Quest for 1G/W: 1K HPS Liquid Cooled on a 6' Mover in a 4x8 Tent

Re: Quest for 1g/w: 1k hps liquid cooled on a 6' mover in a 4x8 tent.

you can see from above that the aero is looking more and more sparse. lmao I am a bad daddy sometimes, staying out late drinking and smoking, not spending any quality time with the wee lassies. what a bastard I can be.

they are looking ok i guess on top, the roots in the air part look nice, but the roots that sit in the nft part are not so good. dark goopy roots suck balls. you'll see what i mean.

Day-14-flower-11.JPG

Day-14-flower-12.JPG

Day-14-flower-13.JPG

Day-14-flower-09.JPG

Day-14-flower-10.JPG

Day-14-flower-14.JPG

anyone have any suggestions what if anything I should do about these roots?

I have the temp problem solved for now.

O M Fu*k'n G !! :rofl: now thats goingot be one hell of a site. :)

hope so brother. :)

Now thats a jungle you have their. thats gonna be sweet brother. nice and healthy looking:bravo:

thanks man. the EnG is doing nicely. wish I could take a peak at some roots to see how they are doing, but they are all mashed in there and supporting each other so I don't dare for fear of snapping stems.

anyone have any suggestions what if anything I should do about these roots?

I have the temp problem solved for now.

Looks like they're stained from the nutes. Which wouldn't be a problem if that's what it is... Is your solution pretty dark?

thanks man. the EnG is doing nicely. wish I could take a peak at some roots to see how they are doing, but they are all mashed in there and supporting each other so I don't dare for fear of snapping stems.

ya i here you. that sucks cant see how the roots are doing. but i agree you might really regret taking a peek and snap some stems. just let it be, unless you have plant problems and you need to check the roots

Looks like something out of the last diaper that I changed.

Get your water to room-temperature and hit them with the sprayer in the kitchen sink, lol. Then shake the excess liquid off them, fill a spray bottle with 3% H2O2, and saturate the roots.

And then... Hey, it looks like there's a definite boundary between the white and the sludge. Is that indicative that the brown-covered root material is what is sitting on the floor of the pipe? Do you have the pipes set to drain your feed immediately back to the reservoir or do you have either a constant NFT or "DWCxNFT" kind of situation where the ends of the roots sit partially-submerged in an oxygenated solution environment? I'm too gone to remember or go back and read at the present;), but I don't think you'd have roots like that if it were the latter.

I also cannot remember if you run organics. If so, it might be a sign that the microbial life is no longer precisely in a symbiotic relationship with the plants but rather a more parasitic one.

I am no hydro guy but I think there is some type of enzyme that you can buy from a hydro shop and it eats that crap away. I can't think of the name...

Its called Hygrozyme, and its works more then great. makes your roots all good even if you have root rot. my friends roots looked like that in a DWC system and use that stuff for 2 weeks and its was good as new.lol

thanks guys. I wish it was just nute sludge buildup on healthy roots, but i'm afraid its probably not.

I'll try washin one off and see what they look like after a rinse. . .

I am currently using AN's SensiZyme. its basically the same thing as hygrozyme, but some people say its better, some say hygrozyme is better. Anyways it was formulated to match my nute line, so thats what I'm using. I use it through all of flower.

@Tor,

Yeah, it was on 24/7 aero with a constant stream of nft, but a few days ago I put them on a timer, 15 min on, 15 min off.

I am not running organics as far as any poop goes, but i did run piranha and tarantula early week one flower. . . i sopped after a few days though. . . i hope it's not bacterial, but i have a suspicion it might be.

by 3% solution you mean straight peroxide out of the bottle (if it says 3% on the bottle)? that seems strong to me. wont do any damage to the roots?

I have to wait for the lights to come on to do anything. but thanks all.

Hi wheelo, do yourself a favor and read the "Tips, Tricks, and Troubleshooting" link in my sig. Pay attention to the 8 step recovery method. I really think you could benefit from it. :goodluck:

by 3% solution you mean straight peroxide out of the bottle (if it says 3% on the bottle)? that seems strong to me. wont do any damage to the roots?

IDK about any. Once back in the day I had a pretty substantial algae buildup at the root zone. Had two plants per reservoir growing (in pots) right through the lids. Roots were tangled so I could not easily remove the plants from the lids. I carried each reservoir lid to the kitchen, removed all the green I could from the bottom of the lid, and then adjusted my water until it felt like it was at a neutral temperature, and hosed the works pretty good. Then I realized that I had sat all four reservoir lids down in non-pristine places, meaning that all the roots were in need of another shower. This they got (one lid at a time this time). I then decided that the roots had had "a pretty hard day" and decided to give them a good soaking low-pressure drench with H2O2 from a spray bottle. While doing so I used my fingers to comb through the roots looking for any contaminates. The H2O2 ended up being 3% so yeah the same strength as consumer-grade peroxide. And I lightly shook off the roots afterwards so any residual amount would have been diluted as soon as the plants went back into their (clean & freshly-changed) reservoirs.

The plants pretty much didn't do anything for about 24 hours, then went back to growing without noticeable affect. After that, if I thought there might have been root issues, I did the same thing. I'm sure it was somewhat stressful overall (so many things are) but I attributed it to the general shock of having the roots out of solution, laying on the counter, etc. much more so than the actual H2O2 application.

YMMV of course. If the roots are thin, spindly, and brittle then I could see possible further damage occurring - mainly from the strong spray of room-temperature water.

Could I suppose damage/kill any symbiotic life in the root zone, but being (generally, more-or-less) a chemical guy, I usually fed them "predigested food" anyway and did not require additional organisms to break down the nutrients.

If in doubt, you could always treat one plant and stick it in a simple DWC for a day or two to see whether the sludge comes back and how the roots feel about it. In the summer heat I'd only run DWC for fear of inadequate O2 levels at the root-zone. At any time the "flow" was cut off I'd immediately start worrying when temperatures were unfriendly. With DWC it was never cut off. When I asked the girls how they felt about millions (exaggeration) of tiny bubbles flowing upwards through their roots and constant mixing/oxygenating from the power head, the plants said, "Mmm... Tickles." I cannot but feel that an aero setup that cycles is less efficient for getting DO to the roots than a good DWC setup because the moment that the "fog" stops, the O2 levels of the solution remnant film that is coating the roots can only drop. Especially since the amounts of O2 that we like to make available are in the super-saturated range (more O2 than the solution would normally be able to hold dissolved at any given temperature).

Or I'd get lazy and go with a soil(sic) type medium because I get pretty lazy when it's hot. But that's like looking at a bunch of time-lapse photos instead of watching the video, lol.

Just rambling;).

BtW, I'd expect to see pH taking nose-dives from the looks of things but realize that you have the pH controller setup. Does that have any kind of monitoring/logging function so you can see if the pH had to be adjusted much more than usual lately?

Hi wheelo, do yourself a favor and read the "Tips, Tricks, and Troubleshooting" link in my sig. Pay attention to the 8 step recovery method. I really think you could benifit from it. :goodluck:

thats a cool little guide. props to rose. i pretty much read everything i can get my hands on, so there was nothing new to me, but he did say 2 teaspoons per gal for a couple days. . . not sure if that would be possible in my system, unless i did the entire reservoir. i have to wait and see what they look like when i rinse them tonight. I wish i could see some EnG roots to see if they suffer the same problem. I know that I've had res temps that are too high for the past week, and just got them solved. This does not look like pythium to me.

BtW, I'd expect to see pH taking nose-dives from the looks of things but realize that you have the pH controller setup. Does that have any kind of monitoring/logging function so you can see if the pH had to be adjusted much more than usual lately?

Yeah, no logging, but from watching, it is doing its normal thing and rising for the beginning of the res change, but then after the week is up will take a dive and i'll have to change it right away. it took a dive a few days ago and i changed it out. its sitting nice right now.

thanks guys. I wish it was just nute sludge buildup on healthy roots, but i'm afraid its probably not.

I'll try washin one off and see what they look like after a rinse. . .

I am currently using AN's SensiZyme. its basically the same thing as hygrozyme, but some people say its better, some say hygrozyme is better. Anyways it was formulated to match my nute line, so thats what I'm using. I use it through all of flower.

just to let you know my good friend that owns a hydro shop and he testes all kinds of nutes and he was telling me that the sales rep at AN says their SensiZyme only last for a week when opened. but they said they dont post that on their web page because it would hurt their sales. I cant say 100% for sure but my buddy wouldn't lie to me.

my buddy had the same problem with his DWC and used the Hygrozyme for 2 weeks and the roots where all good.

just thought i would pass on that info to you

Subscribed bro. Cool that water down and that root problem will go away. No chiller?

thanks man, glad to see you round.

no chiller on that res, it wasn't doing anything anyways. but i have it fixed with the window ac i have going. now res temps are steady at 65*,

FYI all,

I was afraid that the biggest girls might stretch too much, and although it is DAY 17 flower today, and most of the stretch is probably over, i gave the tallest a little foliar with some bush master. . . @ 1ml/gal, this little bottle will last me whatever the shelf life is. the bottle says most like to use it after 2 weeks flower, so i think the timing is good.

man they are budding more and more. i'll get some more pics soon.

hi, Wheel. You're the second person in two days I've heard talk about Bushmaster (the other being Lavendar). I respect both you and her opinion, and I was wondering if you've used the Bushmaster in the past and what exactly it does for you?

TIA

:peace::nicethread:

sorry poppa, this is my first time using it so i can't speak from experience yet.

i can tell you what it's supposed to do:

"Bushmaster slows down and halts the vertical growth, creating more compact plants. At the same time the vertical growth ceases, the plant starts to become very bushy, producing lateral branching and eventually producing much more surface area for flowers to form, thus greatly increasing the yield."

i am hoping it will stop the stretch a few days early and put on a bit of girth instead. the only reason is that my light is just about as high as it can go and i only have a few more inches of good buffer between my tops and my light.

we can watch what it does together bro, and i'll see if i can notice anything, but i used it pretty late in the stretch period, so it may be stopping stretching naturally at this point anyways. . . so, dunno, we'll see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom