New guy - First grow questions

PerkPot

Hello first post. Just stumbled across this page. A little less than a month into my first grow. I am in NJ and I do have my medical card. I am using living soil and hitting them with Elm Dirt every couple days. What do you all think of the self wicking stands I got from AC Infinity? Do I keep them filled with water? Will they over water my plants? Here are a couple pics. They sprouted about May 22nd. First two are gsc and the second two thc bomb l have two 2x4x6 tents going with two plants in each Keeping the temp around 70-75 and humidity around 70% as best I can Let me know how they look compared to what others are growing
26D05046-015D-46A0-BDF4-6ABF0B9CBEF2.jpeg
93FA080B-D6C5-4113-849C-40A869AB1519.jpeg
073B5AF1-AAF2-4D28-9CB6-78B03268F0FD.jpeg

Hello and welcome to 420mag @PerkPot u just so happen to stumble across a growers gold mine! 🤣 I can't comment on the wicking system as I've never tried it but nice choice on strains and there looking beautiful 👌🏽
As your only a month in i would recommend getting a grow journal started so it's easier to keep track of your growing and if assistance is ever needed the gurus here can see what you've been up to 👍🏽

Happy growing ✌🏽

Welcome PerkPot! Nice first plants! I'm liking the self wickers a lot! There an open Swick journal where there's a bunch of great info and a SIP one for the same if you're interested.
I'm setting up some SIP's now for a grow in a few weeks. Sub Irrigation Is a surprise!
So good to see you're growing! Make a Grow Journal so we can all go back and forth on. My active one is the outdoor one below for now. LOS for the win!

Welcome to 420 Magazine @PerkPot

Nice garden you have there.
I have done DWC and SIP, but I can't give you a good answer, but I would think you need solution in it all the time.

Here's some helpful info.

Welcome New Members - Please Read Before Posting

Here is some information if you would like to start a a grow journal How to Make a Grow Journal

If you want to see want other growers are doing, here's that link. This is where you place your journal.

Journals in Progress

Current and Ongoing
www.420magazine.com

And, after you have over 50 posts you can vote and enter our contest to win free grow stuff from our sponsors.

420 Contests
Win Cool 420 Prizes
www.420magazine.com

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,

Tok..

Beautiful Garden. :welldone:

Welcome to 420Magazine my friend. :welcome:
If I can help with anything let me know. :ciao::high-five:

#VIVOSUN #Love What You Grow
Bill284 😎

welcome. wicked start :cheesygrinsmiley:

you're looking good. how have you been running them til now ?
it does look like a bottom feed system that could get them overly wet. i'd run it a bit thin.

welcome. wicked start :cheesygrinsmiley:

you're looking good. how have you been running them til now ?
it does look like a bottom feed system that could get them overly wet. i'd run it a bit thin.
Hey Bluter. I was just too watering when they were in the 1 gallon buckets. I started the wicking when I repotted into the 5 gallon buckets. I am going to let them wick them remove the water from the bucket and let the plant dry out then add water to wick again. I can use the weight of the plant as a guide. When it’s light wick some water. When it’s heavy it has enough water. I will let everyone know how not works

Hey Bluter. I was just too watering when they were in the 1 gallon buckets. I started the wicking when I repotted into the 5 gallon buckets. I am going to let them wick them remove the water from the bucket and let the plant dry out then add water to wick again. I can use the weight of the plant as a guide. When it’s light wick some water. When it’s heavy it has enough water. I will let everyone know how not works
The advantage of the bottom watering systems, whether Swick or SIP, is that there's never a pause in growth like you get in the dry cycle because we  have no dry cycle. So, taking them off the stand and letting them dry out will defeat one of the major advantages of using the thing in the first place.

Better to try to dial in the size and number of wicks used for your pot and plant size and then adjust the wicks as needed as the plant gets bigger.

The advantage of the bottom watering systems, whether Swick or SIP, is that there's never a pause in growth like you get in the dry cycle because we  have no dry cycle. So, taking them off the stand and letting them dry out will defeat one of the major advantages of using the thing in the first place.

Better to try to dial in the size and number of wicks used for your pot and plant size and then adjust the wicks as needed as the plant gets bigger.
Thanks for the info. I currently have two wick strings under each pot. Maybe I will drop to one until the plants get bigger. I am liking the results so far.

Hello first post. Just stumbled across this page. A little less than a month into my first grow. I am in NJ and I do have my medical card. I am using living soil and hitting them with Elm Dirt every couple days. What do you all think of the self wicking stands I got from AC Infinity? Do I keep them filled with water? Will they over water my plants? Here are a couple pics. They sprouted about May 22nd. First two are gsc and the second two thc bomb l have two 2x4x6 tents going with two plants in each Keeping the temp around 70-75 and humidity around 70% as best I can Let me know how they look compared to what others are growing
26D05046-015D-46A0-BDF4-6ABF0B9CBEF2.jpeg
93FA080B-D6C5-4113-849C-40A869AB1519.jpeg
073B5AF1-AAF2-4D28-9CB6-78B03268F0FD.jpeg
Welcome @PerkPot you couldnt ask for a better place to be" no my way better than yours" just friendly discussions' I think you will find more than a few old stoners along with mature younger one, its a awesome place
I just got done Transplanting my girls out of the Infinity swicks. my first attempt at a sip/swick. I ran into problems about week 5 went thru every thing cal/mag, soil to hot I mean Im using a sip could'nt be over watering ,well it was o_O when I opened up the res it was like I has 4 mopheads attached the others were worse
IMG_3957.jpg
My problem was I always grow under a SCROG net so when I start filling my net My plants dont move till CHOP time (the day better than Christmas) and in all the research I did I never found the tiny disclaimer that recommend cleaning and changing water every 2 weeks. So yesterday I transferred them to GRO POTs when I took off the Fabic bag I was shocked I never seen so many roots, I actully had to cut away roots. I put about a in of perlite on the bottom when I first filled it ,the roots had grown so thick the swick was keeping my water about 1/4 away from the top so I was Drowning them. as long as you can get the over grow to min you should be fine. I did really like the swick and I might try them again, but I will use them for starts Im growing , it would be perfect to transfer a starter into a 1to 3 gallon pot and let it get use to the bottom. any way I'm rambling if you have any questions just PM me and Im sure there are more who can offer better advice
Remember you can use 1 or 2 wicks and different sizes once you find your sweet spot you will be fine
your plants look great ! Good Job
again welcome to 420mag
Savvage61 (when I said there are a few old stoners My avatar name says it all. no i didn't pick 61 becuase I liked it lol )

Greetings PerkPot and welcome to :420:

I haven't used that Infinity system but I suspect that rope wicks too much too quickly.

I started out on perlite wicking beds and changed over to cloth wicking pads with several wicks extending into the res. I only top watered on occasion and only a little to wet the top soil, and a couple of times to get calmag to the roots. The cloth I used was great for wicking and I didn't have any over-watering issues. I followed advice from seasoned SWICKers in the SWICK threat and cut up an old cloth grow bag to use for wicking and that works well.

I wouldn't put the plants through a dry cycle when sub-irrigating. I think fine feeder roots develop specifically for damp soil.

I wish you a wonderful grow. Your plants look super happy and healthy btw! I look forward to seeing your first journal.

I wouldn't put the plants through a dry cycle when sub-irrigating. I think fine feeder roots develop specifically for damp soil.
That's a really good point. These bottom watering systems cause the plants to grow a different type of root from those in a normal pot, roots specialized for the wetter than normal environment and, if you mess with that, you're asking for issues.

as everyone has mentioned, you can change the wick or number of wicks to regulate how the plant feeds

Whatever you're doing is working for sure!

I'm on my first grow as well, and my seeds sprouted on May 26, 4 days after yours. So comparatively, mine are really lagging. I'm growing outdoors and I haven't fertilized, having read that they need to have a couple more sets of leaves or I could burn the delicate roots at this early stage. Is that wrong, should I be fertilizing?

IMG_1917.JPG

Whatever you're doing is working for sure!

I'm on my first grow as well, and my seeds sprouted on May 26, 4 days after yours. So comparatively, mine are really lagging. I'm growing outdoors and I haven't fertilized, having read that they need to have a couple more sets of leaves or I could burn the delicate roots at this early stage. Is that wrong, should I be fertilizing?

IMG_1917.JPG
Mine are indoors in a controlled environment getting 18 hours of light and 6 hours of dark with temps around 72-75 and humidity around 70%. What kind of soil did you use? I bought some ‘elite’ living soil online. It’s pricey but the plants really seem to like it and I am hitting them lightly with Elm Dirt Plant Juice. They grow an inch every time I use that lol. Here are pics from today.

82280AE2-0622-4272-A8ED-E20D6A18EEF1.jpeg

E10C2F01-A310-43E0-BD2E-3E4562C18A8C.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom