin it!!

But picture update in about 20 minutes or so!

Well heres the update of photos.
Group shot :yummy::yummy::yummy:
IMG_10482.jpg

My nute burned bud in cup...:hmmmm::hmmmm:
IMG_10492.jpg

And the mystery plants. Still dont have names for them..
IMG_10522.jpg

IMG_10512.jpg

IMG_10503.jpg

IMG_1055.jpg

IMG_10532.jpg

IMG_10582.jpg

IMG_10571.jpg

IMG_1056.jpg

IMG_1059.jpg

part two of the update!!
These are the California Dream! :slide::drool::drool:
IMG_1061.jpg

IMG_1060.jpg

IMG_10652.jpg

IMG_10631.jpg

IMG_1062.jpg

IMG_10691.jpg

IMG_1067.jpg

IMG_1066.jpg

IMG_10701.jpg

I tied them down with a second string tonight AFTER the pics were taken. Im thinking im going to let them start growing back up for maybe 3 days. Then Top them on the 24th, and put them into flowering november 1st. Maybe even a day or two earlier. But that would ideally put me with about 2ft tall plants, and harvest around the first of the year 2010. Would be a good way to start the year!!

no no. they are still tiny. theres some new pics the page before.
i was thinking about growing up to maybe 10 inches then triggering them for 1 plant per sq ft.
but the strain is california dream.

if you dont mind I'll use a couple of my pics to show you howmuch these can stretch.. in my experience its almost always triple.. and they do bush out..

1st day of flower: 8-10 inches

DSCN00602.JPG

day 49 up to 35 inches

DSCN0256.JPG

Most of this height increase happens in the first 3 weeks.

Sativa or Sativa dominant strains can go 4-5 times their size.. Like harryred's grow :)

Nice work on your space and plants.. Still reading through...

Thanks greenblood and dread!! Im hoping it pays off!

THAT is perfect. I was actually looking last night at journals, trying to figure out how much most plants end up stretching.
What do you think MCbudz. For my area, would you suggest putting them to flower now? I can deal with the height (69 inches of vertical space) but the depth and width are the problems, ( only 32"x21").
I understand i will only have room for 6 or MAYBE 8 smaller plants, but what would you suggest would yield the best results? Going with 6 or even less bushier plants, or try to get one or two MORE plants and have them be a little smaller?
Either way i will probably wait another week, maybe a couple of days less before i start flowering. They are tied down twice right now, and about 6-8 inches across and 4-7 inches tall.

I experimented with topping last night one two of plants. Should i wait until the new growth, grows a little more before putting into flowering to regain the new TOP of the plant? If that makes sense??

Also one last question. I leave the plants tied in lst all the way through harvest correct? Ive seen a couple journals where people removed the string and let them grow back vertically. What do you think?

Thanks greenblood and dread!! Im hoping it pays off!

THAT is perfect. I was actually looking last night at journals, trying to figure out how much most plants end up stretching.
What do you think MCbudz. For my area, would you suggest putting them to flower now? I can deal with the height (69 inches of vertical space) but the depth and width are the problems, ( only 32"x21").
I understand i will only have room for 6 or MAYBE 8 smaller plants, but what would you suggest would yield the best results? Going with 6 or even less bushier plants, or try to get one or two MORE plants and have them be a little smaller?
Either way i will probably wait another week, maybe a couple of days less before i start flowering. They are tied down twice right now, and about 6-8 inches across and 4-7 inches tall.

I experimented with topping last night one two of plants. Should i wait until the new growth, grows a little more before putting into flowering to regain the new TOP of the plant? If that makes sense??

Also one last question. I leave the plants tied in lst all the way through harvest correct? Ive seen a couple journals where people removed the string and let them grow back vertically. What do you think?

Let the topped plants grow a week then put to flower. all that vert doesnt help when you have limited area..

In your case I would let the lst go(untie) at onset of flower then as they reach the peak of stretch start tying branches just to even out the canopy. In your case it will be wise to prune back big fan leaves that block light to lower bud sites.

OK good to know about untying them... But that raises another question then, because the total stem length on some of them is around 10 inches...SO if they go back vertically they will be almost 30 inches if they triple in height and any taller is gunna be pushin it for space.
Thanks for the tip on the fan leaves though! Will do that at the end of the stretch in flowering..

So i fed them yesterday with FF GB. NSR GJ. And a capfull of liquid seaweed. Their heaviest feeding. And. WOW. I love feeding my plants before i go to bed, so then i wake up and my jaw drops!

Thanks greengo! Your right! its great to see them almost instantly respond to anything you throw at them. Very communicative.

And thanks butcher!! Im hoping it works out! All of california dream were fem seeds. So i hope the heat at the beginning didnt put them through too much stress.
But to be honest, im almost more excited for the random mystery plants. A couple of them are so bushy that you cant see the mains them unless you pull back oodles of branches.
Its going to be like christmas once those start budding!!

This lady strain has her roots in California. Smoke her and she will take control of your mind, body and soul. Loose your mind and find yourself in a psychadelic californian dream. A large amount of cannabis seeds producer under optimum conditions. BIG FAT BUDS covered with loads of resin.

Taste: The flavour is fresh and strong, like sweet orange juice that has maybe a wee bit of added peppermint sugar in there. If you roll a fat pure spliff of this, you will notice how your mouth begins to water a bit. This is better than a fizzy drink!

High: After the "first wave", if you settle down a bit, you can really get into a groove of creativity: Drawing, writing, making music or just thinking!
Quantity: 10 seeds (+ 20 free marijuana seeds)
Type: indica-sativa
Climate: indoor, outdoor
Yield: 500 gr/m² indoors, 700 gr/m² outdoors
Height: 50-75 cm
Flowering period: 8 weeks
Harvest: beginning of october
Stoned or High: california breeze
THC level: 24%
Grow Difficulty: moderate

24%?!?!?!:grinjoint::grinjoint::grinjoint::grinjoint: whhhhat?!

Now i have tried to find other grow journals of this strain, and i have not found a single completed one, or even one with pictures. period. anywhere. so well see how this goes. i hope it works!!!

yeah I noticed that too. Great job so far. There a thread on here check it maybe you can find it there or add it eventually when your grow is complete. Heres the link:
Medical Marijuana Strain Guide

well I as well as others can't wait to seee how it turns out.Great job bro!:bong:

Thanks to everyone who helped get my journal to 4 stars!! I hope i dont disappoint everyone!!!
And i have a question. So i tried to FIM two of my plants, just to give it a try before doing it to all of them. Did this 3 days ago. And have yet to see any new growth developing at the cut sites? But the rest of the plant is still growing like crazy. I wonder why this is??

Anyway. Im going to transplant them tonight in 1 gallon bags. I figure will probably be their final home as im not trying to get them much bigger. Or would you suggest getting even bigger bags?

Well heres a BIG update for everyone.
I just finished transplanting my plants, 9 of the 11 total. There is 1 bud in a cup, and 1 that i have not done any lst to that im leaving in the smaller grow bag.
The rest i moved to 1 gallon bags, which is where they will stay until harvest, as i need them to be somewhat small due to space.

Anyway here are a bunch of pics starting with California dream.
IMG_10812.jpg

IMG_10834.jpg

IMG_10842.jpg

IMG_10864.jpg

IMG_10885.jpg

IMG_10893.jpg

IMG_10922.jpg

IMG_10952.jpg

IMG_10974.jpg

IMG_10983.jpg

One of the two plants i tried to top which has yet to show any new growth comming from the cut.
IMG_11027.jpg

And the mystery strains!!
IMG_11033.jpg

IMG_11044.jpg

IMG_11064.jpg

IMG_11075.jpg

IMG_11083.jpg

IMG_11104.jpg

IMG_11121.jpg

I cant wait to untie them and watch them do their final stretch!! I really wish i had a bigger tent to really let them get to be monsters. BUT live and learn, and next grow im working on getting at least twice as big of an area so i will really let them grow.
But for now, this is what im working with and i couldnt be happier right now!
They have been vegging for almost a month. And i think are doing really well.
Ive learned A TON! and want to :thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks: to everyone whos been here with me through it all! I cant WAIT to start flowering!!

Well today is the day.
They are growing like crazy. And i really cant afford for them to get much bigger before i switch them to flower. They have been in veg for 5 days short of 1 month.
I set the timer for lights out at 8pm tonight. on 8am.
I untied their LST and am going to finish the 2 gallons i have ready of Grow Big and Grow juice. Then im going to switch to Tiger bloom. I need to go to the hydro store and get another flower nute at some point, but will wait about a week before doing so.
Also I am going to leave the MH in for the first week of flower. Then switch the HPS. I read about that and how before they truly start showing signs of flowering, the MH can continue their growth spurt for the positive. I will read some more about that.
ANyway here is one pic of the group before they start flowering.
10:24_group.jpg

Well Update time. Im on day 3 of flower and the new growth is crazy. They are filling up the closet so fast. They are all about 8 inches tall right now but because of the LST there are a couple that are almost a foot across already.
Temps have been staying steady at 75F during the day and mid-upper 60's at night. PH on the runoff is staying at about 6.5.
They are also starting to smell great! Not yet like weed really, but just the earthy plant smell. Its amazing walking into my room. I need to get some time off of work so i can go get one of the carbon filters i was talking with DREAD about.

Anyway Also have been reading about flowering with a MH lamp. From what i understand it will not yield as much weight (5%-10% less), but much danker buds.
However, I have an increased spectrum HPS lamp, EYE hortilux. So I am debating leaving the MH lamp in for the first 2 weeks of flower. Then switching to the HPS for the next 4-5 Weeks with the HPS, and switching back to the MH for the last 1-2 weeks.
The MH apparently creates a far superior increas in resin glands produces by the plant because it feels the need to protect the buds from the "sun", where as the HPS lamp simulates fall, and the dimmer orange/red light spectrum of the fall "sun", even though it has a far greater lumen output.

Im going to read more about it still, but I want to go on that light switching schedule in hopes to reduce stretch in the beginning by sticking with the MH for the first 2 weeks. Then heavy bud forming in the next 4 to 5 weeks, to add the weight. Then at the end of bud formation give them an added resin boost by switching back to my metal halide lamp. So well see! Will be an experiment.

Anyway, here are some pictures! (you can see the bud in a cup in the back, burned bottom leaves, but coming back from its heavy nute burn from about a week ago)
IMG_11162.jpg

IMG_11173.jpg

The undergrowth after i untied from LST
IMG_11183.jpg

IMG_11193.jpg

And i think somehow at somepoint in the transplanting process, this plant got mixed up because i have it labeled at california dream but the fan leafs look so much different then the other 4 ladies. Much more sativa looking. its much more lanky with longer, thinner leafs than the rest. This is also one of the plants that i FIMed, and its finally starting to bush out again at the to growth.
IMG_11201.jpg

And here is two problem leafs on two different plants. Not really considering it an issue because its ONLY these two leafs, but am keeping a close eye on them. Im thinking light nute burn maybe? Or possibly the beginning to a N lockout.
IMG_11232.jpg

IMG_11242.jpg

And a couple random pics
IMG_11213.jpg

IMG_11222.jpg

Back
Top Bottom