Every branch a trunk!
Every one! Even the thinnest ones are strong feeling like bamboo skewers!
Highya SO,

Holy Moly!! Serious buddage from the SIP! Must've made you smile a few times while trimming. They look mouth watering! Gorgeous looking buds! Happy Smokin'
I smiled the whole time Bode! This bud was all hidden from sight for the most part! Crazy!
Whoa Nelly that’s a hoss… nice work StoneOtter!!!!
Thanks 013!
Beautiful, Stone! That was a great specimen to use for your inaugural run.

Next time someone asks me if they can actually flower in these things, I'm going to link them to that first pic in your post. Thanks for showing us your plant. :thumb:
Thank you for promoting this method so well! Somehow you've rekindled and reinvigorated this decades old way to get it done! I'm so glad!

Ahoy the SIPSTERS
Not sure but I think they are starting their motors. They were fertigated last week with 1 gal of MC each. None have been ever top watered. This has been a rest I needed. DWC still has me feeling whooped. (old man whimpering)

I am running 4 trays and a regular @farside05 faux Pro-Mix on the side. All plants will move under Mega Light when they get big enough to warrant turning that beasty light on. Here they sit this morning.

The tomatoes are 420 related sorta
gonna make a SIP tray for em.
Full Sails to ya:love:
Hold on!
They look ready to blast off!
The plant SO just ran under wraps was beautiful. I put it on because my Labrador puppy was attracted to the smelly medium provided by EarthBox. Now after @StoneOtter showed no problems, I decided to leave the covers on and see how they run. Ifin they get too watery looking I will remove them.

The tomatos are going to SIP on the porch. Did you show how your DIY container is built?
So I got some roots on the very top of the soil that way. I fingered around a little on top and I found very few roots happening in the top inch. I need to look more. I'll get back with that. Definitely use the cover is my take.

Thank you for promoting this method so well! Somehow you've rekindled and reinvigorated this decades old way to get it done! I'm so glad!
I'm still amazed that more (most?) growers don't use these things, or at least give them a try. BUILD-A-SOIL did one of their grow seasons with them but even Jeremy sort of dismissed them like they were mainly for new growers until they learned how to water properly with the wet/dry method.

I can't imagine ever returning to that "old" method as, for me, the results were simply too dramatic to ever want to go back.

Anyway, another great grow from the Land of Otter. Thanks for sharing. :thumb:

This is much more efficient.. you get way more nutrients and water to your plant than with a wet dry cycle and there's no run off, and I firmly believe the plant is happier having a water vein at the bottom than being drenched on top.
And it's clear the plant is happy being able to drink all the time, just like you see in hydro systems.
Water roots are not the enemy.
And you can put your time into what's important giving structure to the plant to get nice buds.

This is much more efficient.. you get way more nutrients and water to your plant than with a wet dry cycle and there's no run off, and I firmly believe the plant is happier having a water vein at the bottom than being drenched on top.
And it's clear the plant is happy being able to drink all the time, just like you see in hydro systems.
Water roots are not the enemy.
And you can put your time into what's important giving structure to the plant to get nice buds.
Well said. :thumb:

I'm still amazed that more (most?) growers don't use these things, or at least give them a try. BUILD-A-SOIL did one of their grow seasons with them but even Jeremy sort of dismissed them like they were mainly for new growers until they learned how to water properly with the wet/dry method.

I can't imagine ever returning to that "old" method as, for me, the results were simply too dramatic to ever want to go back.

Anyway, another great grow from the Land of Otter. Thanks for sharing. :thumb:
We'll see with more growing! Why fight a battle that doesn't need fighting!?. My cloth pot grows go well, SIP so far even better! Now if I can figure out the right lst for 4 in my tent I'll beat my weight record! The record isn't "the" important thing but it's an important thing! I forget what it is now but I'm working on getting 3 elbows from a grow in the 4 x 4. This is going to raise the bar! That's 12 zips a piece! It's going to happen!

We'll see with more growing! Why fight a battle that doesn't need fighting!?. My cloth pot grows go well, SIP so far even better! Now if I can figure out the right lst for 4 in my tent I'll beat my weight record! The record isn't "the" important thing but it's an important thing! I forget what it is now but I'm working on getting 3 elbows from a grow in the 4 x 4. This is going to raise the bar! That's 12 zips a piece! It's going to happen!
Invite me pretty please? :dreamy::drool::goodluck:

Hey - back again with more SIP experiments. Doing the Dynomyco comp and two birds one stone - SIPS and Solos which I don’t really do. Not going the other soil thing. The nute stress will kill me!

One design thing not mentioned in my design drawing below is using a “Big Sip” straw is I can put a normal sized straw in it and check the Ph of the res - when we re pot to these its coco/hydro nutes. I can’t not test my Ph 🤣

Its coco in a tiny SIP basically. With Co2 on flip!

So anyone got comments on my sketch please let me know!

The “house plastic”
Is that sort of 3mm coloured corrugated plastic sheet. We have offcuts from a house & Co made for our daughter. I’ll be looking in the dollar store for something umm less plastic. Dunno got some ideas one the holes through. There’s actually a secondary air gap as its corrugated… that’s of interest. I could have a secondary root area.

Anyway throw out some thoughts and check out the comp. Its great product.

Nick

91A7E2CA-A665-42E0-85F5-293AAD428BD4.jpeg

Thoughts

Why Not SIP for Newbies?​

When I first read about folks not understanding why should anyone walkaway from a SIP I tapped myself on the back for having switched over to using the containers. Just 3 weeks in SIP and I can see why everyone is so excited. I have done basically nothing except one gallon MC each at the 1 week mark. This comes as a stark difference in my last run conducted in DWC. I worked my tail off keeping those buckets happy. The load could have been improved with better technique, but really was too much for my frailty. I was ready for a good rest, and now I have had it. But…

I miss gardening my early girls. Miss fussing over the food, the ph, the parts per ect. I will find creative ways to add more work to this or will pass of boredom. This just don’t feel the same connection. I wonder if a new grower should take the easy path before conquering the craft. I learned and learned changing from one method to the next and doubt I would be as confident of my abilities had I only learned SIP.

Perhaps equally important is to consider the development of Love. The love a cannabis gardener develops for his or her craft. The Love of almost “maternal instincts” that develop between a gardener and the cultivars. Here I feel like I put them in a boarding school or something. I will come back and get you when you’re all grown up. Hehe

Disclaimer: Only a 3 week Sipster.
Mental ramblings

I will find creative ways to add more work to this or will pass of boredom. This just don’t feel the same connection. I wonder if a new grower should take the easy path before conquering the craft. I learned and learned changing from one method to the next and doubt I would be as confident of my abilities had I only learned SIP.
For me totally. I want to do the harder photo/hydro route to my roots.

But learn the craft with Outdoor, soil and Solos and soil and solo SIPs

I think you make a great point - and its valuable reading. You get better results I reckon but ist fun and teaches the biology of the plants with a little reading.

Your grow motivation is easy, low maintenance probably stealth its great.

For me its love of the plant so I’ll enjoy experimenting with SIPs of different sizes.

For & Co its yield and for us per sq/cm meh. Its too much hassle. Its a flavour of aeroponics and we worry about the water temps from background and meh. We run a bit bigger.

So yeah double edged - great intro to growing are SIPs for time poor people, but don’t miss the joy of the plant along the way!

Nick

Looks good, Nick. Except for your roots (of which you have none). No worries though. The SIP will fix that for you. :cheesygrinsmiley:
Cart before the horse Azi!

I’m
Not making root assumptions. I think they are more SWICK at the moment. Encouraging that long low root growth before a more pure SIP (all in the same Solo pot, just changing style slightly on flip - well only medium, SWICK to SIP, Ph and seedling soil to coco peat) apart from those its a pure SIP grow. Oh Blasted with Co2.

Yeah. Normal stuff

I bet I killed one by morning 😅

😅

But yep - if I can grow one without & Co snd maxing parameters maybe it is perfect for people for a bit easier. That’s great. You smoke it whatever. Enjoy the plants. Love ‘em. I do.

Nick

Thoughts

Why Not SIP for Newbies?​

When I first read about folks not understanding why should anyone walkaway from a SIP I tapped myself on the back for having switched over to using the containers. Just 3 weeks in SIP and I can see why everyone is so excited. I have done basically nothing except one gallon MC each at the 1 week mark. This comes as a stark difference in my last run conducted in DWC. I worked my tail off keeping those buckets happy. The load could have been improved with better technique, but really was too much for my frailty. I was ready for a good rest, and now I have had it. But…

I miss gardening my early girls. Miss fussing over the food, the ph, the parts per ect. I will find creative ways to add more work to this or will pass of boredom. This just don’t feel the same connection. I wonder if a new grower should take the easy path before conquering the craft. I learned and learned changing from one method to the next and doubt I would be as confident of my abilities had I only learned SIP.

Perhaps equally important is to consider the development of Love. The love a cannabis gardener develops for his or her craft. The Love of almost “maternal instincts” that develop between a gardener and the cultivars. Here I feel like I put them in a boarding school or something. I will come back and get you when you’re all grown up. Hehe

Disclaimer: Only a 3 week Sipster.
Mental ramblings
Different strokes I guess. I like the simplicity and robustness of the grow and I think it's a great way to go for the beginning grower. They get to have near instant success and have the positive feeling that a good result brings. Better I think, than the grower that starts off with frustration trying to learn how to water.

Just like cars, I guess. For many (most), they don't need to, nor want to, know how to first rebuild the engine before they take it out for a spin. For some, though, a detailed knowledge of all the inner workings is important.

I'm more the former. I love my garden and my plants, but disliked the nute mixing thing when I tried to grow Hempy.

We all have our path. I'm trying to dial in my grow using my extracts. That's what drives me currently.

But, it's also like any other advice we would have for a new grower. We suggest soil mixes, or nutes we've had success with to help shorten the learning curve. A better way to water is just another tip we pass along.

Different strokes I guess. I like the simplicity and robustness of the grow and I think it's a great way to go for the beginning grower. They get to have near instant success and have the positive feeling that a good result brings. Better I think, than the grower that starts off with frustration trying to learn how to water.
Just that Azi!

Perfect.

I get both sides. Agree its great for casual high yields. Genuinely - fantastic.

I’m a guy with 200 wasabi seeds in the freezer to grow a 5x5x10’ SIP style grow from next month. Yeah thats feet!) a mega SIP! For fun 🤣

I love the grow - and its a great intro to growing. Cheap and easy. V cool.

Its a super technique.

Nick

Highya Maritimer, guys,

No, I don't have a camera (iphone). 2' wide, 6' long, 18" high. Made out of 5/4 by 6" decking. I'll use a pond liner, and 3 lengths of 4" drainage pipe for a reservoir. Will be big enough to plant lettuce and pickling cukes (Things I normally can't grow for whatever reason). Probably have an herb in there also. Happy Smokin'
that sounds a lot like this DIY maybe it can help...

here's the best INDOOR sized (27 gallon) SIP DIY I have found online ... I know lots of peeps would benefit so I'm reposting

Highya RD, guys and gals,

That's very similar to what I'm doing. Love that article/picture show! I'm only doing vegs in it. I have a nice area (needs more sunlight), but the ground makes up for it. Happy Smokin'

Back
Top Bottom