Not 12/21/12 The Last Hoorah 2046

just peachy keen Mc!
got the yard mowed yesterday(big accomplishment) Now I'm off to the butcher shop.
might grab some Elk or some buffalo steaks anyway:yummy:

They don't take kindly to that... you gotta buy them first :cheesygrinsmiley:

just peachy keen Mc!
got the yard mowed yesterday(big accomplishment) Now I'm off to the butcher shop.

So, I have this venison steak in the freezer. Got it from my neighbor. I'm used to cooking ground venison in a red sauce, which I like better than ground beef. My question is, what's the best way to cook a venison steak? Do I cook it just like beef, fast and hot on the grill? Or slower and lower heat?

So, I have this venison steak in the freezer. Got it from my neighbor. I'm used to cooking ground venison in a red sauce, which I like better than ground beef. My question is, what's the best way to cook a venison steak? Do I cook it just like beef, fast and hot on the grill? Or slower and lower heat?
most of the time I would say cook hot and fast on the grill or black iron skillet with peppers and onions. not very much fat on deer but it depends on how close to the hoof the cut came from(closer to the hoof tougher the meat is)
OOO you can wrap in bacon and cook it a bit slower like a roast. time the bacon's done the meat will be too. I like my red meat RED:)

most of the time I would say cook hot and fast on the grill or black iron skillet with peppers and onions. not very much fat on deer but it depends on how close to the hoof the cut came from(closer to the hoof tougher the meat is)
OOO you can wrap in bacon and cook it a bit slower like a roast. time the bacon's done the meat will be too. I like my red meat RED:)

Thanks Fish. This cut came straight from a butcher vacuum sealed. Not fat in sight. The skillet with pepper and onions method sound good to me. I'm with you on RED meat.

make sure it is room temp when you throw it in the pan:)
Thanks Fish. This cut came straight from a butcher vacuum sealed. Not fat in sight. The skillet with pepper and onions method sound good to me. I'm with you on RED meat.

just peachy keen Mc!

I have had some buffalo but they didn't cook it right, they say you have to cook wild game and such WELL DONE.....whatever, I want blood lol, or " juice " LOL, runnin outta any wild game and such I eat. IMHO, the quickest way to ruin wild game or red meat is to cook it well done. I even eat my waterfowl medium.......it takes on a whole new meaning and dosen't taste like liver anymore. I make duck jerky that people beg for.....marinated in some hot ass brine....I call it " firequacker". I used to bait the game wardens at the hunting refuges with it, they made sure I got in quick so I never ran outta ducks to make it! The only way I'll eat bear meat is medium rare..........my goodness, and people say they won't eat it cuz it tastes bad....the old women would fistfight over the grease, it makes the finest pie crust known to man!

now you want to talk about a quick cook Duck and goose breast. Holy Buckets!!!! you slap them tenderonies on the fire and...well....aint nothin but Nirvana for the taste buds! WOW Might As Well be Fish Cakes!! YUM YUM.:)

now you want to talk about a quick cook Duck and goose breast. Holy Buckets!!!! you slap them tenderonies on the fire and...well....aint nothin but Nirvana for the taste buds! WOW Might As Well be Fish Cakes!! YUM YUM.:)

"Umm, duck!"

howdy Dasher!
man you are sure right about those lovely tasty morsels of duck love
not much of anything better1
good weedend to you:high-five:
Duck season just started here and have bagged plenty already, shallow feeding and taste absolutely sublime straight off the barbie with those delicious red juices flowing. Overcooking definitely brings out the gamey taste.

Yeah Brother , love all that wild game .......Bro-in-law had a bunch of small pieces of Duck and goose it was a little tough so we ground it and made sausage .....so damn good, when eating it I had to wear panty shields

I eat what I take, and the only geese I'll shoot are the white fronts, more commonly known as specks or specklebellies. Their meat is similar to steak....very lean steak. I don't take the canadas or the snows cuz they eat grass. As far as ducks go, the tiny teal is best IMHO, followed by a canvasback, or a widgeon that steals the water lettuce from the canvasback as he comes up from divin for it. The canvasback is the only diver I really appreciate and the others often taste "muddy". The pintail, or "sprig" is fair to good. Mallard is a ditch duck, feeding often on crayfish, frogs, and small crustacians....not the best....however.....I like to take them on the migration....not the local ones....I can tell the difference by how they come in to the area.......the migraters will come in real high and funnel down, I've seen them come in sooo tired they pile up on the ground when landing...LOL....I love waterfowl hunting, it is a gentlemans sport, quite often participated in by non gentlemen. I have trained countless numbers of men and kids to call, set up rigs ( decoy arrays ), just how to immerse themselves in the sport and know it for what it is....it is a lovely thing!

I do Like it very much! hope you have a wonderful weedend Clay!
Top of the Buds (glad you liked it brother) to you McFish .....I think that covers Mcloadie and Fish cake :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom