Smokie's CFL Perpetual Auto Grow - 2016

Looking simply amazing smokie! Big B is looking super. Great job on the bondage! Id take one of those cfl splitter rigs and move it over to Big Bs side. She has enough foliage to love more light. The lil ones dont really have alot of surface area to need that much light. Kick Big B some lumens and shift gears!! Weeeoooo :high-five: :yahoo:

p.s. I use exclamation points alot.. im not yellin.. I just get so excited seein pretty plants. :goof:

Thank you!

Once the new light comes in, the cfls will be packed away for emergencies. Since that should be this week, I couldn't be bothered to grab 2 more cfls, a splitter and a plug in while I was out today. I figure a few more days won't hurt, she's made it this far despite how much I've thrown at her :laughtwo:

Do you have a light meter? What I did was measure my cfls at 1-2" (low+ to nml).then when I got the LEDs I measured for the same reading I got from the cfls. Came to a distance of 24" or so which is what the manufacturer specs read. I got some heat stress tacoing at 24 inches though so I'd start it at 36 " during the transition, watch for light and heat stress/burn. 24" is good for vegetation. And then for flower you can lower it even more to say 14-18" all depending on how tour girls react. My LEDs are 2(48x5w) much more intense than cfls are even if your touching the Bulb with the meter. Anyways you'll love the extra power during flower.

Do you have a light meter? What I did was measure my cfls at 1-2" (low+ to nml).then when I got the LEDs I measured for the same reading I got from the cfls. Came to a distance of 24" or so which is what the manufacturer specs read. I got some heat stress tacoing at 24 inches though so I'd start it at 36 " during the transition, watch for light and heat stress/burn. 24" is good for vegetation. And then for flower you can lower it even more to say 14-18" all depending on how tour girls react. My LEDs are 2(48x5w) much more intense than cfls are even if your touching the Bulb with the meter. Anyways you'll love the extra power during flower.

I don't have a light meter... Neat that such a thing even exists. Manufacture suggests 12" - 36", so that explains the range. At least I already know what to look for heat stress wise. That still gives me lots of room in the tent though. Yippee!

Big B - day 29

DSCF14603.JPG

DSCF14614.JPG

It's not as noticeable in pictures, but there is some yellowing going on. It's best seen in those two pictures. It's only in the future bud sites, and the girlfriend hasn't said anything yet, but I'm a little worried.

Her next water is tomorrow (she's not light enough today), so I can adjust whatever needs to be adjusted then. But I'm not sure if anything even needs to be adjusted or if that's normal. Help please and thank you?

You've been relying on the soil nutes correct? Sounds like you could add some nitrogen base nutes to your next feeding/watering. Start at 1/3 strength or so. Can't quite tell how light coloured they are from the pics...can you take a top shot.
4 weeks in the soil nutes are getting used up and could use some replenishing. These soils are tricky because it might still have lots of P/K but has used up the nitrogen. Obviously this only my opinion, but seems very much like what is occurring. Hope we can get some confirmation

She got nutrients last feed so I want to say day 26, but only 1ml grow, bloom, micro and 0.5ml B1. I have her on every second water she gets nutrients, so tomorrow should just be water. Good to know the soil nutes should be running low though! About time :)

Edited to add: girlfriend just asked if I ever looked with the lights off... I'm clearly no where near as bright as those lights because they're perfectly green in sunlight. Now I get why she didn't mention it :laughtwo:

She got nutrients last feed so I want to say day 26, but only 1ml grow, bloom, micro and 0.5ml B1. I have her on every second water she gets nutrients, so tomorrow should just be water. Good to know the soil nutes should be running low though! About time :)

Edited to add: girlfriend just asked if I ever looked with the lights off... I'm clearly no where near as bright as those lights because they're perfectly green in sunlight. Now I get why she didn't mention it :laughtwo:

HaHaHa...hate when that happens. They look GREAT to me!

I had an update planned for yesterday, but life came up and only pictures happened. They're still on the camera because I *thought* I'd be done my carbon filter setup and the new light would be in. Well wouldn't you know, I had 2 tries fail, and the light never showed. Since misery loves company, I also happened to find some browning pistils on Big Bitch tonight. Scattered, maybe 5-10 total and no sign of nanners. Still, not a good sign.

Postal service says light will be here tomorrow, but Mother Nature is calling for another wicked storm so I guess we will see. I will continue on attempt number three for the filter, and I'm gonna get 'er done. I have a nice little nug of northern lights calling my name now, so off to relax and look forward to a new day.

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, mammals and cats...
We have a double update scheduled for today! :yahoo:

On Monday...

Big B - Day 31, Auto Widow

DSCF14833.JPG

She got 1 liter of PHed water.

Ivy - Day 11, Blueberry x Sweet Tooth

DSCF14883.JPG

She got her first dose of nutrients a day late (whoops). She got 0.5mL of grow, bloom, & micro in 1 liter of water. Back to the schedule with this one since the soil nutrients should be running low.

Ms. Norbury - Day 8, Candy Kush

DSCF14892.JPG

When I picked her up Monday morning, I had a bit of a panic attack (as I do frequently in the garden). Her roots were all over the bottom of her pot, running down the sides... just everywhere. I figured that was a sign to transplant her. Since I was trying to get my butt in gear to get ready to go hang out with a friend (and his adorable dog), I didn't have time to find a proper pot. I remembered seeing something about someone growing in reusable bags, and thought to myself "well, they do say recycle...".

Once in her new home, Ms N got a cup of water with 0.5mL of B1 to help her along since the soil she is in now has very few nutrients. She will be on the feeding schedule her next water.

And the finale for Monday, the final family shot with CFLs:

DSCF14783.JPG

And now, for the main attraction... today's update! :woohoo:

Big B - Day 33

DSCF14984.JPG

DSCF14962.JPG

I tried to get a picture of her browning pistils, but my camera sucks more than a Hoover. I'm 75% sure that the fan was blowing the CFLs and grazed the top a few times. I can find no balls, no nanners, nothing that indicates a hermie. I also had to keep adjusting the CFLs back to the center, so that's my thinking. Other than that though, she just keeps growing.

Ivy - Day 13

DSCF14944.JPG

Now scroll back up and look at Monday's... :high-five: Someone wipe the stupid proud grin off of my face. Please?

Ms. Norbury - Day 10

DSCF14953.JPG

She's still bitty, but that was one heck of a transplant.

In other news... The light arrived today!

DSCF14995.JPG

I am sooooo glad to have this upgrade in. The temp has already gone down a few degrees, and the humidity is higher. :high-five: It's sitting at 29" above the canopy right now. I need to figure out a different hanging system than what came with it.

Carbon filter is almost done. The fan will be wired tonight, and it'll all get shown off in the next update!

Let there be light! :goof: :goof: :woohoo: :goof: :goof:

I bet you'll save power aswell. Depending on how big your LED is... You had 230 watts of cfls going? What does you LED run at?

Looking good smokiebear, can't wait to see the carbon filter you've built. Till then, KIG:green_heart:cheers

Hey Smokie!

Beautiful plants you got and congrats on the Haze.IO win!

Hey MzSiroz. Thank you!

Let there be light! :goof: :goof: :woohoo: :goof: :goof:

I bet you'll save power aswell. Depending on how big your LED is... You had 230 watts of cfls going? What does you LED run at?

Looking good smokiebear, can't wait to see the carbon filter you've built. Till then, KIG:green_heart:cheers

Right?! It's so bright, I need shades!

There was 232 watts of CFLs, and the panel is 300 watts though I'm thinking draw is 140 like most lights that size. That part confuses me, but I'm still thinking upgrade. All those different spectrums are going to be goooood!

Thanks! I hit up the dollar store for most of my stuff, so it's creative to say the least. Spoiler alert; there was a kids popcorn bucket involved :rofl:

I like "shopping" for possible things that could be used or converted to a grow piece. Whenever I'm in a store I'm thinking what could I use that for, would that work, what if I did this... And so on.. Lol i guess I'm going crazy like that. The 300 watts is total possible output, they usually draw about half that from the wall. So yippee for more power with less electricity.

February 26th update:

My carbon filter was based on a few tutorials mixed together. I used a popcorn bucket, a mini planter, a drill with 1/4" bit, rectangle air filters, carbon and some tights. I slipped the completed filter in the top 8" hole, tightened both strings, and slid my fan directly on top. This is how it looks from the inside:

DSCF15113.JPG

I'll need to get a real filter, or at least make one with more carbon, but this is doing fine for now. Combined with the gel air fresheners throughout the rest of the house, it's much more contained.

Now that the smell is taken care of, I'm thinking ahead about living organics and no till soil. I've started to plan the soil for the next set of girls as I'm expecting it to need to cook. The whole process amazes me, and I can't get it out of my head. Feed the microbeasties, and they take care of the plant. It almost sounds too easy...

Anyways, on to the current girls!

Temp stays roughly 27-28 degrees with 55-60% humidity throughout the day.

Big B - Day 35

DSCF15062.JPG

Big B got 1.5mL of micro, grow and bloom last night in 1 liter of water. She weighed 7.8lbs before hand, and 10.4lbs after. This morning she is 9.4lbs. She's starting to dry faster, yippee!

She decided that she had had enough of the zip ties holding her down, and popped them all off. New plan is to put safety pins around the edge of the pot and tie her to that. Now if only I could remember where the container of safety pins is... :laughtwo:

Ivy - Day 15

DSCF15044.JPG

Ivy is still 10.6lbs, so she doesn't need anything. Took her picture, checked the new growth for more even colouring (check!), and put her back in the tent.

Ms Norbury - Day 12

DSCF15013.JPG

I moved the girls around while I had the other 2 out and forgot about Ms N! I ran back and snapped her picture, but she didn't get weighed since I didn't think of it Monday and have no starting weight. She is heavier than Ivy though, so I think she's bulking those roots out. Or, I hope so at least.

And that's all for today folks!

:circle-of-love: Have a great weekend everyone! :circle-of-love:

Love the weights, I personally find it truly does help get some insight into what's happening inside the pot.

Big B's training looks great man, she's gonna explode on ya.

Thanks! If it wasn't for you, I probably wouldn't have bothered to be honest. I think it was your first journal where it was explained and I jotted it down. I weighed them when they were originally potted and then forgot to continue.

The bigger Big B gets though, the more I've been telling myself I need to. It's helpful to have that wee bit of confirmation from the scale that yes, she does need water, or no, she doesn't. Since gardening does not come natural to me, I'll need that for a bit.

I'm actually experiencing her exploding now. I've got to get her tied back down or I won't be able to. I almost wish she was a photoperiod so I could clone her. Despite all the heat, probable overwatering in the beginning, and overfeeding, she's continued to be a champ!

My grandmother-in-law passed away last night, so I'm sorry for the lack of visuals this morning. I'm not exactly all here. Wanted to update quickly though since I'm not sure how much I'll be around in the coming days.

Big B got fed last night. She was 7.8lbs before water, and 10.0lbs exactly after. I did get her tied back down right after the last update. She's a feisty one.

Ivy is 9.6lbs... very slowly drying out. She did however get topped this weekend, and it looks like I didn't mess it up this time!

Lastly, Ms Norbury has passed on. Long story short, my black thumb is still very much black. Can I stop killing plants now?

Sweet Seeds' Bloody Skunk is now germinating. Since it was a freebie, I won't feel as bad when I mess it up.

Hug someone you love today, hold them tight, tell them you love them. You never know when you're going to have to let go. :hug:

Back
Top Bottom