Rabbit's Big Leap - High Brix With Doc's Kit

Still Life with Cannabis

I included the fruit bowl which automatically makes this photo fine art.
20170421_183952.jpg

My first 5+ oz. harvest! :slide:
You can also see 34 grams of oil in air tight containers waiting to be made into capsules, at least a 5 month supply at my maintenance dosage. By the time I finish processing everything I'll have a year's worth. Still not used to having this much breathing room. A few months ago I was still worrying about having enough for the next month.
:Namaste:

Ahhh ... cannabis security! :yahoo:

One of the best things about growin' yer own! Got another year to have fun with the hobby now. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Still Life with Cannabis

I included the fruit bowl which automatically makes this photo fine art.
20170421_183952.jpg

My first 5+ oz. harvest! :slide:
You can also see 34 grams of oil in air tight containers waiting to be made into capsules, at least a 5 month supply at my maintenance dosage. By the time I finish processing everything I'll have a year's worth. Still not used to having this much breathing room. A few months ago I was still worrying about having enough for the next month.

There ya go buckaroo. :high-five: Not that long ago you were concerned about having another month. What a success story for this healing herb and your tenacious drive to stay with your loved ones as a vital member of their world.

God, I'm so proud of you I could yell. :woohoo: Breathing space. Ahhhhh...... Ain't it grand KR? :hug: :love:

Black Cherry Soda Weigh-in

Another 5 ouncer. Technically BCS was the first 5 oz. plant since I harvested her before MdM. I know the plants don't care, but I feel bad for her anyway for not getting her time in the limelight as a record setter.
Much smaller buds but a lot more of them. And smellier, and maybe a little stickier. Very much a step up from previous runs. :Namaste:
20170422_201318.jpg

A short explanation of Brix

For those of you that haven't become obsessed with Doc Bud's journals like I have, strictly speaking Brix is just a measure of the density of carbohydrates and other nutrients in plant juices. It's a scale.

It's used to predict quality of produce while 'fruit is still on the vine' by measuring the juices in plant itself. The higher the brix level in plant juice the better the fruit will be, or in our case flowers. Plants with high levels of carbs and nutes in their juices produce more resinous and more potent buds.

So really many different growing methods can be used to grow 'high brix' crops. But I will be using Doc's kit, which he has developed specifically for cannabis. When I say High Brix I really mean Doc's system of living organic soil with specialized drenches and foliar sprays that create high brix levels. I'm following Doc's directions and taking it on faith that brix levels will follow.

Fucking yes amen what I've been saying "water potential and the law of solutes in the plant structure" BTW thank you very kindly for laying this out in an easy to read way because who knows how long I would have gone on just thinking Brix was just another brand

You can have all the nutrients in the world but you don't have anything alive without water and not just a little a lot of water

Fucking yes amen what I've been saying "water potential and the law of solutes in the plant structure" BTW thank you very kindly for laying this out in an easy to read way because who knows how long I would have gone on just thinking Brix was just another brand

Welcome! And thanks for adding another dimension and a couple valuable search terms to my brix understanding. I've been focusing on nutrient balance and not on the transport mechanism which is just as important. I've been taking transport for granted. One of the great things about the kit is that I don't have to understand all the pieces to get great results, but the more I learn the more fun it gets.

Hitting for the Cycle

In the past 24 hours I've harvested a plant, bagged up a dried harvest, extracted and winterized a batch, processed another extraction into oil and mixed another batch of oil into biobombs, not necessarily in that order.

I tried spraying the PM on Dance World directly with 1/2 strength hydrogen peroxide. It seemed to work on the spots I sprayed with no apparent damage to leaves. I decided to harvest this morning anyway because I found many more spots as I was defoliating, she's pretty close to maturity and I have a lot more to lose than gain if it continues to spread.
Her main colas have firmed up and stopped producing new pistils. In general her buds are still looser than others, but bigger and longer also. She has a medium odor without any particular scent, just smells like weed.
20170422_205057.jpg
20170422_205107.jpg

Last night I cut the two lowest branches that were growing straight up through canopy. They are kind of in middle of bud quality. Buds on strongest top branches are densest, fullest. Even though lower branches reached same canopy level they produces looser colas and lots of floppy side buds. I'm not whining this time, just observing. I've tried maximizing branching to increase yield and I think it just spread the same bud mass over more buds.
20170422_205924.jpg

For the first time since I set it up last June my bloom tent is empty. Time to clean up and do some more remodeling while I'm waiting for the last three harvests to finishing drying. My unexpected bloomers are doing fine in veg tent so no need to rush things. I can do it right with actual framing, a real door, run a new electrical line and maybe go completely crazy and invest in an actual environmental control system with filters.

Hitting for the Cycle

In the past 24 hours I've harvested a plant, bagged up a dried harvest, extracted and winterized a batch, processed another extraction into oil and mixed another batch of oil into biobombs, not necessarily in that order.

I imagine it's a good kind of tired - one where you can look back at the effect you had; improving the world and your personal health. You contributed on the side of life and light in this day :)

I tried spraying the PM on Dance World directly with 1/2 strength hydrogen peroxide. It seemed to work on the spots I sprayed with no apparent damage to leaves. I decided to harvest this morning anyway because I found many more spots as I was defoliating, she's pretty close to maturity and I have a lot more to lose than gain if it continues to spread.
Her main colas have firmed up and stopped producing new pistils. In general her buds are still looser than others, but bigger and longer also. She has a medium odor without any particular scent, just smells like weed.
20170422_205057.jpg

I was curious to see how Dance World came out. At one point it was at the top of my list for balanced THC / CBD strains. (The way the world manifested, I am just growing my first CBD Critical Cure for that balanced strain.) Is Dance World generally a good strain to grow, or is her bud formation and airy quality an annoyingly normal thing? (in your experience)

For the first time since I set it up last June my bloom tent is empty. Time to clean up and do some more remodeling while I'm waiting for the last three harvests to finishing drying. My unexpected bloomers are doing fine in veg tent so no need to rush things. I can do it right with actual framing, a real door, run a new electrical line and maybe go completely crazy and invest in an actual environmental control system with filters.

What a great opportunity! When growing in a perpetual, the opportunities to clean and remodel are rare :)

An 'actual environmental control system' sounds both expensive and super cool :) Then again, when considering the costs of everything else (dehumidifier!), a small number of hundred dollar billls might seem like a wise thing to do in one of those rare opportunities to make major chages in a perpetual grow.

Would this change be something you could do when the room was full?

No need to respond to my specific questions, you can see the meandering path of my thoughts. If the spirits smile on us, those meandering thoughts helped you enjoy this delicious moment of decision.

I imagine it's a good kind of tired - one where you can look back at the effect you had; improving the world and your personal health. You contributed on the side of life and light in this day :)

I was curious to see how Dance World came out. At one point it was at the top of my list for balanced THC / CBD strains. (The way the world manifested, I am just growing my first CBD Critical Cure for that balanced strain.) Is Dance World generally a good strain to grow, or is her bud formation and airy quality an annoyingly normal thing? (in your experience)

What a great opportunity! When growing in a perpetual, the opportunities to clean and remodel are rare :)

An 'actual environmental control system' sounds both expensive and super cool :) Then again, when considering the costs of everything else (dehumidifier!), a small number of hundred dollar billls might seem like a wise thing to do in one of those rare opportunities to make major chages in a perpetual grow.

Would this change be something you could do when the room was full?

No need to respond to my specific questions, you can see the meandering path of my thoughts. If the spirits smile on us, those meandering thoughts helped you enjoy this delicious moment of decision.

My main goal was to get the Medical Mass into oil so I can finally have a 1:1 to use. Plus I need to make room for the stuff I just harvested. That corner of the kitchen is cluttered enough. Pure self interest.

I was really pleased with the way Dance World grew. The main colas were firming up, it was just the lower ones that were airy. I think she would have benefited from one more week to mature. This is first time with DW. I have the 2 other seedlings from the sidelines pruned and in process now. They will be smaller with fewer colas. Initial impression is this strain is a keeper, lives up to promises.

As for environmental control I mainly mean ducting and filters to seal off tent, plus a frame to keep tent from getting sucked in like a vacuum-sealed bag. A central control station would be nice. Controlling temp and humidity with timers using appliances from Target is clearly not the best way to go but got me through this grow. (but remember the brown widows that didn't make it through last grow. :rofl:) Other than the scrub it's all stuff I could do with plants in there, just more difficult.

Seven Sisters update

These are the plants that started blooming in the veg tent. Some have been growing in 4 gal pots for a month, some just got potted up last week.

Hash Bomb. 3 ft. tall from soil. I was planning to prune her back and train her with even colas. She's already started bloom and I have clones to keep strain going so we'll just see what we get. I did remove lower growth and will do some more to keep just the top colas.
20170423_194935.jpg

Black Cherry Soda. also 3 ft. tall and in need of support already. Plan was to make clean clones from these and juice the rest. One is in 4 gal, other in 2 gal. Fortunately the 3rd clone I had didn't start bloom or at least hasn't shown yet, so strain continues.
20170423_195211.jpg

20170423_195745.jpg

Dance World. 2 seedlings that sat out last grow get their chance. I had already pruned back heavily. They were in 1 gal pots potted up to 4 gal with my new rabbit manure mix. Original plan when I potted up was to train with 8 tops. 2 will do for this grow. No clones but I still have 3 seeds.
20170423_195922.jpg
20170423_200018.jpg

White Widow. Last week they were in 2 gal soft pots, potted up to 4 gal with Bunny Mix soil (patent pending). Don't know what to expect from these. They are 2nd generation clones and look tired to me (weak stems, slow growth). So is Hash Bomb and BCS are way past that, don't know why these two are suffering. Maybe it's because I let pots dry out too much, but I've been much better lately. Plan was to make multiple clones for SOG grow. I'll probably try that with Hash Bomb clones when I have space.
20170423_200341.jpg

20170423_200218.jpg

I have 1 BCS, several HB and one Med Mass clones under 24 hour light now to stave off any more flowering. Lesson learned: 14 hours is short enough for blooming eventually. Still don't know why it happened now and not months ago.

[

Dance World. 2 seedlings that sat out last grow get their chance. I had already pruned back heavily. They were in 1 gal pots potted up to 4 gal with my new rabbit manure mix. Original plan when I potted up was to train with 8 tops. 2 will do for this grow. No clones but I still have 3 seeds.
20170423_195922.jpg

It looks like you were testing out Dance World's ability to be used as a sling shot :rofl:

Yeah 14/10 seems a bit too much dark time to discourage flowering. I thought I was running 16/8 or maybe 18/6 but when I checked this morning I am running 20/4 in veg. I guess I chose that to lower my heating time during lights out. I dunno whether to increase the dark time or choose 'If it ain't broke don't fix it.'

Vape Report - Medical Mass

Buds were rapid dried in my food dehydrator without heat, then aged all of 2 days in the bag. Dehydrator doesn't seem to have impaired odor much. Smell is already more complex than at harvest or drying. Woody is still the main smell, but the mustiness has a little more sweetness than before. Other smells hard to pick out but they combine nicely. Maybe similar to good tobacco without the spiciness that I used to like when I smoked cigars. Overall it's reminding me more of Critical than WW, which is appropriate since Critical is one of the grandparents.

I vaped 1/3 gram in 2 rounds with my Vape Flora pen. Smooth flavor, no coughing. First vape before dinner made me relaxed, eased some back pain, and had a slight body buzz, no head high at all. 2nd after dinner increased the body buzz, made me more relaxed and reduced back pain a lot. (I don't have the kind of pain that requires meds, but with all the stress of last month my back is really twisted to point that I probably should take something and see my chiropractor.) Then the head high started. The CBD doesn't completely eliminate THC high, it moderates it and changes it to make it gentler and clearer headed. I can feel this a little bit with Hash Bomb (3:1 ratio) but much more with this 1:1 strain. I can't tell how much of either it has but clearly enough of both with all that was going on. I was clear headed until bedtime, then started to get gently high. After 4 hours it was mostly gone. This is definitely an indica dom strain. It didn't make me overly sleepy, but good for bedtime.

Have to get this tested to see what the actual ratio is. The effects are what I wanted, but still like to know actual numbers.

And a surprise. After making most of harvest into oil I found a seed on counter where I was breaking up buds. If there were any other seeds they went through the alcohol washes and are now buried in my recycling soil. Maybe I will get another surprise in the next grow. :)
20170424_182756.jpg

Vape Report - Medical Mass

Buds were rapid dried in my food dehydrator without heat, then aged all of 2 days in the bag. Dehydrator doesn't seem to have impaired odor much. Smell is already more complex than at harvest or drying. Woody is still the main smell, but the mustiness has a little more sweetness than before. Other smells hard to pick out but they combine nicely. Maybe similar to good tobacco without the spiciness that I used to like when I smoked cigars. Overall it's reminding me more of Critical than WW, which is appropriate since Critical is one of the grandparents.

I vaped 1/3 gram in 2 rounds with my Vape Flora pen. Smooth flavor, no coughing. First vape before dinner made me relaxed, eased some back pain, and had a slight body buzz, no head high at all. 2nd after dinner increased the body buzz, made me more relaxed and reduced back pain a lot. (I don't have the kind of pain that requires meds, but with all the stress of last month my back is really twisted to point that I probably should take something and see my chiropractor.) Then the head high started. The CBD doesn't completely eliminate THC high, it moderates it and changes it to make it gentler and clearer headed. I can feel this a little bit with Hash Bomb (3:1 ratio) but much more with this 1:1 strain. I can't tell how much of either it has but clearly enough of both with all that was going on. I was clear headed until bedtime, then started to get gently high. After 4 hours it was mostly gone. This is definitely an indica dom strain. It didn't make me overly sleepy, but good for bedtime.

Have to get this tested to see what the actual ratio is. The effects are what I wanted, but still like to know actual numbers.

And a surprise. After making most of harvest into oil I found a seed on counter where I was breaking up buds. If there were any other seeds they went through the alcohol washes and are now buried in my recycling soil. Maybe I will get another surprise in the next grow. :)
20170424_182756.jpg

Sounds like a nice all rounder on effects there Rabbit ..
Thanks for the nice detailed report ., I'll be sure to do the same once I get to that point in my grow.
It's always good to have a nice surprise, are you dropping that seed straight away?

Have you seen a seed that looked like that before?

I've seen some with similar tracery in brown, but that black and gray is a new one to me.
It looks like it might have come out of the lab of Lucius Fox or Commander Spock.

Should have mentioned the colors were off due to flash. It is brown color. All my photos without flash were blurry.

Wish I'd found it before I recycled the spent buds so I could check for more.
This may explain why her buds appeared to stop growing and some other things I'll post about later.

Back
Top Bottom