Roodnewb's First Grow - Bubble Buckets - Bag Seed - Started In June

roodnewb

Hello,
In an effort to reduce our monthly costs incurred with regular purchases to assist with my wife's chronic pain, we decided to give growing a try.

After reading several tutorials and making a trip to our local hydroponics store (very informative), we settled on a method the guy at the store suggested.

In a nutshell, we have 4 3.5 gallon buckets. I started the seeds in peat pellets, then transferred them into the buckets. As you will see in the photos, I used a stone medium instead of clay. We are now using tap water, properly pH'd, with an air pump set to highest output that runs a medium sized air stone in the bottom of each bucket. We started the babies under CFL's while we waited for a MH/HPS light to ship in. The light we have set up now is 600W, not air cooled, digital ballast with controls to knock down output to 50% and 75%. To control temp, we have an AC in the room and a small fan blowing directly on the babies. I am using Advanced Nutrients, Sensi Grow parts A and B. We have no idea of the strain we have, only that they have come from a very cheap ounce purchased a few weeks back that turned out to have a high number of seeds in it (half an ounce yielded almost 60 seeds).

Of the 9 seeds i started, 7 sprouted. I decided to work with that number and hope that I can get enough of them to the flowering stage that the ratios will work in my favor and we will have at least 3 girls to take to budding. A couple of hiccups and mistakes have left us with 5 currently.

I apologize about the pics, I'm not sure why they are loads sideways. The appear correctly in my viewer and were uploaded from files that had them save with the correct orientation. I'm working on it and hope to correct it in future posts.

20150619_153015.jpg

Here is a quick pic I snapped of some of the babies after they sprouted. I stuck them under a CFL for a couple days while we worked on our set up.

A couple weeks prior, I dropped a seed in some soil for shits and giggles. When it actually sprouted and started to take off on me, I put it in a set up i was trying for some indoor tomatoes we were trying. We have affectionately been referring to it as the "Dirt Baby."
20150619_153019.jpg

I realize now that it did not have adequate light in the first couple weeks, so it got very tall and didn't develop much. I kept it to grow along side the other babies to get a rough idea of reference.

On 6/19/15, we had our buckets and did our initial set up. Here are the specifics:
A/c set at 75.
Light set for 18 hrs.
Each plant was set under a 100W CFL.
Nutrients were added at 1/2 the recommended dose for their age and development.
No adjustment was made to the pH, all tested at about 5.5-6.

Baby 1: Plant had some roots showing through the peat pellet, it had its 2nd set of leaves and measured approx: 2 1/4" tall by 1 1/2" wide. It was a light to medium green.

20150625_063734.jpg

Baby 2: Plant had no roots showing, only its first set of leaves, and was smallest at 1/2" tall by 3/4" wide. It was a medium to dark green.
20150625_063742.jpg

Baby 3: Plant had not roots showing, only its first set of leaves and measured: 2 1/4" by 1" wide. It was a light to medium green.
20150625_063747.jpg

At this point, we had a tomato in the last bucket to test out our tap water to see how hard it would be on the plants. Here is a pic of Dirt Baby and the tomato.
20150625_063823.jpg

Here are a couple other babies that started and were not used right away:
20150625_063802.jpg

Week 2 (6/24/15)
we had encountered our first issue/hiccup. The water was set at a level just below the net pot as the guy at the hydro store had described to us. The problem was that, while it did dampen the stone in the bottom of the pot, it did not soak it enough to get to the peat pots. Some of the babies did well despite this, but one baby appeared as though it would be offered as a sacrifice to the growing gods. It was swapped out with one of the extras and set in a bowl with water to see if it would come back.

We corrected the water problem by raising the water level to about an inch above the bottom of the net pots. After some further reading, I decided to up the light to 24 hrs some time during the previous week.

We did not snap pics the day we did the water change, but rather I snapped them the next day after we set up the new grow light. The rest of the pics are under a 600W MH light. I have continued to run the light 24 hrs.

The tomato appeared to be doing well, but we decided to keep it an extra week. All water was straight tap beginning this week.

Nutrients were again left at 1/2 the recommended dose for the babies age and size, except for the tomato which was dosed at the recommended level.

Baby 1: pH adjusted up to about 6.5, No roots showing through the net pot, 2nd set of leaves fully showing, measures 2"wide by 2" tall. Dark green in color.

Baby 2: pH adjusted down to about 6.5, No roots showing through the net pot, 2nd set of leaves started, was too dry, plant very brittle, measures 1" wide by 1" tall. Light to medium green. Was pulled out and replaced with a healthy extra with approximately the same measurements.

Baby 3: pH adjusted down to about 6.5, No roots showing through the net pot, 2nd set of leaves fully showing, 3" wide by 3" tall. Healthy dark green. We started calling this one "Monster Baby."

Dirt Baby: Lightly watered but otherwise left alone. Approximately doubled in width and added another set of leaves, still a couple weeks ahead.

I didn't take individual pix of the babies that week. The best I have is a group pic with Baby 1, Dirt Baby and Baby 2 (aka Monster Baby).
20150627_083009.jpg

Week 3 (7/1/15)

We had an outside temp spike and the temp in the room climbed significantly. A couple of the plants began to show signs of heat stress. We have since lowered the A/C more and changed how the fan was blowing on the plants. The buckets themselves still felt cool to the touch though.

Nutrients were up'd to about 75% the recommended dose for the size and age.

Baby 1: adjust pH down to about 6-6.5, Several roots showing through the rocks and beginning to dangle, measures 4" tall by 4" wide, 3 full sets of leaves with a fourth starting, several growth nodes evident. Healthy dark green.

Baby 2: adjusted pH down to about 6, No roots showing, 3 sets of leaves showing fully with a fourth started, measures 2 1/2" tall by 3 1/4" wide. Remains a light to medium color

Baby 3: Monster baby pH adjust down to about 6-6.5, A lot of root showing in the bucket, 3 full sets of leaves and 4th well started, measures 4" tall by 5" wide, Healthy deep green, several growth nodes, 2 sprouting new leaves

Baby 4: Tomato was pulled out and transplanted to the garden, the remaining healthy baby was transplanted in along with the struggling baby that dried out too much during the first week. pH was adjusted down to about 6, some roots showing through the peat and the stones it had been sitting in while waiting transplant, 3 full sets of leaves and a fourth started, measures 2 3/4" tall by 3" wide, healthy deep green color.

Dirt Baby: Water in the bottom of bottle was changed, several long roots pushed down from the dirt into the water resevoir, water was pH'd down to about 6.5 and a very small dose of nutrients added. Stake was removed and plant measures 6" tall by 5" wide, has 4 sets of leaves and a 5th started, only very small growth nodes.

Again, pix are lacking for this week, but i have a group shot:

20150703_203022.jpg

Notice some of the leaves curled and showed signs of heat stress. I lifted the light somewhat in addition to the changes to the A/C and fan location.

We are nearly into week 4. A few days ago, Baby 1 was doing very poorly and showing some strange signs of deficiency on it's leaves. After doing some research, I concluded it may be root rot. Sure enough, after pulling up the lid and taking a good look, there was a large section of root that was a distinct brown color, very slimey to the touch and smelled swampy. I wasn't in a position to treat it immediately, but read that adding additional oxygen would help somewhat. I removed water from the bucket until it was about inch below the net pot and just below the problem section. About a day and half after that, the plant was taking off in growth again and when I checked the roots, it appeared as if nothing had happened..... major problem averted by minor adjustment? I'll take my miracles.
20150705_105431.jpg

Not a great pix, sorry, but the leaves had brown spots through the center of the leaf, between the veins and near the ends in addition to showing the heat stress.
20150706_110748.jpg

This is a few days later. I removed the most damaged leaves because they were very brittle. New growth is coming on strong and healthy. It is putting some serious growth and may catch up to the Monster in the next few days.

:rip:Sadly, my mistake baby from the first week was sacrificed to the growing gods. I think one death in the family while trying out a whole new growing style is pretty damn good so far.

Also during this last week, I topped both Monster Baby and Dirt Baby. Both were gaining much faster in height than the rest and had some aggressive growth nodes pushing right out. So to slow them down and open up more colas for later on (assuming they are females), I topped them just above the third growth node. This has definitely slowed down Dirt Baby, but I think Monster Baby saw it as an opportunity.
20150705_105423.jpg
https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/20150706_110742.jpg[/img
[img]https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/20150703_203022.jpg
20150705_105428.jpg

We are planning to top the remaining babies as they get a bit bigger. I really like the way Monster Baby is growing in after being topped. I will begin some low stress training with it this week to really open it up and let the nodes bush right out. I haven't decided if I'm going to top the nodes as well and get 8 main colas going yet. Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Baby 2 is showing some odd growth that is not symmetrical and appears to terminate at the top rather than continuing to grow, so I plan to top it to see how the new growth nodes perform.

This week we plan to drop the level of the water in all buckets and let the bubbles do the work. A quick check of pots yesterday showed that they all have roots dangling now. We also plan to up the nutrients again to the full recommended dose for young plants which is about 1/4 the dose for mature girls.

Thoughts, constructive comments, kudos and advice are gratefully accepted and appreciated! Despite the handle (an ongoing joke in my house), I am not rude(rood), tho definitely a newb. lol
:smokin:

Week 4

We did a water change today.

Changes we made were to drop the pH below 6 to open up the range for Mag and Cal absorption.
Nutrients are again at 1/2 recommended dose for their size and age (the dose went up, it is half the recommended for small well established plants as opposed to new starts).

All plants are now topped, Baby 1 and 3 are now have some LST going on in an effort to open up their middles and encourage more growth. I'm trying to bush them out as much as possible. Luckily they seem to be an indica dominant strain, so they like the bushiness.

Group shot:

Baby 1,
Measures 4" tall by 9" wide, healthy dark green, roots are white and healthy looking, no smell or sliminess as noted early in the week. Was topped at the third node a few days ago, new growth is healthy and aggressive, all showing a first set of leaves with a second well on the way. The two biggest fans were tied down in the final pic to allow for deeper light penetration to the new nodes.

Baby 2,
Had some issues this week. It appeared well enough to top at the third node, then was hit with some heat stress. The large fans became brittle and curled and were removed. The plant appears much smaller but is bouncing back very well.
Measures 2 1/2" tall by 3" wide, healthy dark green leaves, root is a creamy color verging on brown but no smell or slime (water level was dropped to below the net pot to increase air to roots). New growth is vigorous and healthy appearing, first set of new leaves open with second set growing in. Nutrients are 75% recommended for new starts or fragile plants.

Baby 3 (aka Monster Baby)
Looks to be trying to take over the space. Measures 8 1/2" tall by 14" wide, dark green leaves and much thicker stalk. Roots are a cream color, no smell or slime (water level dropped somewhat to increase air around roots). Was topped early in the week to slow it down and bush it out. Does not appear to have slowed down at all! New nodes are already 4" plus tall and working on their 3rd set of leaves. The biggest nodes were tied down for some LST in an effort to open up the middle for better light penetration to the other nodes (final pic).

Baby 4,
Measures 4" tall by 9 1/2" wide, was topped at the third node today. Dark green and healthy leaves. New nodes have first set of leaves, but much better light available now that it is topped. Roots are a dark cream to light brown, but not smelly or slimy (water level dropped for same reason as listed above). As it catches up with the other 2 larger plants, I will probably start it on some LST to improve light penetration as well.

Dirt Baby,
Surprised us yesterday. I thought it was suffering heat stress again, but turned out it had drained its reservoir and was drying out. I rinsed out it's reservoir today and added water with a slightly higher nutrient level than last week. I removed the two larger fans as they were brittle from drying out. New growth is slow but healthy. It was also topped earlier in the week and the new nodes appear to forming well despite the added stress. Measures 7 1/2" tall by 4 1/2" wide.

week 5

Week 5 was another week of learning. This entry reflects my findings and actions on 7/15 and observations up to today.

Again ran into what appeared to be heat stress, but the temps in the room have remained steady in the mid to low 70's. Popped the lids and found every bucket had root rot going on. A trip to the hydroponic store and I came home with reservoir thermometer and a quart of SOS.

After dosing the babies with the SOS, there was immediate improvement in the general stature of the plants. While the roots remained a distinctive brown for a couple days, a few days after the dose, there was a noticeable growth around all the brown locations. In addition, the water levels have been dropping steadily and at rates I haven't seen until this week.

On 7/15, we did a water change. I scrubbed out the buckets, air lines and wiped down the airstones as best I could to remove as much of the brown growth as possible. We refilled the buckets with super cold water and added a few ice cubes to help keep the temps down during a particularly hot day.

Despite the root rot, all the plants gained a tremendous amount of growth.

Changes made this week included adding SOS to the reservoirs at the recommended dosage levels and upping the nutrients to the full recommended dosage for young, medium sized plants. We also played around the pH enough to figure out what an approximate rating of 5.5 looks like using the testing kit with have and were able to drop the pH to an approximate 5.5 and really open up the Cal/Mag range for nutrient. The result was obvious within a couple days- all four of the buckets turned a deep shade of green and again the growth really took off.

Today I popped the lids again and the water was down dramatically. We pH'd a gallon of water with no nutrients for each bucket to top back up. Again we made sure it was super cold as we are headed into a very hot spell for the next few days.

On an interesting side note, while reading up on what exactly pre-flowers are, I discovered my plants have them. But they have been present on every new growth node from the very beginning. I didn't think anything about them because I have only read about them appearing (or not) once a plant reaches a point where it feels ready to flower. My plants have obviously not been ready to flower at all before this point, so it must be something with this particular strain.

We are happy with the growth so for and while 2 of the buckets could be swapped to flowering, we are going to continue vegging for about another 2 weeks because we have a vacation planned very shortly and I want to be here to monitor the swap.

LST has been going great, the results are amazing. I am probably done with the last round of serious training with the two bigger plants as of today. They will be allowed to just grow in from this point with only minor adjustments to try to keep the canopy as level as possible. The two smaller plants are on their first and second rounds of training and are responding well. The two bigger plants have been moved to the side and the two smaller are now directly under the light and in what seems to be the sweet spot. I hope this will slow the bigger ones down a bit and encourage the smaller ones to catch up.

We will be moving the plants to another room where it will be easier to adjust and monitor the room conditions (much less outside exposures, the sun doesn't hit the side of the house) and will give us more room to accommodate the flowering as the plants really bush out and stretch. Also, it will allow us to direct vent and limit the possibility of the neighbors catching a whiff or nosy friends finding the "tomatoes." We will be picking up some of those mylar emergency blankets to use to create a grow tent in a space about 5 times bigger than the current closet they reside in.

On to the show:

Group shots on 7/8, 7/15 and 7/19

Baby 1

Doubled in size! Measures 12" tall by 18" wide. Dark green with some leaf curl. All nodes are on set 3-5 of leaves and has some 7 fingered leaves. Has 6 mains tops with several new, smaller ones. Has a full entangled ball of roots with 2 brown areas. LST: a few days prior, the first main fans were tied down along with the lowest two stems to open up the center. On 7/19 the big fans were released and the four largest stems were tied down to allow for more aggressive growth in the center.

Last week to this week:

Baby 2

More than doubled in size! Measures 4.5"tall by 9" wide. Dark green and all nodes are on their 2nd to third sets with aggressive new growth. Currently showing 4 mains and several smaller new tops. Has long strong roots but was hardest hit by root rot with three large brown areas. LST was started on 7/19 once the plant has some good strong stems and aggressive new growth.

Last week to this week:

Baby 3

Didn't quite double in measurements, but overall growth by volume was probably close to double. Measures 12"tall by 22" wide. Dark green, all nodes at 4-5th set of leaves with many 7 fingered showing. 6 main nodes, 4 larger minor ones and several smaller ones vying for space. Full engulfed and entangled root ball that had the air stone wrapped up, 3 areas of brown. Water was added a few days prior to water change because there was only about 1/2 gallon of the original 2 gallons left in the bucket. The center of the plant is crowding in with new growth. LST: the 4 largest and lowest stems have been tied down for a couple weeks and are providing many new nodes. On 7/19 two more of the larger nodes were pulled way from the center in order to even out the height across the plant. They were getting much closer to the light than any of the others and I don't wan to raise the light much yet because 2 of plants are still quite a bit shorter yet.

Last week to this one:

Baby 4

Also nearly doubled in measurements, but really beefed up volume wise. Measures 8"tall by 16"wide. Dark green with some leaf curl. All nodes at 3-4 sets of leaves with a few 7 fingered showing. Has 4 main nodes and several new ones coming on strongly. Strong web of roots with 2 brown spots. LST started a couple days before with the first set of main nodes tied down. Center filled in nicely and on 7/19 the next largest set were also tied down.

Last week to this one:

Dirt baby:

seems to be having a difficult time developing, I suspect its because the roots suffocate until the water levels drop. measurements this week were almost exactly the same as were the pictures. The plant itself was limp much of the week. I added some of the SOS to the dirt as well as the reservoir and once the temps dropped some, the plant seemed to perk up some. I have no great hopes for this plant.

On the good news side, several of the tops I kept from the first round of topping I did were dropped into some water and forgotten about. When i found them today, most had some roots started. My wife cleaned them up and placed them in some clean and pH'd water to see if she can encourage some more root growth. If so, we may also have our first set of clones.

week 6-7-8

Vacation and work got in the way of my updates. Things are going well for the most part. pH has become increasingly difficult to control tho. This seems mostly due to my attempting to control the various cal-mag deficiencies by raising and lowering the pH. A trip to the hydroponic store and a long conversation about a couple of issues resulted in a bottle of Cal/Mag coming home with us. It seems to have helped tremendously.

On the down side again, our city water seems to have changed yet again. What used to take about 10 drops of pH down to adjust to the correct range in 2.5 gallon res, is now taking more like 30-40. Recently our city updated its water system by updating its soft water conditioner..... So, all my plants suffered some pH burns as i struggled to adjust to the right range using the colored pH tester. I will be picking up a pen later this week. Too much guess work involved in comparing color changes.

I built a grow box in a small room we use as a dressing room. Its next the upstairs bathroom where guests rarely go. It has the added advantage of being on the darkest side of the house, so has the least sun expossure and as a bonus is on the off street side. The box is 4x4x7, built out of OSB I had laying around from a roof replacement. We picked up a 250 CFM fan, a carbon filter and a timer. I couldn't afford the 6 in carbon filter I wanted because the store would not honor its online advertisement for a good filter at a lower cost and so ended up purchasing a 4 inch filter and reducer until I can upgrade. So far, the fan and filter are doing pretty well on the smell front. I will need to upgrade within a few weeks tho and get either another inline booster or stronger fan. The humidity is super high at the moment. The plants seem to love it, but I dont want my buds to rot out later on. The box is still rough, but all the holes are plugged where light can enter, there is plenty of intake holes in the floor (in fact, we can feel a slight breeze in the room moving toward the box). It needs to be lined with mylar, but my budget is beat at the moment and work isn't offering any extra hours for a few weeks.

I installed a timer last night and have officially swapped over to 12-12! They have gone more than 8 weeks while we worked to get the box done and running after our vacation. They are a lot taller than I wanted them to be, a couple of them are a bit over 4 feet if we include the bucket height. I am concerned about the stretch, the box is only 7 feet tall and it will take some work to get the light to that height if needed. I do have a lot more room to continue with some LST if needed to help keep some head space and I have decided to leave my MH bulb in for the first couple of weeks to get the extra penetration of light in order to hopefully reduce some of the stretch.

I'm interested to see how many fingers my leaves will get. We thought they had stopped at 7 since we didnt get any bigger ones for a while. But when we came back from vacation (only 6 days gone), we had 9 and 11 fingered leaves. The damage from cal-mag deficiencies and pH burns has prevented the top leaves from doing well.

On to the photos:

The box:

250 CFM fan hooked to a 4in carbon filter. (Yes they are hung with clothes hangers lol)

Group shots:

week 8, 7, 6 respectively

Preflowers: This is my favorite. Since reading up on them and finding out that a plant can be sexed using them, I am very happy to announce that 2 are definitely female (hairs included) and 2 are likely females. A small convo with local "medicine man" revealed that one of our local growers uses feminized plants that he hermies. Some how his seeds got into a lot of his product. So, its likely we coincidentally got feminized seeds in our bag.

Week 8 from baby 3:

dunno how well it shows up in the pic, but this one has hairs

Week 6-7 across the spectrum:

The plants have been stressed at various points, I am a bit worried about them herming on me, but so far so good.

There has been various amounts of damage across the plants. One seems to be unaffected by nearly everything, one very sensitive to everything and the other two fall in between. They are very much individuals. I started with a Mag def, lowered the pH and had that go away only to develop a Cal def, but when I tried to adjust for that, I ran into pH burning etc.

I am very happy to report that since adding SOS to the res, there has been no more occurances of root rot, instead there was a huge growth spurt across the plants. All have doubled in size over the last weeks and all stand between 30-36 inches tall. Their width has not done much, but then they were closely clustered in the closet. In the grow box there is far more room to spread. I will start some LST shortly to bring the tallest down a bit and open the plants up.

pH pen coming later this week and im thinking about a ppm meter as well

Just switched to 12-12, so more pics in a week or so

Re: week 6-7-8

The black buckets are hydro res's, the orange bucket that has the leaves in it is my clean-up bucket. I trim off the damaged leaves and drop them in it, but also use it to set the plants on temporarily while I run the buckets to the bathroom, dump and clean them. I take care to make sure the res's are clean and free of everything but the water and chemicals I add. Thanks for the question tho :)

Quick update, work has been hell....

On the plant-side, good and terrible news.

2 plants were fully male and met the chopping block and compost pile. 1 plant hermied badly and met the same fate.

1 plant is all girl! Monster baby (bucket 3) has decided to spread out and enjoy the extra room in the 4x4 box i built for her. While trying to even out my canopy somewhat and open the plant up for better circulation, she decided to push out a lot of new growth. I am now 23 days (or so) into flower. When counting budsites the other day, I counted over 100, but after looking at some other pix on here, I realize that some are multiple parts of what will become colas (i think).

She is not stinky (much) and when I prune off leaves, they have a decidedly mild grapey smell. I have been selectively removing those fans that block buds and other leaves when I can't weave them under. She is a very thirsty girl! I have been adding a gallon to a gallon and half of water every day! This has made pH somewhat of an issue and I have constant small pH burns. I have a pH pen now that has made testing so much easier.

Pix to follow shortly (i hope).

P.S. despite the difficulties I have seen on other threads with starting clones (especially Vlad it would seem lol), we have had no issues. Of the 5-7 clones we cut when we were sure of gender, all but one rooted ready in a mason jar set on the window sill of our bathroom. I'm sure they love extra humidity in the bathroom, but the jar is clear and the roots are exposed to sun. This has not seemed to slow them at all. I have a new clone bubbler set-up and they will be moving in shortly.

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom