QuadZilla's First Soil Grow, Sour Apple! SCROG

man, i love this site... just cruising this thread and get to borrow another great idea...

Pantyhose... so simple, yet I woulda never thought of it myself. I had plans to use insect screen (the kind you find on house windows) to cover my intakes/exhaust when I build my grow room. I'm thinking insect screen would do OK, but pantyhose will be much easier to install and will keep out even smaller pests than standard insect screen.

(Now that I think about it, I'm sure I've read to use pantyhose before... damn brain just doesn't work like it used to! Thanks for reminding me.)

+rep

Hey everyone, I've been away at school for the last few days, and forgot my laptop charger and phone charger, and only just got on. Thanks for the ideas for the gnats, If I use soil next run, pantyhose is a must. The bottom holes have definitely been a problem spot as far as breaking the cycle, they just hide out for a day, then pop out making babies again. The No Pest strips scared me when I read the label in the store. I'm sure they work, but they state that you shouldn't use them in spaces that will be lived in, and had some other warnings that made me think twice about them sitting in a room with my medicine. I'll try perlite when I get the chance, but I heard the sand could potentially effect how well the soil breathes, and I just spent my only available $ on a bag of KoolBloom. :tokin: I'll hopefully be posting some pics in an hour or so. I have not seen my girls in 3 days, so I'm about to go say hello. :grinjoint:

Spider Mites...
I really hate them...

So, while sitting back and basking in the glory of our first grow, I noticed a few odd leaves with little white spots. I'd noticed one or two before, but didn't think much on it, as it didn't seem to spread and was on just 1 or 2 leaves. Plus, we were looking at our soil more than our leaves as far as pests. But after pulling up the Problems,Pests, and Disease control pictorial, I took a good look under the leaves, then around them, and found a little web and small white dots. We think they've been around much of the grow, but our fight with Gnats has inadvertantly kept them at bay. So, as soon as I got off work later that day, I went down, bought some Safer, a No-Pest strip, and went and got a shot of Azamax from the local hydro shop for a few bucks, enough to make a gallon. We sprayed them down liberally yesterday with the Azamax, let them rest for today, and are gonna hit them with the Safer tomorrow, then the Azamax every 3 days for as long as its safe while in bloom, our biggest worry being bud rot, especially with how packed the screen is. Well, wish me luck, hopefully this first grow doesn't go down in a blaze of glory(or at least not unless its in my bowl).

Good luck with the spider mites; I'm fighting them right now too. Sprayed with Safer a week ago and again yesterday. Doesn't seem to be getting any worse, at least. (Not sure how quick the leaf damage heals up, or if the chlorophyll-drained spots just stay there forever...)

I am new to growing but due to height issues I am also using the SCROG method. I am 4 weeks into veg and just lowered SCROG into place (I built a retractable unit in grow room, that fold up against the wall). Good luck with the flowering and will be watch and admiring your success.

Sorry for the gaps in posting, school is getting into full swing, and work is hectic. So, the plants are coming along, slowly but surely. We don't know if their just a longer flowering strain, or just taking their time in the heat of the room. We have issues keeping the room under 85, and peeks of 90 are not uncommon. Or if anyone has any info on how long Diesel takes to flower, please let me know.
In other news, we came up on a deal too good to pass up. A 1000w light, ballast, and hood, used for 75$. Unfortunately, it was too good to be true, and the guy had the wrong ballast. But I still got a nice Sun Systems hood and 1000w Ecolux HPS bulb for 35$ Now my question is this, is it safe to run the 1000w bulb on a 400w ballast? Now I'm not asking if its efficient, but is it safe? Because pending how well this new hood vents, we may up the ante and run the ballast on its 600w or Super Lumens setting. We ducted the hood into the existing exhaust hole by buying a 6" "Y" connector, and buying a second booster fan. Depending on what the thermometer reads, and what you guys say, we'll try the 600w setting, then the Super Lumens switch. Thnx. :thanks: :ganjamon: :thanks:

BTW, some of the plants in the hydro table are starting to come off, because of the mixed strains and different ages, we have the res running clean water and are pulling the plants through out the next week as we see fit. Since this is just for us to smoke, we are not gonna bother weighing it, since it was just a fun little experiment to take up space.

I have seen some listed as Sativa, but I don't know about the Sour Diesel in particular. Also, the other half of this cross is unknown to me, or anyone I've met. No one has seen or heard or Green Apple. But the plant does seem to be Indica dominant. So hopefully no longer than 10, max.

Also, if anyone knows of a good Diesel Journal, I would appreciate a link. Not many people seem to be growing it, even though its fairly common, around here anyways.

I have seen some listed as Sativa, but I don't know about the Sour Diesel in particular. Also, the other half of this cross is unknown to me, or anyone I've met. No one has seen or heard or Green Apple. But the plant does seem to be Indica dominant. So hopefully no longer than 10, max.

Diesel is supposed to be a pure sativa, as is Sour Diesel. However, most of the clones from the dispensaries seem to have some indica in them regardless of the name. It may be done to make them more suitable to indoor growing.

So, as in all things, the most important factor in any project is location, location, location. Our location just kicked our grow out, after we failed to pay the electric bill. we had the money, but at a party the night before at my house, someone stole ~$180. With how tight money is right now, we couldn't repay it the next day, so everything was moved out. We had to cut the mixed strain ebb&flow table 3 days early, the soil are hiding out in a backyard until they can be moved to a new home, and it looks like the Sour Apple hydro table might have to be flowered out under the T5. I can't seem to put into words just how... disappointed? I am. Only 3 days away for the table to be finished, 3 weeks for the soil, and we had planned to move the hydro if the opportunity came up. But the soil girls are now camping outside, with all the bugs and weather that entails, the hydro probably can't go under a HPS for flowering, and we had to cut early. I dunno, between the two of us, we've dropped well over $1500 on start up equipment, plants, nutes, and various odds n' ends. If we can't find a reliable place for our Scrog and LST plants, we may have to abort. And even if we can find a place, it doesn't look like my new room is gonna work out, and with no foreseeable changes ahead, this may be my last grow, or at least an indefinate hiatus.

So, as in all things, the most important factor in any project is location, location, location. Our location just kicked our grow out, after we failed to pay the electric bill. we had the money, but at a party the night before at my house, someone stole ~$180. With how tight money is right now, we couldn't repay it the next day, so everything was moved out. We had to cut the mixed strain ebb&flow table 3 days early, the soil are hiding out in a backyard until they can be moved to a new home, and it looks like the Sour Apple hydro table might have to be flowered out under the T5. I can't seem to put into words just how... disappointed? I am. Only 3 days away for the table to be finished, 3 weeks for the soil, and we had planned to move the hydro if the opportunity came up. But the soil girls are now camping outside, with all the bugs and weather that entails, the hydro probably can't go under a HPS for flowering, and we had to cut early. I dunno, between the two of us, we've dropped well over $1500 on start up equipment, plants, nutes, and various odds n' ends. If we can't find a reliable place for our Scrog and LST plants, we may have to abort. And even if we can find a place, it doesn't look like my new room is gonna work out, and with no foreseeable changes ahead, this may be my last grow, or at least an indefinate hiatus.

Sorry to hear about that. You might consider a small hydro grow when you move. No SCROG,LST etc. 3 weeks veg, and 9 weeks flower on most indicas should get you at least some of your investment back out of a small closet. I'm doing pretty well with a 600, 2 plants, and 12 1/2 sq. ft.. It sounds like you already have the equipment and the nutes anyway. Whatever you decide, good luck, and thanks for taking the time to do this journal.

Sorry to hear about the grow situation, our scrogswere on the same timeline and I was comparing our two grows. Hope everything works out and your can grow killer buds soon.

So i feel an update is in order.
A recap of current events:
Scrog, In a new location, growing outdoors at an old hippies place, plants are doing ok, they were a little stressed by the change, but only some leaves died, and they seem to finally be filling out, still 2+ weeks to go.
LST, outside as well, did NOT like the move, 2 of them fared the same as the scrog, and are doing well, 1 died within 4 days of its move, another died a week later, and 1 more is fighting for survival, but it doesn't look good.
Sour Apple Hydro, the only thing that is looking up. The plants are huge, with only 1 week of veg, they are all at 15-20" at week 4 of flower, they seem to be slowing down in their stretch, and moving on to so heavier pistil production. Their grow area build is super simple, just a 600w hps light hanging in the corner of a room with some fans running over it, but it stays cool, and they are doing great, so hopefully something better comes of this.

In other news, the creator of the Sour Apple strain is now calling it Sour Apple Diesel, I'm guessing its so people know what it actually is.

So hopefully the last update. Basically, half of the Sour Apple plants that we lst'd have died from shock, 1 from the move, 2 from a damn duck walking on them. The Screen is mixed, most of it is still throwing white hairs, while one plant is kinda dead looking. Were at something like month 4 of bloom, and only the lst'd plants look mature, and none of them look ready. They're all thin, stretchy, and single leafed buds that look nothing like cannabis. At best, we will get a chunk of hash for our efforts, more likely is a large chunk of butter, but a far cry from the qp min in bub we wanted, or the pound we hoped for. The only good thing that came of it all is that the owner of their new home is very generous, and has sent me home with over a half pound of his bud, and his shit is dank!
The other hydro table is now about 4-6wks from finish, and while the buds are much denser, and we can actually see some trichs developing before wk10, they're also doing the wierd, single finger leaf thing. I think its over fert, cause of the dark green, but its not my tray, and he wants high ppm's and only cut back maybe 20mils total after my suggestion. Oh well, not my loss.
And on the point of losses, if your thinking of growing, you should never do so if you can't swallow all your losses.

Thanks for sharing your grow with us, sorry for your loss!

I’m moving this to completed journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please start one here:
Journals in Progress

Hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Back
Top Bottom