Newbie Grower, Carmen Auto x Diva, Outdoors

Looks like roots have passed away. xxx
She isn't going to improve sorry. :Namaste:
If there is any buds not rotten yet grab them.

Stay safe
Bill

Bill, thank you.

Bill, thank you.
I'm so sorry my friend.
No coming back from that.
Wish I had a suggestion.
Hopefully you can get decent soil.
Didn't think it would be a problem there.
Given the growth history.
If you need anything im always around.

Stat safe
Bill

Would be helpful if you could show a picture of the roots so we could see the structure. That would confirm the suspicions.
I apologize, if there is a proper way to perform an autopsy, I don't know what it is.
I turned the bucket upside down, and then tried to put the soil that came out on its side.
We all suspected the soil was bad, and that the roots were under-developed.
I am sure you all will know better what to make of this.
And, so I compost the root ball? Or what do I do with the root ball?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Hopefully in the future I will do better with soil and watering.

I'm so sorry my friend.
No coming back from that.
Wish I had a suggestion.
Hopefully you can get decent soil.
Didn't think it would be a problem there.
Given the growth history.
If you need anything im always around.

Stat safe
Bill

Thanks, Bill! I think I can doctor the dirt now.
Hopefully in future grows there will not be such a problem.
I would be very interested to know your take on the roots.

Thanks, Bill! I think I can doctor the dirt now.
Hopefully in future grows there will not be such a problem.
I would be very interested to know your take on the roots.
Should be a big ball.
There is no support structure to those roots.
Big main down the center circled by a network of lateral roots is common on a healthy girl.
Throw all that in the garbage. :Namaste:
Compost raw vegetables and coffee grinds.
Not a bad root in bad soil.
Work on getting good soil and Em's watering techniques to build roots.

Stay safe
Bill

Ok, so roots look consistent with the type of soil they were growing in. Not much in the way of top feeder roots, but a decent looking tap root that looks to be fighting its way through the soil. Nice color, so they weren't rotten or suffering from root rot, so overwatering doesn't look like an issue.

I think you are on your way. Fix the soil with a lot more aeration (maybe sand, or more perlite /rice hulls) and compost (or a different base) and I think your results will improve markedly. :thumb:

Should be a big ball.
There is no support structure to those roots.
Big main down the center circled by a network of lateral roots is common on a healthy girl.
Throw all that in the garbage. :Namaste:
Compost raw vegetables and coffee grinds.
Not a bad root in bad soil.
Work on getting good soil and Em's watering techniques to build roots.

Stay safe
Bill

Bill, thank you.
Will do.
Happy growing.

Ok, so roots look consistent with the type of soil they were growing in. Not much in the way of top feeder roots, but a decent looking tap root that looks to be fighting its way through the soil. Nice color, so they weren't rotten or suffering from root rot, so overwatering doesn't look like an issue.

I think you are on your way. Fix the soil with a lot more aeration (maybe sand, or more perlite /rice hulls) and compost (or a different base) and I think your results will improve markedly. :thumb:
Azimuth,
Thank you.
I hope the next grow will be much better!

Azimuth, Bill, do rice hulls hold water?
I was thinking not to use rice hulls, to aerate the soil more (because this soil is too wet).
Is that wrong?

I was thinking not to use rice hulls, to aerate the soil more (because this soil is too wet).
Is that wrong?
If you can't get perlite rice hulls are great for compact soil. :thumb:
No rice just hulls.

Stay safe
Bill

Is that wrong?
Your soil is too dense so adding anything to help break up the clay balls will help. Any organic matter will hold water as it softens and starts to break down, but moisture in the soil is a good thing. Wet soil, on the other hand, is another matter.

I add sand to my mix. It brings silica which helps to strengthen the plant stems, as well as other minerals like rock dusts do, but also adds to the drainage so I get a twofer. Loams can grow great plants. Loam is "a fertile soil of clay and sand containing humus."

So, I'm not saying your clay is a problem. I'm saying the amount of clay to other stuff is upside down. If you can add lots of organic material to your mix and mix it in well, those particles will get in between the flat clay particles and make them less sticky, helping the tilth all around. And the clay really does bring good stuff to the mix.

But you shouldn't have anything like big clumps that stick together. You should be able to hold a clump in your hand and easily push a finger into it and have it break apart.

I think you're closer than you think.

Your soil is too dense so adding anything to help break up the clay balls will help. Any organic matter will hold water as it softens and starts to break down, but moisture in the soil is a good thing. Wet soil, on the other hand, is another matter.

I add sand to my mix. It brings silica which helps to strengthen the plant stems, as well as other minerals like rock dusts do, but also adds to the drainage so I get a twofer. Loams can grow great plants. Loam is "a fertile soil of clay and sand containing humus."

So, I'm not saying your clay is a problem. I'm saying the amount of clay to other stuff is upside down. If you can add lots of organic material to your mix and mix it in well, those particles will get in between the flat clay particles and make them less sticky, helping the tilth all around. And the clay really does bring good stuff to the mix.

But you shouldn't have anything like big clumps that stick together. You should be able to hold a clump in your hand and easily push a finger into it and have it break apart.

I think you're closer than you think.

Azimuth, it is really great to know more about soil types. Thank you. That is very helpful.

I also think the new soil is close. I think with new soil and following Em's watering techniques, it should be a lot better.

This is the original Colombian "black soil" clay. You have to work it reeeeaaaally hard to bust up the clumps. And it does not want to release when wet. (This is a crush-then-release.)

1.jpg

This is the new soil that you helped me make on the other thread just last week, crush-then-release.

2.jpg

And this is the bagged soil that just came from Bendita Sea Grow Shop yesterday, crush-then-release.

3.jpg

I think you are right.
Thanks a million for your help.

Now you're talkin'. Those chunks that you have to crush manually are the clay, obviously and without the other organic materials mixed in they will reharden as they dry out. But with the other stuff, they will stay apart and their benefits will be available tot he plants without the negatives.

The other mixes look great. With them and proper watering you will have much happier plants. :goodjob:

Hello el gringuito, so glad to see you made it here! Welcome!
I see the same since you showed us the rootball. No doubt when you mix up the soil with better "tilth"and food your plants will be happy! So do save the buds without the brown. The brown ones looks moldy to me.
How about putting those into a hot oil extraction/decarb? Does that get around the mold issue, or still same advice??

How about putting those into a hot oil extraction/decarb? Does that get around the mold issue, or still same advice??

the mold spores are smaller than the trichomes. just destroy the stuff.

Hi all. Could I please ask one more question? When they say to "wash the fabric pots", is it good enough to wash them in a bucket and then air dry in the sun? Or do I need to put it in the washing machine?
Thank you.

Nice. Thank you, Phyto.

Back
Top Bottom